Author Topic: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?  (Read 198628 times)

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re:ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 22, 2002 at 01:19 AM »

This might be slightly OT but to respond to your query:

TV ratings are just like surveys conducted. The ratings company like PSRC (at least during my earlier stint in a tv company, that is what they call their company - Phil Survey & Ratings Co, i think)

As in surveys, PSRC calls up a random sample number of households for a given hour (say 300 households) and ask if their TV is open and what channel they are asking. My understanding was 300 is a representative of the whole televiewing universe. They gather the results and get the percentages. Thats how they used to do it 15 years ago. I would presume that with advances in communications and electronics, this process has been automated already.

This is what they do from early morning until the last show (i think?). The results are not released publicly since this is where they get their income. TV Networks and advertising agencies subscribe to these survey companies to get periodic reports of the survey results. It is up to the networks to release the data to the public (para iyabang just like what ABS does) while the ad agencies use the data to determine which shows they should put their ad money into.

Now, are the results reliable? Well, the appropriate question should be is it credible? If the ad agencies believe them, then it could be credible. AFAIK, TV networks maintain their own survey groups to validate the results they get from the survey companies.

Now back to regular programming  ;D

Until now ganito pa rin ba ginagawa nila?  Akala ko matagal nang pinalitan ang system na 'to and they now have the technology to gauge the ratings at any given point in time.

Offline Sen.Almondski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Dec 22, 2002 at 05:39 PM »
This system never gave a flawless survey result  :P
It means all TV surveys are flawed ! ???

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Dec 23, 2002 at 01:05 PM »
According to a friend in the advertising industry, survey companies now uses a gadget they install in a survey home.  Their request to the viewers in the home is that whenever they watch television, they input their individual viewer ID into the gadget. Presumable, the gadget is connected to the television to determine the channel it is tuned to at that particular time. If there are 3 viewers, all three inputs their individual codes. This is how the surveyors gather the demographics of TV viewing, something advertisers will pay an arm and a leg for!

The viewing data stored in the gadget is periodically sent back to the survey HQs via a cellphone call. That is, the gadget periodically calls into the HQ using a pre programmed cell number and uploads the info. That way, the survey companies can gather real time data which can be made available to the networks practically the following day.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2002 at 10:31 PM by viper »

kainanna

« Reply #63 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 03:12 PM »
maganda daw ang soap opera sa GMA sabi sa probinsiya namin.  kaya lang hindi ko ma-compare.  ABS-CBN lang kasi mayroon dito.  Maganda iyong Kay  tagal kitang hinintay.  Ang galing ng writer at director.  Magaling din stars nila.  Mga bago, hindi malalaking artista pero may K.  
My favorites, KAren DAvila and Kris Aquino and Ces Drilon.  
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 08:06 PM »
GMA definitely...

The combined efforts of ABS-CBN's public affairs programs cannot match the credibility and talent of Jessica Soho. She's got the Peabody Award (equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize for Journalism).

For me GMA is the best. Its got the most intelligent and socially relevant political soap Kung Mawawala Ka. Eat Bulaga is unbeatable. Saksi just won a gold medal at the New York TV awards. The most credible public affairs shows are here: The Probe Team, I-Witness, Debate. The best sunday variety show featuring the best in the music industry today: Regine V., Ogie A., Lani M., Jaya....
The more sunny and wholesome morning show Unang Hirit...The only funny sitcom on Philippine TV Kool Ka Lang....The long-running gag show Bubble Gang.... The most biting and original showbiz magazine show Startalk...

My only problem is why are all talk shows calling themselves as such when all they feature are showbiz materials...

The only saving glory for ABS-CBN is the Mexican telenovela Daniella...Hot Hot Hot Daniella!!!

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 09:25 PM »
GMA definitely...

The combined efforts of ABS-CBN's public affairs programs cannot match the credibility and talent of Jessica Soho. She's got the Peabody Award (equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize for Journalism).

Kaya forever single na si Ms Soho because she's married to her profession.

The only saving glory for ABS-CBN is the Mexican telenovela Daniella...Hot Hot Hot Daniella!!!

Kay Paloma pa rin ako ;D

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 10:34 PM »
neither both channels suck.

who the hell wants to watch telenovelas and variety shows anyway. both channels are just gay man.

thank god for solar sports, espn and starsports. i think that is why i got into dvds, when the sports seasons are over i have nothing else to watch

Offline Sen.Almondski

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Apr 10, 2003 at 12:24 AM »

ABS-CBN TFC sucks most OFW's in KSA, subscription is too much but only offer a recycle/ replay shows like Mula Sa Puso etc ( i dont have TFC, ive seen it in my friend's home), the TFC management said it was requested and due to public demand, hehe my a**, they should tell it to the marines!  >:(

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2003 at 12:41 AM by Gen.Almondski »

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Apr 10, 2003 at 03:20 AM »

ABS-CBN TFC sucks most OFW's in KSA, subscription is too much but only offer a recycle/ replay shows like Mula Sa Puso etc ( i dont have TFC, ive seen it in my friend's home), the TFC management said it was requested and due to public demand, hehe my a**, they should tell it to the marines!  >:(

Napansin ko nga paulit ulit na lang at mga luma pa... me drama series sila na ongoing sa TFC naroon pa si Rico Yan at bata pa.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Apr 10, 2003 at 03:16 PM »
Just wan't to post this for your reaction.  This survey came out from Philippine Star.

After this survey came out nagalit na si Mr Mike Enriquez and GMA accused SkyCable of sabotage kaya daw bumagsak ratings nila.  :)

TV ratings: Where they stand
Reader Dennis Casapao is asking about the results of the recent AGV Metro Manila Household Ratings (between Feb. 28 and March 1). Your luck, Dennis. Funfare’s VIDPA (Very Important Deep Penetration Agent) has just handed (surreptitiously, I assure you!) me the report, marked "Private and confidential."

Here are the conclusions:

• Overall audience share shows that ABS-CBN leads with 43 percent of the audience with GMA at 29 percent and Channel 13 at 5 percent. Interesting to note is that Cable Television already has 16 percent of the audience share.

• In primetime, which is the most important block in television, ABS-CBN has a 44 percent audience share while GMA has 26 percent and Channel 13 has 8 percent.

• The top 10 once a week programs all belong to ABS-CBN. ABS also has 14 of the top 20 programs while GMA has 5 and IBC has 1 show in the top 20.

• Among the battle of the soap opera’s ABS-CBN’s Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay, Bituin and Sa Dulo Ng Walang Hanggan have more than double the audience of GMA’s Sana Ay Ikaw Na Nga, Ang Iibigin Ay Ikaw and Habang Kapiling Ka.

• ABS CBN’s TV Patrol also has more than double the audience than GMA’s Frontpage, while GMA’s Saksi is almost equal to ABS-CBN Headlines.

Here’s the overall ratings (6 a.m. to 12 midnight):

Top Once-A-Week Evening Programs
[td]Rank Channel            
1 ABS-CBN                        
2 GMA 7                          
3 Cable                              
4 IBC 13                                
5 Studio23                          
6-7 ABC 5                              
6-7 RPN 9                              
8 PTV 4                                
9 MTV Phils
[/td]
[td]Ratings
 [/td]
[td] Audience Share
[/td]
[/table]

Top Once-A-Week Evening Programs

Channel              Show              Rating
1         ABS-CBN    Maalaala Mo Kaya (Chocolate Ice Cream)   -   27.6
2         ABS-CBN   OK Fine Whatever!   -   25.6  
3         ABS-CBN   Magandang Gabi Bayan (Pera ng Pulis?)   -   23.8  
4         ABS-CBN   Wansapanataym (Gayuma)   -   23.2  
5         ABS-CBN  Alias (TV-Series)   -   21.7  
6         ABS-CBN  Star Cinema Presents (Eto Na Naman Ako)   -   20.1
7         ABS-CBN  Whatta men   -   19.7  
8         ABS-CBN  Sharon   -   19.0
9         ABS-CBN  Mission: X Early Edition (Bad Trip To Amerika)   -   18.9
10-11  ABS-CBN   Home Along Da Riles   -   18.8  
10-11 GMA          Bubble Gang   -   18.8
12      ABS-CBN  Arriba! Arriba! (Tahan Marvin Tahan) 18.1
13-14 ABS-CBN  Klasmeyts   -   17.4
13-14 GMA        Magpakailanman (Kakaibang Mukha Ng Pag-ibig)   -   17.4
15      ABS-CBN  Night Visions (My so-called Life and Death)   -   16.0
16      GMA        Kakabakaba? (Cellphone Kong Katakot!!!)   -   15.5  
17      GMA        Idol Ko Si Kap Todo Na To!   -   15.3  
18      IBC         Star For A Night   -   15.1  
19-21 ABS-CBN  Bida Si Mister Bida Si Misis   -   14.9
19-21 GMA        K! The P1,000,000.00 Videoke Challenge   -   14.9
19-21 GMA        Beh Bote Nga   -   14.9
22      GMA        Blockbuster Cinema (Megamol)   -   14.4
23      ABS-CBN  Willingly Yours (Haliging Musmos)   -   14.3  
24      GMA        imbestigador (Bahay Sa Laguna ...)   -   14.2
25      ABS-CBN  Sunday Family Cinema (Ronan Keating show)   -   14.1
26      ABS-CBN  Gus Abelgas Nag-uulat (Street Crime)   -   13.9  
27      GMA        Daddy Di Do Du   -   13.3  
28-29 ABS-CBN  FPJ Action Cinema (Ang Probinsyano)   -    12.4
28-29 GMA        Kool Ka Lang (A Knights To Remember)   -     12.4
30-31 GMA        Dragon Ball GT (Ani)   -   12.0  
30-31 GMA        Partners Mel & jay (Mga Taga-Showbiz)   -    12.0  
32-33 GMA        Jessica Soho Reports (Palpak Si Parak)   -    11.3  
32-33 GMA        Daboy en Da Girl   -   11.3  
34      GMA        Sunday Night Box-Office (You’ve Got Mail)   -   10.5
35      GMA        The Probe Team (Usapang For Adults only)   -   10.0
36      ABS-CBN   Mission X: Producer’s Cut (Brgy. Prosti)   -    9.9  

Top Multi-Weekly Evening Programs  

Rank               Channel         Show Rating
1  ABS-CBN   Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay (TV-Series)    -   39.2  
2  ABS-CBN   Bituin    -   37.1
3  ABS-CBN   Sa Dulo Ng Walang Hanggan    -   36.9
4  ABS-CBN   Game KNB?    -   30.5
5  ABS-CBN   TV Patrol    -    24.5
6  GMA        Sana Ay Ikaw Na Nga    -   16.1
7  GMA        Ang Iibigin Ay Ikaw    -   15.8
8  GMA        Kung Mawawala Ka    -    15.7  
9  GMA        Habang Kapiling Ka    -   15.0
10 GMA        Frontpage Ulat Ni Mel Tiangco    -   13.6
11 ABS-CBN   Etc.    -   12.4  
12 GMA        Extra! Extra!    -   10.8
13 GMA        Saksi    -   10.5
14 ABS-CBN   ABS-CBN headlines    -   10.2

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Apr 10, 2003 at 08:33 PM »
I think the ratings for the soap block could be credible but for ABS-CBN to dominate the for most of the shows is plainly bogus.

But I must concede that with the wide reach of ABS-CBN it should naturally capture majority of the audience nationwide.

Nevertheless, ratings should never translate to the quality of these shows.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 10:30 AM »
I think the ratings for the soap block could be credible but for ABS-CBN to dominate the for most of the shows is plainly bogus.

Well, the "report" says it's from AGV. Akala ko nag merge na ang AGB at SGV.  ;D

Offline Ek-ek

• Collector
  • Philatelist,Numismatist,Toy collector etc...
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 11:19 AM »
 :)Kung sa ratings at revenue ABS-CBN tops the score Most of ABS CBN teledramas ay pinanonood ng mga taga-sa amin kung mag lalakad ka sa gabi karamihan ay naka tune-in sa mga telenovela ng Dos.Dominate na man ng GMA  ang noontime shows at mga late night t.v. shows like Debate.Kung sa labas ng bansa maraming awards ang GMA .Kung sa reporting parehong may credibility at minsan may bias din ang dalawang istasyon!Kung tinitingnan ninyo ang mga reporting,kung may kapunapuna ang isang istasyon they give more time in airing .Like sa showbiz karamihan ng mga blind items ng Unang hirit ay sa mga kabilang istasyon! the same with Ogie Diaz.Sa mga reporting ganun din. Sa Mel and Jay show na man may mga ilang episodes na may mga nag-rereklamo umano dahil mali ang mga research na nangyari noong August 2000 episode nila regarding sa mga failed marriages kasi yung ilang guess nila doon ay questionable ang mga background! As for the other shows parehong istasyon nag-gagayahan!Eat Bulaga at MTB parahong naggagayahan .i have some friends from both networks! So may Good and Bad side ang dalawang istasyon na ito!

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 12:03 PM »
After this survey came out nagalit na si Mr Mike Enriquez and GMA accused SkyCable of sabotage kaya daw bumagsak ratings nila.  :)

Even if there is an iota of truth in Mr. Enriquez's claims, sky cable subs only account for less than 30% of total viewing households in metro manila, less pa in the sub-urban areas. Mas marami pa rin ang nakakabit sa antenna na kasama sa survey.

Siguro kailangan matuto ang siyete ng focus group discussion to get to the bottom as to why their programs remain at the tailend of the surveys. Soliciting text info from cable subs is just data gathering. That would not solve the problems of the subscriber. Mas mabuting pa kung sa cable operator nila lang sila magreklamo sa halip mak text sa 7 (for the info of everybody, me kita ang GMA sa bawat text na padala!)

Wala kasi silang pang tapat sa antenna ni Ernie Baron! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2003 at 01:38 PM by viper »

Offline Jackie_Chan1975

• Collector
  • I'm Smith!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 01:24 PM »

ang masasabi Gma why?I like there anime maski na paulit ulit ito di pa rin nakakasawa especially Mojacko
and Doraemon!!!!!

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 06:49 PM »

ang masasabi Gma why?I like there anime maski na paulit ulit ito di pa rin nakakasawa especially Mojacko
and Doraemon!!!!!

When it comes to Anime, ang lamang ng ABS-CBN is Samurai-X I never get tired of that Anime.  Ang galing ng pagka-dub ng dos sa Samurai-X, frankly mas may feeling pa ang tagalize Samurai-X compared to the English dubbed version.

ABS-CBN also have the hottest cartoon in town, Bay Blade mania started from that cartoon.  :)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #76 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 07:10 PM »
maganda daw ang soap opera sa GMA sabi sa probinsiya namin.  kaya lang hindi ko ma-compare.  ABS-CBN lang kasi mayroon dito.  Maganda iyong Kay  tagal kitang hinintay.  Ang galing ng writer at director.  Magaling din stars nila.  Mga bago, hindi malalaking artista pero may K.  
My favorites, KAren DAvila and Kris Aquino and Ces Drilon.  
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Karen Davila got to where she is because she used other "skills", ask anyone from GMA. She is not liked by almost all of her batchmates at UP. If she were caucasian, she'd be a blonde. Listen to her radio show, you'll get so many "quotables".

Kris Aquino is, well, Kris Aquino. Her brother Noynoy said it best: "Our father died when Kris was still young. That's why we make allowances for her." Parang "special child" tuloy ang dating nya.

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 08:08 PM »
Ako paborito ko ang ABS-CBN pag Holy Week kasi mga classic pinoy movies ang pinapalabas nila, parang may filmfest. Kahapon pinalabas nila ang Himala, Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon at Insiang. Tapos noong mga nakaraang taon pinalabas din nila ang Itim, Maynila: Sa Kuko Ng Liwanag, Oro Plata Mata. atbp. Sa ABS-CBN "holy week filmfest" ko rin napanood yung Cinema Paradiso, buti na lang hindi pa uso yung tagalized shows dati.

Pagtapos ng holy week puro tele serye na naman ang ipapalabas nila  >:( >:( >:(

Offline justine

• DVD Addict
  • Stay open, who knows, lightning would strike
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 09:29 PM »
GMA is the best for me.

I think their News and Current Affairs is far better than ABS-CBN.

Since News and Magazine shows are the only things i watch on local TV so GMA is it for me.

In my opinion, I think critical acclaim is more important than ratings.  To each his own, so let us respect each other's opinion.  We are entitled to our own choices and preferences.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Apr 20, 2003 at 10:37 AM »
GMA's investigative report team was tops when Luchi Cruz-Valdes was still with the network. That girl can write!

I don't know how things will go for both networks now that she is with ABS-CBN. On the one hand, Luchi will havee to work with the likes of such hacks as Davila (yeuch!) and that other girl in their investigative report show. GMA, on the other hand, has lost its compass in Luchi. GMA's "producers" and the people who handle their news and public affairs are not as good, in fact they're THE hacks in the network.

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Apr 20, 2003 at 04:08 PM »
GMA for me ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Apr 20, 2003 at 05:45 PM »
GMA is the best for me.

I think their News and Current Affairs is far better than ABS-CBN.

Since News and Magazine shows are the only things i watch on local TV so GMA is it for me.

In my opinion, I think critical acclaim is more important than ratings.  To each his own, so let us respect each other's opinion.  We are entitled to our own choices and preferences.

Excuse me just a correction, GMA's news org is officially called "News and Public Affairs" so are the rest of the news organizations, atleast in broadcast news, in our country.

It is only ABS-CBN under Mr. Puno that changed that and tagged their news organization or department as "News and Current Affairs" kasi nga naman mas appropriate.  I don't know kung ginaya na rin ito ng GMA but it started with ABS.

I'm just wondering if your really into GMA's news programs since you called their news that way kasi ABS lang ang gumagamit ng "current affairs" as far as I know  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Apr 20, 2003 at 05:50 PM »
Current Affairs, Public affairs -- It's just semantics.  ;)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Apr 20, 2003 at 05:54 PM »
Yeah I know, but in the world of media and showbiz semantics is not just that it could mean millions, a law suit and a trademark.  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2003 at 05:54 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline justine

• DVD Addict
  • Stay open, who knows, lightning would strike
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Apr 20, 2003 at 07:27 PM »
I agree with Indie Boy, it is just semantics  ;D

What is important is the quality of the program that they have.

I guess it is my choice if I go for GMA, in the same way that you are entitled to your choice Mr. Big Boy.

Let us just respect each other, okey?  ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Apr 21, 2003 at 12:57 PM »
Ofcourse we are all entitled to our own preferences.  Just wondering lang naman because nga that word "current" is only used by ABS and if your watching GMA news programs naturally you will be more inclined to retain the "public affairs" word, yun lang.

Sa advertising kasi if a product's slogan, in this case the word "current" sticks in a persons mind and establishes a strong recall it means the product or a show is sucessfull in coming across a medium which translate to as - being watched.  That is one of the barometer used by advertising practitioner, and being in the advertising world napuna ko lang naman.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2003 at 01:05 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #86 on: Apr 21, 2003 at 03:17 PM »
 ;D can't help noticing that ABS is very particular with its slogans  ;D

ABS retained the name Powerboys long after those wannabes left the station, right? just read this over the Inquirer yesterday.

yung Maskulados daw Hagibis sila N*Sync. yeah, as Eminem would say "N*Stink!" no offense to the fans.  ;D just kidding aside on a hot Monday afternoon. cheers!
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2003 at 03:18 PM by Reuven Malter »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2003 at 12:21 PM »
Here they go again; this was taken from the Philippine Star it appeared on May 10, 2003:
 ;D

ABS-CBN brands GMA Network lawsuit ‘an act of desperation’

By Mary Ann Ll. Reyes
The Philippine Star 05/10/2003

ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. yesterday branded the civil case for damages filed by GMA Network Inc. as ‘an act of desperation’ following the latter’s failure to grab the ratings leadership.  

GMA Network earlier filed a P12-million civil case for damages against staunch rival ABS-CBN as well as the country’s biggest cable television companies for damages before the Quezon City Regional Trial Court, alleging unfair competition and trade practices.

Also cited as respondents in the civil case filed by GMA on May 6 are Central CATV Inc. (SkyCable), Philippine Home Cable Holdings, Inc. (Home Cable), and Pilipino Cable Corp. (Sun Cable).

Although ABS-CBN has not received a copy of the case filed against them by GMA, ABS-CBN vice-president Maloli Espinosa-Manalastas said that based on what they gathered, the case filed by GMA is baseless and will not stand scrutiny by the court and that eventually truth will prevail.

"The network believes in the integrity and independence of the country’s judicial system. It appears that after it failed to win market leadership as measured by the ratings, GMA-7 is now trying to win through the court what it failed to get in free and open competition with ABS-CBN," Manalastas said.  

GMA alleged in its complaint that ‘in order to arrest or destroy the latter’s upswing performance and top position in the TV industry, SkyCable, Home Cable and Pilipino Cable engaged in unfair competition and/or unfair trade practices together with ABS-CBN through corporate combinations, devices, and machinations resulting in injury and damage to the business and network operations of plaintiff GMA.’  

The complaint cited the common and interlocking business and ownership of ABS-CBN, SkyCable and Pilipino Cable (the Lopezes through holding company Benpres control these companies) and the dominant position of SkyCable in Beyond Cable (a holding company created to consolidate SkyCable and Home Cable where SkyCable has a 66.5. percent stake).

On the one hand, ABS-CBN said GMA 7’s desperate moves and deliberate attempts to discredit the former started when it started to utilize its radio station DZBB through commentaries attacking ABS-CBN. GMA even bombarded the print media with misleading stories against ABS-CBN.  

GMA also filed a complaint with the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) regarding alleged signal disruption and new channel assignments on cable TV. "We wonder what other venues or forums they will employ just to win the ratings game," Manalastas remarked.  

GMA also pointed out in its complaint the reported acquisition of Destiny Cable by SkyCable and Beyond Cable, and that Home Cable’s share in Beyond Cable will be acquired by SkyCable.

It said that with these corporate combinations, machinations and interlocking ownership, Beyond Cable now controls and dictate the signal transmission, channel position, and the airing of shows, programs, and broadcast of free TV stations such as GMA and ABS-CBN.

However, GMA alleged that in carrying these free TV stations, the cable companies have given ABS-CBN first and preferential telecast, to the prejudice of other non-cable TV companies like plaintiff GMA, which is given poor, defective and low density cable transmission and telecast and/or cable TV channel assignments.

It cited, in particular, the unilateral and unlawful rechanneling of GMA’s VHF station, which was moved by the cable companies from Channel 12 to Channel 14, "without notice to plaintiff GMA, to the viewing public, and without prior approval of the National Telecommunications Commission."

As a result of this re-channeling, complainant said there was a disruption and confusion among the viewers of GMA’s TV shows, titles, telecasts and films in the cable TV of defendants.  

In addition, GMA complained about the adverse impact of the signal distortions and degradations in the cable TV systems of the defendants on the viewership, quality of the programs, and ratings of GMA for which defendants should be made liable.  

According to GMA, it is common knowledge that the quality of signal and audio transmission and established channel position in cable TV of a non-cable television network like GMA are crucial in arriving at the ratings which in turn determine whether advertisers, producers and blocktimers will sign contracts with the network, which contracts are the lifeblood of TV networks and stations like GMA.

GMA also alleged that defendants are also aware that 50 percent of the so-called ‘people meter’ which is a device used by the ratings suppliers (AGB Philippines and AC Nielsen) to determine the ratings and audience shares of TV programs are placed in cable TV.  

For its part, ABS-CBN said that as a professional broadcast organization, they maintain that having the best quality programming is still the most effective way to win the ratings game.  

"ABS-CBN has kept quiet over this issue and has always trusted the proper authorities to decide," Manalastas noted. However, the network would not allow its competitor to continue maligning and tarnishing its reputation in the industry using the media.  

"We have already filed a complaint with the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster sa Pilipinas (KBP) on GMA’s personal attacks against fellow broadcasters and other stations," she said.

Offline milkeemee

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2003 at 06:37 PM »
GMA for me. Simple lang. No frills. Sa maniwala kayo sa hindi, kailanman hindi magiging  neutral ang ABS. Kung saan  pumunta si Cory, doon ito pupunta. Eh si Cory ang nagpabukas ng ABS. Kaya naman may tie-up ang Philippine Star at ABS di ba?  Si Cory ang kanilang connect. Kaibigang matalik ni Tita Cory si Betty Go-Belmonte na namayapa na at founder ng Star, at kaibigan din niya ang mga Lopezes. Kaya hwag magtaka kung bakit ganyan ang news ng Star as far as ABS is concerned. Mahirap kapag hindi neutral- hindi nagiging objective.  Definitely, hindi magiging objective ang ABS as far as politics is concerned.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2003 at 07:03 PM »
GMA for me. Simple lang. No frills. Sa maniwala kayo sa hindi, kailanman hindi magiging  neutral ang ABS. Kung saan  pumunta si Cory, doon ito pupunta. Eh si Cory ang nagpabukas ng ABS. Kaya naman may tie-up ang Philippine Star at ABS di ba?  Si Cory ang kanilang connect. Kaibigang matalik ni Tita Cory si Betty Go-Belmonte na namayapa na at founder ng Star, at kaibigan din niya ang mga Lopezes. Kaya hwag magtaka kung bakit ganyan ang news ng Star as far as ABS is concerned. Mahirap kapag hindi neutral- hindi nagiging objective.  Definitely, hindi magiging objective ang ABS as far as politics is concerned.

does this explain why kris is such a "hot commodity" at abs-cbn???  :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2003 at 07:04 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »