Author Topic: NMT / Media Player Comparisons  (Read 143527 times)

Offline leomar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tvix m-6500a/7000a VS egreat eg-m31a VS popcorn hour a-100
« Reply #30 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
hey, it worked!

i shared drive d (my bd drive), and it showed video_ts and audio_ts.  pressing ENTER (on the remote) played the disc.

mind you, this is a pirated dvd (un-encrypted, or backup dvd).  will try to see if it works with original drives (though i doubt it).

so i think, bd playback is also possible since PCH supports VC1 and H264... i guess we have a very promising player, all around network player  ;D

Offline mrm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jul 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM »
hi,
    I just got my Egreat today. Paid 460 dollars for both items and 60 dollars shipping via DHL. I was tax 2003 pesos for my items by DHL.
All in all I spent 520 dollars and 2003 pesos tax. FYI, my items were under-valued at 160 dollars a piece and labeled as Hard disk sample.
If not for that, I'm sure I would have been taxed more. Will post feedback after I test them. Thanks

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #32 on: Jul 12, 2008 at 12:04 PM »
hi,
    I just got my Egreat today. Paid 460 dollars for both items and 60 dollars shipping via DHL. I was tax 2003 pesos for my items by DHL.
All in all I spent 520 dollars and 2003 pesos tax. FYI, my items were under-valued at 160 dollars a piece and labeled as Hard disk sample.
If not for that, I'm sure I would have been taxed more. Will post feedback after I test them. Thanks

good for you sir. i was taxed 3000 pesos on my pch + 750gb hdd (labelled as computer parts) with a purchase cost of $304 excluding shipping, arghhhh!!! dunno why the tax was higher than yours.

write your feedback sa e-great thread na binuksan ko para dun na lahat sulat ang mga future e-great owners.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2008 at 01:02 PM by GneW »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 10:42 PM »
I haven't researched the egreat, but on the other two i choose (just ordered online) PCH.

TViX 7000a, based on the reviews, is the most stable media player in the market now. For its price, you have usb slave, HDMI 1.3, sata connection. HDMI 1.3 is the best selling point here for DD TrueHD and DTS MA. But it can't bitstream the signals yet, which made the early adopters disappointed. Of course in the future, FWs might be released but no definite time yet.

I choose PCH because of the price/performance ratio. All mkv files in my collection doesn't contain HD sound files, i think the coax will do just fine. I'll just throw in 750gb IDE HDD and enjoy the mkvs.  ;D

totally agree with this, i really like the tvix but at almost twice to twice as expensive as the pch, no contest, popcorn rules. as for egreat, it has the same firmware as popcorn + usb slave (that's a great feature to have), does it justify the additional 50$, well, only time can tell. magkakatalo nalang sa build quality yan and reliability. we will just have to wait and see.

btw, popcorn is owned by syabas (the developer of nmt) while egreat just uses the syabas middleware for their product.

Offline gren

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 11:17 PM »
got robbed, er, taxed for 16xx pesos.  to think we undervalued it at 50, haha. didn't work.  to think that it worked for pch :P ah well, thems the breaks.

hi,

Offline STRIKER

• Collector
  • Liked:
POPCORN HOUR and NOVATRON iamm ntd38 -=+=-pros and cons-=+=-
« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 02:44 PM »
im thinking of getting either the popcorn hour or the novatron in the near future, and i hope to get feedback from my fellow PDVD citizens.

thanks in advance!!!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
Re: POPCORN HOUR and NOVATRON iamm ntd38 -=+=-pros and cons-=+=-
« Reply #36 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 03:05 PM »
i think with popcorn you can see a lot of feedback on the popcorn hour thread, as a lot of pdvd members have this unit already (myself included). but for novatron, i think this is still quite a new hd media player. first and foremost is how much this novatron cost.

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 03:26 PM »
i think with popcorn you can see a lot of feedback on the popcorn hour thread, as a lot of pdvd members have this unit already (myself included). but for novatron, i think this is still quite a new hd media player. first and foremost is how much this novatron cost.

yup and the most imporatant is firmware update :) pinakaokay ang support ng popcorn hour and malaki na kasi yung community niya :)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 04:02 PM »
yup and the most imporatant is firmware update :) pinakaokay ang support ng popcorn hour and malaki na kasi yung community niya :)

very true sir ert!

Offline STRIKER

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 04:50 PM »
thanks for the inputs guys....
with all due respects... kayo kasi seller ng popcorn hour and syempre love your own.

pero mas interested ako sa inputs ng regular users.

thanks ulit.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 04:57 PM »
with all due respects... kayo kasi seller ng popcorn hour and syempre love your own.

thanks ulit.

hindi ako seller sir striker. just a regular very satisfied customer of popcorn a-100. you can look at my set-up and some screen shots of the popcorn in action. and if you go to the popcorn thread, daming positive feedback sa mga users doon.

mahirap lang mag comment with novatron kasi wala talaga akong experience with this media player.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=79172.0

Offline STRIKER

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 05:06 PM »
hindi ako seller sir striker. just a regular very satisfied customer of popcorn a-100. you can look at my set-up and some screen shots of the popcorn in action. and if you go to the popcorn thread, daming positive feedback sa mga users doon.

mahirap lang mag comment with novatron kasi wala talaga akong experience with this media player.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=79172.0

my mistake bro. sorry.

cheers!!!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 05:10 PM »
my mistake bro. sorry.

cheers!!!

no problem bro, its just funny kasi after i bought this media player, my dv600 and hd-a3 seems to be gathering a little bit of dust so to speak. its that good for me.  ;D

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #43 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 03:45 AM »

thanks ulit.

sir,

kindly check www.mpcclub.com for the latest and popular mkv media players currently sold in the market.

i have not seen novatron brand there.

tama sila sa support, malaki ang community ng popcorn. kahit tvix talo sa costumer support ng popcorn ;D

check www.networkmediatank.com

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #44 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 06:49 AM »
mga pre, im a noob in this so pasensya na...

... what does popcorn hour do? can you just download content sa internet then have it play ? pwede kahit HD format?

can you link sites where you can download? madami ba and mabilis? around how long does it take to download 1 HD film? (mga 30gb+ right?)

Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 07:09 AM »

... what does popcorn hour do? can you just download content sa internet then have it play ? pwede kahit HD format?

can you link sites where you can download? madami ba and mabilis? around how long does it take to download 1 HD film? (mga 30gb+ right?)

plays hd content through .mkv file containers, 1 hd movie is around 4-8 gb big, with 1 mbps dsl you can download a movie from 18-24 hours. besides this file format it can also play other formats as well, mpeg, avi, divx plays mp3, wma and others pa.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #46 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 07:33 AM »
Is he new version of the popcorn hour, a-110 ba yon, does it have WLAN or wired lang sya like the a-100?
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 10:14 AM »
Is he new version of the popcorn hour, a-110 ba yon, does it have WLAN or wired lang sya like the a-100?

both a-100 and a-110 have no wlan, but the developers are developing a usb wlan stick which will work for both models, it wireless n protocol. i think the connection is still spotty at best. future firmware upgrades will hopefully improve the performance.  ;D

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 01:40 PM »
You have 5 questions:

1. popcorn? - you can use this instead of a PC to play movies.  What is nice about it is that it is smaller than a PC, and will probably be cheaper in terms of maintenance and power consumption.  It is basically a hard-disc player.
Problem with a lot of hard disc players, is that they don't support .mkv file playback (HD).  Popcorn does.  However, you can use a PC instead of popcorn.  Look under HTPC in using a PC as a player.  Advantage of a PC - you can basically play any video format (.mkv,divx,xvid,mp3,DVD,mpeg,VCD, bin,avi,qt, etc..etc..), future and present as long as you have the codec.  I use K-lite codec.  You will of course be limited by your hard disc capacity.  I have about 2TB on a PC for this purpose.

2. HD content? - yes, in the form of .mkv files.  It can also play Divx/.AVI files

3. Download? - need a torrent client like uTorrent.  Google it to download and setup the client.  Check www.mininova.org for the torrent files which you can download.    Downloading will slow down your internet connection (so don't do this at work   ;D )  Once you have the file, load it into popcorn to play it.

4. madami?  Yes,  under Prison Break alone, there are 500 torrents I believe.  Do a search on 720, 1080  or HD, might give you all the HD torrent listings at minnova.org

5.1 mabilis? - depends on number of seeders and peers downloading the same file.  Few seeders (like 1 or 2), will mean it will take a looooong time to download even a small 50MB file.  0 seeders mean you can't download it until someone seeds it.

5.2 how long? - depends on your DSL connection bandwidth, and the number of seeders and peers downloading the same file.  A single HD-720p  350MB .mkv (22 minutes running time) torrent file with about 100 seeders and a hundred peers, takes me less than an hour on a 1100kbps (about 140KBps) line.  In contrast, 5 seasons of  Futurama took me about 2 months to download non-stop.  My mistake was to download everything at the same time.  Should have been a few episodes (4-7) at a time.

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2008 at 03:33 PM by ericag_ph »

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 02:34 AM »
So you need a PC to download the files that you can later transfer to the NMT?  Hindi sya like a PS3 which can download files by itself?
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 06:44 AM »
not necessarily, nmt's have their own torrent application, as long as it is connected to the internet. however, if the torrent you downloaded is in rar form, you need the pc to un-rar it :)

and for me, if the audio is in dts, i still need o convert it to ac3, so pc padin. not an issue at all because i still connect my egreat to the pc to copy files over and arrange my mkvs (rename, etc) :)

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #51 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 08:08 AM »
you may also want to consider the EGreat models, which I think has more built-in features rather the the Popcorns... but Novatron seems more promising too. (disclosure: i own the egreat and the novatron and used to have a popcorn)
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2008 at 08:09 AM by jackryan »

Offline Javoy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 08:15 AM »
not necessarily, nmt's have their own torrent application, as long as it is connected to the internet. however, if the torrent you downloaded is in rar form, you need the pc to un-rar it :)

and for me, if the audio is in dts, i still need o convert it to ac3, so pc padin. not an issue at all because i still connect my egreat to the pc to copy files over and arrange my mkvs (rename, etc) :)

If you are willing to tinker around with your  PCH, you can actually setup telnet and also install the unrar software on the device itself.  I have set these up  on my PCH and when I download files in rar form, I just simply telnet to the device and unrar from there.  No need to transfer it back to the PC or Mac.   :)

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 08:46 AM »
I see. Thats good then.  Its just that I don't want to leave my PC on overnight or while I am at work to download gigabytes of stuff.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2008 at 08:47 AM by lithium_deuteride »

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 08:54 AM »
jackryan, your disclosure makes you this board's undisputed nmt guru  ;).  So Novatron is best.  Can you explain the advantages of Egreat over PCH and Novatron over Egreat.  :)

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 10:17 AM »
If you are willing to tinker around with your  PCH, you can actually setup telnet and also install the unrar software on the device itself.  I have set these up  on my PCH and when I download files in rar form, I just simply telnet to the device and unrar from there.  No need to transfer it back to the PC or Mac.   :)

ahh ok, i thought downloading rar'd files would be a problem for the pch. btw, i dont have the pch, i have the egreat m31a which i can just connect to the pc, so no problem for me. :)

lithium: currently i think there are 2 models for the pch (a100 and a110) and 2 for the egreat (m31a and m31b) available locally. im not sure about the novatron. nmts are pretty much the same, when i bought my m31a, here are the differences considered:

100 - no usb slave, no dts decoding, pass through lang
m31a - usb slave, no dts decoding, pass through lang ( for files with dts audio, i just convert from dts to ac3)

110 - usb slave narin ata, hdmi 1.3, with optional dts decoding (converted to pcm stereo)
m31b - usb slave, hdmi 1.3, with optional dts decoding (converted to pcm stereo)

i suggest you check out these threads for more info on the pch and egreat  :)

PCH - http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=79099.0
e-great - http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=80632.90

you may also want to consider the hdx1000.
hdx -  http://www.hdx1080.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=115&vmcchk=1&Itemid=115

regarding firmware updates, nauuna pch. then egreat release comes around 1-2 weeks after.

- jb
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2008 at 10:31 AM by penguin230 »

Offline popoyextreme

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 06:55 PM »
post deleted
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2008 at 10:00 PM by levi »

Offline ravencreed

• Collector
  • DVD ENTHUSIAST
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 24, 2008 at 01:43 PM »
is there a local seller ba ng hdx brand?

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
NMT Comparison : PCH A-110/EG-M31b/HDX1000
« Reply #58 on: Sep 24, 2008 at 02:06 PM »
While researching for my NMT, i wrote down some stuff which might be usefull for you guys. I haven't been able to verify other info though so i just left it blank.

Price (manufacturer)
Shipping (to pinas)
Price (via Intl) exc. Tax
Price (via local seller)

Chipset
Firmware
Memory

HDMI

USB

Network

Hard Drive Connection

Hard Drive Format

Cooling

S/PDIF Optical Output

Coax Optical Output

DTS Decoding

eSATA

Warranty

Card Reader
   (SD/MMC/Memstick)

Wifi

Case

Power On/Off Switch
Power On/Off via Remote
Max HD tested

Available locally

Local authorized seller:

Popcorn Hour A-110
www.popcornhour.com.ph

USD $215
USD $49
P12,672 at P48/$1
P13,500 (promo)

Sigma Designs 8635 Rev C.
same
256MB

1.3a

2x Host
1x Slave

Ethernet 10/100

SATA

NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3

Passive

Yes

1month replacement
1 year service

Optional (Dongle)

Steel

No
Yes
1TB

Yes

pinoydvd handle = "ert"
Ert Cell# 09175302988
EG-M31B
www.egreathd.com

USD $249

P14,000

same
512MB

1.3a

2x Host
1x Slave

Ethernet 10/100

SATA

NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3

Fan

Yes

16months

Optional (Dongle)

Plastic

Yes
Yes
1TB

Yes

pinoydvd handle = "gren"
Ehome Tel No. 7445923
HDX1000
www.hdx1080.com

USD $219
USD $50
P12,912 at P48/$1
no local seller

same
512MB

1.3a

1x Host/1x for Card Reader
1x Slave

Ethernet 10/100

SATA

NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3

Passive

Yes

no local warranty

Optional (Dongle)

Solid Aluminum Alloy

Yes

1TB

No

FYI:

a) eSATA is not usefull because the transfer speed is CAPPED to be somewhere near the range of USB due to the limitation of the chipset
b) eSATA/USB Host is used to connect an external Hard Disk to your PCH/EG/HX1000 to read/write
c) eSATA/USB slave is used to connect your PCH/EG/HX1000 to a PCs Sata/USB for the PC to control the HD inside your PCH/EG/HX1000
d) NMT are cheaper than HTPC but can do much less (video editing/word/excel/etc) but it does what it's supposed to (play all types of video).
e) Main advantage of NMT over HTPC is that it only consumes less watts (around 36W) as against an HTPC (around 200W+)
f) File size of movies: 720P .mkv  = 4GB    /    1080p .mkv = 8GB
g) Sample HD pics = http://myhdworld.multiply.com/photos/album/7/New_Screenshots_by_user_Munskie_Check_out_the_quality_Must_see#
h) For your ext2/ext3 formatted HD to be recognized by Windows, you first need to install Ext2IFS_1_11.exe to your windows system. Download it here http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2008 at 11:11 AM by [joms] »
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: NMT Comparison : PCH A-110/EG-M31b/MX1000
« Reply #59 on: Sep 24, 2008 at 04:29 PM »
I own Egreat M31b.  You may want to update your comparison re egreat.

Introductory Price:  P15,000.00 with 500gb SATA HDD (I heard the price is going to increase bec. of the exchange rate)
Local seller: eHome http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=81230.0
HDMI  1.3a
DTS internal decoding:  yes; via (1) add-on board OR (2) next firmware update.  [all the 3 nmt can't decode dts internally yet but will do in the next firmware update. in the meantime, egreat allows the option to add a dts board so that you'll get a dts sound. (I prefer to have my receiver decode dts though). No available add-on option exists in popcorn hour and hdx at the present]
Warranty:  1 year

I don't think the chipset limitation applies to transferring contents from PC to egreat and vice versa via eSATA (egreat connected as slave).  I was able to transfer 4.3gb file in less than 2 mins (1 min 45 sec).

Both Egreat and HDX received the Editor's Choice in mpcclub.com.  Aside from the three above, there's Elektron EHP-606 and the new Kaiboer K100.  Check out this thread: http://mpcclub.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=672  You can click "NMT clash file" to download MPC's comparison.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2008 at 04:34 PM by milken »