Author Topic: Alvinh Room: Reviving Back To Life- Back to Basics  (Read 295566 times)

Offline alvinh

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Alvinh Room: Reviving Back To Life- Back to Basics
« on: Jul 12, 2008 at 10:42 PM »

Feb 7, 2011
At last...my DIY Screen in action! Happy with the results

;D ;D ;D

Feb 5, 2011

Time for a DIY screen and stand to match-
...to experience a movie with the speakers behind the screen. To kick off this itch, I decided to experiment with just the center channels. If I end up liking the result, I will most likely do the same for the LR fronts.

Thanks to my sidekick...my drawing is slowly turning into a reality. ;D

Update: October-December 2010

I wanted speaker stands that will be high enough (for the sweet spot) but at the same time, match my RS1's wood grain so I ended up going to the neighborhood roadside wood carving shop (going up Tagaytay) and luckily, there was a big enough log to make a pair.

Thanks to my brother in-law, I was also able to acquire these stainless cones thru his machine shop.

Finally decided to jump in the PJ bandwagon and got the Epson 8350.
I do not have the acoustic screen yet but it should get here after the holidays. (currently using a temporary/extra portable office manual pull down)

October 2009

Unorthodox 3 center channels: Just playing around with my 4-channel amp (PA2000)

I was a bit surprised that I actually liked the result. So, the left, right and middle are my center channels.
The ones on the sides are spares so at least now I will not have to worry about rotating them. They all receive the same signal and power. The main L & R (xpl200's) are spaced far enough that channel separations are still surprisingly within normal range, IMO.

Update Sept 18-19, 2009

Just a minor addition...one more badly needed storage box. My first My Book 1T.

As of this time, I have a dual bay (with only 1T installed) plus two more enclosures with 1T each (excluding this My Book), a hard disk dock servicing about 700G split into 4 disks and the egreat's internal 1T.

I am also trying out a new set of tubes for my cdp...the Siemens E88CC with pearl coolers for a different flavor.

Update Sept 17, 2009

Around the same time I got the Cayin tube cdp and MF tube buffers, I decided to play around with my existing interconnects.

And then, an offer to audition some ic's and speaker wires that are being unloaded by the same seller knocked at the same door of opportunity.

Well, I guess it was meant to be. I could use better interconnects since I still have a few gears that are linked together by standard rca's; the kind that gets bundled with cd players.

...a gallery of some of my existing and newly acquired ic's and wires. There will be more "mixing and matching" of cables to do over the next few weeks. I am specially interested in the power cord with the filter.

At the moment, the Tara Labs set of Prime 1000 speaker wire and RSC Reference Generation 2 interconnects are being tested with the Maggies and Cayin cdp. I can only say that the music got even better.

The other speaker wires and ic's are being tried with the MA RS1 set.

Update Sept 13, 2009

I have been thinking about upgrading my cdp and thanks to a wonderful neighbor-seller, I finally got a chance to own this Cayin CDT17A with upgraded Mundorf caps and opamps. I'm so happy with it's performance.

After a week's test on the Esprit amp, well, I guess it was expected that I will be keeping it as it's 4 ohm rating makes my Maggies perform better. So now, it is officially an alvinh room resident.

To somehow insert an MF X10D between my ipod dock and Aikido preamp was also an itch for a while so I took the opportunity.

What i was not expecting was to get hold of an MF X10v3. Truly another great addition.

I am looking forward to audition a set of some well reviewed ic's and cables...and some tubes for new flavor.

I'll resume the panel project after this unexpected route.

Actual cdp photo...the seller took good care of this player.  ;D

Actual x10v3 tube buffer with the wireless ipod dock..

Update Aug 19, 2009

Finished my ceiling panels ( portion of the room itself ) and installed "temporary" fiberglass panels on my back wall while I wait to try out the more decorative and hopefully more absorptive panels from a supplier.

I also DIY'd a center speaker shelf attached to my flat screen stand so that my center speaker's tweets are almost in line (within 20cm ) with my mains'. IMO, the center speaker's new location better matches the placement of my fronts and noticed improvement in overall ht sound.

Update July 30, 2009

Still learning the REW. In the meantime, I picked up a few gears like the Xindak LC, ipod wireless, Extigy sound card and the major change for the month, the Magnepan MMG. I gave up the RS6 but kept the RS1.

I should be receiving my 2nd LC and voltmeter soon, crafted by MasterJ.

Update July 5, 2009

I decided to pursue the "treat my room first" route. So now, I am trying to understand more about my little room's acoustic character. Had some diy panels done at home to start...used rockwool 80% density, light wood 2x2 palochina and kacha then had another layer of gray fabric. I was hoping this will make me feel safer about using rockwool.

Fiberglass is still not out of the question. There will be an ongoing series of tests for me...at least for a couple of months or so. (more like until christmas)

The only other hardware I will probably go for right now are power line conditioners...will acquire one soon.
Another is a nice thick area rug...

For now, I am trying to get more familiar with tools like Microlab, Virtual Analyser 8 and Real Time Analyzer using my laptop, an SPL meter and a cardiod mic Shure Beta58. This is going to be a great challenge...starting from scratch. These d**n things are so technical...hahaha. I'm currently using demos...still undecided what to purchase for a 'not so ridiculous price'.

I will most likely try out different combinations of treatments based on whatever I learn going forward.

So, I start with this...with the help of my sidekick driver...   

Update June 15, 2009

'Got jukeboxed and harmonized!

...2-bay enclosure with 1Tera each bay and two more single bay enclosures for spare hds ranging from 160G-500G.
...decided to try out the harmony 659 to see if I'll really end up with lesser remotes. ::)
...the rest of the year will be "no upgrades" until I improve my small room's acoustics.

;D Thanks for viewing.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2018 at 04:52 PM by alvinh »
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: alvinh Room for my movies
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2008 at 11:32 PM »
Nice well-planned set-up.  :) Fan mo sigurado si ricky, who has an all-JBL line-up. Marami din ako JBL speakers.

Question lang: You have a center speaker sa floor and you also have 4 of those small Bose cubes acting as center channel speakers as well? Sabay sila lahat tumutunog?
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 01:20 AM »
Nice well-planned set-up.  :) Fan mo sigurado si ricky, who has an all-JBL line-up. Marami din ako JBL speakers.

Question lang: You have a center speaker sa floor and you also have 4 of those small Bose cubes acting as center channel speakers as well? Sabay sila lahat tumutunog?

Thanks Sir Streetsmart. I can only dream of having a set up such as yours. Wow talaga.
Unfortunately, I have not met Ricky. But I'm sure it would be interesting to learn a lot from you and all the legends here.
Yup. Nasa floor for now yung center. Kinda awkward when I listen to dialogue so I added the cubes. Parang separates: hi and hi-mid. hehe.
I do my best at mixing the cubes and jbl center...ok na rin. Adjust ko na lang levels of the two amps.
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline ryn0128

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 01:26 AM »
boom boom boom. nice subs

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 01:59 AM »
boom boom boom. nice subs

Thanks bro. I like what you did also sa shakers mo. I have an extra 2442H na jbl.
Baka lang mawala na yung hi-mid ko and maging massage chair yung old rocker ko. hehehe.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2008 at 02:07 AM by alvinh »

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 02:19 AM »
Great Pictures Sir,

Thanks for sharing.  Will look forward to your upcoming projects ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 06:50 AM »
congrats sir, nice set-up. enjoy.  ;D

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 07:09 AM »
very nice sir alvinh!  looks like those subs are just ready to blow anyone away!  whoa!
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 07:52 AM »
Yup. Nasa floor for now yung center. Kinda awkward when I listen to dialogue so I added the cubes. Parang separates: hi and hi-mid. hehe.
I do my best at mixing the cubes and jbl center...ok na rin. Adjust ko na lang levels of the two amps.

It's not a good idea to have more than one speaker for the center channel. In fact, some very respected acousticians believe that this produces some of the greatest problems for sound. In other words, it's advisable to stick to only one center speaker. If it has to be on the floor, you could try to tilt it upwards so the tweeter points at the level of your ears.

Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2008 at 07:52 AM by streetsmart »
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline 2ne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Archt. Anthony Divino 09178426442
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 08:37 AM »
plenty of nice gadgets there sir! :) nice setup, and enjoy your HD experience! :D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 09:59 AM »
Great Pictures Sir,

Thanks for sharing.  Will look forward to your upcoming projects ;D

Thanks. I got immunity from SARS for a while. For some reason, the cells regenerated because of pdvd.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 10:02 AM »
congrats sir, nice set-up. enjoy.  ;D

Thanks. I'll enjoy more once I start the blu ray experience. :)

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM »
very nice sir alvinh!  looks like those subs are just ready to blow anyone away!  whoa!

TY. I had to decrease the level sa amps. Otherwise, ganun nga. hehe.

plenty of nice gadgets there sir! :) nice setup, and enjoy your HD experience! :D

Thanks. I'm sure next time, I'll be able to post at least one screen shot. hehehe.

It's not a good idea to have more than one speaker for the center channel. In fact, some very respected acousticians believe that this produces some of the greatest problems for sound. In other words, it's advisable to stick to only one center speaker. If it has to be on the floor, you could try to tilt it upwards so the tweeter points at the level of your ears.

Good luck! :)

I agree...thought about that also. I was actually expecting some kind of delay or small echo-like sound but since nano seconds lang siguro and I'm close to the speakers, it's not so noticeable. However, the center set-up was still experimental...'appreciate your input. Will tilt or find an ear level location for it.
I'll look for some nice comfy recliners first...;D
Naka line-up na.
blu-ray player
2-seater recliner

Offline Vinz907

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 10:23 AM »
Sir Alvin,
I see now your HT rm, i will not be lost in that HT rm when i/we visit your home and watch some movies
or maybe play some PS3 games on your new bd player (kung ps3 hehehe).

Nice job and post more for your new upgrades.

Thanks for sharing to us your home and HT setup.

PDP-427 XG
XV-DV323
PS3 - game/bluray-dvd movies

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 10:55 AM »
Sir Alvin,
I see now your HT rm, i will not be lost in that HT rm when i/we visit your home and watch some movies
or maybe play some PS3 games on your new bd player (kung ps3 hehehe).

Nice job and post more for your new upgrades.

Thanks for sharing to us your home and HT setup.

Thanks Vinz. You'll know when I get the player...hehehe.

Offline den1224

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #15 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 10:59 AM »
Nice HT room & nice pictures too.  8)

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM »
Nice HT room & nice pictures too.  8)

Thanks den1224. I viewed your link. Man, you have great eyes dude!
Incredible images. You took all those shots?
Nice racing seat too!!!!

Offline den1224

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 12:54 PM »
Thanks den1224. I viewed your link. Man, you have great eyes dude!
Incredible images. You took all those shots?
Nice racing seat too!!!!

Thanks alvinh! I took all the shots. ;D

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 02:39 PM »
Hi Alvinh, very nice setup and great gears.... :o  looks like those JBL speakers are the THX certified....  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline blackd70s

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 04:08 PM »
really clean, no clatter set up you have here sir!
[[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/blackd70s/EagleArc

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 06:05 PM »
Hi Alvinh, very nice setup and great gears.... :o  looks like those JBL speakers are the THX certified....  ;D

Thanks audiojunkie. Yup. These THX jbls serve my movies very well. So far, I'm still happy with its performance.

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 06:07 PM »
really clean, no clatter set up you have here sir!

All the wires are hidden behind the TV cart. hehe. I try to bundle the wires as much as possible.

Offline Saxman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Parabellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 07:45 PM »
those are big speakers!  :o i'm sure you're enjoying every minute of movie watching.  Congrats, alvinh!  :D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 08:26 PM »
those are big speakers!  :o i'm sure you're enjoying every minute of movie watching.  Congrats, alvinh!  :D

Your set up is vverrrryyyy nice too! Linis bro. Galing!

Offline Mr.H

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 08:28 PM »
Very nice HT gears bro. Alvinh! ;)
Nice pic's too! :D
PMC / SVS PB-12 / Paradigm / Rotel RSX / Vincent CDT/Castle Power LC /Mr.H PowerCords / Emotiva XP-5

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM »
Very nice HT gears bro. Alvinh! ;)
Nice pic's too! :D

Thanks Mr.H
I'm also Mr.H bro, hence alvinh ;D ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 07:35 AM »
Congatulations on your HT....nice set-up!!  :)

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 09:23 AM »
Congatulations on your HT....nice set-up!!  :)

Thanks Munskie. Coming from you, i really appreciate it.

Offline sight

• Collector
  • _
  • Liked:
alvinh Room for my movies
« Reply #28 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 02:31 PM »

Hi Mr. AlvinH,

I must say I really like this set-up. Old school but very cozy. Congrats sir.

:)

SYT

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 14, 2008 at 03:01 PM »
Thanks SYT. You still in UAE?