Author Topic: Going High Def....  (Read 13570 times)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Going High Def....
« Reply #30 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 10:33 PM »
seen it sa last shoot out, and the oppo is the better upscaler. and ang hirap sa ps3, you an only upscale the dvd of the region you bought it from , while the oppo is region free. yun lang nga spend more to get best of both worlds.

Thanks for the info.  ;)

@ stickfighter, why don't you join the Shoot Out Part 2 this Sept 27 at streetsmart's place. So we can settle this issue once and for all.  ;)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #31 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 11:51 PM »
Thanks for the info.  ;)

@ stickfighter, why don't you join the Shoot Out Part 2 this Sept 27 at streetsmart's place. So we can settle this issue once and for all.  ;)

I didn't know there is such a thing...? ??? Where is this going to be held? Ok lang bang maki-join? :P

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 11:59 PM »
Going hi-def?  PS3 is the way to go. It's an excellent BD player and it upscales DVD's very well. Gaming while excellent, can be considered a bonus feature.

I don't think buying a Pio DV600 is the path to hi-def at all. Just my opinion.

I know that buying a Pio is not a path to high def at all. However, considering what I have right now in terms of HT set-up, DVD collection, budget and all...getting a upscaling dvd player will do for now. ;) In fact, I am not even sure if this is what I really plan to do, as Sir Froot also recommended the Popcorn Hour. :-[

This is basically the whole point of this thread. To be able to help decide which is the best way to go, given what you basically have. There are many other options to consider. But as of now, as I type this post, I am currently leaning on getting a Pio upscaling dvd player. :)

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 09:18 PM »
If you can wait, there is a thread here selling Oppo 980 for P11k. That's a pretty good price and the upscaling capability of the Oppo is far superior to the Pioneer.

Sir Street! ;D I can't find the thread regarding the Oppo 980 for 11k...can you send me the link? :P

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 09:45 PM »
Sir Street! ;D I can't find the thread regarding the Oppo 980 for 11k...can you send me the link? :P

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=83130.msg868513;topicseen#msg868513
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 10:01 PM »
\

Bro, I'm about to have a decision on my confusion. You better hurry.... ;D

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #36 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 11:06 PM »
I know that buying a Pio is not a path to high def at all. However, considering what I have right now in terms of HT set-up, DVD collection, budget and all...getting a upscaling dvd player will do for now. ;) In fact, I am not even sure if this is what I really plan to do, as Sir Froot also recommended the Popcorn Hour. :-[

This is basically the whole point of this thread. To be able to help decide which is the best way to go, given what you basically have. There are many other options to consider. But as of now, as I type this post, I am currently leaning on getting a Pio upscaling dvd player. :)

Now I'm confused too.  If you are going hi-def and you know that the Pio isn't the path to hi-def, then why even consider buying it?

For sure we all have budget constraints and if the PS3 is priced too high for you, then at least go for a proven DVD upscaler like the Oppo 980 - not real high def as Mouldingo said but malapit na.

The Popcorn Hour sounds interesting and I might even get one soon considering I have broadband at home and I like downloading assorted videos from the web. But I don't think it's an alternative to watching your DVD collection thru a good upscaling DVD player. Rather it should complement your viewing experience with downloadable content, HD or otherwise.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck on your choice.  :) 
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2008 at 11:24 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 11:32 PM »
Now I'm confused too.  If you are going hi-def and you know that the Pio isn't the path to hi-def, then why even consider buying it?

For sure we all have budget constraints and if the PS3 is priced too high for you, then at least go for a proven DVD upscaler like the Oppo 980 - not real high def as Mouldingo said but malapit na.

The Popcorn Hour sounds interesting and I might even get one soon considering I have broadband at home and I like downloading assorted videos from the web. But I don't think it's an alternative to watching your DVD collection thru a good upscaling DVD player. Rather it should complement your viewing experience with downloadable content, HD or otherwise.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck on your choice.  :) 

Hi Sir Lithium! ;D

Ang gulo ko diba? :P hahahaha :D Anyway, now I'm leaning towards the Oppo upscaling dvd player. Apparently, there some issues regarding the Pio 610 that worries me. So, I am down to two options:
The Oppo upscaling dvd player or the Popcorn Hour. Thanks for your opinions on the matter. ;)

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 11:55 PM »
\

Bro, I'm about to have a decision on my confusion. You better hurry.... ;D

Buti ka pa...may linaw na. Sir Froot, I have a question for you...if I asked my brother to buy me an Oppo 980 from the US, will he be able to hand carry that with him on the plane...or is this not allowed by the airport authorities? ???

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 11:56 PM »
Hi Sir Lithium! ;D

Ang gulo ko diba? :P hahahaha :D Anyway, now I'm leaning towards the Oppo upscaling dvd player. Apparently, there some issues regarding the Pio 610 that worries me. So, I am down to two options:
The Oppo upscaling dvd player or the Popcorn Hour. Thanks for your opinions on the matter. ;)

popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 12:01 AM »
Buti ka pa...may linaw na. Sir Froot, I have a question for you...if I asked my brother to buy me an Oppo 980 from the US, will he be able to hand carry that with him on the plane...or is this not allowed by the airport authorities? ???

Yes he can but without the box, (pa-fold mo na lang) and yes it is allowed.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 01:31 AM »
popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yesser! ;D Highly considering this unit as well!!!! ;D

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 01:32 AM »
Yes he can but without the box, (pa-fold mo na lang) and yes it is allowed.

Thanks Froot! ;D I'll let my brother know. ;)

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 02:52 AM »
Mga braders, I came across this machine when surfing around...check it out! It's very interesting!

Link: http://www.egreat.nl
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2008 at 03:12 AM by stickfighter »

Offline penguin230

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 06:15 AM »
i have the egreat, it also an nmt, pretty much same with the popcorn :)
major diff with the a-100 is that it has usb-slave capability :)

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 06:40 AM »
i have the egreat, it also an nmt, pretty much same with the popcorn :)
major diff with the a-100 is that it has usb-slave capability :)

Pardon my innocence Sir Penguin...but what do you mean by usb-slave? :P

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 07:14 AM »
Pardon my innocence Sir Penguin...but what do you mean by usb-slave? :P

this nmt players once you buy it you can install internal hard disc into it. with the popcorn a-100, the only way you can transfer files into the internal hdd is through streaming (wired network) but with the usb slave function you can just connect it through usb and transfer files, of course this is way faster. that's why i use an external hdd so i transfer the files to the external through usb then connect the external to the popcorn.

btw, the egreat and a-110 has usb slave function which the first gen a-100 does not have.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 08:13 AM »
Hello Stickfighter.

Which is more important to you right now?

"Going high def" in order to watch your current collection of DVDs? (this sounds quite ironic to me) or,

"Going high def" in order to watch high def movies/contents you haven't watched before

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2008 at 08:14 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #49 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 10:57 AM »
Thanks for the info.  ;)

Froot Hindi lang better upscaler but IMHO napaka ganda pang cd player  yung oppo ;) nabuhay ulit yung system ko. Buy ka oppo 983 and mkv player para makontento ka na ;D wag ka na punta sa shoot out kasi baka madagdagan pa yung gusto mo like video processor,amps,new projector,bigger space etc etc etc ;D ;D ;D Grabe yung system ni Sir mark manginggit eh ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2008 at 11:31 AM by ricky »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 11:07 AM »
;D ;D ;D Grabe yung system ni Sir mark manginggit eh ;)

totoong totoo ito!  :o :o :o

Offline sanmig_ph

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #51 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM »
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM »
Froot Hindi lang better upscaler but IMHO napaka ganda pang cd player  yung oppo ;) nabuhay ulit yung system ko. Buy ka oppo 983 and mkv player para makontento ka na ;D wag ka na punta sa shoot out kasi baka madagdagan pa yung gusto mo like video processor,amps,new projector,bigger space etc etc etc ;D ;D ;D Grabe yung system ni Sir mark manginggit eh ;)

Nag PM nga ako kay sir Mark kung pwede raw feed at hindi gamitin yung VPO, at malamang tama ka, pag kinabit yung processor, bukas makalawa, may bago nanaman akong POLL.  ;D

Sama ka na, baka daw pumunta si vic12.  :o

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 12:31 PM »

Sama ka na, baka daw pumunta si vic12.  :o

baka dumagsa yung tao sa eb!  :o :o :o

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 07:15 PM »
baka dumagsa yung tao sa eb!  :o :o :o

ROFL!!  :D

OT:

Siya daw ang i-blind test then hulaan nya kung sino sa atin ang pinaka-malakas kumurot!  ;D

BTT:

stickfighter, PS3 at PCH na lang kaya?  ::)  ;D

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 09:42 PM »
Hello Stickfighter.

Which is more important to you right now?

"Going high def" in order to watch your current collection of DVDs? (this sounds quite ironic to me) or,

"Going high def" in order to watch high def movies/contents you haven't watched before

@ Clondalkin ;D

This is the thing...I bought an LCD last Nov. 2007. Ever since I bought it, I have never experienced watching a film in high def or what an upscaled movie looks like at the very least. :( I have not experienced the full capabilities of my LCD. And now that I plan to invest on a machine, I just want to make sure that I am headed in the right direction, so to speak. :)

To answer your question, both are important to me. :-\ You see...I have my current and exsisting dvd collection, made up of my favorite films, which I cannot give-up just like that as it took me years to collate all of them. ;D But then, I also want to experience what it is to view films in high def format. :P

Given the scenario, I am leaning towards the Oppo 980 for my dvd collection viewing and the PCH for my high def films! ;)

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 09:48 PM »
BTT:

stickfighter, PS3 at PCH na lang kaya?  ::)  ;D

Brader...yung PCH pa pwede. Im' really considering this, pero yung PS3 is something that I will really have to contemplate on. Medyo mahal sya and I am not really someone whom you can label as a "gamer." I have an Xbox and the only games I play are soccer games. :P So, if I were made to choose between a PS3 and a Blu-ray player, I'll just go Blu...pero brader, matagal-tagal pa yun! ::)
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2008 at 09:49 PM by stickfighter »

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 10:29 PM »
If your priority is the dvds just get the oppo first, at least you would get better video quality once you get a bigger screen. How about inviting a fellow forum member who owns the pch and test it with your system? at least you can get an idea of how hd videos compare to dvds.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM »
If your priority is the dvds just get the oppo first, at least you would get better video quality once you get a bigger screen. How about inviting a fellow forum member who owns the pch and test it with your system? at least you can get an idea of how hd videos compare to dvds.

A good idea John, thank you! ;) But I feel that I will be able to confirm my decision in the "shoot out." ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 11:08 PM »
Yep, yung nga lang baka mapagastos lalo hehe ;D