Author Topic: NMT / Media Player Comparisons  (Read 145800 times)

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: WDTV vs. egreat m34a
« Reply #210 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 02:36 PM »
baka naman maaayos na ito sa next firmware upgrade? sana.

so kung ganun, murang mura na pala yung 4,500 na preowned wdtv  ;)

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #211 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 04:59 PM »
Try also adjusting the video output. It is not as good when it is set to auto than with your native resolution ..i.e 720p or 1080p

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 09:55 PM »
Try also adjusting the video output. It is not as good when it is set to auto than with your native resolution ..i.e 720p or 1080p

i don't think the m34a has this auto capability or setting. you have to choose the setting manually.

Offline XmetaL

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 10:02 PM »
baka naman maaayos na ito sa next firmware upgrade? sana.

so kung ganun, murang mura na pala yung 4,500 na preowned wdtv  ;)

hay ....sana nga.

yup mura na. best bang for the buck hd media player. loads faster than the egreat. original looks unlike egreat ay mukhang generic especially with the chinese characters at the start of the load. only downside is no dts downmixing and network connection.

only reason why i switched to m34a is the network capability but as i've said it's a bummer....bagal mag download. mas ok pa talaga magdownload thru the pc or a laptop.

btw thanks to the guys that helped me with it. really appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009 at 10:11 PM by shiranui »

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 10:15 PM »
i don't think the m34a has this auto capability or setting. you have to choose the setting manually.

You probably haven't explored your unit well enough. It's the very first option when you change your video setting

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Jun 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM »
nice thread!

repost ko lang what I said earlier....

coming from a wdtv, honestly i'm not impressed with the picture quality, it seems dark and some colors are off, some scenes also tend be a little grainy which i never experienced before ( watching the same content ) already tried my best to enhance the quality by adjusting the levels of the m34a and my pv80. i just can't seem to get a better picture quality which the wdtv gave. toggled between blu-ray, dvd and this and you can really see the difference. network connectivity is also a bummer especially for dummies like me.  :(

i guess the only thing that suffices is the dts downmixing which is great not to mention the hdmi, sata and optical cables that came with it.

the PQ is parang yung mga sidewalk dvds. generic na generic and dating. parang comparing nokia phones with those generic china phones, napapabili ka lang dahil sa features pero overall performance ay walang kwenta.

my apologies to other egreat owners pero this is how i really feel towards the m34a, hindi ako na satisfy sa picture quality. mas better pa picture quality ng wdtv less nga lang ang features.

baka naman lemon lang yung nakuha kong unit but i also asked the others who also came from wdtv....the same din ang napansin nila.

overall i thought i was upgrading but it was the other way around pala.

if i switch to popcorn hour especially there's a new one coming...ok kaya? i guess this time i have to see the differences in person before purchasing one. puede naman demo sa mga dealers natin.

verdict: i'm not happy with the m34a, for me PQ comes first secondary na lang yung other features. just my honest opinion.  ;)

hmmm...

hey sir  shiranui!   ;)

i'd like to share my two cents...

i was actually the first to point out the "grainy" issue coming from the wdtv to my m34a...

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=95952.msg1010260#msg1010260
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=95952.msg1010881#msg1010881

although, i wouldn't go as far as to say that the pq is at DVD level.  Colors are still more vibrant, and the level of detail of well-encoded files is still truly HD.  as stated in my previous post, I think the m34a does have a bit more to offer other than dts downmixing.  i experienced a lot of bugs with the wdtv (green screen,  audio-synch issues, inability to process fast moving scenes, etc.) the egreat does not have any of these once you format to ext.

i have a my m34a paired with a 42pc10, and for well-encoded files,  with my pc10's noise reduction on, i find that the pq is still better than SD.  Not mind-blowing, but good enough.  But that's just me.  If you value PQ and you get a WD unit that has none of the bugs I mentioned, or you aren't bothered by them, then I think you should consider going back or maybe waiting for the C200 as you mentioned in our last pm conversation. ;)

if i have time, i'll try to drop by ehome and compare my unit to another identical one, as well as with the PCH and the wdtv (although i was able to compare the wdtv and egreat already, before i sold my wd).
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2009 at 01:28 AM by Invinciible »
There's only one way to find out right?

Offline XmetaL

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Jun 19, 2009 at 03:46 PM »
You probably haven't explored your unit well enough. It's the very first option when you change your video setting

thanks for pointing that out. i was able to explore it. never knew that you can scroll further up. :)

Offline XmetaL

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Jun 19, 2009 at 04:01 PM »
hmmm...

hey sir  shiranui!   ;)

i'd like to share my two cents...

i was actually the first to point out the "grainy" issue coming from the wdtv to my m34a...

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=95952.msg1010260#msg1010260
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=95952.msg1010881#msg1010881

although, i wouldn't go as far as to say that the pq is at DVD level.  Colors are still more vibrant, and the level of detail of well-encoded files is still truly HD.  as stated in my previous post, I think the m34a does have a bit more to offer other than dts downmixing.  i experienced a lot of bugs with the wdtv (green screen,  audio-synch issues, inability to process fast moving scenes, etc.) the egreat does not have any of these once you format to ext.

i have a my m34a paired with a 42pc10, and for well-encoded files,  with my pc10's noise reduction on, i find that the pq is still better than SD.  Not mind-blowing, but good enough.  But that's just me.  If you value PQ and you get a WD unit that has none of the bugs I mentioned, or you aren't bothered by them, then I think you should consider going back or maybe waiting for the C200 as you mentioned in our last pm conversation. ;)

if i have time, i'll try to drop by ehome and compare my unit to another identical one, as well as with the PCH and the wdtv (although i was able to compare the wdtv and egreat already, before i sold my wd).

thanks. i'll try doing the same when i have time to drop by ehome.  i'll have to keep the unit for the meantime until the the new popcorn hour comes out and eventually sell my m34a again at a cheaper price.

btw, i got myself a new cheap laptop instead that can run 24/7 to do downloads, my desktop pc is an overkill running 2 video cards on sli ( gaming ) which consumes a great amount of electricity, not to mention too noisy because powerful fans for heat dissipation. also got extra 1 tb external with fan this time. i find the m34a too slow compared a desktop or a lappy download.

still the m34a is still not a par with wdtv PQ. also toggling the settings everytime and after each movie is too much for couch potato like me. hehehe  ;D  ;)

Offline batanglambak

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Aug 17, 2009 at 02:35 PM »
1. Plays the following files I tried (avi, divx, iso, mp4, mkv, m2ts, bluray rip, mp3, FLAC). Using the remote of a 31b, you can even browse thru the menu of dvd iso's.

sir paano po kung remote lang ng 34a ang gagamitin? di ka makakabrowse thru the menu of dvd iso's? may mga dvd iso's po kase ako na gusto kong maplay ... m34a po ang balak kong buy ... thanks ... :)
Samsung UA55KU6000
Onkyo TX-SR343
Atlantic Technology System 250.1

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Aug 17, 2009 at 03:04 PM »
Sa akin no problems accessing the DVD menus of .iso and .img files thru my m34a
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline van_xer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Aug 17, 2009 at 09:31 PM »
i own a wdtv di ako naka antay sa egreat before e

2. You can search a movie by percentage, ff or rew, go to a specific time. WDTV can only fast forward or rewind so you'll have to wait if you want to go or check the end part of the movie.

malaking bagay to..especially if u stop a movie last night and want to resume
or long concerts wherein you want to skip songs..

magakano btw price diff

wdtv around 5500 right?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #221 on: Aug 18, 2009 at 07:14 AM »
You can forward or rewind the WDTV in 10 minute increments. That would be similar to the 10%, 20%...90% of the egreat. But yeah you can't go to a specific time.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2009 at 07:15 AM by sardaukar »

Offline borly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • pinoyDVD
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Aug 23, 2009 at 06:50 PM »
i own a wdtv di ako naka antay sa egreat before e

2. You can search a movie by percentage, ff or rew, go to a specific time. WDTV can only fast forward or rewind so you'll have to wait if you want to go or check the end part of the movie.

malaking bagay to..especially if u stop a movie last night and want to resume
or long concerts wherein you want to skip songs..

magakano btw price diff

wdtv around 5500 right?

cheapest wdtv i saw was for P5,200. :)

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Realtek 1207 vs Realtek 1283 Chipsets - and the players that use them
« Reply #223 on: Oct 08, 2009 at 10:18 PM »

Realtek Players:
1283 - CPU: 450mhz
Xtreamer

1073 - CPU: 400mhz
Mvix Ultio
ACRyan Playon!HD
Asus O!Play
DViCO Tvix 6600
MediaGate M2TV
Brite-View CinemaTube
IcyBox IB-MP305
Astone AP-100

got this from:
http://www.iboum.com/artkill/chipsets.php

Thanks to HD_MOVIES for compiling the above info.

The Xtreamer uses the Realtek 1283DD chipset. The "DD" designation denotes a custom chipset that's produced especially for Xtreamer.  It costs way more than the common Realtek 1703 found in most other products.  But higher cost doesn't tell the entire story.

Network Attached Storage (NAS)
The Realtek 1283DD enables the use of the Xtreamer as a NAS. The hard disk drive (HDD) attached to the Xtreamer can be shared by PC's on your network - not only for media content but to store word processing, spreadsheet, database files, etc.

200 Internet Channels
The Realtek 1283DD provides you with the capability to acces up to 200 internet channels.  When you go online to the Internet with your Xtreamer, it loads up Internet "channels" of media content (e.g. YouTube, Picasa, Flickr, CNN, BBC, Fox News, etc) - content that is made available through links managed by Xtreamer's servers.

To offer this kind of service, MVIX (manufacturer of Xtreamer)  has invested in network equipment, facilities and infrastructure. They're serious about enhancing the device's capabilities - and they're here to stay.

Side note:  Other products can only play Internet streaming media content through UPnP (Universal Plug n Play).  For example: you will need to turn on a PC running UPnP software such as TVersity; the PC pulls content from the internet then streams it to the media player.  The Xtreamer also has this capability of course.

TV Signal Encoding Capability
Both the Realtek 1207 and 1283DD chipsets have decoding capabilities, but only the 1283DD chipset has encoding capabilities as well.  MVIX has no plans of developing a TV recording application; their thrust is to use the high performance of the chipset for powering high quality video/audio, a responsive NAS and for powering visually appealing GUI's (Graphical User Interfaces).  Now if the user community were to step up and develop (or port over) a TV recording application....   ;D

Advanced, visually appealing GUI's
The higher clock speed of the Realtek 1283DD in the Xtreamer makes it possible for software developers to create more visually appealing jukeboxes and other applications.  Now it's possible to create applications with zooming, flying, 3D, translucent and other effects ...while preserving fast response times.

If anybody has more info, please feel free to add to the post!

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2009 at 12:39 AM by Bitstream »

Offline Bluebeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
HDPro, I think, has a 1073 chipset and can be used as a "slave"  by PCs.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
HDPro, I think, has a 1073 chipset and can be used as a "slave"  by PCs.

The TVIX 6600 uses the 1283DD chip - here's the link on the specs - http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/products/HDM6600.aspx
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
I'd love to have one of these tvix units especially  the new m-6600a but the lack of retailer/distributor here is preventing me from acquiring. i wouldnt dare spending close to 20k without the thought of security in case the unit is defective.

But if sir eric can bring this tvix m-6600a here, aba e pag-iipunan ko yan ;D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
Re: NMT Comparison
« Reply #228 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:42 PM »
With all the new NMTs coming out, di ko na alam kung ano ang best value for money. Anyone willing (and knowledgeable enough) to update [joms]' post to include the new ones in the comparison? HD-Pro, Xtreamer, Cinematube... nalilito na ko.  :D

*If comparisons of the newer NMTs are already discussed elsewhere, kindly point me in the right direction na lang. Thanks!

While researching for my NMT, i wrote down some stuff which might be usefull for you guys. I haven't been able to verify other info though so i just left it blank.

Price (manufacturer)
Shipping (to pinas)
Price (via Intl) exc. Tax
Price (via local seller)

Chipset
Firmware
Memory

HDMI

USB

Network

Hard Drive Connection

Hard Drive Format

Cooling

S/PDIF Optical Output

Coax Optical Output

DTS Decoding

eSATA

Warranty

Card Reader
   (SD/MMC/Memstick)

Wifi

Case

Power On/Off Switch
Power On/Off via Remote
Max HD tested

Available locally

Local authorized seller:

Popcorn Hour A-110
www.popcornhour.com.ph

USD $215
USD $49
P12,672 at P48/$1
P13,500 (promo)

Sigma Designs 8635 Rev C.
same
256MB

1.3a

2x Host
1x Slave

Ethernet 10/100

SATA

NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3

Passive

Yes

1month replacement
1 year service

Optional (Dongle)

Steel

No
Yes
1TB

Yes

pinoydvd handle = "ert"
Ert Cell# 09175302988
EG-M31B
www.egreathd.com

USD $249

P14,000

same
512MB

1.3a

2x Host
1x Slave

Ethernet 10/100

SATA

NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3

Fan

Yes

16months

Optional (Dongle)

Plastic

Yes
Yes
1TB

Yes

pinoydvd handle = "gren"
Ehome Tel No. 7445923
HDX1000
www.hdx1080.com

USD $219
USD $50
P12,912 at P48/$1
no local seller

same
512MB

1.3a

1x Host/1x for Card Reader
1x Slave

Ethernet 10/100

SATA

NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3

Passive

Yes

no local warranty

Optional (Dongle)

Solid Aluminum Alloy

Yes

1TB

No

FYI:

a) eSATA is not usefull because the transfer speed is CAPPED to be somewhere near the range of USB due to the limitation of the chipset
b) eSATA/USB Host is used to connect an external Hard Disk to your PCH/EG/HX1000 to read/write
c) eSATA/USB slave is used to connect your PCH/EG/HX1000 to a PCs Sata/USB for the PC to control the HD inside your PCH/EG/HX1000
d) NMT are cheaper than HTPC but can do much less (video editing/word/excel/etc) but it does what it's supposed to (play all types of video).
e) Main advantage of NMT over HTPC is that it only consumes less watts (around 36W) as against an HTPC (around 200W+)
f) File size of movies: 720P .mkv  = 4GB    /    1080p .mkv = 8GB
g) Sample HD pics = http://myhdworld.multiply.com/photos/album/7/New_Screenshots_by_user_Munskie_Check_out_the_quality_Must_see#
h) For your ext2/ext3 formatted HD to be recognized by Windows, you first need to install Ext2IFS_1_11.exe to your windows system. Download it here http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:44 PM by sardaukar »

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Corrections to the NMT Comparison
« Reply #229 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:58 PM »
Hi,

We are the local distributor for the HDX 1000 Networked Media Tank.

List Price is now P12,500.00

We have 2 x USB Host ports - not one.  However, the functionality of one USB port has been assigned to the memory card reader.  It's very easy to disable the card reader ... thus automatically enabling the second USB port.

Warranty is 1 year parts and service.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM by Bitstream »

Offline keymaker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: NMT Comparison
« Reply #230 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 02:13 PM »
With all the new NMTs coming out, di ko na alam kung ano ang best value for money. Anyone willing (and knowledgeable enough) to update [joms]' post to include the new ones in the comparison? HD-Pro, Xtreamer, Cinematube... nalilito na ko.  :D

*If comparisons of the newer NMTs are already discussed elsewhere, kindly point me in the right direction na lang. Thanks!

You can try these sites. http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php   http://www.iboum.com/artkill/tablesort.php

Offline J i g s

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: NMT / Media Player Comparisons
« Reply #231 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 06:46 PM »
same problem here.... to many options! which one to buy ???

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 02:59 PM »
Apparently most of the newer media players are discussed here:

REALTEK-based NMTs (HD-Pro, CinemaTube, Egreat R1, Xtreamer, etc.)

I didn't notice this thread initially.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #233 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 03:22 PM »
Apparently most of the newer media players are discussed here:

REALTEK-based NMTs (HD-Pro, CinemaTube, Egreat R1, Xtreamer, etc.)

I didn't notice this thread initially.

with so many threads regarding comparisons of different nmts vs. media players, sigma vs. realtek, egreat vs. popcorn vs. hdpro etc.

merged all threads and hopefully keep all comparo and versus discussions here.  :)

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM »
Yeah on the one hand it's good that we have so many choices. On the other hand, hirap pumili. :)

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
WDTV vs Xtreamer - Photo playback comparison with 12 megapixel files
« Reply #235 on: Oct 18, 2009 at 08:00 PM »

Check out the loading times for 12 megapixel photo files.  Who won?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69BTuQuNBdQ

Offline badsekktor

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 10:49 AM »
very informative thread! I'm still undecided if i should get me one. I am currently using a simple HTPC setup using an LCD and HTIB. My wife is having a hard time operating it so that is why I am contemplating on getting an NMT as a media player for movies and mp3 files. I am looking for something small and aesthetically appealing and i find the wdtv fits to my taste but I also consider the realtek chip which is said to perform much better.

anybody here could give a back to back comparison of the wdtv vs the astone media player? any info would be greatly appreciated!

by the way, i'm coming from an HTPC so i would really appreciate if you could give some comparison with an htpc setup. The pc im using is a portable system (laptop) that is a desktop replacement. I really would like to know if these 2 players exceed the performance of my current system with regards to playing movies and audio files

Offline dell-tech

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 07:25 PM »
Question po.  Do these NMTs perform video upscaling?

TIA!

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 08:06 PM »
Question po.  Do these NMTs perform video upscaling?

TIA!

Yes

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 07:52 PM »
yah i agree sp many NMT/Media player to choose. Which is better NMT/Media player in terms of features, pros, cons and other needed for an NMT/media player?

Thanks
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.