Author Topic: NMT / Media Player Comparisons  (Read 144094 times)

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: NMT / Media Player Comparisons
« Reply #330 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 04:21 PM »
Whats the best NMT that handles torrent downloading well? meaning it has fast downloads.

PCH can handle a lot of simultaneous downloads, you're limited by bandwidth. I remember reading other brands only support 1 download at a time so remember to ask (and test) para walang buyer's remorse.

The slower chips of some other brands also affect playback during downloading so if the unit is downloading at full speed baka mag-stutter playback mo. Not so on the 200 series of the PCH.

Offline toughthrone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #331 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 10:20 AM »
ano po ang best NMT na kaya ang external DVDrom? most of my collections are burned in DVDs...

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #332 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 11:12 AM »
bili ka na lang ng dvd player. it's a lot more cost effective than using an NMT as a DVD player.

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #333 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 07:02 PM »
bili ka na lang ng dvd player. it's a lot more cost effective than using an NMT as a DVD player.

+1

dami na pati naglabasang murang dvdp.  ;)

Offline dfl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Aug 24, 2010 at 12:39 AM »
Question lang mga bros. Although dvd players are cheap these days but yung decent hdmi players eh may presyo pa din. So im thinking of buying an nmt and then connect my external dvdrom dito. Gagana ba to? If yes, will my dvds be upscaled to 1080p as well? Salamat sa lahat.

Offline joshwachubby

• Collector
  • Liked:
My Brief Review on XTREAMER
« Reply #335 on: Oct 03, 2010 at 10:01 PM »
My setup is I stream through via wired Lan(NFS) using Synology NAS DS410. Connected to the DIR-655 router are the XT and Snology NAS. I have around 250 1080p MKV movies from well known encoders (Eureka, CtrlHD, CHD, ESIR etc . . . .) Here are my observations/comments on Xtreamer I bought last summer.

1.) Jukebox is almost unusable in its current state -

I have waited for months for the jukebox application. When it arrived, I thoroughly tested it and was really disappointed with its speed. Its almost unusable. I even tried to lower the picture resolution and that even didn't help. I decided to wait for several months for it to mature but it never did, still painfully slow ;

2.) Poor 1080p MKV streaming performance -

I noticed that several high-bitrate 1080p MKV movies are stuttering on some portions of the movie. I decided to experiment a little bit further and muxed said stuttering movies to a m2ts container, and to my surprise, the stuttering disappeared. I opened this up on the XT forums and I was not given a concrete answer regarding the matter. It seems that the only remedy is to remux all my movies to an m2ts container which I would definitely not do considering the time and effort it would require; and

3.) Unfriendly Accommodation in their official forum -

I don't even have to elaborate this as it is subjective experience on my part. Just find out for yourselves.

So would I recommend XT? Well I have 2 answers:
1.) Yes - If you play movies via USB/HDD and doesn't need a fully functional jukebox. It is really bang for the buck though.
2.) No - As for the reason mentioned above. .

Hope this helps!! Good day
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2010 at 10:02 PM by joshwachubby »
Toshiba 55XL700E
Onkyo TX-NR708
Polk Audio RTi A7's, CSi A6's, FXi A4's; DSW PRO 500 Subwoofer

Offline lakay77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Oct 16, 2010 at 07:10 AM »
may nakita ako
maesy E8HD
swak sa budget

Offline tantaritas

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Oct 18, 2010 at 05:05 PM »
may nakita ako
maesy E8HD
swak sa budget

gaano ka swak sa budget? ang hirap mamili ng player kanya kanya cons......

Offline mangki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Oct 31, 2010 at 04:49 PM »
up

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #339 on: Dec 22, 2010 at 03:09 PM »
Finally gave in yesterday and bought my 4th personal NMT unit. (Before this I've bought an egreat 31b, egreat r1, hdmc player).

I figured a lot of people are in the same boat as me. Early adaptors of the NMT craze and now looking to upgrade from their 1st gen players.

Why the upgrade? Frustration. It's quite frustrating to be watching a movie and halfway into it you'll get stutters or the clip will just stop. Speed is also another factor. I don't want to wait 4 minutes anymore to play a movie! Also if you're like me who has a 2tb external HD you'll need to  wait forever to be able to browse it.

I've always been quite disorganized with my NMT's. You know... I have movies everywhere. External HD, internal, PC, other NMT's etc. I never really got around to fully organize everything. This time around I want to be able to organize my stuff properly.

So on with the contenders for this upgrade.

1. Popcorn Hour A-200
2. Mede8er
3. HDPro
4. Eaget
5. Xtreamer
6. Xtreamer Pro

First one eliminated from the list is the Xtreamer. Sure it's currently the most popular one out there but I've heard some bad stories about it as well. Also I'm not that happy with the remote.

One major requirement for me is ease of scanning through a movie. With my Egreat I can just type any number and it will go to the corresponding percentage of the clip.

Also it doesn't support 3.5"HD's. I checked out the Xtreamer Pro. This one supports 3.5" HD's BUT it still has the same remote!

Next was Eaget and HDPro. I've browsed this forum so many times on these two items. I figured it's just like the Mede8er. Only cheaper. I'm correct of course. It doesn't have the same support userbase as that of the Mede8er. Firmware updates are not common on these things although they did release a new one recently.

Another requirement I had right now was that this new NMT that I'm going to buy needs to have the bells and whistles. YES it needs to be faster than my old one. That's a given on all these 2nd gen NMT's. This time around it needs to be flashy! It's UI needs to be a knockout! I should be able to impress people who'd want to watch and scan through my files! YAMJ or YAMJ like UI would be GREAT!

Eaget and HDPro probably could handle this. However I did not see that much movement in their community. Google these two NMT's and you're not going to get a lot of results. What if I run into some problems in the future? Who do I ask? What if I want to try out new things? There's no active community (except here in PDVD) for these two NMT's. If there was any it would have probably been in Chinese.

The Popcorn Hour A-200 UI is perfect I thought. It has the BEST remote out there. Still has the same scanning functionality I loved in my Egreat unit. The price is quite expensive. I dont' think I can pay double considering the Eaget and HDPRo were 5k and 5.8k respectively. But still it was quite enticing. The community support is phenomenal on this thing. The popcorn hour community is the biggest one out there! It's got YAMJ! It's got everything! Backlit remote rocks!

Next was the Mede8er. It was more expensive than the Eaget and HDPro but they're basically the same damn thing. Save for the user base. The Mede8er community is also flourishing. It's a best seller in Europe. There are a ton of firmware updates and there's huge potential for UI to match the popcorn hour. However it was more expensive. I hated this. It's the same damn thing! Only 50% more expensive. The 2 year warranty was enticing.

I had to eliminate majority of my choices.

I went to eHome to check out the three remaining units that I wanted to give a shot to.

1. Popcorn Hour A-200
2. Xtreamer PRO (i must admit it was a longshot)
3. Mede8er

I took out HDPro and Eaget mainly for their lack of support. Yes I know this is not the most important thing. But I was thinking it was an upgrade for me and I wanted all the bells and whistles even if there's a chance I won't use these too much.

First one I looked at was the Xtreamer Pro. MAN! This thing is so small!!! You'll wonder where the "NMT" circuitry is! The mainboard I think is in the backpart of the xtreamer pro. Basically I felt that this thing had "overheat" written all over it. Imagine it has one tiny fan supporting the NMT board and 2 big Hard drives. It doesn't have good air flow as the whole thing is pretty much sealed save for the exhaust fan. For about 8k this offered nothing in terms of advantage I needed against the regular Xtreamer (which I didn't really like). Scrapped Xtreamer Pro.

Next was the Mede8er. I knew it. It was basically the same as the HDPro. I checked the Remote... it uses a similar way of scanning as the Egreat except this one you typed in the minutes. A little more work (if you can call it that). If you wanted to go at the 10 minute mark you pressed 1 and 0... and so on. It had a 2 year warranty. I checked the UI and you can customize it using a YAMJ converter. It has pretty good tweaking capabilities. I was also shown the latest preview features of the new Firmware. 3.5" hd support was nice.

Next was my best bet... the Popcorn Hour A-200. WTF?!!? This thing looks like a Tupperware container. Yes, this thing is as flimsy as it can get. It's made of plastic. Like lock and lock! It really did feel cheap. I can't believe I'm paying for twice as much as the EAGET and XTreamer for this. I couldn't muster paying for this given it's bad aesthetic design. It had everything I wanted... the remote, the community, the reputation, YAMJ, 3.5"hd. However it didn't feel worth it. It honestly felt cheap.

At the end of the day I realized that the PCH's advantage in terms of community exposure over the Mede8er is something I can live with. Yes more people have PCH's and their community is more active. I felt that the Mede8er community was enough for my needs.

... and thus my decision.

I left EHome with the Mede8er. Upgraded the firmware to the latest one which came out only 2 weeks prior 3. something.

I must say I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. I took my time on this decision. Months literally. Up until the last minute I had 2 NMT's in contention.

So now it's time to organize my files and create this new fancy "about.jpg" to keep my new NMT cool. :)

Sorry for the long read.

Sana makatulong to sa mga hanggang ngayon nagdedecide parin :)

BTW I didn't mean to badmouth all the others that I didn't choose. I did try to look for the advantages of all these players.

thanks

This is just the review that I was looking for. One more question Mede8er 300X or 500X?
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline cianzepol

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Dec 22, 2010 at 09:41 PM »
This is just the review that I was looking for. One more question Mede8er 300X or 500X?

papa rasta may review ka naba sa ixtreamer?
kasi yung review nyo po about xtreamer pro is not that good, ganun din po kaya ixtreamer?
PSN: cianzepol

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #341 on: Dec 24, 2010 at 01:56 AM »

Whether it be the 300X or the 500X, they are basically the same in terms of performance. The only real difference is that the 300X has a  new cool "search" function button on the remote and the it no longer has the buttons found in front of the unit. :) Everything else is the same. ;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #342 on: Dec 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM »
Yesterday I was a bit disappointed with my realization that my egreat m34a cannot pass through DD thd / DTS hd to my onkyo. But knowing now from several reviews here that it has a better audio and video rendition over other NMTs, I have all the reason to be happy now. ;D

However, i am still following through my aim to get a good NMT that can pass through these HD audio signals to my onkyo. In fact this is one major reason why i get my onkyo 608. May i know the pleasure of most of you here on what NMT to get for this purpose? thanks
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #343 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
Yesterday I was a bit disappointed with my realization that my egreat m34a cannot pass through DD thd / DTS hd to my onkyo. But knowing now from several reviews here that it has a better audio and video rendition over other NMTs, I have all the reason to be happy now. ;D

However, i am still following through my aim to get a good NMT that can pass through these HD audio signals to my onkyo. In fact this is one major reason why i get my onkyo 608. May i know the pleasure of most of you here on what NMT to get for this purpose? thanks

a lot of the newer media players can already do hd audio pass through. pch a-200, c-200. mede8er 300x and 500x, xtreamer pro and xtreamer sidewinder edition.

Offline Eddie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 09:03 AM »
Whether it be the 300X or the 500X, they are basically the same in terms of performance. The only real difference is that the 300X has a  new cool "search" function button on the remote and the it no longer has the buttons found in front of the unit. :) Everything else is the same. ;)
Additional info. 300X does not have wired network connection. I think magkakaroon ng wifi dongle (according to mede8er site). 300X does not have DTS-MA officially supported.

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #345 on: Jan 10, 2011 at 12:49 PM »
thanks for reading my reviews.

wala akong med8er 300 but i heard di naman malayo yung dalawa. Check out nalang kung ano ang difference.

Wala din ako experience sa ixtreamer. So my guess is as good as yours.

One thing's for sure though. Halos magkakapareho nalang ang mga NMT's ngayon. Sobrang konti ng difference. More often than not hindi nyo rin naman gagamitin yung "differences" between models. Might as well sundin nyo nalang kung ano ang kasya sa budget mo at kung ano yung magandang tingnan sa inyo.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Jan 11, 2011 at 08:05 AM »
ano po ang best NMT na kaya ang external DVDrom? most of my collections are burned in DVDs...

Cinematube supports the Liteon DVD-ROM, I bought one also since my dvd player doesn't have HDMI
money is best spent

Offline chris_santo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM »
any kaiboer comparisons?

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #348 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 01:18 PM »
eGreat's R200 Pro and R6B plays any USB DVDROM.

toy

Offline -lee-

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #349 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 11:51 AM »
mga sir please help.. parehas ba pq ng mga nmt's (wd tv live, popcorn, xtreamer, measy, med8er)? kung hindi, anong nmt ang may pinakamagandang pq? yun kase nanggugulo sakin kung anong nmt ang bibilhin ko.. tia

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #350 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 12:20 PM »
mga sir please help.. parehas ba pq ng mga nmt's (wd tv live, popcorn, xtreamer, measy, med8er)? kung hindi, anong nmt ang may pinakamagandang pq? yun kase nanggugulo sakin kung anong nmt ang bibilhin ko.. tia

we did an nmt blind test comparo almost a year ago.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,110450.0.html

as you will see, in terms of pq, although there were players that scored higher than other players. the result was not major, so we can conclude that in terms of pq, all the said players in the shoot out was almost identical. but of course other features of the nmt should also be onsidered when you purchase, price, gui, build quality, after sales support, firmware support and speed of operation are things peole look at here before making a final decision.

Offline -lee-

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #351 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 12:43 PM »
thanks sir iiinas!  :)

i'm more inclined to wd tv but i've read some reviews that it has issues with some mkv files. what's the best nmt that can play most video files without any problem sir? have you considered asus o play too?

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 05:04 PM »
thanks sir iiinas!  :)

i'm more inclined to wd tv but i've read some reviews that it has issues with some mkv files. what's the best nmt that can play most video files without any problem sir? have you considered asus o play too?

why not try popcorn hour, i'm sure you won't have any problem, especially sa support and warranty :D

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #353 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 09:57 AM »
I still have PCH C200 (Sigma) and Mede8er MED500X(realtek). Sigma based units have better PQ and SQ over Realtek, but  Realtek is not bad, especially if you are just starting out, and budget is a concern. It cuts the job well.

Like the pricier PCH C200,Egreat R200 Pro has mobile drive tray so you can plug and remove your 3.5" SATA drive internally in 3 seconds.

If you will collect high quality HD @30GB-40GB files per movie, 2TB isn't much storage and chances are you'll need to expand. R200 Pro let's you do this with the attachment of a 2nd SATA drive ( so 1 internal and 1 external). You know that USB 2.0 sucks with big sized files resulting to video stutters , thus I say SATA (3GPBS transfer on SATA vs. 48mbps transfer USB).  

Since Egreat is a licensee for DTS and DD, less firmware upgrades for you, unlike other brands that are still playing catch up on playback issues while egreat has hurdled them years back.

The stylish aluminum in metal brush finish just makes it sleek that deserves an affair with your big TV. @ 10K you can grab this unit with 1TB disk preinstalled, ready to play, out of the box.

thanks sir iiinas!  :)

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2011 at 11:18 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #354 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 02:50 PM »
MPC Club's current...

TOP 5 Regular media players

* Dune SMART (D1) (80%)
    * PopCorn Hour A-210 (78%)
    * Mede8er Med500x (78%)
    * HDI Dune Base 3.0 (74%)
    * DViCo TViX S1 (72%)

I wonder how the 2011 Realtek chipsets will perform.  :-\

Offline powershot

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 11:43 PM »
Hi! Im using mede8er 300x and I like its analog out. Planning to upgrade to egreat r200, may nakapag compare na ba ng analog output nila? Gagamitin ko din kasi sa integrated amp. Yung analog out kasi ng mede8er  halos malapit sa tunog ng DAC ng onkyo 608(burr-brown dac) and way better than my ipod, macbook pro and wdtv.

Offline argydapogi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Mar 06, 2011 at 06:13 PM »
mga sir, any reviews for the Measy full hd 1080 player? mukhang ok naman based on paper, any personal reviews for those who already got this player? thanks!

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #358 on: Mar 06, 2011 at 09:15 PM »
mga sir, any reviews for the Measy full hd 1080 player? mukhang ok naman based on paper, any personal reviews for those who already got this player? thanks!
back read ka papa sa measy ng thread...
ok naman issue lang talaga sa stability ng mga new firmware...
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Skip2myLou

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Mar 13, 2011 at 09:57 PM »
Hi mga bossing,

I'm currently planning to buy an NMT as my birthday gift, my friend told me about a Seagate Media Player, which is around 5k. Any reviews on this one?

Also, saan ba nakakabili ng mga NMTs? (Popcorn, Xtreamer, etc...) Meron ba sa mga stalls/malls?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2011 at 10:01 PM by Skip2myLou »