Author Topic: What is DTS audio cd and how you can play it back?  (Read 3156 times)

Offline demmet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is DTS audio cd and how you can play it back?
« on: Sep 24, 2008 at 09:06 PM »

What is DTS Audio CD?

The DTS-CD, DTS Audio CD or 5.1 Music Disc (official name) is an audio Compact Disc that contains music in surround sound format. It is a predecessor of DVD Audio. Physically, it conforms to the Red Book standard, except for the way the music is encoded on the CD. Where regular CDs store the music as linear PCM, the DTS-CD stores music using the DTS format, with the same fixed bitrate as 16-bit linear PCM, namely 1,411,200 bits/s or roughly 1,378 Kib/s.

As opposed to other surround formats, such as Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio, which require a specialized player, a DTS-CD is compatible with most standard CD players with a digital (S/PDIF) output. CD (and DVD) players recognize the disk as a standard audio CD. The only requirement is a receiver that can decode DTS audio.

Which is DTS audio cd resource?

The resources of DTS audio cd usually are:
1. DVD-Audio
2. SACD
3. DVD-Video with surround dts or ac3 audio
4. Stereo common source converted to 5.1 surround

How can I playback DTS audio cd?

First of all, to enjoy DTS audio cd you have to own a 5.1 surround system.
I think it is useless to downmix DTS cd on stereo speakers.
All the DTS cd titles can be easily found in stereo music formats.

Desktop Solution

You have to use a desktop DVD player connected to an 5.1 surround amplifier with DTS decoder. The dvd player sends the digital audio signal to an amplifier that decodes DTS. Nowadays almost all home cinemas have a dts decoder.

PC solution

I think that the best solution to playback dts audio or dts wav is to use the same software you use to playback movies. There is no need to install additional filters, codecs or media players.

Personally for the movie playback I am using Media Player Classic with ffdshow video and audio filters.
For the dts music playback I am using Windows Media Player with ffdshow audio filter.

1. PowerDVD or WinDVD can playback DTS audio CD (only Ultra or Deluxe Editions). You can set up the number of speakers through PowerDVD or WinDVD configuration menu.

2. Any other media player (Media player classic, Windows Media player, etc) that uses directshow filters can playback dts audio cd or dts wav using AC3filter or ffdshow audio. Both are very well known filters.

2a First you have to configure ffdshow audio to be ready for dts :

When you open ffdshow audio configuration follow the steps:
1. On the "codecs" menu select "dts"
2. Change the "decoder" from "disabled" to "libdts"
3. Check the box at the bottom "Check for DTS in WAV"
4. Again on the "codecs" menu select "Uncompressed" and change the "decoder" from "disabled" to "all supported"

If you want to export the dts signal through spdif to a dts decoder on the "codecs" menu select "dts" and then "spdif" decoder

2b For AC3filter there is an official guide

Code: [Select]
http://ac3filter.net/guides/how_to_playback_multi_channel_ac3_dts_audiocd

3. I haven't figure it out how Winamp can playback DTS audio CD. Although it can playback dts-wav files with this plugin:

Code: [Select]
http://rapidshare.com/files/104244353/in_dts.zip

4. VLC player has its own plugin that can play dts-wav files. But they must have dts extension. You have to rename the dts-wav files from *.wav to *.dts.

Caution: If you can't get a digital signal to a DTS decoder you will get noise, which may damage your speaker if it is too loud. So at first play it back at low volume.

How can I rip DTS audio CD?

You can rip DTS audio CD to dts-wav using any known CD ripper. You just extract cd to wav. The created wav files are dts-wav.

How can I encode DTS audio cd?

You can encode DTS audio cd using a software like Surcode DTS Pro Encoder. You have to load wav files to each seperate channel of a total of six channels. Then Surcode DTS pro Encoder encodes the six mono wav files to a multichannel wav file (dts-wav).

How can I burn dts-wav files to a DTS audio cd ?

You can burn dts-wav files easily with a burning software like Nero, as an audio cd. The extension of the audio files must be *.wav.
If the extension is *.dts you have to rename the files to *.wav.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2008 at 09:09 PM by demmet »