Author Topic: Have most TV series overstayed their welcome?  (Read 661 times)

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Have most TV series overstayed their welcome?
« on: Nov 04, 2008 at 01:57 AM »
I mean , many TV Series started out great.  Then in an attempt to capitalize on the name, add convoluted plot twist and side quest just to make it multiple seasons.  Lost, Prison Break, Heroes all have stellar Season 1, but all go downhill from their premier season.  Even House MD Season 5, doesn't seem to be as good as previous ones.  I feel many of these could have been better as one or two season miniseries instead of open-ended (until cancelled).  Prison Break, for one have a really suspenseful Season 1, which I finish (via DVD) in four days.  Now after plowing through S2 and 3, and watching the first episode of S4, I am having second thought whether it worth the time to get the other 7 available...

Do most of you feel the same way, or am I just in search of something new?

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 at 08:57 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Do most TV series overstayed its welcome?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 02:24 AM »
I mean , many TV Series started out great.  Then in an attempt to capitalize on the name, add convoluted plot twist and side quest just to make it multiple seasons.  Lost, Prison Break, Heroes all have stellar Season 1, but all go downhill from their premier season.  Even House MD Season 5, doesn't seem to be as good as previous ones.  I feel many of these could have been better as one or two season miniseries instead of open-ended (until cancelled).  Prison Break, for one have a really suspenseful Season 1, which I finish (via DVD) in four days.  Now after plowing through S2 and 3, and watching the first episode of S4, I am having second thought whether it worth the time to get the other 7 available...

Do most of you feel the same way, or am I just in search of something new?

Had the same feeling with the previous shows I've followed before and one great example was MELROSE PLACE. Back then, it was touted as TV's ultimate guilty pleasure of the '90's (not to mention Amanda <Heather Locklear> having the shortest skirt in TV series history). In the case of MP, the first season was so-so until the show picked up on its second season. Then my excitement fizzles with the much later seasons. Lost track of Season 7's remaining episodes and only watched the series' finale.

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 at 02:26 AM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Re: Do most TV series overstay their welcome?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 10:48 AM »
One of my greatest TV series viewing pleasures last week was watching Dead Set which was FINISHED in 5 episodes (total 3 hours) - I was actually hoping they could have stretched it 3 hours more.

I find the latest Prison Break season better than the last.  Pace is good but the theme is no longer "prison break".  Season 1 will always be the classic and they should have finished everything in Season 2.

Heroes Season 3 is totally uninteresting.  Hiro is no longer adorable.  Tired of too many characters with super human powers and the story is not going anywhere.   I've had the latest episode for a week now and haven't had the interest to touch it.

House MD, I feel, has picked up somehow since the return of Wilson.   Last season's 2-hour finale was a tough act to follow.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles is still OK but hopefully, they can still develop the storyline better.

Thank god for the likes of CSI, Dexter, Mad Men and Californication.

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 at 10:54 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Do most TV series overstay their welcome?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 11:24 AM »
Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles is good as long as they don't extend the series to lets say... 4 seasons. It should end with a bang with only 3 - 4 seasons . Hopefully they do get a good cult following in preparation for the upcoming movie na we all know is not based on the tv series, na it would be enough to draw new fans to the terminator franchise.

Basta dapat yung mga tv series ngayon huwag sila masyado masilaw sa tv ratings na sobrang they will be milking the franchise as long as they are earning an example of this would be yung X Files. The first few seasons was great talaga. Pero habang tumatagal eh nagulo na ang story to the point na di na siya magandang panoorin.