Author Topic: NMT / Media Player Comparisons  (Read 144079 times)

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: NMT / Media Player Comparisons
« Reply #240 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 07:56 PM »
I think sir to narrow it down..what is your priority in a media player? gui? functions? playability? networking? streaming etc etc..then after you listed your priorities and needs..then others can chime in to help you sir

Offline vinlovski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Astone AP-100 HD Media Player vs. Western Digital HD TV
« Reply #241 on: Oct 29, 2009 at 08:43 AM »
hey guys,

just wondering if which among these two NMTs is better..any reviews or feedbacks regarding this one?

ive read some reviews here that the Astone AP-100 can play 1080p movies with 15gb to 17gb sizes smoothly..while the WDTV has some issues playing large files..

hope to hear from you guys..cant decide what to buy..

thanks!!

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
WD TV Live vs. Xtreamer
« Reply #242 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 10:03 PM »
Work in progress...   :(  until I figure out how to create a table, I'm going to be hitting the space bar a lot  :(

WD TV Live    Xtreamer                   Xtreamer Notes
Internal Hard Drive Bay            No                  Yes             Accepts 2.5" internal drive. Current max. is 640GB as of 11/03/09
Remote Control                     17-key             35-key   

Connectivity
   USB 2.0 Host                              2                      2
   USB 2.0 Slave *                          0                      1      For direct connection to PC. Xtreamer appears as an external USB drive
   HDMI                                        1                      1
   Ethernet 10/100                          1                      1
   Wi-fi **                                    Yes                   Yes
   S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio           Yes                  Yes
   Composite A/V                            Yes                  Yes
   Component Video (Y Pb Pr)           Yes                   No

Network Attached Storage (NAS)
   Personal network attached server   ?                  Yes    Store and share documents and media content. Read/Write/Delete access from your PC
   Dynamic DNS (DDnS) Service         No                  Yes    Access your files from anywhere in the world

Features
   Ultra-portable                                   No             Yes   With an internal hard disk, Xtreamer is the perfect companion for your                                                                                    trips and holidays

Dolby TrueHD & DTS MA Downmix      ?              Yes   100% lossless audio that's identical to the studio master.
   & Pass Through                                                        Takes full advantage of Blu-ray disc quality with even 7.1 channels

High-quality streaming music, talk        Yes***     Yes   Numerous music genres and topics, produced by thousands of
   and audio                                                                    broadcasters

Blu-ray ISO Support                     No              Yes   Decodes Blu-ray images packed in ISO format (FW 2.0)

DVD ISO Support                         No              Yes       DVD Menus are recognized and are accessible by the Xtreamer

Password Folder Lock                   No              Yes   Allows you to have password-protected folders

Wide Banner Icons (XBMC style)    No              Yes   Place customized banners (wide icons) in each folder (FW 2.0)

iPhone Remote Control                 No              Yes     Xtreamer can be controlled from iPhone, iPod Touch or any other device                                                                                   with a web browser (FW 2.0)
   High-Def Graphical User Interface    ?               Yes         Crisp and clear icons in all TV settings.  Variable user preferences at the click of a button (FW 2.0)

Live Internet Content                   No              Yes   Watch live FLV streaming content from hundreds of web publishers like CNN, ABC, BBC, ESPN and more

Flash Video (FLV) Support             No              Yes   Aside from live streaming FLV, you can also watch FLV files saved from YouTube, etc.

Music JukeBox                             No              Yes   Supports live internet radio streams and Shoutcast-based streams (FW Dec. 2009)

Movie JukeBox                             ?               Yes   Automatically generates a jukebox so you can see pictures and info on your movies (Coming)

eTRAYz Optimization                    No              Yes   Automatic handshake and optimized NFS 1080p streaming with the eTRAYz (optional) NAS

Windows 7 Compatible                  No              Yes   Automatically start sharing your music, pictures, video and documents across your LAN

UPnP Web Gateway                      No              Yes   Control and access your device from anywhere in the world

Tversity and TwonkyMedia            ?                Yes   Create a personalized lineup of live videos, live TV channels and thousands of videocasts in HD and SD

NFS Client                                  No              Yes   Stream content from high-performance NFS servers. Scalable parallel access to files distributed among multiple servers

Subtitle Control                           ?                Yes       Select color and position of subtitles, define size and outline color. Select external subtitles in MKV and FLAC files

Playback Advanced Trickplay         ?                Yes        Define Hue and Saturation. Zoom movies and photos to desired ratio, on x-axis and y-axis

Easy DDnS Support                     No               Yes        Provides easy access to your files from anywhere in the world

FTP Server                                No                Yes       Built-in FTP service that allows you to access the device for file transfers from any PC in your LAN

ONLINE SERVICES - Following is a partial listing of available online content:

Video
   YouTube                                   Yes                 Yes
   Picasa                                      Yes                 Yes
   Yahoo Video                              Yes                 Yes
   CNN                                          No                  Yes
   NBC Today                                  No                 Yes
   CBS Face the Nation                     No                Yes
   CNET                                         No                 Yes
   BBC                                           No                 Yes
   Apple - Movie Trailers                   No                 Yes
   Beyond the Trailer (Reviews)        No                  Yes

Audio
   Pandora                                    Yes                    No    <--Pandora is limited to U.S.A. access
   Live365.com                              Yes                    Yes
   iPodcast                                    No                     Yes
   Radiobox                                    No                     Yes
   ABC News                                  No                    Yes
   BBC Podcast                              No                     Yes
   CNN News                                  No                    Yes
   Indiefeed                                   No                    Yes
   Jamendo                                    No                    Yes

Photo
   flickr                                      Yes                       Yes
   Picasaweb                               No                       Yes

RSS Feed
   Yahoo! Weather                       No                        Yes
   Yahoo! News                           No                        Yes
   Yahoo! Xchange                       No                        Yes
   MSNBC News                           No                        Yes

Click on the link to see "New Channels in Xtreamer Internet Service"
http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1546

*  Full Read/Write/Delete access... just like any external hard disk
** With optional USB Wireless-N Antenna/Dongle
*** Requires third-party service such as Live365 and Pandora

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2009 at 10:47 AM by Bitstream »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: WD TV Live vs. Xtreamer
« Reply #243 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 10:34 PM »
Here's an interesting read from iboum.com, re their best budget player for November:

"For the month of November, iboum.com's Best Current Media Player award goes to the WDTV Live. It has both the most powerful hardware and the better user interface backing it up. We are also going to award second place to the Xtreamer because of the impressive ongoing development of their device. If the fan problem gets sorted and we get the promised movie library then the WDTV Live had better watch out.."

Last month, their best budget player was the cinematube for being the cheapest realtek based player.

Here's the link: http://www.iboum.com/blog/nov-09/best-media-player-november-2009.php

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 10:40 PM »
Here's an interesting read from iboum.com, re their best budget player for November:

"For the month of November, iboum.com's Best Current Media Player award goes to the WDTV Live. It has both the most powerful hardware and the better user interface backing it up. We are also going to award second place to the Xtreamer because of the impressive ongoing development of their device. If the fan problem gets sorted and we get the promised movie library then the WDTV Live had better watch out.."

Last month, their best budget player was the cinematube for being the cheapest realtek based player.

Here's the link: http://www.iboum.com/blog/nov-09/best-media-player-november-2009.php

I guess everybody's entitled to their opinion - iboum.com included.  Take note though, that they are a hardware vendor who sell WDTV, CinemaTube, Xtreamer and Popcorn Hour media players.  Have you noticed: they've given CinemaTube a "Best" award in October, followed by WD TV Live in November... I wouldn't be surprised if it's Xtreamer's turn in December.

That being said, I think the review should have covered more ground.  Notably absent is any mention of the unique capabilities of each player (especially the Xtreamer, which, for the record, I have a personal interest in).  Just take a look at the first post in this message thread and you'll get what I'm driving at.

Software is where the battleground is today.  When many of the major media player vendors are capable of putting out products that generate a good picture, features and functions that add capabilities and value to your media player are major turning points. 

"Content is king", so they say... and being able to feed the widest selection of content to your media player is just as important as being able to access your content from wherever you may be.  The Xtreamer excels in both.

In choosing which media player to invest your money in, one can't go wrong by looking beyond a "nice user interface". The superior features and capabilities of the Xtreamer are worth considering... especially since its price vis-a-vis that of other popular media players are not far off from each other.

Note:  There is no Xtreamer 'fan' problem to speak of today, except for the noisy fans in production Batch #1 (Philippines received Xtreamers from Batch #3 onwards). 

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2009 at 09:49 AM by Bitstream »

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Nov 04, 2009 at 01:35 AM »
I kinda get it.  Still can't figure out how to reduce text size so everything will fit in neatly.  And I still can't figure out how to adjust column width.

Now using this message as a 'scratchpad' to build a neater table, after which I will replace the first message.

Feature/Spec        WD TV Live      Xtreamer      Xtreamer Comments
Internal Hard Drive Bay             NoYesAccepts a 2.5" internal hard drive. Max. capacity is 640GB as of 11/03/09[/size]
Remote Control17-key35-key
Connectivity
  USB 2.0 Host22
  USB 2.0 Slave01For direct connection to a PC.  Xtreamer appears as an external USB drive
  HDMI11
  Ethernet 10/10011
  Wi-fiYesYes
  Optical Digital Audio11
  Composite A/VYesYes
  Component Video (Y Pb Pr)YesNo
Network Attached Storage(NAS)
  Personal network attached    serverNoYesStore and share documents and media content. Read/ Write/ Delete access from your PC
  Dynamic DNS (DDnS) ServiceYesNoAccess your files from anywhere in the world

Nov 4 Update:  I give up!  It takes WAY too much time and effort to format a table.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2009 at 09:34 AM by Bitstream »

Offline 31gna

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Nov 04, 2009 at 10:43 AM »

Can the "No's" under WDTV Live be fixed by a firmware update (or whatever) eventually? Which are hard "No", meaning to matter what firmware update is done it is still a No?

Sorry, very new to this and in fact in the market for my very first nmt :) Hope I was able to convey my question clearly.

Offline shainoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Nov 04, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
hey guys,

hope to hear from you guys..cant decide what to buy..

thanks!!
Have the same problem as yours, i got the Xtreamer, a little more expenseive pero sulit naman.

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Nov 04, 2009 at 09:02 PM »

Note:  There is no Xtreamer 'fan' problem to speak of today, except for the noisy fans in production Batch #1 (Philippines received Xtreamers from Batch #3 onwards).  

Agree. I experienced using the Xtreamer for a few days with the fan set to run at the highest settings.

I had to check by turning over the Xtreamer and put my hands in the fan port just to be sure it was running, because it was very, very quiet.

Obviously the review was on the first batch of Xtreamers. The current products being sold today are the fixed and best running ones.

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2009 at 09:02 PM by Bogsle »

Offline jeanette

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Nov 17, 2009 at 05:46 PM »
Where can I buy HD-Pro?

Offline JaD

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 12:29 AM »
is the xtreamer better than the cinematube? xtreamer cant download torrents with the latest FW..
i cant decide which among the two to get.  ;D

Offline joeyrodil

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 11:54 AM »
i had use MediaGate, WDTV, popCornHour, eGreat, Astone, HD Pro and Xtreamer

for me, the NMT that suited for my needs is Xtreamer

do not do unto others what can you do for today

Offline jeffsawyer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Dec 03, 2009 at 09:25 AM »
Thanks for linking to my review of the CinemaTube here. :) I've been using it for a while now and it's been great for me, but there has seemed to be some slow down with the remote. It could just be in my head though. For the price, it seems well worth it. If it were more expensive though, I would really want some additional features. Let me know if you guys have any feedback or questions based on my review. I'd love to hear it.

-Jeff Sawyer
http://www.jeff-sawyer.com
http://twitter.com/jeffsawyer

Offline jt68255

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
WD TV LIVE vs. XTreamer vs. Cinematube
« Reply #254 on: Dec 03, 2009 at 10:33 PM »
Hi Guys,  Im just wondering which of the three is the best.  It will be my first time to buy a media player so I am a bit cautious which one to buy, given they aint cheap!  So after hours of reading reviews and studying their website features and overviews...I'm now closer to getting Xtreamer first.. WD TV Live.. And last Cinematube.. each one with a hair line lead over the other though.  But before I start purchasing the xtreamer,  I would like to get the input from fellow pinoydvd users, given you have more experince on this, especially those who have tried these 3 media players already..

All your suggestions and opinions are highly appreciated!  Thanks!

Offline manholed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
WDTV Live or Xtreamer Im noob please help me decide
« Reply #255 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 06:04 AM »
Im new to this world, currently have Samsung 32 series 4 with HT220 as HT. watching with DVD movies for 6 months now. And I want to try this HD stuff. Just to give me an idea, I bought a 500gig HDD and watch it in my LCD using my laptop thru HDMI. Well it is superb indeed, and my next step is to purchase an NMT player. Please help me decide.

Thanks

Offline DYC

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: WDTV Live or Xtreamer Im noob please help me decide
« Reply #256 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 08:55 AM »
I would go for Xtreamer. :)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 09:48 AM »
You won''t go wrong with either one.  ;D

The WD TV Live is primarily designed as a plug and play video player, with added networking, music and photo viewing, features to access your media. This simplicity is reflected in its design and user interface.

The Xtreamer is designed to be an affordable yet all-around networked media player, and its robust feature set reflects that philosophy. Plus it's more agressively priced and Bitstream is very much hands-on as a dealer/distributor.  :)

As far as PQ and audio quality is concerned, I have not noticed any glaring difference: both are equally good.

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2009 at 09:53 AM by gaol »

Offline wijo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 02:20 AM »
Count me in as well...
About to venture into my first media player...

Thanks for all the help...

Offline manholed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 03:52 PM »
Thanks...Took the xtreamer...now on waiting mode..

Online raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #260 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 05:06 PM »

that was fast  ;D

good choice anyway
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 06:03 PM »

Congratulations!  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 06:21 PM »
Recommending the Xtreamer to my relatives who are new to these HDD media players, but choosing the WDTV Live for myself.    Cant live without high def component video out.

Offline cnn

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #263 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM »
 ;D Me too... About to get a NMT for my folks this christmas...

Still deciding if the Egreat EG-R1 (selling around 6k... plus a special HD service  from seller)

or the Xtremer also at 6k

Appreciate the help guys... :)

Offline MaCMeL

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Dec 16, 2009 at 02:20 PM »

Now that a week had past, how do find your experience with Xtreamer? Or are you still in waiting mode  ::)
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
MaCMeL

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Realtek 1207 vs Realtek 1283DD
« Reply #265 on: Dec 24, 2009 at 05:28 AM »
Posted by MediaMan
Beta-Testers and Developers Team Leader
in the Xtreamer Official Forum

I have found good comparison for users who not sure if they should go for xtreamer or acryan and medi8ter.
This is example why the xtreamer chip is much better than the 1073 Realtek player chips.

Xtreamer uses the newer 1283DD chip where as the competition uses the 1073 by realtek.

Link to differences:

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22163

Full respect to the original author.

As you can see the xtreamer chip is much more powerful and would allow more functions and abilities.

Do not be fooled by biased reviews on net of Acryan and Medi8ter.

Full explanation here also about differences in the sigma chips and realtek.

Also as you can see Tvix was fan of sigma but have moved to the Realtek chips

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... h-CN&tl=en

Last line says:

"In general, SMP8635 and RTD1283 suitable for demanding users and enthusiasts, and have the home theater-level space. RTD1073 for general users and the family, for more free space!"

Maybe we will see a xtreamer 2 with full recording capabilities.

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2009 at 02:31 PM by Bitstream »

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Comparison: WDTV Live vs. Xtreamer
« Reply #266 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 06:50 PM »
Although the thread starter has already decided, some of you may have the same question of "WDTV Live vs. Xtreamer" in your mind.  I had the opportunity to compare both in my home setup, so here's a comparative summary (in no way comprehensive, but I hope it might help):

WD TV Live Advantages over Xtreamer:

- Faster bootup (seriously, this boots up like >10x faster than the Xtreamer)
- More powerful hardware
- Component video output
- More compact unit
- No fan, ultra-quiet (lack of fan has a disadvantage too, though)
- GUI is easier to use, Xtreamer can seem too techie
- Media search-by-filename feature
- Able to browse media by date and other criteria, while Xtreamer is only by folder
- Media browser is safer, Xtreamer allows delete and rename right into the media list (instead of just in File Manager)
- Matte finish, so less fingerprints (but also less elegance)
- Support for HDMI Deep Color

Xtreamer Advantages over WDTV Live:

- Comes with Wi-Fi bundle, so no need to make sure you buy a compatible Wi-Fi dongle if you need wireless.
- Has internal HDD, a better solution as the main media server at home
- Smaller footprint, designed for vertical orientation (with included base/stand)
- Fan with adjustable speed; Xtreamer's fan can be turned off but it's still there when needed
- Has internal volume control
- Uses plain old RCA which is easier to replace than WDTV Live's 3-in-1 AV connector
- Can browse entire library at once (no need to choose between Video, Photo, Music first)
- Remote is not as overly simplistic as the Live, less clicks needed to access many of the functions
- Favorites feature (I think WDTV Live doesn't have this, does it?)
- Displays codec info on the Info Bar (this may not be important to many of you, though)
- Much more internet content (although some are outdated such as News channels)
- Has advanced server features such as NAS, Web Server, FTP Server, DDNS.etc.
- Looks.  The Live is cute, but the Xtreamer looks more expensive.
- Price.  Xtreamer is packed with more features per buck.  (Better hardware can save the Live though, with future firmware updates)

Wishlist:

- I hope the WDTV Live, in future firmware updates, would have an Advanced Mode for more tech-savvy users, to enable many missing features.  Coz otherwise, its superior hardware wouldn't be fully utilized unless you play purely 1080p files encoded at very high bitrates all the time.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010 at 06:54 PM by Arnel Enero »
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline joeyrodil

• Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Jan 07, 2010 at 07:55 PM »
Does WD TV Live has DTS downmix?

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Speeding up Xtreamer boot-up process
« Reply #268 on: Jan 10, 2010 at 11:20 AM »
If you want to speed up the boot-up process of the Xtreamer,
turn off all applications (e.g. NAS functions, etc.)

Offline joeyrodil

• Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Jan 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM »
Best buy pa rin ang xtreamer guys, ang ganda na ng product, matindi pa ang support and R&D. And always improving ang firmware updates

in my own experience sa Xtreamer you can even used your Web enabled phone like iPhone to control the Xtreamer basic functions, actually plus factor lang ito

i don't know if any NMT had done that before, if ever Xtreamer is the 1st to do so

Cheers :)