Author Topic: Tube Integrated Amplifier  (Read 6235 times)

Offline dblarano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tube Integrated Amplifier
« on: Aug 03, 2008 at 09:42 PM »
 I want to buy a tube amplifier but I don't know what to pick out. I want just an amp which can deliver pure, clean music.
Anybody can help me. I will visit Phasetron Audio maybe on the middle of August.
I have an existing speakers, Cerwin Vega, Wharfedale,and Family Floorstander.

Please help me.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
Re: Tube Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 11:40 AM »
Hi bro, you may wanna try some of my cousin's Tube Amp and Pre-amp DIY. Baka mas maka-mura ka at pwede mo pa pa-customized kung ano ang gusto mo. Try to Contact him na lang, di ka magsisisi sa mga gawa nya, lalung-lalo na sa Sound Quality :)

Here's his Name and Contact No. 

Ruel Felix
0918-4520558

Goodluck Bro :)
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008 at 11:41 AM by reynold »
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 12:32 PM »
Audition  :) bring your favorite CD. Don't rely on others comment and get the best sounding for you, after all youre the one who's buying and will listen  ;D

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 10:42 PM »
Audition  :) bring your favorite CD. Don't rely on others comment and get the best sounding for you, after all youre the one who's buying and will listen  ;D

I second the motion! :)
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2008 at 07:24 AM »
Plenty of Tube Amps at the 08Alabang Audio Fair, Aug 8-10. Audition there!

cyber

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2008 at 01:41 PM »
I want to buy a tube amplifier but I don't know what to pick out. I want just an amp which can deliver pure, clean music.
Anybody can help me. I will visit Phasetron Audio maybe on the middle of August.
I have an existing speakers, Cerwin Vega, Wharfedale,and Family Floorstander.

Please help me.

Bro, Have you visited Kinetic aka "Phasetron" ? They are now on sale and one more thing is that they will let you audition as many available tube amp on display as possible. It will really help you decide which amp will suit your taste.

;D
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2008 at 01:56 PM by BigBert-2 »

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
Audition!

Also ask people who bought locally made tube amps their experiences, a friend has repaired some locally made tube amps that loves to go "red plates" hehehehe.... These amps came from the same store.

Also check the quality of the "Irons", some of them get so hot, you can fry an egg on it.

Some local "gurus" also will use some surplus parts so that their margin/profit is more. I had this experience of having somebody build me an equipment, and the PSU caps came from computer PSUs and the power transformers were wound using cardboard as layer insulation with  masking tapes!  :o

So audition, ask people who have tubed equipment before forking your money.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2008 at 11:33 AM by alexg »
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2008 at 11:32 AM »
Audition!

Also ask people who bought locally made tube amps their experiences, a friend has repaired some locally made tube amps that loves to go "red plates" hehehehe.... These amps came from the same store.

Also check the quality of the "Irons", some of them get so hot, you can fry an egg on it.

::) hmmmmm....
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2008 at 11:32 AM by Philjonc »

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2008 at 05:20 PM »
Audition!

Some local "gurus" also will use some surplus parts so that their margin/profit is more. I had this experience of having somebody build me an equipment, and the PSU caps came from computer PSUs and the power transformers were wound using cardboard as layer insulation with  masking tapes!  :o

Interesting.... :o

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 10:46 AM »
Audition!

Hear! Hear!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 11:15 AM »
 ::)
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2009 at 04:07 AM by JohnE. »
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline karce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 11:20 AM »
Audition!

Kakatakot ito sir a... for people tulod namin na hindi masyadong technical maiisahan talaga kami :)

Better buy those branded ones nalang siguro.  At least may warranty and ISO standards.  Good thing is dumadami na rin mga branded tube amps na affordable lately sa market tulad ng Cayin at iba pa.

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 12:42 PM »

alexg,

is it possible that the "irons" get hot due to amp's  "Class A" design?

louie

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 12:53 PM »

pwede, classA designs are heat mongers :D....but on the serious side is, the design was conservative to start with, tinipid yung bakal...more iron means less profit.... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 02:00 PM »
alexg,

louie

Even at Class A, you should be able to hold the power transformers, but this one you cannot hold for more than 10 seconds. If you can't hold them, then you might want to back down on your bias.

My winder uses Z11 on my power transformers and all of my tube amps are Class A, these transformers gets warm after about a day of use, but not HOT. Believe me, I like some things very hot, like my coffee and my women, but not the irons on my tube amps!  ;D

I am not an expert on transformers, but I  know that low quality cores (H50 or H20) heats up like crazy and they are CHEAP! Aside from the overheating, these cores have a lot of  losses. Since the tube amp have transformer cover, I can't tell if the cores used are H50 ro H20, but even with the transformer cover on, the cover gets very, very hot to the touch!  :D

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 02:38 PM »
hhhmmmm.... ano kayang brand 'to ???
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 03:30 PM »

I am not an expert on transformers, but I  know that low quality cores (H50 or H20) heats up like crazy and they are CHEAP! Aside from the overheating, these cores have a lot of  losses. Since the tube amp have transformer cover, I can't tell if the cores used are H50 ro H20, but even with the transformer cover on, the cover gets very, very hot to the touch!  :D

Will this result to the "red plate" defect or what causes this?

Thanks,

Louie

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 04:36 PM »
Will this result to the "red plate" defect or what causes this?

Thanks,

Louie

This will not result in red plates. Red plates happen when there is too much current, way beyond the recommended by the tube manufacturer is passing through the tube. Which means that tubes are operated past its designed plate dissipation.

Shorted bypass cathode capacitor can result in red plates as well as bad "fixed bias" voltage supply. Some designers will also push a tube "too hot" (beyond plate dissipation capacity of the tube) and this will result in red plates too. Pushing tubes beyond or near their limits is done to extract more power from the tubes. So if you see a PP KT88 rated at 100+ watts per channel, it is pushing the tubes to its limits.  ;D

The use of low quality iron cores (H20, H50) will turn your amp into a room heater, great if you live in a temperate country in the middle of winter!  ;D

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 04:44 PM »
This will not result in red plates. Red plates happen when there is too much current, way beyond the recommended by the tube manufacturer is passing through the tube. Which means that tubes are operated past its designed plate dissipation.

Shorted bypass cathode capacitor can result in red plates as well as bad "fixed bias" voltage supply. Some designers will also push a tube "too hot" (beyond plate dissipation capacity of the tube) and this will result in red plates too. Pushing tubes beyond or near their limits is done to extract more power from the tubes. So if you see a PP KT88 rated at 100+ watts per channel, it is pushing the tubes to its limits.  ;D

Thank you for the info.

Louie

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 08:13 AM »
My winder uses Z11 on my power transformers

these are DEECO irons, compared to M6 GOSS, you need more copper on them....they can be made to run cool... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 09:37 AM »
these are DEECO irons, compared to M6 GOSS, you need more copper on them....they can be made to run cool... ;D

btw, parang nakita ko dati may mga nagpapagawa ng transformers sa golden mars. meron din yata sila raw materials used for trannies.  ok kaya dun?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 09:57 AM »
btw, parang nakita ko dati may mga nagpapagawa ng transformers sa golden mars. meron din yata sila raw materials used for trannies.  ok kaya dun?

doon ako bumubile ng magnet wires, di to pa natry magpagawa sa kanila.....pero along shaw blvd. makalampas ng "moon palace",(or malapit doon) merong store na tumatanggap ng made to order na transformers.... ;D

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 10:09 AM »
doon ako bumubile ng magnet wires, di to pa natry magpagawa sa kanila.....pero along shaw blvd. makalampas ng "moon palace",(or malapit doon) merong store na tumatanggap ng made to order na transformers.... ;D

Excel?

Yung mga trannies ko, pinapagawa ko sa Lily Anns in Gateway, Cubao... Ok naman  :)  I just make sure that I give it a lot of headroom para hindi mag-init  :)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 10:15 AM »
Excel?

Yung mga trannies ko, pinapagawa ko sa Lily Anns in Gateway, Cubao... Ok naman  :)  I just make sure that I give it a lot of headroom para hindi mag-init  :)

yung nga, ang gawa ko, i design for say a 1 1/4 inch x 1 1/2 core, then i ask the store to use a 1 1/2 inch x 2 inch core, this way the traffo runs cooler.... ;D

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 02:01 PM »
yung nga, ang gawa ko, i design for say a 1 1/4 inch x 1 1/2 core, then i ask the store to use a 1 1/2 inch x 2 inch core, this way the traffo runs cooler.... ;D

That is a good practice, de-rating of parts, how about losses? Would low quality cores have power losses, as they generate heat? How much is wasted on these losses? (am not an iron expert, so am asking these questions). Thanks.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 02:22 PM »
That is a good practice, de-rating of parts, how about losses? Would low quality cores have power losses, as they generate heat? How much is wasted on these losses? (am not an iron expert, so am asking these questions). Thanks.

cores have a certein amount of loss based on weight, but then operating them at low exciting currents and bigger wire sizes means losses can be decreased....it is a balancing act no less.... ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2008 at 04:08 AM by TonyT »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 05:27 PM »
... but then operating them at low exciting currents and bigger wire sizes means losses can be decreased....it is a balancing act no less.... ;D

err ... i beg your pardon ... bigger wires will mean more losses ... less profit that is  ;D  ;D  ;D

Don't be caught in the hype ... we are in a commercial jungle ... do you assignment before plunging ... the only sure path to an enjoyable listening!

My kudos to alexg ... mabuhay ka bro!
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 04:11 AM »
err ... i beg your pardon ... bigger wires will mean more losses ... less profit that is  ;D  ;D  ;D

Don't be caught in the hype ... we are in a commercial jungle ... do you assignment before plunging ... the only sure path to an enjoyable listening!

My kudos to alexg ... mabuhay ka bro!

LOL!!! yes....that is why diy'ers are not constraind by accountants....production run being one.....one can splurge and splurge big..... ;D

DIY'ers do not have to think about profits...... :D

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 07:02 PM »
LOL!!! yes....that is why diy'ers are not constraind by accountants....production run being one.....one can splurge and splurge big..... ;D

DIY'ers do not have to think about profits...... :D

That's the essence of DIY....:D

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 09:05 AM »

I was just informed that these amps who loves to go red plate were modified after leaving the store.

Sorry for the confusion.