Author Topic: Which Way To Go?  (Read 27768 times)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
Re: Which Way To Go?
« Reply #120 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 02:49 AM »
btw how much does NMT's costs?
i can only recommend getting these if its around 8k or something ... but definitely not over 13k .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 08:41 AM »
Buti na lang!..... ;D  Since my desktop is scheduled for an upgrade, then I might just settle for an HTPC.

Hi Frootloops.  With an HTPC, how do you plan to watch?  Through the PC monitor only?

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #122 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:05 AM »
Hi Frootloops.  With an HTPC, how do you plan to watch?  Through the PC monitor only?

Yes, and also through my 42" plasma at my bedroom. Next na siguro for my projector, when the day comes that I upgrade.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:47 AM »
Yes, and also through my 42" plasma at my bedroom. Next na siguro for my projector, when the day comes that I upgrade.

Eh meron ka naman palang 42 plasma Bro hindi mo agad sinasabi   ;D ;D ;D 

Baka mas madali interface with NMT instead of HTPC in your case?   I'm connecting my HTPC to the HDTVs using either DVI or the special HDTV out (with component video dongle) of my ATI 4850 card.  Havent tried the ATI supplied DVI/HDMI adapter pero I think pareho lang.  HTPC loyalist here!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #124 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 11:17 AM »
HTPC
my reasons:
1. you can buy a bluray ROM for 6k (or less) / combo drive (hddvd/bluray is under 10k)
2. with the right motherboard or video card you can output 1080p through HDMI
3. you can easily run HD files and SD files without any hiccup, given that you know how to use it .. ;D
4. you can easily play HD downloads (.mkv)
5. upgradeable ..

and ofcourse, me being familiar with the hardware .. its easy for me to tinker with it .. :)

very true. tapos may computer ka pa. sir ninja, mga how much will it cost to do all those things above. tia!

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 12:58 PM »
Eh meron ka naman palang 42 plasma Bro hindi mo agad sinasabi   ;D ;D ;D 

I'm not too much counting on it, kasi kay misis at mga bata lang di nako makasingit. Pero since maraming series, (Gossip Girls?) malamang magamit ko na.  ;D 

Baka mas madali interface with NMT instead of HTPC in your case?   I'm connecting my HTPC to the HDTVs using either DVI or the special HDTV out (with component video dongle) of my ATI 4850 card.  Havent tried the ATI supplied DVI/HDMI adapter pero I think pareho lang.  HTPC loyalist here!

I will just hit two birds with one stone. Since nasa bedroom din naman yung PC, eh dun na lang. Eh mukhang wala ng pag-asa sa HT room ko yan. I dont think I can maximize the use of an NMT if purely for playback only, sayang di ba? Who knows, I might become one of the loyalists just like you.  ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 02:35 PM »
I will just hit two birds with one stone. Since nasa bedroom din naman yung PC, eh dun na lang. Eh mukhang wala ng pag-asa sa HT room ko yan. I dont think I can maximize the use of an NMT if purely for playback only, sayang di ba? Who knows, I might become one of the loyalists just like you.  ;)

Good plan I should say. 

Ganun din feeling ko about NMTs because I've been doing a lot of personal computing since 1985, that my life is so attached to a PC.  The PC can do everything an NMT can plus a lot more functions and tools that I cant live without.  Besides, when you take mkv seriously, fast and reliable content acquisition is just as important as playback.

Pero if you really just want to experience high def, I would say the prevailing prices of NMTs are quite fair for what they're capable of doing.  You need a powerful PC for "nearly" trouble free handling of mkvs (1080p encodes are still headaches).  I dont know how much a capable PC would cost in Manila, but here in Tokyo, I certainly won't be able to buy a 14K-peso PC that can smoothly play 720p mkvs.  So that 16K package that includes 500GB or the 20K package with 1TB are good buys in my opinion.  Medyo borderline level nga lang ang 20K pesoss because at that price, I can have a 720p mkv capable PC already

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 02:41 PM »
Good plan I should say. 

Thank you. ;)

20K pesos because at that price, I can have a 720p mkv capable PC already

I can live with the 720p. And at 20k...pogi na pogi na yang PC mo dito.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #128 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 03:29 PM »
Sir froot tanong ko lang kung you are planning for an upgrade or you want a bnew setup? Sorry hindi ko na binasa yung ibang replies dito kaya hindi ko alam. Kung upgrade lang sakto na ang 20k kung bnew mga 25k-35k kasama na yung mga pogi points dito.  :)

Edit:
Buti na lang!..... ;D  Since my desktop is scheduled for an upgrade, then I might just settle for an HTPC.

Upgrade pala.  ;D Why not build a bnew pc na lang worth 30k kasi malamang ang matitira lang talaga sa inyo yung case, at psu (baka nga palitan nyo na rin 'to). I would still prefer dvd drive instead of blu-ray dami pa ako nababasa na problems about blu-ray drives. For now MKV happy ka na. I would say na mag-invest kayo processor tapos mobo to future proof your htpc and then RAM. Video card...is an option but I would recommend na mid-range na kunin nyo na mga 5k-8k. Siguro future upgrade nyo na lang yung sound card.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2008 at 08:29 PM by dyerds »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 04:40 PM »
I've got a pretty good amount of stuff in my hard drives that completely made me ignore/forget BD.  If I have to make a list of things to buy for my PC, a BD drive would be at the bottom of the list.  Hard drives and DVD-Rs are tops at the moment.

I still love my HD DVD add on drive though.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2008 at 04:41 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 05:55 PM »
@dyerds, I will actually build a new one. Right, no BD tray in my plan. Kasi yung 500gb HDD I got (from Clondalkin) eh happy na ako. Victoria Secret Fashion Show, HOT!! and the other Discovery Specials, that alone might take me months to finish.   ;) not to mention the movies.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #131 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 06:19 PM »
I've got a pretty good amount of stuff in my hard drives that completely made me ignore/forget BD.  If I have to make a list of things to buy for my PC, a BD drive would be at the bottom of the list.  Hard drives and DVD-Rs are tops at the moment.

I still love my HD DVD add on drive though.

Bro, what's the best 1080p / 720p encoder that I can use on an Acer X3200 (AMD X2 powered) ?

Also, look forward to your next visit in December? Need my next 1TB media and content fix, bro... :-)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 07:32 PM »
Bro, what's the best 1080p / 720p encoder that I can use on an Acer X3200 (AMD X2 powered) ?

Also, look forward to your next visit in December? Need my next 1TB media and content fix, bro... :-)

Hi Tony.  Can you please clarify.  Do you intend to do the encoding yourself of original BDs and HD DVDs?   Life is so much easier and happier if you'd just DL the readily encoded stuff from sites like HD bits.ro.  Or do you mean the software decoder/player?

Yeah, looking forward to seeing you again come Dec 2008 Bro.  Nahihilo ako sa dami ng bagong contents recently.   ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 09:17 PM »
Thank you. ;)
I can live with the 720p. And at 20k...pogi na pogi na yang PC mo dito.

make that 1080p .. ;)

very true. tapos may computer ka pa. sir ninja, mga how much will it cost to do all those things above. tia!
well mine was around 18k - 20k (prolly cheaper now)
make that 23k - 25k cause im gonna add a bluray rom soon .. :)
medyo nag eenjoy nako sa ps3 (initial plan for my ps3 was for bluray playback lang) .. so im planning to integrate all my HT stuff on my htpc and pure gaming for my ps3 ..
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2008 at 09:46 PM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 09:45 PM »
This is where we should go RIGHT NOW.

Go to your PC room and get Indy Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull high def.   ;D   Yeah right now (actually kahapon pa).  Enjoy!

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 09:51 PM »
@dyerds, I will actually build a new one. Right, no BD tray in my plan. Kasi yung 500gb HDD I got (from Clondalkin) eh happy na ako. Victoria Secret Fashion Show, HOT!! and the other Discovery Specials, that alone might take me months to finish.   ;) not to mention the movies.
ei are you anywhere near makati?
maybe we can schedule a meetup  :)
can i copy your discovery specials? i can return the favor when i get my 1tb ext drive back  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:15 PM »
This is where we should go RIGHT NOW.

Go to your PC room and get Indy Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull high def.   ;D   Yeah right now (actually kahapon pa).  Enjoy!

What site sir? hdbits.ro seems to be upgrading.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:17 PM »
Nahihilo ako sa dami ng bagong contents recently.   ;D

Pwede ba pa-update din nung HDD ko?  ;D

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:17 PM »
ei are you anywhere near makati?
maybe we can schedule a meetup  :)
can i copy your discovery specials? i can return the favor when i get my 1tb ext drive back  :)

Sure, will PM you when I am in the area.  ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:20 PM »
Pwede ba pa-update din nung HDD ko?  ;D

You want me to reformat it?   ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:21 PM »
I have a copy of indy as well, used rapidshare though.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:22 PM »
What site sir? hdbits.ro seems to be upgrading.

Punta ka muna sa public sites.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:23 PM »
Sir froot tanong ko lang kung you are planning for an upgrade or you want a bnew setup? Sorry hindi ko na binasa yung ibang replies dito kaya hindi ko alam. Kung upgrade lang sakto na ang 20k kung bnew mga 25k-35k kasama na yung mga pogi points dito.  :)
Edit:
Upgrade pala.  ;D Why not build a bnew pc na lang worth 30k kasi malamang ang matitira lang talaga sa inyo yung case, at psu (baka nga palitan nyo na rin 'to). I would still prefer dvd drive instead of blu-ray dami pa ako nababasa na problems about blu-ray drives. For now MKV happy ka na. I would say na mag-invest kayo processor tapos mobo to future proof your htpc and then RAM. Video card...is an option but I would recommend na mid-range na kunin nyo na mga 5k-8k. Siguro future upgrade nyo na lang yung sound card.
id invest on the ram and OS .. (im a cheap b@st@rd been using 30 day trial version of vista ultimate .. reformat every 3 weeks ;D )
if youre into gaming then i suggest that you add another 10k - 15k for your videocard .. dont settle for a sub 10k video card if youre into gaming .. ;)
bluray roms per se doesnt have any issues ... its the software that drives them (the bundled software that is).. yun mga paid version nung software magaganda :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:31 PM »
I would invest with the ram and a fast processor, if you won't do any gaming you can do with a motherboard with built in video, especially the new ones with hdmi.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
You want me to reformat it?   ;D

Nyay! I haven't watch a fraction of it.  ;D  December pa naman, baka by then I'm done with all of it. SURE!  ;D

I would invest with the ram and a fast processor, if you won't do any gaming you can do with a motherboard with built in video, especially the new ones with hdmi.

Correct. No heavy gaming for me. I just play with my daughter's DS lite.  ;D

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #145 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:37 PM »
Hi Tony.  Can you please clarify.  Do you intend to do the encoding yourself of original BDs and HD DVDs?   Life is so much easier and happier if you'd just DL the readily encoded stuff from sites like HD bits.ro.  Or do you mean the software decoder/player?

Yeah, looking forward to seeing you again come Dec 2008 Bro.  Nahihilo ako sa dami ng bagong contents recently.   ;D

Bro, pm me ha in advance... I need to add to my TB drives addiction, which you influenced greatly... :-) bwahahaha...

Yep, I meant encoding. I have a bunch of BD and HD-DVD titles and my kids want them ala jukebox style in either the EGreat, NOvatron or the Acer X3200 unit that I got which also has a built-in HDMI.

For PC player, right now I am just using KMPlayer. I wanted to reconfigure it with Windows Media Center though it only comes with licensed Vista Home for now...
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:40 PM by jackryan »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:40 PM »
yuff x2 4200+ is the sweet spot for smooth HD playback (bluray movies and mkv movies), im using x2 4600+ just to be sure .. :)
but ram is a big factor also .. 2gb for 32bit OS .. :)

Nyay! I haven't watch a fraction of it.  ;D  December pa naman, baka by then I'm done with all of it. SURE!  ;D
Correct. No heavy gaming for me. I just play with my daughter's DS lite.  ;D
get a 1tb drive and a dvdwriter cause youre in for a treat (darn western digital distro, 2 weeks na wala pa yun rma ko  :(  )
ninjababez online ..

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:45 PM »
Bro, pm me ha in advance... I need to add to my TB drives addiction, which you influenced greatly... :-) bwahahaha...
Yep, I meant encoding. I have a bunch of BD and HD-DVD titles and my kids want them ala jukebox style in either the EGreat, NOvatron or the Acer X3200 unit that I got which also has a built-in HDMI.
For PC player, right now I am just using KMPlayer. I wanted to reconfigure it with Windows Media Center though it only comes with licensed Vista Home for now...
i like the km player .. its like having the PQ of windows media center and the extra controls of the classic media player .. :)
add avc codec and youre good to go .. :)
btw your acer laptop, did it come with a bluray rom? my friend got an hp laptop from ebay for 50k, with bluray rom and hdmi out ... kailan kaya magiging ganun ang pricing dito satin ..  :(
ninjababez online ..

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:47 PM »
yuff x2 4200+ is the sweet spot for smooth HD playback (bluray movies and mkv movies), im using x2 4600+ just to be sure .. :)
but ram is a big factor also .. 2gb for 32bit OS .. :)

Exactly, 2gb is the minimum, tried using just 1gb and i still get some stutters. Looking to try the new low power processors soon. I still prefer an htpc because of the tweaks you can do. The acer x3200 is a desktop, I like it though because its pretty small and slim and not that demanding  power wise...instant htpc:)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:50 PM »
Exactly, 2gb is the minimum, tried using just 1gb and i still get some stutters. Looking to try the new low power processors soon. I still prefer an htpc because of the tweaks you can do. The acer x3200 is a desktop, I like it though because its pretty small and slim and not that demanding  power wise...instant htpc:)
ive seen a lot of those lately (small media center pc) ... they really look good .. :)
im sure it has a builtin card reader and some add ons .. :D
ninjababez online ..