Author Topic: Need Advice: DVI Connection  (Read 2067 times)

Offline yaripon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Advice: DVI Connection
« on: Aug 26, 2008 at 01:45 PM »
Hello people! I've just signed up and you don't know how glad I am that I've finally found a place where I'm sure all my LCD and HD questions will be answered!  ;D Hanggang ngayon medyo clueless pa rin ako sa capabilities ng LCD TV.

Anyway, I hope somebody can answer a few of my questions:

1)I bought a Philips 26" LCD TV. It's HD ready with a DVI input. I'm planning to buy a new DVD player since my old one is already conking out. Now, I'm aware most LCD TVs and DVD players for LCD TVs have HDMI connection. However mine is only DVI.

From what I understand, DVI is a lesser form of HDMI minus the audio, but I was told the video upscale is the same. Tama ba? Are there still DVD players with DVI output?

2) A salesman from an appliance center once suggested that I can buy a DVD player with an HDMI output, then magpasadya nalang daw ako ng cable na may HDMI on one end, and DVI on the other end. Medyo may kamahalan nga daw. Okay bang gawin to?

3) Instead of buying a DVD player, I'm planning to buy a PS3 nalang, atleast may BluRay player narin ako. For PS3 users, how do I connect this to my TV with DVI input lang?

4) Any suggestions on how to maximize the capability of my TV?

Thanks! Hope you guys can help me.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2008 at 01:57 PM by yaripon »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Need Advice: DVI Connection
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 07:44 PM »
yup meron HDMI-DVI cable, this is what most PS3 users are using when connecting to an LCD monitor

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 08:18 PM »
Regarding your questions about dvi and hdmi , you can check these links sir.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=79773.0

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=76918.0

Offline yaripon

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
i guess the salesman i talked to didn't know what he was talking about. i asked him if it's possible that i connect an hdmi capable dvd to an LCD TV with a dvi input using an hdmi-dvi cable. kung ano-ano pinagsasabi niya. sinasabi niya pang PC lang daw yun, but i already told him my tv has a dvi input.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 11:22 AM »
Sir you can just buy a regular HDMI cable AND a HDMI-DVI adaptor :) mas mahal kasi yung HDMI-DVI cable  :(

Offline yaripon

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 08:25 AM »
thanks to those who replied.

i just have a follow up question. my tv has the following modes: tv, av1,av2,cvi,pc, and dvi.

so let's say i have connected my dvd player via my hdmi-dvi cable sa dvi slot ng tv ko. so, punta ako sa dvi mode ng tv ko. but i want to use the audio from my tv. what will happen to my audio? do i just use the normal rca/component cable and connect it sa audio slot ng av ko? how will that work? if i will watch my dvd sa dvi mode, and the audio is nakakabit sa av/cvi slot ko which is on a different mode, mababasa ba ng tv ko yun simultaneously? or do i have to have a separate audio system for this?

thanks!
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2008 at 08:29 AM by yaripon »

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
If you're using dvi/hdmi-dvi then yes you need to use component cable. Connect the cable to your dvd player and the other end on your tv.

Offline yaripon

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 09:54 AM »
If you're using dvi/hdmi-dvi then yes you need to use component cable. Connect the cable to your dvd player and the other end on your tv.

i see...baka kasi hindi gumana if i still use the audio from my tv since split na yung audio sa video ko.

basta kahit nasa dvi "channel" ako ng tv ko and if I connect my audio sa component/rca slots ng tv ko (na nasa ibang "channel"), it will just work fine? or is it better for me to get another audio output like speakers?