Author Topic: NMT / Media Player Comparisons  (Read 145773 times)

Offline dinoalbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NMT Comparison : PCH A-110/EG-M31b/HDX1000
« Reply #180 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:12 PM »
thanks raptor..

another question...what if kung ang connection ko ay ganito:

for video :

NMT (HDMI) <---HDMI cable---> LCDTV (HDMI)

di ba may lalabas na na audio sa LCDTV nyan?

now kung gagawin ko for audio:

NMT (HDMI) <---HDMI cable---> LCDTV (HDMI)/ (White & Red audio out) <----White & Red audio cable----> HTIB (Aux In)

parehas lang ba ang result?  ;D

sensya na talagang nag-aaral palang sa mga bagay na to :)

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #181 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:36 PM »
thanks raptor..

another question...what if kung ang connection ko ay ganito:

for video :

NMT (HDMI) <---HDMI cable---> LCDTV (HDMI)

di ba may lalabas na na audio sa LCDTV nyan?

now kung gagawin ko for audio:

NMT (HDMI) <---HDMI cable---> LCDTV (HDMI)/ (White & Red audio out) <----White & Red audio cable----> HTIB (Aux In)

parehas lang ba ang result?  ;D

sensya na talagang nag-aaral palang sa mga bagay na to :)

The tv out is also stereo ... you're better-off connecting your NMT directly to your HTIB, this way if you're just listening to MP3 music contents from your NMT, you do not need to turn on your TV
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline dinoalbert

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 02:32 PM »
better to wait for the DTS decoding firmware upgrade sir, instead of buying an expensive receiver/speakers with optical in. Since PopCorn Hour, was the 1st one to update the firmware with DTS Decoding, eGreat and WD TV HD will soon follow.

In my setup, i just connected the HDMI cable to my LCD TV. For some movies that i can't wait to watch with DTS, i use AudioConverter software to include AC3 track back to the MKV file, so i can watch it in my TV. In Case i have now the budget to buy a receiver i will just select the Audio DTS track of the HD file.

for the firmware waiting...I think its just a matter of time now :)

Patience is a virtue IMHO

@joey,

Thank you sir for the tip. Yep I have decided to just wait for the firmware update of Egreat. Mas maliit kase sya at mas madaming features if Im not wrong.

For the meantime, since gusto ko na manood ngayon ng HD movies, I will be using temporarily my HTPC (since my HTPC pala can use 5.1 speakers na rin).... bibili nalang muna ako 1TB harddisk preloaded with movies, which later I can use with Egreat pag nakabili na ako :)

Then ipon uli para makabili ng Receiver :)

Thank you so much for the tips...

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 02:33 PM by dinoalbert »

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 01:40 PM »
So with that, which NMT do I need na kahit stereo sound lang ang lalabas?

Kelangan ko parin ba ng Receiver or a new HTIB na may Optical Out....para ma-enjoy ang 5.1 audio?

All NMTs can output stereo sound (2 channel) for files with AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio.  But for files with DTS, only PCH can decode and output it in stereo sounds at the moment.  If you own other NMT, just wait for future firmware update.

If you want 5.1 surround sounds, you need a new receiver or HTIB (with optical in).

Offline dinoalbert

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 04:03 PM »
thank you sir.

So PCH is the only NMT that will work with me...specially for those files with DTS.

But I seem to like Egreat more than PCH but since it has no DTS decoding yet and still waiting for firmware update for the DTS decoding, I guess I will just have to use first a HTPC while waiting for that update. Patience is indeed a virtue :)

thanks..

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #185 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM »
This is how I set up my DVD player right now.
Could I do this with NMT's?

NMT <--HDMI-->   LCDTV     : for video
NMT <--Optical--> Receiver  : for audio

Receiver does not have HDMI connection.

Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #186 on: Feb 21, 2009 at 10:03 AM »
This is how I set up my DVD player right now.
Could I do this with NMT's?

NMT <--HDMI-->   LCDTV     : for video
NMT <--Optical--> Receiver  : for audio

Receiver does not have HDMI connection.

considering your receiver doesnt have HDMI port, IMO this is the best way to go :)

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: POPCORN HOUR and NOVATRON iamm ntd38 -=+=-pros and cons-=+=-
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2009 at 01:35 AM »
Novatron NTD38 uses the older Sigma 8623 chip, less power to drive huge 1080p files. I read through google somebody complaining his audio isn't sync in his 1080p HD movie, nobody responded though.  I also couldn't find a forum of Novatron users... goes to show nobody uses them.

Dun ka na sa egreat, popcorn or WD TV which have the newer 8635 Sigma chip and a lot of happy users.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009 at 01:37 AM by ditoy_eagle »
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
Re: POPCORN HOUR and NOVATRON iamm ntd38 -=+=-pros and cons-=+=-
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2009 at 12:27 AM »
sir,

kindly check www.mpcclub.com for the latest and popular mkv media players currently sold in the market.

i have not seen novatron brand there.

tama sila sa support, malaki ang community ng popcorn. kahit tvix talo sa costumer support ng popcorn ;D

check www.networkmediatank.com

sir,

halos di na kasi kailangan customer support ng tvix .... halos lahat ng issue na nagpapahaba ng thread ng ibang nmt's di naman nangyayari sa tvix ... very user friendly and stable ... no issues with playback and very rich in features - e.g. dts downmix was available more than a year ago, new features such as true-HD support is also available  :)

firmware updates are also regularly provided

Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
WDTV vs. egreat m34a
« Reply #189 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 05:21 PM »
I know both media players  are not on the same playing field(NMT vs basic media player) but since the price are not too far,  I decided to make a comparison of both units.  Having both units, here are the observations I got when comparing both units.

PQ - in my eyes, I haven't noticed any difference. I connected them to both plasma(full HD, HD ready, edtv)  and lcd(HD ready).

AQ - no difference. Connected both to an AVR

Initial Loading time - WDTV has a shorter loading time than the m34a

Remote - egreat is bigger with more buttons to access the features of the player. It is also more responsive than the WD.

Features - this is where i felt the m34a is worth the upgrade

1. Plays the following files I tried (avi, divx, iso, mp4, mkv, m2ts, bluray rip, mp3, FLAC). Using the remote of a 31b, you can even browse thru the menu of dvd iso's. WDTV has problems playing large 1080p mkvs, bluray rips and iso's properly.

2. You can search a movie by percentage, ff or rew, go to a specific time. WDTV can only fast forward or rewind so you'll have to wait if you want to go or check the end part of the movie.

3. Most mkv files show black bars on top and bottom of the screen when using WDTV. On the egreat, you can watch using the whole screen.

4. You can copy, move, and delete files on your hard drive or from one hard drive to another hard drive connected to the other usb port using the egreat. WDTV can't manage files

5. Connections - egreat can send up to 1080p via component out. This is attractive for those people with HD tvs without hdmi connections . Aside from the hdmi, WDTV has composite out which can only send 480p(?)

6. Egreat has a power switch at the back. When it shuts down, the hard drive also powers off, unlike in the WD, when it is off, there is still power going to the external drive. Using the remote of the 31b, you can put the unit on standby.

7. Out of the box, it was easy to stream movies to this unit when connected to the router. You can easily see files on your shared folder and access them. No need for external hard drive if you don't have one at the moment.

8. Browsing experience for movie or music files is more "fun" when yamj or movie jukeboxes are installed for the egreat to access. On WDTV, only a small cover art is seen.

9. DTS downmix for egreat - self explanatory. I really have no use for this as i enjoy the experience of surround sound. I will probably use this when travelling or going to a place that has a tv but no surround system.

I think the extra cash spent on the egreat is worth it for those who are debating on which unit to buy. But if you have an avr and simply just want to watch a movie, the WD is a great player. Another plus for the wdtv is that it has a linux system and a lot of followers who build custom firmwares for added options and features. You can install a custom firmware and add a usb to lan connector to connect the unit to the network.

When it comes to portability, I still prefer the units which can accomodate internal HDDs. Less gadgets to carry, less wires and one power source.

Feel free to comment  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 05:46 PM by Furio »

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: WDTV vs. egreat m34a
« Reply #190 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:00 PM »
I agree with you bro.  The networking capabilities set NMTs apart from WDTV.  Once WDTV releases a player with networking capabilities then the playing field will at least even out.  Besides, NMTs have been around for quite sometime so the designers have worked out all the quirks and features for playback convenience.  But I'm sure WDTV will catch up sooner or later as in fact they have released lots of firmware making the machine better and better each time.  Before the release of egreat m34a, WDTV is the better bang for buck especially to those who don't need the networking capabilities and additional features.  But now, it's more difficult to decide considering the small price difference and whether you are willing to spend more for those additional features.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:03 PM by milken »

Offline Beefy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:05 PM »
Actually by installing the wdlxtv firmware to the current wdtv, it already becomes a "NMT". You can even run torrents with it

Offline TeddyCuds

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • This is It!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #192 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:17 PM »
Actually by installing the wdlxtv firmware to the current wdtv, it already becomes a "NMT". You can even run torrents with it

bro,kindly explain how to run torrents with it? WDTV has no LAN input right? how do you get torrents then? thanks!

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #193 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:17 PM »
Thanks for the comparison. If I was going to get one now, I'd probably go for the m34a. But I'm content with the WDTV for now. Question lang:

xxx

3. Most mkv files show black bars on top and bottom of the screen when using WDTV. On the egreat, you can watch using the whole screen.

xxx

When you say this, does it mean the egreat changes the aspect ratio/allows you to change the aspect ratio of the mkvs?

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:17 PM »
wdlxtv is an unofficial firmware for WDTV.  i'll be wary of installing it and tinkering with my device baka masira... but it's just me.

bro,kindly explain how to run torrents with it? WDTV has no LAN input right? how do you get torrents then? thanks!

check this link: http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv

In case I'm a new buyer, I might choose egreat m34a over wdtv.  But if I already have WDTV, I won't upgrade for now but would instead wait for this ultimate NMT:   http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=97320.0  May kamahalan nga lang. hehe
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 06:25 PM by milken »

Offline Beefy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 07:46 PM »
Thanks for the comparison. If I was going to get one now, I'd probably go for the m34a. But I'm content with the WDTV for now. Question lang:

When you say this, does it mean the egreat changes the aspect ratio/allows you to change the aspect ratio of the mkvs?

there's an option on the egreat that lets the picture "fit to screen". On the WD, you can only do that by choosing zoom.

The black bars to me is distracting even on a large plasma. i feel as if I'm not making the most out of my screen. But that's just me  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 07:48 PM by Furio »

Offline Beefy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 07:54 PM »

WDLXTV firmware

plus

Offline claymore

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #197 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 08:35 PM »

When it comes to portability, I still prefer the units which can accommodate internal HDDs. Less gadgets to carry, less wires and one power source.

does egreat m34a have an internal hardisk bay? or does it us a external Hardisk to access videos/media like WDTV?

Offline Beefy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 08:37 PM »
external HDD just like wdtv

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 09:35 PM »
nice thread!

repost ko lang what I said earlier....

coming from a wdtv, honestly i'm not impressed with the picture quality, it seems dark and some colors are off, some scenes also tend be a little grainy which i never experienced before ( watching the same content ) already tried my best to enhance the quality by adjusting the levels of the m34a and my pv80. i just can't seem to get a better picture quality which the wdtv gave. toggled between blu-ray, dvd and this and you can really see the difference. network connectivity is also a bummer especially for dummies like me.  :(

i guess the only thing that suffices is the dts downmixing which is great not to mention the hdmi, sata and optical cables that came with it.

the PQ is parang yung mga sidewalk dvds. generic na generic and dating. parang comparing nokia phones with those generic china phones, napapabili ka lang dahil sa features pero overall performance ay walang kwenta.

my apologies to other egreat owners pero this is how i really feel towards the m34a, hindi ako na satisfy sa picture quality. mas better pa picture quality ng wdtv less nga lang ang features.

baka naman lemon lang yung nakuha kong unit but i also asked the others who also came from wdtv....the same din ang napansin nila.

overall i thought i was upgrading but it was the other way around pala.

if i switch to popcorn hour especially there's a new one coming...ok kaya? i guess this time i have to see the differences in person before purchasing one. puede naman demo sa mga dealers natin.

verdict: i'm not happy with the m34a, for me PQ comes first secondary na lang yung other features. just my honest opinion.  ;)

Offline XmetaL

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 09:51 PM »
WDLXTV firmware

plus

scary...some releases may even brick your WDTV

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #201 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 07:47 AM »
there's an option on the egreat that lets the picture "fit to screen". On the WD, you can only do that by choosing zoom.

The black bars to me is distracting even on a large plasma. i feel as if I'm not making the most out of my screen. But that's just me  ;D

Ah okay, got it. :) Me, I don't mind the black bars naman. I prefer the correct aspect ratio (no stretching) to having it fill my screen. But I agree that it's useful to have the choice.

Offline Beefy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 08:41 AM »
nice thread!

the PQ is parang yung mga sidewalk dvds. generic na generic and dating. parang comparing nokia phones with those generic china phones, napapabili ka lang dahil sa features pero overall performance ay walang kwenta.

I only experience this when playing divx or avi files and not with mkv on BOTH egreat and wdtv. And more noticable on LCD than with plasma. With MKVs, almost close to original bluray.
If you got your unit at ehome why not bring it back there and do an ab comparision. They also have wdtv. Most likely you got a bad unit or you have a bad file. I personally think that kind of PQ is unacceptable and should get a refund  ;)

Offline XmetaL

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 09:55 AM »
thanks. i sure do hope it's only a bad unit. i have 2 tb of movie files and didn't experience unwanted PQ from my former wdtv unit. i was trying to watch a full movie last nite and boy did it get me dizzy. parang nanginginig yung movie, probably something to do with the frame rate, never experienced the same movie from my former wdtv.

hopefully i can have it changed :(

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM »
... i was trying to watch a full movie last nite and boy did it get me dizzy. parang nanginginig yung movie, probably something to do with the frame rate, never experienced the same movie from my former wdtv.

Can you check the Auto Framerate and TV Output settings of your 34B?  I think you saw judders.

Offline rgbautista

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #205 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM »
"When it comes to portability, I still prefer the units which can accomodate internal HDDs. Less gadgets to carry, less wires and one power source."

My sentiments exactly, I wish there was a provision where you can place the drive internally so there's less clutter.  Anyway, it's not a major issue to me since I'll use it with my external 2.5" drive.
Denon AVR-1612, Anthony Audio, SVS, Xtreamer Pro

Offline XmetaL

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 01:20 PM »
Can you check the Auto Framerate and TV Output settings of your 34B?  I think you saw judders.

thanks. already did check it out. also tried different frame rates and settings. still the same.

i don't think i have a bad unit. already been receiving pms from others that they are also experiencing the same.

yup even how much you try to change the settings.....madilim pa rin yung details. blacks and greens are very prominent.

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 01:28 PM »
Is this issue of image quality the same with all the other egreats?  you are right, the WD TV I had before had smoother image. Just needed the DTS and networking capability of the egreat that's why I switched.
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline loniticz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 01:33 PM »
hindi kaya yung sinasabi ninyong PQ issue ng eGreat ay related dito? http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=20381

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 02:03 PM »
hindi kaya yung sinasabi ninyong PQ issue ng eGreat ay related dito? http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=20381

galing mo, bro. i have always thought there is something wrong with the e-great picture as i have the chance to use a m32b once. one telltale sign is the more magenta look especially on skin tones with some files.

RE: [NEW] Wrong color space conversion

You can think of the bug in the following way:

For video files, which are encoded in YPrPb, only Y has the correct contrast (gain) setting. Because of this, once you do the color space conversion to RGB (which is done internally in the NMT), the contrast for R, G, and B are all wrong, but the contrast of white is correct. This is why gray test patterns display correctly, but color test patterns and skintones do not.

i didn't have as much difficulty adjusting the pics to my liking with the wdtv as it is with the e-greats (as it is with PCH i suppose).

I noticed it first when I was trying to calibrate my plasma to D65 with a REC 709 test pattern. I was able to get a good greyscale but had a really hard time calibrating the color gamut. I always thought there was a problem with my sensor or my plasma so I gave up.
When I use the colorimetry tool to correct this, I can also see more shadow details.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009 at 06:03 PM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS