Author Topic: ANG TANGING INA NIYONG LAHAT & OTHER MMFF 2008 ENTRIES  (Read 16275 times)

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ANG TANGING INA NIYONG LAHAT & OTHER MMFF 2008 ENTRIES
« Reply #60 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 05:16 PM »
          You haven't seen Sharon's NANG INIWAN MO AKO. The opening sequence was too much!

but that movie was good nevertheless.

i'd forgive such product placements done in good taste rather than the ones that would actually say the product and its tagline, "ginagamit ko ang ___ dahil ___." 
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline allanmandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 05:50 PM »
Haven't seen Sharon's movie. But believe me, Dayo's product placements are horrendous. The animators and the writers really did whatever they could just to accommodate those products. And the products don't appear just once. They got more exposure than some characters. Nakakasira talaga. Though I liked the movie overall, and I understand the need of the producers to raise funds, I can't forgive them for those blatant ads.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:19 PM »
but that movie was good nevertheless.

i'd forgive such product placements done in good taste rather than the ones that would actually say the product and its tagline, "ginagamit ko ang ___ dahil ___." 

Uh-huh, I didn't say it's bad. I like her KAHIT WALA KA NA more. ;D

"ginagamit ko ang ___ dahil ___." 

That is really saying something!

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 07:21 PM »
Haven't seen Sharon's movie. But believe me, Dayo's product placements are horrendous. The animators and the writers really did whatever they could just to accommodate those products. And the products don't appear just once. They got more exposure than some characters. Nakakasira talaga. Though I liked the movie overall, and I understand the need of the producers to raise funds, I can't forgive them for those blatant ads.

I believe you. Thanks for the heads-up. I'd be gladly see this on video than on big screen when products are ten times bigger!

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 01:13 AM »

Some MMFF 'predictable' movies are still showing. And some bid adieu. :)

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 02:24 PM »
Too bad about the good underperformers. Many of my friends still want to catch One Night Only but it's now only being shown in three theaters.

As for the box office winners, they're obviously trying to push for more profits. Ang Tanging Ina Niyong Lahat has earned Php170+M during the festival's two weeks and they're probably targeting Php200M before the Piolo-Angel movie arrives this week (also from Star Cinema).

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2009 at 02:24 PM by allanmandy »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #66 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 04:36 PM »
Who would've thought that the outfit that gave us such movies as "haba baba doo, puti-puti-poo" and "kokey" would become the dominant movie studio in the country no? viva and seiko have practically folded up. and only regal still makes movies regularly.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 08:39 PM »
Who would've thought that the outfit that gave us such movies as "haba baba doo, puti-puti-poo" and "kokey" would become the dominant movie studio in the country no? viva and seiko have practically folded up. and only regal still makes movies regularly.

Which I sorely missed those tagalog movies in the '80's when REGAL & VIVA reigned supreme and STAR CINEMA is practically non-existent. Not that all of their movies are bad...

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 12:03 AM »
I personally think that Star Cinema is the best among the big movie studios in the Philippines, in terms of churning out better-than-the-rest pictures. But it's really sad because they won it by default. While the studio has produced some good pictures, it has become too formulaic of late, opting to produce drama-romances because these have guaranteed return-of-investment. Star Cinema should try to break free from the norm and risk producing films like epic or socio-political dramas. With all the profit the studio has amassed, it's high time it contributes to the development of critical thinking of the masses, who have no other choices of homegrown entertainment besides the conventional star-studded romance-comedy flick or the now-too-often skin/gay-movie-posing-as-artistic-indie-films.

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM »
P170M? You mean a lot of Filipinos shelled out their hard earned P160-180 on one loud, corny trash? Kala ko ba naghihirap na ang Pilipino? Sounds padded to me.. >:(

Never liked Star Cinema offerings. True, too formulaic and never edgy and experimental..In other words, super mababaw. Their comedies are downright vapid and crass especially those megged by that Deramas guy.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM by blitzkrieg »

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM »
No, I don't think it's padded. MMDA also keeps track of the grosses because it's the festival organizer.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 09:14 PM »
The final box-office scores for the 2008 MMFF:

* Ang Tanging Ina Ninyong Lahat - P171,000,000
    * Iskul Bukol: 20 Years After - P107,000,000
    * Shake, Rattle & Roll X - P68,000,000
    * Desperadas 2 - P49,300,000
    * Baler - P35,800,000
    * One Night Only - P10,500,000
    * Dayo: Sa Mundo ng Elementalia - P5,600,000
    * Magkaibigan - P2,100,000

All in all, this year's fest generated around P450 million, a big improvement over the previous year's P380 million.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #72 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 10:25 PM »
While the studio has produced some good pictures, it has become too formulaic of late, opting to produce drama-romances because these have guaranteed return-of-investment. Star Cinema should try to break free from the norm and risk producing films like epic or socio-political dramas.

That's the problem with Star Cinema and the ABS-CBN Corporation as a whole. Having experienced trying to work with them and knowing a lot of people who have worked with them, they're afraid of anything risky. They want all their projects to be guaranteed money-makers. If they try anything new, it's only because another company (like GMA for instance) tried it and succeeded. A lot of my friends who are writers in ABS-CBN have complained that every time they try to pitch a brilliant new idea or show or story to the execs, the execs would ask them to rewrite it and rewrite until it becomes only a shell of it's former self and becomes another formulaic story in new clothing.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 02:56 AM »

The last man standing at least on ROBINSON METRO EAST cinema as of now is ANG TANGING INA NIYONG LAHAT. :-X

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 07:52 AM »
It's too bad Dayo flopped.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 02:28 PM »
It's too bad Dayo flopped.

Pinoy animation usually struggles to earned big bucks even when paved with good intentions like at this year's filmfest. :( Fret not, it's not at the losing end.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009 at 02:31 PM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 06:34 PM »
I personally think that Star Cinema is the best among the big movie studios in the Philippines, in terms of churning out better-than-the-rest pictures. But it's really sad because they won it by default. While the studio has produced some good pictures, it has become too formulaic of late, opting to produce drama-romances because these have guaranteed return-of-investment. Star Cinema should try to break free from the norm and risk producing films like epic or socio-political dramas. With all the profit the studio has amassed, it's high time it contributes to the development of critical thinking of the masses, who have no other choices of homegrown entertainment besides the conventional star-studded romance-comedy flick or the now-too-often skin/gay-movie-posing-as-artistic-indie-films.

That's the problem with Star Cinema and the ABS-CBN Corporation as a whole. Having experienced trying to work with them and knowing a lot of people who have worked with them, they're afraid of anything risky. They want all their projects to be guaranteed money-makers. If they try anything new, it's only because another company (like GMA for instance) tried it and succeeded. A lot of my friends who are writers in ABS-CBN have complained that every time they try to pitch a brilliant new idea or show or story to the execs, the execs would ask them to rewrite it and rewrite until it becomes only a shell of it's former self and becomes another formulaic story in new clothing.

the president has already suggested to try their hands on indies or create something out of the ordinary, but it is the top heads of the departments who are stubborn to at least try. it's really all about money for them.  TV has tried to go on different paths every now and then, but the movies haven't.  writers would be asked to go beyond the boundaries, yet a first glance of something out of the formula will immediately be dismissed.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 07:12 PM »
the president has already suggested to try their hands on indies or create something out of the ordinary, but it is the top heads of the departments who are stubborn to at least try. it's really all about money for them.  TV has tried to go on different paths every now and then, but the movies haven't.  writers would be asked to go beyond the boundaries, yet a first glance of something out of the formula will immediately be dismissed.

I heard that Star Cinema lost a bundle of money with the failure of Pacquiao: The Movie, a biopic.

It's natural for businesses to stick with what they felt is the winning formula, hence we see lots of these love team flicks, romantic comedies, and Asian horrors.

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 08:42 PM »
I heard that Star Cinema lost a bundle of money with the failure of Pacquiao: The Movie, a biopic.

It's natural for businesses to stick with what they felt is the winning formula, hence we see lots of these love team flicks, romantic comedies, and Asian horrors.

but Pacquiao is a co-production with FLT Films so di rin talaga counted.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 08:48 PM »
I wonder how much money Ang Tanging Ina Nyong Lahat is making up to date. It's still showing in some theaters around the country.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 09:37 PM »
Is this a sort of trick rhetorical question?

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 07:57 PM »
Ang Tanging Ina Nyong Lahat gross P197,000,000 to date, which includes post-MMFF ticket sales.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 08:08 PM »
Just as I thought. Trick question.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 03:15 AM »
So will Tanging Ina turns into the new Mano Po?  Tanging Ina 6 for 2012?
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 01:15 AM »
Who knows? If it's going to earn Star Cinema a guaranteed P197,000,000 every year, it might be very well that studio's counterpart to the traditional C.O.D. Holiday display.  ;)

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2009 at 01:15 AM by allanmandy »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 02:20 AM »

ANG TANGING INA 3: OFW doesn't sound funny to me at all. So does making a third installment.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2607
« Reply #87 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 06:35 AM »
as long as they continue making money, they will still continue to make a series of this particular movie
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Mar 01, 2009 at 02:51 PM »

"May kasabihan nga tayo, kadalasan ang pelikulang komedya ay..."

ANG TANGING INA N'YONG LAHAT (2008) - My second serving of last year's MMFF. This one's really funny...in a painful way though. The movie tried very hard to stretch its very thin story on how the titular character became our country's unlikely Commander-in-Chief. The story continues, as the saying goes, and tells what happened to the Montecillo family. You cannot really expect much from this kind of movie moreso being the sequel of a successful launching movie, but then again (at least some) viewers tend to expect more and really funny moments and not just characters verging on histrionics.

Most of the cast (the Montecillo family actually) returns in this sequel with exceptions of some of Ina's children. The others went to so-called greener pastures with one of her daughter (Heart Evangelista who had a cameo via picture) moved to GMA a.k.a Global Missionaries of Asia located in India. The situations gets weary within 10 minutes of the movie. It had shown numerous spoofs of Star Cinema's movies and even Sharon's multivitamin commercial (the scene where Ina bumped into the building wall).

Her quotable quotes are quite funny in the trailer but when shown fully in the movie itself, it becomes unamusing even though there are more unheard of quotes not shown during the teaser. Sure I had a laugh or two in the movie particularly the scene when one of Ina's children (the mute kid) dodged her and shove door at her face, even when the door was slammed there was no sound!

Truly, the one thing really funny about the movie is the title itself. Others need not apply.

The most stupid thing in the whole movie? The disclaimer at the end. :P

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009 at 02:40 AM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Mar 02, 2009 at 11:34 PM »
i just saw this tonight. and it's not funny at all.  the absurdity of it all bothers me.  could star cinema be turning into regal films? giving to what the common audience clamors for without considering the substance, as also seen in the latest john lloyd-sarah starrer.

being a sharonian, it scares me what they could come up with the sharon-ai-ai project given that it is also a wenn deramas movie.  :o
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009 at 11:40 PM by jekoy »
Absolutely no regrets!