Author Topic: Beijing 2008 Olympics  (Read 5960 times)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics
« Reply #30 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 02:42 PM »
Maraming doubters ng Phelps result already and mainit ang argument sa net.  Some are questioning why broadcasters are not showing the slow mo video replay of the pool end from the most revealing top cam.  Hmmmm.   Buti nalang I recorded it. 
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 02:47 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 03:16 PM »
why not just award 2 golds :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:54 PM »
why not just award 2 golds :)

Yun nga eh!

Even some Americans in the net are saying this is the first time their eyes dont agree with the pad/timer.  Oh well.

I admire the cocky Serbian for being such a good sport but I think he feels he actually won.  (or was their team "pacified" not to pursue the protest?).   The US swimming officials claim that replays CLEARLY show that Phelps was ahead on the pad....Cmon!!!!

Offline jiggs84

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 07:12 PM »
Getting a lot of replays even sa Jap channels.  I still see the Serbian touching the pool end first from super slow mo replay of the top cam.  Phelps hands were still way up at that point.  VERY QUESTIONABLE indeed.   Anything can happen in China.  Of course the powers to be can always deny anything and they can always defend anything.  I'd say Phelps lost by close to 10/100 of a sec, but the Serbian clock was advanced by that much (or Phelps clock was delayed by that much) , hence Phelps won by 1/100.   ;D ;D   

This is something I would tell my grandkids.    I definitely think Phelps lost this one but who cares ;D ;D  At least for once it was a very interesting Phelps race.

Maraming doubters ng Phelps result already and mainit ang argument sa net.  Some are questioning why broadcasters are not showing the slow mo video replay of the pool end from the most revealing top cam.  Hmmmm.   Buti nalang I recorded it. 

share your recording bro. please post the link or through PM....
i think the Serbian teams knows best if they should pursue the protest or not...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 09:30 PM »
share your recording bro. please post the link or through PM....
i think the Serbian teams knows best if they should pursue the protest or not...

I got it from NHK's high def live broadcast.  1080i 50V clear.  Even the Japanese commentators were instantly all "too surprised" on the super slow mo top cam view that seemingly showed Phelps hands were still on the way down the moment the fingertip of the Serb had made contact with the pad.  I've watched my recording so many times.  I just can't honestly see it on Phelps favor.

No point for Serbians to pursue anything.  Organizers can simply say the pad is pressure sensitive, thus Phelps "slam" on the pad could have registered 1/100 faster than the Serbs "milder" fingertip touch.    Kung puede nga lang ulitin nalang nila ng one on one.   ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 09:56 PM »
from espn...

Unless you're Michael Phelps. Who never loses. Even when the naked eye tricks you into believing he did.

The naked eye said he lost. The naked eye said the bid to win eight gold medals had stopped in a stunning upset at the hands of Cavic -- a previously anonymous Californian swimming for Serbia, and doing a splendid impersonation of Buster Douglas in a Speedo. The naked eye said the most captivating Olympic story line since the Miracle on Ice had been scuttled.

Phelps made the right choice, somehow manufacturing a "short, fast stroke" to the wall. Cavic was no more than a foot from touching when Phelps still had his hands in the water. His recovery and reach were frantically fast.

Cavic stretched out, fully extended, hands grazing the wall below the water's surface. Phelps hammered the wall at water's edge. Those high-low butterfly finishes are the hardest for fans to judge -- and the judgment in the Cube was nearly universal.

"I thought Cavic won," fumed Serbian journalist Dejan Stevovic of Sportski Zurnal. "It was obvious."

"But he doesn't have $50 million in sponsors, like that guy," grumbled another Serb.

A world record was set for fastest hatching of a conspiracy theory. The greedy Americans were winning again, and cheating to make sure.

Never mind that there was no conceivable way to cook the timing of a bang-bang finish that displays instant results -- people wanted to believe the race was fixed. Or at least that the touch pads were faulty.

So the Serbs filed a written protest with FINA, the governing body of swimming. The Omega timing system had the same times on both its standard and backup apparatus. Referee Ben Ekumbo of Kenya then reviewed super-slow-motion replays of the finish and rejected the protest.

"It was very clear that the Serbian swimmer touched second after Michael Phelps," Ekumbo said.

To mollify the Serb contingent, Ekumbo showed them the video after the morning events were done.

"The Serbian team was very satisfied," Ekumbo said.

End of conspiracy. There are no grassy knolls at the Water Cube.

Offline jay2

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #36 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM »
mga gurus may link ba kayo kung saan pwede makita yung laban na yan? hinahanap ko sa youtube kung anu-ano lang ang lumalabas eh  ;D

thanks

jay

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:28 PM »
Sana pakita nila yung cam works ne.  1/100 sec difference means the moment the winner activated the pad, the opponent is barely 1.97cm away; and that is assuming the opponent has not even touched his own pad.  what if he had already touched the pad but it took 1/100 sec for the pressure sensitive part to get activated???   bloody awesome underwater cam ne.  where is it located? right at the bottom corner of the pool on every lane?  it cant be too far unless it's NASA made cam.

I'll ask my grandkid to view my recording in the future.  ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:31 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:44 PM »
9.69 secs for the Jamaican runner Bolt in 100m.  Awesome!!!  Mukhang nag-slow down pa sa huli..Grabe! 

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 02:38 AM »
Sana pakita nila yung cam works ne.  1/100 sec difference means the moment the winner activated the pad, the opponent is barely 1.97cm away; and that is assuming the opponent has not even touched his own pad.  what if he had already touched the pad but it took 1/100 sec for the pressure sensitive part to get activated???   bloody awesome underwater cam ne.  where is it located? right at the bottom corner of the pool on every lane?  it cant be too far unless it's NASA made cam.

I'll ask my grandkid to view my recording in the future.  ;D

Got the links to the pics  from another forum...

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 at 02:39 AM by dennispm »
Know Thyself!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 08:44 AM »
Cant get any closer than that.    ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM by Munskie »

Offline JuMpSt@rT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • JuMpSt@rT
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 09:29 AM »
(dunno if re-post na to...)

Blue Screen of Death Strikes Bird's Nest During Opening Ceremonies Torch Lighting

di kaya pirated to? heheheh  ;D :D

link : http://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-screen-of-death-strikes-birds-nest-during-opening-ceremonies-torch-lighting

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM »
Truly one of the greatest.....ever.

Michael Phelps.    8 Golds in 1 Olympics.....14 Overall.

Now that it is over....what will he do next?   Retire at 23 or still compete?

Offline ramsey

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM »
Galing ni Phelps 8 golds! Ang Pinas hirap na hirap makakuha. Sana may counterpart din tayo ni Phelps.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #44 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM »
Galing ni Phelps 8 golds! Ang Pinas hirap na hirap makakuha. Sana may counterpart din tayo ni Phelps.

Tsk...tsk...kelan kaya tayo magkaka-gold? Kung kasali lang ang billiard malaki tsansa natin magkaroon ng gold.  :)

Pasalamat US kay Phelps and 8 golds kaagad binigay nya.  ;D

Btw, Nadal gets the gold in men's single.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #45 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 11:13 PM »
Medal man needs a mighty moniker

Any ideas?  How about "Boy Syokoy"?  ;D - tama ba spelling?
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 at 11:16 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #46 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 11:19 PM »
did you guys catch the springboad diving? that guo jingjing of china is a looker :D
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #47 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 12:12 AM »
Michael Phelps - Greatest Olympian Ever?? Hmmm..... your thoughts please.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 04:01 AM »
Medal man needs a mighty moniker

Any ideas?  How about "Boy Syokoy"?  ;D - tama ba spelling?

The only aquatic thing that rhymes with Phelps that I can think of is "kelps"!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 10:46 PM »
Usain Bolt just broke Michael Johnson's 12-year old WR in the 200m.  19.30 secs.  Human thoroughbred!!!

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 09:19 AM »

Questions:

1.  The cauldron/olympic flame - was it there before it was lighted? parang the whole time during opening ceremonies its not yet there, even the photos of the rooftop of the bird's nest show its not there. They just "folded" it in time for the lighting of the flame? Does anyone know/read how?

2.   The medals - the back of the medal has a smaller circle, right? it's not one solid flat round medal at the back? at first i thought they have 2 different medals that they are giving out.

3.   Does anyone know what time is the Closing Ceremonies on Sunday Aug.24?

Thanks.
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
Questions:

1.  The cauldron/olympic flame - was it there before it was lighted? parang the whole time during opening ceremonies its not yet there, even the photos of the rooftop of the bird's nest show its not there. They just "folded" it in time for the lighting of the flame? Does anyone know/read how?

Thanks.

At the moment the cauldron was lighted up, the NBC commentators mentioned that 30 minutes earlier, it was not even there.   So I would guess that while the athletes were parading in the stadium and getting the audience attention, the cauldron unit was finally lifted (using cranes or heavy-load choppers perhaps), positioned in place and bolted (it could not have been welded).  It was magnificent feat of engineering in any case.

It would have been much cooler if the cauldron was flushed somewhere inside the roof of the Bird's Nest and retracted out during the athlete's parade.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2008 at 10:48 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 11:53 AM »
astig si Bolt, ang layo ng agwat ng 2nd sa 200m... wow  :o

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 12:12 PM »
astig si Bolt, ang layo ng agwat ng 2nd sa 200m... wow  :o

But this time, he made an effort to run as fast as he could until the very end while looking at the clock.   19.30 secs.. that's 9.65 sec/100meter.  Sa 100m finals, he slowed down during the last 15 meters that could have reduced his time of 9.68 secs even further.  Parang walang effort.  Galing!

He can give Phelps a run for his money as the greatest Beijing Olympian.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #54 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM »
Kwela rin 'tong si Bolt when they were introduced.  ;D One thing I noticed he is really very tall about 6' 5" ata and he uses that to his advantage.

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 12:36 PM »

Bolt was being wooed to run the 400meters. i dont know if that is possible.

does anyone know what events is he entered in?

anyone knows the time of the Closing Ceremonies.... i am just assuming that its gonna e in the evening as well. because looking at the schedules, there are still boxing bouts in the afternoon...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 21, 2008 at 01:23 PM »
Bolt was being wooed to run the 400meters. i dont know if that is possible.
does anyone know what events is he entered in?
anyone knows the time of the Closing Ceremonies.... i am just assuming that its gonna e in the evening as well. because looking at the schedules, there are still boxing bouts in the afternoon...

Does he have the stamina for the 400m?  It would be interesting to see him try.  He has matched Carl Lewis feat for the 100m and 200m in 1984.  It would be awesome if he could match Michael Johnson's 1996 feat for the 200m and 400m within the same Olympics.  That would make him the greatest sprint runner of all time.

I think he would be running in the 100m medley for Jamaica.  Meron bang 200m na medley???

All closing ceremonies are done during the night.  Malamang pareho lang ng time ng Opening Ceremonies or maybe earlier by an hour.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2008 at 01:25 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 03:44 PM »

no there's no 200m medley... (and medley is only for swimming, kse different strokes)

only 4x100... and 4x400 relays...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 23, 2008 at 07:20 PM »

Closing Ceremonies will be at 8PM also...

and plenty to watch still in the afternoon...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 24, 2008 at 01:22 PM »