Author Topic: Hawaii Five-O 2.0  (Read 9903 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Hawaii Five-O 2.0
« on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:36 AM »
CBS is saying aloha to a new installment of the "Hawaii Five-O" franchise from "Criminal Minds" exec producer/showrunner Ed Bernero.

The new take on the popular crime drama, which aired on CBS from 1968-80, is one of three projects Bernero has in the works, along with "Washington Field," which is being done in cooperation with the FBI, and a fugitive apprehension drama.

Bernero is such a big "Hawaii Five-O" fan that he has the iconic theme song from the show as his ringtone. He said he didn't even hesitate when execs at CBS Par TV, where he has an overall deal, approached him with the idea for a new incarnation of the classic Leonard Freeman cop series.

Bernero is writing the project, which he describes as " 'Hawaii Five-O' 2.0."

Like the original series, it is a procedural chronicling the workings of the fictional Hawaiian state police department. In the original, the unit was headed by Steve McGarrett, played by Jack Lord. In the new series, McGarrett's son Chris will be the top cop.

While the characters, storytelling and pacing will be updated, "we will try to keep as much of the original show as possible," Bernero said. "I'm not trying to reinvent it."

The famous opening music will be back but may also get a face-lift, much in the vein of the theme from the 1966-73 series "Mission: Impossible," which was rearranged for the 1990s movie franchise.

As for the staple "Book 'em, Danno" closing line, there will be a version of it in the new installment, Bernero said.

"Five-O," which would be filmed in Hawaii, is the second classic cop series that CBS is looking to bring back. The network also is developing an updated "Streets of San Francisco," penned by Sheldon Turner.

The two would give CBS more procedurals in distinct locales to complement its "CSI" series set in Las Vegas, Miami and New York.

Like several other classic cop series such as "Starsky & Hutch" and "Miami Vice," which have made the leap to the big screen, there has been an attempt to make a "Five-0" feature, but the project, set at Warner Bros., has been dormant for a while.

"Washington Field," also set up at CBS, is named after FBI's Washington Field Office that houses the National Capital Response Squad, an unit comprising elite experts in different areas who travel around the world, responding to events that concern the U.S. national interest.

"If the police need help, they call them," said Bernero, who is penning the project with brothers Jim and Tim Clemente. "It's almost like 'The A-Team,' but it's real."

Jim Clemente, an FBI profiler, has written an episode of "Criminal Minds." Tim Clemente is a former terrorism expert on NCRS.

FBI is opening its doors to "Washington Field." For example, the show would be able to film in the agencies' facilities and use the "from the files of the FBI" logo.

The third project UTA-repped Bernero has in the works at CBS Par TV centers on the FBI's fugitive apprehension unit.

"The main character is a woman who is the daughter of a fugitive, so she has an unique eye to how they run and hide," Bernero said.

The idea was pitched to him by novelist Joseph Finder and his brother Henry, New Yorker editorial director. The two will pen the script with Bernero supervising.

Source: HollywoodReporter.com

=====

Well, it could've been worse. They could've given us "C.S.I.: Hawai'i" instead.  ::)

;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: Hawaii Five-O 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 10:15 PM »
I'm getting a Baywatch/Miami Vice vibe here, with loads of brunettes instead of Malibu Barbie clones, and Hawaiian shirts everywhere instead of pastel suits, LOL

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 01:56 AM »
I remember when I was a little boy they did a spoof on john & marsha but instead of steve mcgarret, Dolphy played "Steve Magalit" :lol:

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 03:30 AM »

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 07:42 AM »
panay preview nito sa axn. starts on nov 14 9pm  ;D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 07:48 AM »
O.T. Sandali:

Where can i buy the cd of hawaii five-o music by Henry Mancini? Ganda kasi ng mga kasama nito.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:07 AM »
Love this show. It's probably my favorite new network show of the Fall 2010 season.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:56 AM »
It's oddly compelling. The chemistry between Caan and O'Loughlin is hilarious. And no matter how thin she is I LOVES the Grace Park  :o

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 10:44 AM »
Thanks Mr. Hankey for starting the thread, akala ko wala pang nakakapanood ng remake ng TV series na to. I've seen episodes 1 to 4 now and I liked it better than NCIS LA. Onga, sobrang skinny ni Grace Park pero I dig her, parang pinay/hawaiian tapos ok magsalita. I have episodes 5 and 6 but haven't seen them yet, Episode 5 had the Philippines mentioned as also refered by Mr. Hankey in the other thread.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline siriusblack

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2010 at 01:03 PM »
Thanks Mr. Hankey for starting the thread, akala ko wala pang nakakapanood ng remake ng TV series na to. I've seen episodes 1 to 4 now and I liked it better than NCIS LA. Onga, sobrang skinny ni Grace Park pero I dig her, parang pinay/hawaiian tapos ok magsalita. I have episodes 5 and 6 but haven't seen them yet, Episode 5 had the Philippines mentioned as also refered by Mr. Hankey in the other thread.

like a previous episode of NCIS, the Philippines/Abu Sayyaf has been mentioned on the series.
Lord, help me prove that winning the lottery won't spoil me !!

Offline Jerricson098

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Hawaii Five-0, which is better, the original or the remake?
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2011 at 08:10 PM »
Me? Both! But I hated the opening of the remake, they shortened the theme song for 30 seconds rather than 1 minute.
You're just a two-time coward loser.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 07:39 PM »
May season 2 na pala, just watched the first episode.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 07:29 PM »
May season 2 na pala, just watched the first episode.

may second episode na ang season 2.

Offline XanderCage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 09:44 PM »
may second episode na ang season 2.

at may new chick. hehe

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM »
Yep, saw that as well. I don't like the new chick, mas gusto ko pa rin si Grace Park kahit payatutin  ;D

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 08:11 PM »
Yep, saw that as well. I don't like the new chick, mas gusto ko pa rin si Grace Park kahit payatutin  ;D

i don't think payatutin grace park is out! yung ex-cia profiler jenna kaye, played by larisa oleynik, na nagdrive ng car na ginamit ni wo fat after killing victor hesse in the season 2 first episode is probably out but may return later.

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2012 at 07:13 PM »
Just read that CBS has renewed Hawaii Five-0 for a third season, which is good news to offset the bad news that came out early this month regarding Alex O'Loughlin's health--the lead star recently checked in a rehab facility "to receive supervised treatment for prescription pain medication due to a recent shoulder injury." CBS and O'Loughlin's reps declined to comment further, but regular viewers of the show (including me) have been noticing Steve McGarrett looking increasingly gaunt and almost zombie-like with each episode...kaya pala.

Fortunately, production on Hawaii Five-0 has not ground to a halt with the absence of its lead actor; they're way advanced in shooting schedules, and Steve McGarrett will probably be gone for just one episode. The show is still good, and got its groove back after that disastrous experiment in which a new character was added to the Five-0 force, which severely disrupted the group dynamic. I'm still scratching my head why they added this annoying Lori Weston character, and apparently loyal fans of the show really hated her and wanted her out. They got their wish, and the character was removed.

With Lori Weston gone, recent episodes have been really great, including an awesome episode with James Caan, and just last week, Ed Asner came in and reprised his character on the show more than 30 years ago, complete with actual footage from that 1975 episode.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2012 at 07:37 PM »
It was a very busy week for octogenarian Ed Asner. In seven days, he was on The Middle, Hot in Cleveland, and Hawaii Five-O;D

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 07:45 AM »
Just read that CBS has renewed Hawaii Five-0 for a third season, which is good news to offset the bad news that came out early this month regarding Alex O'Loughlin's health--the lead star recently checked in a rehab facility "to receive supervised treatment for prescription pain medication due to a recent shoulder injury." CBS and O'Loughlin's reps declined to comment further, but regular viewers of the show (including me) have been noticing Steve McGarrett looking increasingly gaunt and almost zombie-like with each episode...kaya pala.

Fortunately, production on Hawaii Five-0 has not ground to a halt with the absence of its lead actor; they're way advanced in shooting schedules, and Steve McGarrett will probably be gone for just one episode. The show is still good, and got its groove back after that disastrous experiment in which a new character was added to the Five-0 force, which severely disrupted the group dynamic. I'm still scratching my head why they added this annoying Lori Weston character, and apparently loyal fans of the show really hated her and wanted her out. They got their wish, and the character was removed.

With Lori Weston gone, recent episodes have been really great, including an awesome episode with James Caan, and just last week, Ed Asner came in and reprised his character on the show more than 30 years ago, complete with actual footage from that 1975 episode.  ;D

It seems that having a guest character as part of the five-0 force is not really an experiment. They did it with the Jenna Kaye character in the first season and with the Lori Weston in this second season. Expect Lori Weston to appear in future episodes, after all  they tried to spin a love angle between Steve McGarrett and Lori Weston.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM »
Actually I liked her when it went on but Grace Park lost more exposure in the series. But yeah I wish her to get out for good.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM by krets pulpol »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 06:35 PM »
^^according to my friend who's really into the show, the Lori Weston character was producer Peter Lenkov's pet project; it was intended for her to be a "female McGarrett." Consequently, McGarrett's current love interest, Lt. Catherine Rollins, was sent packing. Also sent away for good was Larisa Oleynik, who played Jenna Kaye. It was actually intended for Jenna to permanently join the 5-0 cast, but they killed her off after Weston came on board.

Lori Weston was introduced as a super character, able to do anything that the 5-0 force can do, and this reduced the screen time of the other supporting characters, most notably Chin Ho and Kono, which angered fans of the show, who bombarded Lenkov's Twitter account and CBS with hate mail and petitions were even made online to get rid of Weston. Production insiders also reported that Alex O'Loughlin and actress Lauren German, who played Weston, did not get along, resulting in their lack of chemistry onscreen.

The character's screen time was then significantly reduced, giving her injuries to downplay her abilities and sideline her to 5-0 HQ before booting her off, and Lt. Catherine Rollins was returned to the show. My friend says that German still has one more episode in her contract, so she might return for the finale (probably to be killed off, LOL)

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012 at 06:38 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM »
LOL, speaking of Lt. Catherine Rollins...   ;D

Michelle Borth Joins CBS’ ‘Hawaii Five-0′ As New Regular

Steve McGarrett’s love life is looking up. Michelle Borth, who appeared in five episodes of Hawaii Five-0‘s first two seasons as McGarrett’s squeeze, will join the CBS procedural as a regular when it returns for a third season in the fall. She will reprise her role as McGarrett’s girlfriend, Lt. Catherine Rollins. Borth, repped by CAA, New Wave Entertainment and Marcy Morris, first guest starred in the fourth episode of Hawaii Five-0‘s first season and was most recently seen in an episode last month. She previously starred on ABC’s The Forgotten and Canadian-produced Combat Hospital. Borth is the second recurring guest star to be upped to regular on Hawaii Five-0 following last year’s promotion of Masi Oka. She joins Grace Park as the second female regular cast member on the show.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 08:24 AM »
i don't think payatutin grace park is out! yung ex-cia profiler jenna kaye, played by larisa oleynik, na nagdrive ng car na ginamit ni wo fat after killing victor hesse in the season 2 first episode is probably out but may return later.

bony or not, I still have maaaad love for Grace Park (Kalookan City...heheh)

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 28, 2012 at 08:54 AM »
^^yeah me loves the Grace Park as well, and one of the reasons why I watch this show. Hard to believe she's 38, and is actually older than Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan.

This Monday is the two-part crossover with NCIS: Los Angeles:

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012 at 01:30 PM »
Just watched Part 1 of the crossover with NCIS: Los Angeles, which is a very good example of how it's done--plot and pacing were tight, and nicely plays off most of the main and supporting characters' strengths.

This might just make me a regular viewer of NCIS: Los Angeles, which I never watch.

Sorely missed in this episode was McGarrett, but Alex O'Loughlin was reported to be back on set in time to shoot the final episodes of the season.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012 at 01:31 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM »
You Can't Really Leave The Island: some former Lost stars will appear in this season's Hawaii Five-0

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #26 on: Sep 28, 2013 at 03:29 PM »
LOL, speaking of Lt. Catherine Rollins...   ;D

Michelle Borth Joins CBS’ ‘Hawaii Five-0′ As New Regular

Steve McGarrett’s love life is looking up. Michelle Borth, who appeared in five episodes of Hawaii Five-0‘s first two seasons as McGarrett’s squeeze, will join the CBS procedural as a regular when it returns for a third season in the fall. She will reprise her role as McGarrett’s girlfriend, Lt. Catherine Rollins. Borth, repped by CAA, New Wave Entertainment and Marcy Morris, first guest starred in the fourth episode of Hawaii Five-0‘s first season and was most recently seen in an episode last month. She previously starred on ABC’s The Forgotten and Canadian-produced Combat Hospital. Borth is the second recurring guest star to be upped to regular on Hawaii Five-0 following last year’s promotion of Masi Oka. She joins Grace Park as the second female regular cast member on the show.

I just thought Michelle Borth looked familiar. Oh yeah, it's "tell me you love me" where she had an awesome performance  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2014 at 09:56 AM »
'80s Flashback: Melanie Griffith and Daryl Hannah appeared on this week's episode:

:o

Honestly, they were cute/hot in the 80s.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2014 at 02:26 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2014 at 11:57 AM »
'80s Flashback: Melanie Griffith and Daryl Hannah appeared on this week's episode:

:o

Honestly, they were cute/hot in the 80s.

Another recent episode had Rebecca DeMornay...what's with H50 that draws these Hollywood cougars to prowl in the Honolulu sun?
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2014 at 02:26 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2014 at 12:29 PM »
Daryl looks like a she-male.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2014 at 02:27 PM by Mr. Hankey »