Author Topic: SD vs BD vs Downloads  (Read 50896 times)

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: SD vs BD vs Downloads
« Reply #330 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 08:11 PM »

From one Good Looking Father to Another! Happy New Year!!!

Offline imperialcog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #331 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 10:29 PM »

Yes, it's basically the same.  But the disadvantage with playback on your PS3 and/or your DVD player's USB port is that format support will be limited.  You will eventually encounter many files that will not play properly.

I converted a DVD that I own into a 1.5GB file (Ave. bitrate 2.148 Mbps, 720 x 320 resolution, AVI container, XviD codec, Dolby 5.1 audio), then tested it on my Philips DVD player using a USB thumb drive .  Play stuttered on high-action scenes.  1.5GB na nga lang yan, pumapalya pa.   >:(

HTPCs and NMTs, on the other hand, were specifically designed to play downloaded media files, so format support and playback performance are expectedly superior.  (The above-mentioned AVI file played flawlessly on my WD media player.)

It's up to you how far you're willing to go.  To my mind, the starting point is really your monitor's capability. 

Get a high-resolution monitor or front projector, and only 1080p-MKV files can satisfy you.  You will not be happy with a WD media player; you will have to get at least an NMT.  Then you will need more hard disc storage space.  Then a faster internet connection.  There's no telling when the rounds of upgrades will ever end. 

But if you limit yourself to a low-resolution monitor, then you'll be just fine with 700MB files.  No need for expensive players, terabytes of storage, or blazing-speed internet connections.

What I'd be interested in is DVD player that also front-loads a My Passport.  No need to plug and unplug a USB port, just dock the My Passport like an 8-track audio tape cartridge.  Now that would be really convenient.  ;)

Parang walang katapusan talaga tong hilig natin! hehe! :)

Ok what about the loads of special features on some BDs... For those downloading HD torrents, is it alright with you guys just to watch the HD movies knowing that if you get BDs, you'll be getting more bonuses along with it? :)

Offline NikkoPH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #332 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 11:07 PM »
I'm glad you're enjoying your PCH 100 bro.. I'm enjoying my PCH 110 too.. still got so much Hi-def TV series downloaded na hindi pa napanood..  and am still downloading.. ;D ;D ;D

Same here.. i just download as much as i can, im using only a 160GB HDD just to try the PCH and after a week puno na siya  :D dapat talaga nakinig ako sayo to buy a tera HDD! ;D
My Ink tells a different story

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #333 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 11:35 PM »
Same here.. i just download as much as i can, im using only a 160GB HDD just to try the PCH and after a week puno na siya  :D dapat talaga nakinig ako sayo to buy a tera HDD! ;D

O problema ba yun. Bagong taon, dapat me bagong hard drive. Wala naman yun sa new years resolution mo diba? heheheh then pakopya ha hehehehe  :D

[Moderator Note: I wonder what part of "NMTs will only be discussed in the NMT section" was not clear for many of you? Beyond that, the discussions here are way over the limits of the "SD vs. BD vs. LEGAL Downloads" topic. This thread is permanently closed. Please do not restart a similar thread UNLESS you have the go signal and blessing of firewired to do so. Happy New Year!]
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2009 at 12:37 AM by Mr. Hankey »