Author Topic: TV5 : Shakin' the TV Landscape  (Read 7870 times)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
TV5 : Shakin' the TV Landscape
« on: Aug 08, 2008 at 10:02 PM »

Hi Guys,

Am inviting everybody to watch tom the launching of the newest VHF TV channel on the block - TV5.
Tonight, ABC5 will have its final sign-off.  Shortly after midnight, there would be a 'black-out' and a countdown till 7pm tomorrow Saturday when we unveil the new look of channel 5.  New programs, new scheduling.  Targeted towards free tv viewers; cable subscribers would have its upside too.  It's a younger looking, dynamic network - not exactly for the upmarket crowd but more for the C-D socio-eco crowd (a couple of notches higher than 2 & 7 though  ;)).

We're pumping up the transmission power to around 120kW at par with the kapuso and kapamilya networks.  The former ABC5 was operating at around 20-40kW at best so this is really a step-change in transmission quality.  We're transitioning the other programs as well so feel free to drop by to sample the new programs.

Cheers!
Marl_5

PS: We're upgrading the website as well - still under construction though http://www.tv5.com.ph/
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2008 at 09:55 PM by Marl_5 »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: TV5 : Shakin' the TV Landscape
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2008 at 03:08 AM »

Alrighty Marl_5! ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2008 at 10:26 AM »

Alrighty Marl_5! ;)

Hey thanks bro.  If you check out channel 5 right now, you'll see that the countdown has begun... ;D
Hope you guys enjoy the content - Consider me as your 'hotline' to any feedback you may have (constructive hopefully) as TV5 makes its bid to be the 3rd force in Phil Free TV.  ;)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2008 at 11:14 AM »
thanks for the heads up.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 01:48 AM »

Hey Congrats Marl_5! Saw last night the 2-hour grand opening of TV5. Nice to see different artists taking part in introducing their new shows. Liked the dance production numbers (Regine in a cheer dancing sequence and Lucy at her best) more than the singing. I thought that PHILIPPINES SCARIEST CHALLENGE is very similar to FEAR FACTOR but the PSC's take is on the supernatural side so I'll be watching it. MIDNIGHT DJ sounds interesting. Will try to catch other new shows. ;)

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 03:40 PM »
sana the new tv5 becomes a haven where there are no network wars, where underrated talents from both networks get to do different stuff like qtv's camera cafe.good luck! we need alternative channels!

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 10:46 PM »
sana the new tv5 becomes a haven where there are no network wars, where underrated talents from both networks get to do different stuff like qtv's camera cafe.good luck! we need alternative channels!

Quite surprised to see a huge number of ABS talents more than 7. Buti nakuha nila ang services ng 2.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 01:52 AM »

Hey Congrats Marl_5! Saw last night the 2-hour grand opening of TV5. Nice to see different artists taking part in introducing their new shows. Liked the dance production numbers (Regine in a cheer dancing sequence and Lucy at her best) more than the singing. I thought that PHILIPPINES SCARIEST CHALLENGE is very similar to FEAR FACTOR but the PSC's take is on the supernatural side so I'll be watching it. MIDNIGHT DJ sounds interesting. Will try to catch other new shows. ;)

Hey thanks for staying tuned buddy.  Yes, we're taking some successful formulas in the tv landscape and moving it up to the next level by putting in a twist or two to make it unique.  Aside from this, we'll have proprietary shows rin which could be deemed as "firsts."  Continue watching bro, enjoy!  ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 01:56 AM »

Hi halvert, excellent point.  That's actually the rationale for the existence of TV5, just to give viewers an alternative choice.  We're not so hot on 'locking' in stars.  It's a halfway place where anybody can show off their wares without getting branded.  Precisely the reason why we didn't use any 'tag' like 'kapamilya' or 'kapuso' which we feel are divisive.  Anyway, TV5 is basically open to working with anybody! No strings.  ;)  Just programming for the people.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 02:03 AM »
       Quite surprised to see a huge number of ABS talents more than 7. Buti nakuha nila ang services ng 2.

Let's just say Dos was 'less paranoid' and decided to be more lenient with their talents.  Siete is guarding the fence tightly.  ;)

Both channels have different ways of running their businesses - kanya-kanyang style so am in no position to judge.  In fairness them, both have managed to run excellent business models which resulted in them being the dominant players in the industry so no one could argue with success. To each his own - hopefully the viewers feel that we're bringing in something new to the table.

Cheers!  :)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 01:36 AM »
Continue watching bro, enjoy!  ;)

Saw MIDNIGHT DJ last night. I even re-watched ANACONDAS: THE HUNT FOR THE BLOOD ORCHID right after THE GRAND LAUNCH last Saturday night. I'll be checking some other shows. ;)

Offline Qoheleth

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM »
Will TV5 show Cinemalaya films or local indie films on primetime?

I saw a handful of Cinemalaya films during the reign of ABC 5. I hope TV5 continue to show local films.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:00 AM »

I saw a handful of Cinemalaya films during the reign of ABC 5. I hope TV5 continue to show local films.

...And also hopefully TV5 will have their share of tagalog klasiks. Bring back the glory of tagalog movies of the '80's backward at least on free TV. Don't mind watching them even if it's aired late night. ;)

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:00 AM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 04:09 PM »
if they can loosen the stranglehold that the soaps have on the pinoy household, that would be a victory in itself. hope you can bring back the weekly sitcoms like tropang trumpo. i also liked the old abc5's single,  music bureau, love notes... syempre i loved friends and ER.
and if you could improve the graphics of pba, that would be great. i noticed kasi that uaap on studio 23 looks better...

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 04:17 PM »
and if you could improve the graphics of pba, that would be great. i noticed kasi that uaap on studio 23 looks better...

I don't think they would do anything more for the coverage of the PBA.. PBA is moving to Solar Sports na kasi starting next season.. so the current finals between Ginebra-Air21 will be the last PBA games in TV5..

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
            Saw MIDNIGHT DJ last night. I even re-watched ANACONDAS: THE HUNT FOR THE BLOOD ORCHID right after THE GRAND LAUNCH last Saturday night. I'll be checking some other shows. ;)

Hey great, many thanks.  You have to catch the other features we have on 5Max Movies.  Created the name 5Max pala as a play on the word IMAX.  It's like saying that our features are 5 times bigger during weekdays.  Instead of getting your weekly movie via a 'Sunday Blockbuster' type of scheduling, we're running a major blockbuster each day of the week.  For sure a big thing for free TV subscribers.  No more buying of *(%*() DVDs.  ;D 

Lotsa more cool titles to be launched.  The deal I entered into with Sony International is one of the biggest deals ever in the history of Philippine TV.  ;)  We're still finishing discussions with other studios like Universal - am very excited with bringing blockbuster titles to the wider audience.  ;)  Stay tuned!

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 09:17 PM »

Hi bro, unfortunately we did let go of all the previous programs with the exception of Shall We Dance (how can you resist Lucy's dance magic charm), and The Evening News (now called T.E.N.).  Cinemalya was indeed one of the key initiatives ABC5 undertook to harness and showcase the talents of Pinoys but you will see in our programming we will likewise be launching other programs which would serve to showcase the innate skills of Filipinos in front and behind the camera as well.  For instance in our drama block, we're tapping into great indie directors and other visionaries to develop a unique mood and feel for a certain flagship titles.  In 5Max Movies, we'll likewise be showing a couple of blockbuster local films to cater to the preference of other bigger target publics. Stay tuned, ang dami pang bago na mangyayari sa TV5.  ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 09:21 PM »
if they can loosen the stranglehold that the soaps have on the pinoy household, that would be a victory in itself. hope you can bring back the weekly sitcoms like tropang trumpo. i also liked the old abc5's single,  music bureau, love notes... syempre i loved friends and ER.

Yes, the whole rationale of TV5 is based on the assumption that every 7pm every night, not ALL pinoys can possibly be watching only teleseryes.  They maybe locked in there cause there's no other solid alternative in the current Free TV landscape to go to; other may alternatively just be 'settling.'  We're trying to address that gap and breaking habits at the same time.  It's clearly a challenge, but that is what makes this new job so exciting.  ;)  We may not get it the initial tries, but we will be persistent and rest assured we will evolve.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 09:24 PM »
I don't think they would do anything more for the coverage of the PBA.. PBA is moving to Solar Sports na kasi starting next season.. so the current finals between Ginebra-Air21 will be the last PBA games in TV5..

We put in some effort to change what we can in the Finals but that's correct, we have decided not to renew the contract with PBA due to certain rationales I need not disclose.  Rest assured, it was a win-win deal for both parties and PBA will continue to thrive in another channel while TV5 will be free to chase down the new strategies we've put on the table to enable us to be the third force in Philippine TV.   :)

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • ALL your BASE are BELONG to US...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 10:19 PM »
Hey congratulations on launching TV5 bro!!! Had a first look at your dating show Mysmatch. Wicked!!!! Dagdagan nyo po kaya ng subtitle: Mysmatch with Arch & Iya (Archie Alemania & Iya Villania)...

Comments lang sir... I happened to watch the first episode of "Have Baby, Will Date". Halos wala akong marinig sa dialogue ng actors, FYI. Interesting na sana.

Anyways, any chance of bringing back Mommy Elvie and her ever-problematic show?!?  ;D
Screws fall off everytime. The world is an imperfect place...

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 01:41 AM »
Hey great, many thanks.  You have to catch the other features we have on 5Max Movies.  Created the name 5Max pala as a play on the word IMAX. 

Oo nga 'no. :) Marl_5 in regards with MIDNIGHT DJ, Can I make a request? ;D Just playing with words lang din. I know it's only been just a pilot that's been aired last Monday night, but is it possible to have the stories be based on truth eventually? 'Yun laang. I'll be watching the next episode. Thanks for the responses as well.

I'll stay tuned. ;)

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008 at 01:43 AM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 08:45 PM »
       Oo nga 'no. :) Marl_5 in regards with MIDNIGHT DJ, Can I make a request? ;D Just playing with words lang din. I know it's only been just a pilot that's been aired last Monday night, but is it possible to have the stories be based on truth eventually? 'Yun laang. I'll be watching the next episode. Thanks for the responses as well.

I'll stay tuned. ;)

Hey thanks buddy.  appreciate the feedback. right now, we have internally produced shows and some pitched-in by external producers.  Such is Midnight DJ - we can however make suggestions to make sure the program maintains its production quality thus maintaining its viewer base. Will make the suggestion, although materials may be scarce when it comes to true-to-life stuff.  You may want to sample our Philippine Scariest Challenge - that's a program where the scary stuff is for real (i.e. infamous haunted hospitals, freaky locations etc.).  Again, some of the initial celebrities opted out of the challenge cause they just can't take the haunted environment.  Ganda yun, check it out bro.  ;)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 03:37 AM »
Hey thanks buddy.  appreciate the feedback. right now, we have internally produced shows and some pitched-in by external producers.  Such is Midnight DJ - we can however make suggestions to make sure the program maintains its production quality thus maintaining its viewer base. Will make the suggestion, although materials may be scarce when it comes to true-to-life stuff.  You may want to sample our Philippine Scariest Challenge - that's a program where the scary stuff is for real (i.e. infamous haunted hospitals, freaky locations etc.).  Again, some of the initial celebrities opted out of the challenge cause they just can't take the haunted environment.  Ganda yun, check it out bro.  ;)

I will, definitely. And as for doing a truth-based stories in MIDNIGHT DJ, that had me thinking right after posting my thoughts Marl_5. You have already a different show that tackles real haunted places and that sort of leave the other, in that case, MIDNIGHT DJ as a supernatural TV show in a fictional setting. So there, I'm good na. :)

Truth be told, I'm more looking forward to PHILIPPINES' SCARIEST CHALLENGE than MIDNIGHT DJ 'cause real emotions are being presented in the show which is tonight na pala. ;)

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 05:49 PM »
i love the new station ad featuring the people with tvs for heads. very cool.
but i must say i am irritated by the host of juicy. masyadong  maarte. nahihilo rin ako sa papalit-palit ng camera for just one spiel.
ok din yung hollywood movies during primetime, but as Qoheleth suggested, i would love some pinoy indies as well.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 01:11 AM »

I anticipated and assumed that PHILIPPINES' SCARIEST CHALLENGE was tonight, PBA pa pala. Some new shows introduced last Saturday's Grand Launch were already on air. Marl_5, if you don't mind my asking, is PSC still on Friday night as earlier promoted?

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 01:27 AM »
i love the new station ad featuring the people with tvs for heads. very cool.
but i must say i am irritated by the host of juicy. masyadong  maarte. nahihilo rin ako sa papalit-palit ng camera for just one spiel.
ok din yung hollywood movies during primetime, but as Qoheleth suggested, i would love some pinoy indies as well.

Hey thanks for the feedback.  The host of Juicy is Alex Gonzaga - sister of Toni Gonzaga.  She's the more kalog and extrovert version of Toni kaya mejo mas 'forward' nga sha if you know what I mean.   ;)  She's kinda new so matututo rin yan with more experience.  ;D

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 01:29 AM »

I anticipated and assumed that PHILIPPINES' SCARIEST CHALLENGE was tonight, PBA pa pala. Some new shows introduced last Saturday's Grand Launch were already on air. Marl_5, if you don't mind my asking, is PSC still on Friday night as earlier promoted?

Sorry about that bro, the prob is the PBA sked is very erratic and ang hirap i-forecast.  You'll never know if someone will sweep it up or it will end up extending to the full 7 games.  As such, mejo na-disrupt yung intended programming sked namin but do bear with us once the PBA finishes, we'll run the regular routine skeds. 

Next Fri 8/22 pm tuloy na yung PSC. Thanks for tuning in bro!  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 01:34 AM by Marl_5 »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:18 AM »
Sorry about that bro, the prob is the PBA sked is very erratic and ang hirap i-forecast.  You'll never know if someone will sweep it up or it will end up extending to the full 7 games.  As such, mejo na-disrupt yung intended programming sked namin but do bear with us once the PBA finishes, we'll run the regular routine skeds. 

Next Fri 8/22 pm tuloy na yung PSC. Thanks for tuning in bro!  ;)

No problemo amigo! :)

Offline chizcake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:25 AM »
good day sir,

just dropping by to say , good work on LOKOMOKO,it was fun wathing it , new ideas!!! !

a few more energy on the host will be a two thumbs up!

congrats po
37LD460
BDP1500
RXV-450
A-Audio Tablette 5' FS
WH2 Center
KLH Surround

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
good day sir,

just dropping by to say , good work on LOKOMOKO,it was fun wathing it , new ideas!!! !

a few more energy on the host will be a two thumbs up!

congrats po

Cool! Glad you enjoyed that!  Continue watching sir, not everything's perfect but it's bound to improve once we get into full swing as a channel.  Cheers!  ;)