Author Topic: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?  (Read 199865 times)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #270 on: Oct 16, 2003 at 03:57 PM »
you have a point there big boy. my question now is, are the owners & investors ONLY interested in profits or dividends? if this is the case, we all know where the ethics of that business lie when they need to decide what will be sacrificed (truth or profit?).  :'( just imagine paano kung ganito ang ethics ng mga drug companies.you also have a good point there using the argument of the law of supply & demand.

When you invest you're money in business what is your purpose?  To serve?  To promote world peace?  To be charitable?  To mold a better society?  If that is your main concern you're better off giving your money to the church or charitable institutions or better yet give them directly to the goverment.  Or run for public office.

All I'm saying is businesses are there to make money that is their ultimate goal, I never said that in doing so wala ng fringe benefits na makukuha ang consumers or ang goverment.  When you're engage in service oriented business like media or utilities of course just like any other company it is only natural to give what your market demands.  Ultimately businesses who gives service have no other choice but to give what their consumers demands or they will switch to the competition.

So are investors mainly interested in profits or dividends, generally yes.  Are they interested in ethics and public service?  Of course yes because it is part of their business.  Did they spend millions of money to give service for service sake?  I think we're not that naive to think that they did.  And there is nothing wrong with that ang masama eh pamigay mo yung pera ng investors mo for your personal cause to become a saint.

one point lang, kung gusto ng audience eh x-rated in free tv, susundin nila?  ???

Huh???  Naguguluhan ako sa tanong na yan.  Have I ever mention in any of my statements to allow illegal or criminal acts?  If I did please kindly point it out.

Diba sinabi ko nga businesses are after profit, now tell me sinong tangang investor ang gagawa niyan knowing to well na tatamaan ang negosyo nila?  

we also have to remember that mass media is about perception. perception = marketing. in marketing, you don't just find the demand, you CREATE it.  that's why mass media always create a demand thru good perception. and they always find themselves (the media) at the crossroads of telling the truth or creating a demand thru good perception for the goal of profit.

just an example, the shift in fashion is dictated by creating a demand. fashion affects lifestyle. lifestyle affects the society. but who is helps the fashion industry? the media of course. media can decide what is the next big thing. it is quite simple to deduce the extent of the power of media companies in affecting society as a whole. kung may magandang idea or product but they (media) refuse to expose it, saan pupulutin ang idea na ito?that's why i am urging the pinoydvd people to become anti-subjective news reporting, not just anti-gma. we may be the (intelligent, nax!) minority, but we still have our voices.  ;D

Well easier said than done.   I am in advertising I think kahit paano alam ko na market forces creates demand and not the other way around.  When you release a product you do research you spend millions just to validate your product.  Kung ang producto mapait sa panlasa ng consumers kahit anong clasend promotion gawin mo wlang bibili nun.  Example -  where are these shows now?  Cafe Bravo, Tatak Pinoy, Little Night of Music, Usapang Business etc.  Baka nga pati yung mga nag-rereklamo sa bulok at stupid shows on TV did not support programs like those.

just a question mr. big boy, if abs cbn would find themselves in the same situation like in saksi and did exactly what gma did to probe, would you voice out your opinion here regarding your disgust against abs?  ;)

peace.  ;D

YES, not only ABS-CBN but also PTV-4,  ABC-5, RPN-9, ZOE-11, IBC-13 etc.

But I have never seen or ever recalled having seen such a blatant display of News Censorship by any other network.  Imagine yung owner president mismo ng Network daw ang nag-patigil to protect not an institution but a single individual.  And this report by Probe merits the show cancellation dahil sa isang tao?  Kung may naalala kang similar case please feel free to mention it here.

Im not critical of what GMA did because I admire ABS-CBN but mainly because it is wrong.  I have a friend working for Probe Production  and believe me they are deep in trouble because of this one individual they exposed.

;D
 ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2003 at 04:05 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: Oct 16, 2003 at 04:28 PM »
I didn’t know that there is no room for idealism in the real world. If that’s the case, then maybe everyone should just take all these corruption scandals with a jaded eye and not just care anymore. It is THE REAL WORLD after all.

I never said that there is no room for idealism infact you yourself prove that there is.  All I said was that it is just that idealism.  Wala naman akong sinabi wag-criticized scandals ah.  I was just reacting to your statement na "The moment you start thinking of these shows in terms of ratings and not as public service, you already compromise its integrity "

My only point is profit is what drives service oriented businesses to give good service, "good" being subjective to what the majority thinks.   It does not fallow if a company thinks profit first masama na magiging produkto on the contrary it is what drives them to dish out better products.  No company gives service for service sake because if they do they are charitable institutions and not a company.  

Having said that, let me just point out that we’re talking about a 30-minute show here. Yes, networks are run by private companies that exist to earn. I agree with that, but to extend it to a 30-minute show? Are we now supposed to just accept the fact that even public service should be profit-driven?

Bantay Bata is an offshoot public service program of ABS-CBN – now I’m being told that even this benign organization has more insidious objectives? That they exist to make a profit out of the misery of abused children? This is precisely the kind of reasons that promote the dumbing down of mass media and its audience. By arbitrarily saying that the masses will only accept “bakya” programs, you never really promote or encourage growth or maturity in how they view what they want. You seem to have mixed up the profit-oriented goals of a company to the public service responsibilities that a media network has been given because of their position.

The media is considered the fourth estate, the watchdog of society – if you’re saying that the Philippine media is and should be purely driven by just profits alone, then God help us all.

Bantay Bata is there to create goodwill for the company just like other companies sponsoring different causes like the plight of women, the environment, OFW's and others.  These are not for charity but for marketing purposes, but it does not mean masama na objective nila, nakakatulong rin naman yun.  

Promoting or encouraging growth or maturity of viewers are not the responsibility of private companies.   Kahit ipalabas mo sa TV 24 hours a day biography of great philosophers and discovery channels documentaries it will not make the viewers mature or change their preference.  Ipapatay lang nila TV or they will just go back to comics.  The present state of taste and preference is sociological and cultural.  

Besides we complain and criticize the media lagi pero when they do dish out quality and worthwhile films or TV shows walang sumusuporta.  

;D
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2004 at 01:27 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: Oct 16, 2003 at 04:38 PM »
Maybe it's the other way around.  Profit is actually what is left over from the cost of the SERVICE paid for by your customer.  You must first SERVE your customer in order to receive compensation for your SERVICE, after which, what you spent is deducted from that compensation in order to arrive at a PROFIT.  Ok, fine, profit is necessary to keep running, but there are many businesses and organizations out there whose primary goal is to give SERVICE, believing that if you SERVE your customers well, the profits will automatically follow.

You did not get my point eh.  Let me ask you why are these service oriented compnaies exist in the first place?  Why did PLDT, GLOBE, BAYANTEL invested and loaned billions of dollars?  Do you think they risked loosing billions of dollars just to serve you?  Siyempre profit ang bottom line.  And because of stiff competition service oriented companies makes sure to give good service not because they want to serve you for service sake but because they want to earn your trust because you have that money they wanted.

I think we should think about who the true clients of a network are?  Do we pay ABS-CBN or GMA to bring us content?  We do not.  Who pays the networks?  It is advertisers who pay the networks.  We have to factor that in, because to me, the advertisers are THE primary client of the networks.  The job of the network is to DELIVER the audience to the advertisers, thus the whole ratings thing.  If the network does not deliver the audience, the advertiser will not patronize the network, and the network will not be profitable.   The audience is NOT the primary client of any network that needs to be profitable to survive.

What's the point?   We the audience are the ones who spend that money because the money which the advertisers/companies pay these networks comes from us the viewers eh di ganun rin yun. ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2003 at 11:43 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #273 on: Oct 16, 2003 at 04:53 PM »
No company gives service for service sake because if they do they are charitable institutions and not a company.  

Yup, you're right. No one's saying that you forego profits for service. But do you have to sacrifice what little public service component your company has over ratings and profit? We're talking about a 30-minute show here and not the whole programming of the networks.

The late Eugenio Lopez, Sr. said it best:

"Good Service is Good Business"

That maxim is practically plastered all over the ABS-CBN compound.  Someone should try to internalize it for a change. ;D

Offline Excalibur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • And now I wait without withering...
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 03:04 AM »

When you invest you're money in business what is your purpose?  To serve?  To promote world peace?  To be charitable?  To mold a better society?  If that is your main concern you're better off giving your money to the church or charitable institutions or better yet give them directly to the goverment.  Or run for public office.

Nice point Mr. Big boy. I do believe you know why things sold by businesses are called GOODS. Because the businesses who made it, inherently believes that their product provides a BENEFIT for the consumers. And by doing this, they are MOLDING A BETTER SOCIETY.

Businesses exist not just for CONSUMERS but for the WORKERS as well. Kung ibibigay mo lahat sa church or charitable institutions, what happens to the economy? This is the second SERVICE of businesses, providing people employment with a fair financial compensation and a humane working environment. (Guess how many labor cases ABS CBN already lost?)

All I'm saying is businesses are there to make money that is their ultimate goal, I never said that in doing so wala ng fringe benefits na makukuha ang consumers or ang goverment.  When you're engage in service oriented business like media or utilities of course just like any other company it is only natural to give what your market demands.

Ikaw na rin ang nagsabi na ibigay ang demand ng market. It is quite possible that what the market may DEMAND can be DAMAGING (or illegal) to the consumer & society as a whole. Take the case of cigarettes. Marketers keep on promoting this product as something cool. But we all know the damage it can inflict.

The same is true with a media organization that creates half-truths, sensationalism & tsismis thru subjective news reporting. It damages the viewers. And it damages society. Is this what you call SERVICE?

Ultimately businesses who gives service have no other choice but to give what their consumers demands or they will switch to the competition.

Yup. I agree. But the key term here is SERVICE.

So are investors mainly interested in profits or dividends, generally yes.  Are they interested in ethics and public service?  Of course yes because it is part of their business.  Did they spend millions of money to give service for service sake?  I think we're not that naive to think that they did.  And there is nothing wrong with that ang masama eh pamigay mo yung pera ng investors mo for your personal cause to become a saint.

Another nice point Mr. Big Boy. Tama ka. What I’d just like to see is some sort of a BALANCE between profit and social responsibility. Wag naman higit na mas importante ang profit.

I believe there is a shift in the vision-mission statements of the world’s biggest companies today. Though increasing the value for the stockholders is one of the main goals of these businesses, it is not their FIRST GOAL. Guess what is their #1 goal? SERVICE.

Huh???  Naguguluhan ako sa tanong na yan.  Have I ever mention in any of my statements to allow illegal or criminal acts?  If I did please kindly point it out.

You did not. The argument is about MARKET DEMAND. You did’nt say whether the demand is LEGAL or ILLEGAL. A debate does not limit itself unless it is specified.  ;)

We all know that there is a demand for illegal products and services. And we all know businesses exist to supply this demand. My point is, kung illegal ba ang demand, dapat ba bigyan ng supply?  Of course, hindi.

Now, let me re-phrase the question: kung UNETHICAL ba ang DEMAND for a certain service, dapat ba bigyan ng SUPPLY?

Diba sinabi ko nga businesses are after profit, now tell me sinong tangang investor ang gagawa niyan knowing to well na tatamaan ang negosyo nila?       Well easier said than done.  

Uninformed investors po. They are those who did not get the information they need to know. Guess who can control this information. An unethical media organization, of course.

I am in advertising I think kahit paano alam ko na market forces creates demand and not the other way around.  

Alam mo Mr. Big Boy, dream job ko ang sa advertising.  ;D

You are correct to say that demand results in supply. I believe you.

But you also have to admit that demand CAN be CREATED thru MARKETING.

Kahit papaano, natutunan ko ito sa Marketing Course ko in my MBA. My teacher was the Vice President for Marketing ng UNILAB. And he has authored a few local books in marketing.

Just an example na binigay niya: Bakit may bumibili pa ng Biogesic when in fact meron naman generic na Paracetamol na mas mura? And they are both made by UNILAB using the same ingredients.  :o

When you release a product you do research you spend millions just to validate your product.  Kung ang producto mapait sa panlasa ng consumers kahit anong clasend promotion gawin mo wlang bibili nun.  

Correct Mr. Big Boy. I agree. Para sa kaso ng pangit na produkto.

Eh paano kung acceptable naman ang quality ng produkto pero hindi naman outstanding? Dyan papasok ang Marketing to create the demand for that product. Di ba?

Example -  where are these shows now?  Cafe Bravo, Tatak Pinoy, Little Night of Music, Usapang Business etc.  Baka nga pati yung mga nag-rereklamo sa bulok at stupid shows on TV did not support programs like those.

Good point. I agree.  Pero nanood ako nyan noon. 8)

YES, not only ABS-CBN but also PTV-4,  ABC-5, RP4N-9, ZOE-11, IBC-13 etc.

Nice to hear this from you.  :D

But I have never seen or ever recalled having seen such a blatant display of News Censorship by any other network.  Imagine yung owner president mismo ng Network daw ang nag-patigil to protect not an institution but a single individual.  And this report by Probe merits the show cancellation dahil sa isang tao?  Kung may naalala kang similar case please feel free to mention it here.

Im not critical of what GMA did because I admire ABS-CBN but mainly because it is wrong.  I have a friend working for Probe Production  and believe me they are deep in trouble because of this one individual they exposed.

;D

;D

I know they are in trouble by the way they answered my email.

Peace  ;D

Offline guderian

• Apprentice
  • "We have severely underestimated Babylan..."
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 11:47 AM »
    You did not get my point eh.  Let me ask you why are these service oriented compnaies exist in the first place?  Why did PLDT, GLOBE, BAYANTEL invested and loaned billions of dollars?  Do you think they risked loosing billions of dollars just to serve you?  Siyempre profit ang bottom line.  And because of stiff competition service oriented companies makes sure to give good service not because they want to serve you for service sake but because they want to earn your trust because you have that money they wanted.

Yep!  I agree that for many companies, profit is the bottom line.  However, I don't believe that you can separate the profit motive from service - the two are inextricably linked.  You cannot simply separate profit from service and say that one is more important than the other.  Each of the quality of the other.

Another nice point Mr. Big Boy. Tama ka. What I’d just like to see is some sort of a BALANCE between profit and social responsibility. Wag naman higit na mas importante ang profit.

I agree with Excalibur.  Kasi kung profits lang ang primary objective, what's to stop any media company from extracting as much of it from whomever?  The problem is that you will be hard pressed find a vision statement or a mission statement that clearly states that profit is the primary objective.  It almost always centers around service of some kind - whether that be to the consumers or to employees.  If a company has the profit motive for its primary goal, then it does not matter what kind of business it's in - it doesn't matter what they sell or how they sell it - they are merely limited by the law and their ability to find loopholes in the same.

What's the point?  We the audience are the ones who give's that money because the money which the advertisers/companies pay these networks comes from us the viewers eh di ganun rin yun.

Hmmm... I wish it were that simple, Mr. Big Boy.  If it were so ,then just extend the relationship back a bit further to say that the money paid to people come from the salaries paid by the networks and the advertisers...

The truth of the matter is, there are many mediating factors in the flow of money, and to say that there is perfect transitivity (to borrow the term from math) would be quite simplistic.  Also, if there is a product that people don't want to buy (even if you advertise the hell out of it), then the chain you described is broken. ;)

I think the point about the primary client of the network is important because it will help us understand why networks act the way they do, and how they deliver the audience to their primary client - the advertisers.  And in case you didn't notice, I am actually HELPING you illustrate your point about ratings and profits being a significant factor the way news and other shows are presented.  I agree with you then to an extent - this is the reality now.  However, Indi-Boi makes a very good point (and ALSO illustrates REALITY) when he says:

The moment you start thinking of these shows in terms of ratings and not as public service, you already compromise its integrity. That goes for both ABS-CBN, GMA and the rest of the networks. .

But wasn't it also a reality in this century that women were not allowed to vote.  Wasn't it also a reality in this century that Aparthied was actually PUBLIC POLICY in Africa?  Yes, these were all realities, and somebody somewhere thought they were doing the staus quo a service by keeping these beliefs and policies in place.  But now women can vote, and Aparthied has been dismantled in Africa.  Slavery was once as accepted as reality in the very same way as you accept the reality of the profit over service motive.  Yes, there is reality, but there is also that little thing we consider called ethics that always complicates our present reality. :)

And the ethics of the matter will always be intertwined with the profit motive and the quality of sevice.  

But if the issue here has been service, then may I ask the forum: How do YOU define service?  I feel we all have slightly different definitions of the term. ???

I'll be back monday. Have a good weekend everybody!  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2003 at 11:48 AM by guderian »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re:Che Che Lazaro's statement and letter
« Reply #276 on: Nov 18, 2003 at 07:19 PM »
I'm posting here, from the probe team website, the statement of Ms. Che-Che Lazaro as well as her letter to Atty. Felipe Gozun, Chair and Prexy of GMA.

FROM CHE CHE LAZARO

I have avoided further statements to media on the censorship of The ProbeTeam; episode on the undeclared assets of PAGCOR Chairman Efraim Genuino.

It was my hope that the furor created by this one incident in 15 years of partnership would be allowed to die down and that the scheduled parting of ways would be cordial.

Unfortunately, the November 3 press statement of GMA Channel 7 makes its case at the expense of the reputation of The Probe Team.  GMA Channel 7 has therefore left me with no choice but to put on record the events that transpired so that our advertisers and the public may know.

October 23, I sent a letter to Atty. Gozon.

In that letter, which follows below, my intention was to let Atty. Gozon know about a series of developments, visible from our side of the fence, which formed the basis for our conclusion that it was censorship.

Among those developments were three calls made by Atty. Junjun Tupas, a member of the law firm of Atty. Gozon, to the Probe staff lobbying on behalf of PAGCOR Chairman Genuino.

Still, I wanted to let Atty. Gozon know that those developments did not make me lose my respect for him as a person and as the head of GMA 7. None of our actions was meant to be a personal affront to him at any time.

I therefore ended my October 23 letter in a conciliatory tone. But Atty. Gozon's response since then, including his November 3 letter, have given me cause to regret my silence.

Atty. Gozon has been harping- in his statements to the press, in the GMA-7 newsletter- on The Probe Team's unprofessionalism.

We maintain that we had the documents he wanted from the very start, and that the final version aired on September 23 did not need to turn to additional documents.

The journalistic standards of The Probe Team have never been compromised nor have they ever been second, then or now, to GMA's own.

Atty. Gozon says he is terminating the airing of The Probe Team on November 25 even though our contract runs to the end of January 2004. Again unilaterally, he has also decided that GMA 7 will continue to air The Probe Team in its international channel.

We say that we are ending the long run of The Probe Team on GMA-7 with the knowledge that we served the public good without sacrificing our integrity for 16 years.

October 23, 2003

Atty. Felipe L. Gozon
Chairman, President & CEO
GMA Network Inc.,
GMA Network Center
EDSA Corner Timog Avenue
Diliman, Quezon City 1103

Dear Atty. Gozon:

This is further to my letter dated October 9th, 2003 addressing your suggestion that we mutually end the partnership with TPT on November 25, 2003.

I had hoped that upon my return from a two week visit with my daughter I would be able to avoid having to delve once more on the issues surrounding the non-airing, or in our view censorship, of the TPT episode on PAGCOR Chairman Genuino. Unfortunately, PAGCOR and even GMA Network Inc. have continued to portray The Probe Team as unprofessional. Never in my many years of being involved in television have I ever been accused of acting unprofessional. Never in the history of The Probe Team have we been accused of airing a story for the purpose of undermining the character of a personality. It would have been a very simple matter for Chairman Genuino or one of his many assistants to have agreed to an interview where he could have aired his side. Yet even up to today, there has been no categorical denial from Chairman Genuino himself as to the ownership of those companies our story identified as his, per SEC records.

While the story on Chairman Genuino was being prepared, there were numerous incidents where his office and his person were trying to stop the story from being aired. Chairman Genuino's office even tried to reach my husband. They were using all available connections. At the same time, officers of GMA Network Inc. showed extraordinary interest in the story, something we have not experienced as related to a government personality in all our history of working with GMA Network Inc. It was not difficult to imagine that in the efforts of Chairman Genuino to kill the story, he and his assistants would also be calling on the executives of the station to air his objection to the story. GMA marketing through Mr. Afin Bautista lobbied on behalf of Mr. Genuino. Mr. Bautista also told me that a Mr. Dodie King wanted to talk to me about the PAGCOR story. There was even a call from a lawyer who identified himself as Junjun Tupas. He said he was from your Law office and was calling as a friend of PAGCOR. The combination of the multi-pronged pressure led us to believe that the action of GMA Network Inc. not to air the episode was its way of giving in to the pressure of Mr. Genuino.

It appears that Chairman Genuino had better access to GMA Network Inc. decisions on this matter than we had. In the early evening of the day when the episode was originally supposed to air, we were told by people inside PAGCOR that Dodie King had already announced to his staff not to tape record the airing of The Probe Team that night as the episode on his boss would not be aired. That was many hours before the staff of The Probe Team was informed of the decision of the station to air a rerun. In fact, our staff was working double time during those last few hours hoping we could provide the answers to the questions being raised by GMA 7. We even had our own producers shooting footage as late as ten p.m.

Similarly, Chairman Genuino had announced to his staff that TPT would be cancelled and Bernadette Sembrano removed from the news many hours before GMA 7, through Ms. Marissa Flores and Ms. Rikki Escudero, had told me of that decision at my residence.

What further supports our view that it was not the documentation of the story that caused the station to replace it with a rerun is the subsequent airing of the episode the next week. The original episode was aired in UP through the invitation and initiative of the UP faculty and students of the College of Mass Communications. We had nothing to do with this invitation. In fact it was a matter we had to debate internally because we knew that GMA 7 would find the airing of that episode as an act of defiance. We eventually agreed to air it because we felt we had to have on record what the original episode contained. If you have your staff compare the documentation of that original episode with the version allowed to air the following week, the documentation remains the same. There was no new document added, a point we made repeatedly during our back and forth discussions with our counterparts in News and PA. The episode aired is substantively the same.

We have also been scored for accusing GMA immediately in public. For the record, the first public statement on the issue after the September 16 non-airing was made on the September 17 Frontpage newscast. We did not solicit coverage from the press. They called us as well as GMA for comment when the non-airing of the episode had become too obvious to the public. That story first appeared on September 18 in the PDI.

When Probe Productions Inc. and GMA 7 were discussing the transfer of the marketing from PPI to GMA 7 in exchange for a fixed monthly fee, one of our main concerns which we mentioned to Mr. Meckoy Quiogue was journalistic independence. We asked Meckoy whether the start of GMA 7 having a financial commitment to PPI will mean that GMA 7 will exercise control over the stories going to be aired by The Probe Team. Meckoy assured us that GMA 7 will only SUGGEST and he added that the station respects our editorial prerogative, a point which I appreciated.

Following that commitment, we worked well with the News and Public Affairs staff on all our stories. One particular instance I recall is a story we did on the F4 craze. When informed that the station was concerned about the effect our story would have on the fierce competition with a rival station, we willingly acceded to their suggestions understanding their concern. We appreciated GMA's giving us heads up on the matter.

In our contract with GMA 7, we agreed to keep GMA 7 free and harmless, including attorney's fees of the station, in case any of our stories should provoke a lawsuit. My advisers told me at that time that this was a very serious undertaking especially for a small company such as ours. They told me that we would have to reckon not only with legitimate suits but also with nuisance suits. I was told that the phraseology of the hold harmless clause did not even require that we lose the suit, our company would be immediately liable for legal expenses of GMA 7 just to prepare and pursue its defense. Nevertheless, I swallowed hard and accepted this provision because I wanted to remove as many reasons as possible for GMA 7 to have to intrude in our journalistic independence.

I thought I would raise these two historical points to highlight that our reaction to the decision of GMA 7 not to air the episode is consistent with who we are and what we have stood for all these years.

With reference to your proposal to preterminate the contract to November 25, 2003, allow me to make a counter proposal. I propose that GMA 7 waive all its international airing rights to any TPT episodes. If GMA does not want to be associated with The Probe Team anymore, for consistency, it would follow that GMA also no longer wants to use its international airing rights.

If we have an agreement consistent with the paragraph above, the end of the show will be a month away. I have not decided whether to end the show after sixteen years or to continue at another station. Although there have been feelers received, I have not met with anyone to negotiate any agreement. For now, I only wish to put on record the events as seen from our side, on the issue.

In retrospect, there are many things I could have done to prevent this entire incident from ballooning to this proportion. I realize how our cries of censorship hurt GMA 7 and yourself. I also feel that by our having accepted the UP invitation and giving interviews to print media, we brought the issue outside the confines of the station. Christian teaching identifies the greatest sin as that of PRIDE. And of this I and my staff in TPT are guilty. Knowing full well that we are parting ways, I do not want to leave without apologizing to you if I have caused you personal hurt on this issue. I truly regret that it has come to this point but trust that you will understand how the circumstances surrounding this incident led us to react the way we did.

Sincerely yours,
Cheche Lazaro

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2003 at 02:42 PM by RMN »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 03:15 PM »
Alejandro is new president of ABS-CBN

By Zinnia B. Dela Peña
The Philippine Star 02/19/2004

Media giant ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. announced yesterday the appointment of business executive Luis Alejandro as the network’s new president and chief operating officer effective May this year.

Alejandro is presently the chief operating officer of Heinz UFC Philippines Inc. and president and chief operating officer of Southeast Asia Food Inc. With combined revenues of close to P4 billion, these companies are considered the leading players in the sauces and condiments industry.

He takes over the position vacated by Federico Garcia who retired from the network last December. Garcia served as ABS-CBN’s president for eight years and now holds a senior management consultant position at the company.

Garcia has been credited with the re-emergence of ABS-CBN as the country’s leading network. He was, in fact, responsible for the highly successful telenovela series, some of which are being exported and shown in other countries. Garcia’s pioneering spirit had led him to direct the network towards other lucrative ventures like the Talent Center and Star Cinema.

An economics graduate of Ateneo de Manila University, Alejandro has likewise earned a masters degree in business management from the Asian Institute of Management. He is married to Cynthia Catalan and they have three children.

Alejandro has 24 years of combined experience in brand/marketing operations and general management. He started his career at Procter & Gamble where he built a solid 15-year marketing track record which culminated as category manager/marketing director of the beauty care category. He assumed a US posting and Asia marketing responsibilities towards the latter part of his stint in the consumer goods market leader.

In 1995, Alejandro joined Kraft Foods Philippines, Inc. as president and peneral manager. During his term with Kraft, revenues grew at double-digit levels while market shares across categories were at leadership or strong number two positions.

ABS-CBN is the Philippines’ leading broadcasting company and first multi-media content provider with operations in the television, radio, cable, film, music, Internet and magazine platforms. Outside the Philippines, ABS-CBN operates in the United States, Europe, and Middle East.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
That Alejandro guy has very big shoes to fill considering he's taking over from Fredie Garcia, who's considered a genius, and the fact he has no experience in television/media. I may be making a hasty judgement  but I think its downhill from here for ABS-CBN. But who knows, lets give their new prexy a chance.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2004 at 03:17 PM by RMN »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 03:14 PM »
Mayron sila parehong strong points (ABS_CBN and GMA7). GMA does a good concept in terms of their programs. Kaya nagrarate talaga. ABS-CBN naman magaling sa pag promote ng mga shows at mga talents nila sobra sa exposure kaya sumusikat. Purely bussiness ang ABS. Kapag laos na ang isang artista o sabihin natin di bumebenta inaalis na nila. Sayang nga naman ang pinapasweldo.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 06:44 PM »
Got this article sa E-Mail, interesting:  ;D

ABS-CBN has been put in a bad light again. A lot of sectors have tried to drag the name of this enviable giant into the mud of doubt.  Just recently, they put political color to the fact that ABS-CBN management met with Dolphy about his show “Home Along the Airport”.  They ignored the current goings-on in the program line-up of the station: MTB was reformatted into MTB: Ang Saya-Saya! by getting Arnel Ignacio retaining a few stars, adding some and sacking Randy Santiago, John Estrada and other stars; Berks was dropped and replaced by Lukso ng Dugo;Whattamen and Klasmeyts were taken out, some of the stars were placed in Yes Yes Show while others became show-less; Kris Aquino’s Game Ka Na Ba? was also axed and replaced with Star Circle Quest, etc...Do all these suggest political color?

Instead, they (this includes Richard Gomez and Armida Siguon-Reyna, both with GMA 7 and staunch supporters of FPJ) chose to speculate that ABS-CBN was supporting Arroyo’s candidacy as allegedly “evidenced” by ABS-CBN’s allegedly “offering” of Noli De Castro to be PGMA’s running mate so that he can help her on the popularity department. They speculated further that, in return, PGMA would be lenient on ABS’s other businesses such as Meralco and Maynilad Waters. And because Dolphy openly supported FPJ, they jumped the gun and assumed, without any proof, that the purpose of the meeting would be that Dolphy’s show would be axed and the reason was because he was supporting FPJ! Kris Aquino openly supported PGMA, supposedly ABS’s bet, but her show was axed! If a show would indeed be axed, could there really be a political motive or could it just be plain and simple programming strategy?

Today Newspaper opinion writer Dan Mariano wrote in his article entitled “Dolphy, Political Martyr?”: “In typical fashion of the newspaper (Philippine Daily Inquirer) that published the tale on no less than its front page matched with a huge top of the fold photo of the comedian, only one source was cited as the supplier of the information on Dolphy’s alleged dismissal from ABS-CBN. Worse, that source was not named.  Worst of all, the report offered no other informant that could positively confirm the first anonymous source’s allegation.  Evidently, the daily’s editors set no store by the fundamental newsroom principle of second sourcing.”

“The lame excuse that Dolphy ‘did not make himself available for comment’ capped the report’s many journalistic infirmities. The caption on the front-page photo of a haggard looking Dolphy did not bother to say when and where it was taken, but made it seem as though he chose to make no comment when confronted by a battery of reporters. For all we know, the picture is a file photo.” Inquirer, as we all know, is affiliated with GMA 7 through Inq7.net. Again and again, the Lopezes have been looked upon as businessmen who would go to any length just to satisfy their greedy ends. GMA 7 had repeatedly maligned ABS-CBN and accused the station of protecting the interests of their owners by being partial. Mike Enriquez was sanctioned by KBP for insinuating that ABS-CBN has political and business interests to protect and therefore, should not be patronized. Hmm...Let me see...I did a little research and here’s what I discovered. Ever wondered why, though GMA 7 was already in existence in the 80’s, they didn’t play a role in the 1st People Power revolt and/or to the events leading to it?  

Same reason why, post-Marcos, they didn’t have any notable documentary (like ABS’s “Batas Militar”) or investigative nmaterial on the deposed president and his regime. Well, Gilberto Duavit, one of the owners of GMA, was a known Marcos crony and a former Malacanang official under the dictator! GMA persisted during Martial Law while ABS was closed down! Mr. Duavit was also the Secretary General of the LAMP Party whose titular head was former President Estrada. Ever wondered why most, if not all, of the expose’s leading to Estrada’s impeachment did not originate from GMA’s “award winning” investigative group? Or why Duavit’s son and former GMA executive Cong. Michael John Duavit, was part of the “brat pack” bent on impeaching Davide, Chief Justice during the trial of Erap, whom his father is an ally of?   A congressman in the family... So what is their stand on the pork barrel? Menardo Jimenez, 2nd of GMA’s triumvirate, is a member of San Miguel Corporation’s board while his son, Butch, is PLDT Corporate Communications Head as well as a top GMA executive. How would GMA handle bad news about these companies?  Atty. Felipe Gozon, now president of GMA, questionably booted out the PROBE Team even as Cheche Lazaro maintained that they exerted due diligence in their report on the PAGCOR chief. Is there a hidden agenda? Now, Mike Enriquez, can you tell the public about all these things? Can you tell the people with your usual arrogance that your beloved station is impartial and does not have any interests to protect? Shame on all of you in GMA! You have been deceiving the public all these years. At least ABS-CBN is honest. Everybody knows which companies they are affiliated with. ABS has always been open to any inquiry. GMA, on the other hand, pretends to be impartial but they have their hidden interests!!! Or maybe the joke of-a-broadcaster that Mike is, he isn’t aware that all his beliefs are false! Now. Who has credibility?

Mike, do your “home”-work. Know thyself before you sling mud on others! Buwitre!!!!

Offline Excalibur

• Collector
  • And now I wait without withering...
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 11:41 PM »

it is interesting indeed mr. big boy.  ;D

with regards to the naming of the source, i think any journalist has the right not to name his or her source so as to protect that person and at the same time assure the continuous flow of vital information without being discovered. (in relation to this, whistlerblowers are more of a rarity than the standard in our society).

but the argument of "second sourcing" is indeed valid.

with regards to gma's non-involvement in the first people power, i think they covered the first people power revolution. immobilized ang ibang tv stations at that time.

with regards to the involvement of duavit with erap, just look at beaver lopez.  ;D

with regards to the martial law features: star cinema made 'eskapo' mainly because geny lopez was one of the hero in the movie. malaki ang galit ng mga lopez sa mga marcos. still, to their benefit, the martial law years were indeed dark times.  :'(

both stations are intensely waging war at each other, they are now forgetting what really is important: the broadcast of events in an OBJECTIVE MANNER. media companies keep expanding their businesses that in the end, they have to compromise their integrity with their interests.

just an observation:
the email is just so "anti-gma", the writer forgot that the issue is not about gma but about dolphy and abs-cbn, di ba?  :)

peace  ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 01:05 PM »
I agree with you Excalibur that the main issue is about ABS-CBN and Dolphy, and that issue should had stayed between them.  The problem is politicians are trying to make a spin out of this issue, and GMA and Inquirer being totally irresponsible and bias because of their vested interest as usual, is riding on an issue that is purely internal corporate and showbiz affair.  But there is a side issue here and a more important one.  The issue of media power and how it can be used to destroy peoples reputation and institutions.

Have you seen the Newscast of GMA's “24 Oras”, specifically their interview with Mike Defensor?  My God si Mel at Mike tag team ang dalawa, I never ever seen such blatant display of bias and unprofessionalism before.  If you haven’t seen that episode you wouldn’t know what I’m talking about.

On the course of the interview Mel Tiangco even blurted out in all her pacute at pa-baby style of interviewing "Hindi naman naniniwala ang... sambayanan Pilipino sa sinasabi niyo" she almost said "ako".  Sinabi rin niya "Hindi naman kayo spokesperson ng mga Lopez diba, spokesperson kayo ni Gloria".  All her questions is insulting to any intellectually able viewers.  He even implied that Manila Water is honest unlike Maynilad because hindi naman daw nalulugi ang Manila Water of Ayala, she knew naman siguro that Manila Water got only got 15% of the concession and is paying 1000% cheaper concession fee plus the fact that Maynilad shouldered 90% of MWSS  total debts.  I think they mentioned ABS-CBN 100 times in that interview garapal talaga.

And I would like to add one more thing.  Bob Stewart used to own GMA, because of some miracle it landed on the hands of a Marcos crony, there are a lot of stories on how it got to the hands of the 3 present owners, and it's also an interesting story.

And about Beaver Lopez and Jackie Estrada, that is a different  thing romantic in nature naman ang relationship nila at hindi political or business, infact Meralco was not given a rate hike even if Beaver is the son of Manolo Lopez the President of Meralco.

;D
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2004 at 01:36 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 01:39 PM »

"Bob Stewart used to own GMA, because of some miracle it landed on the hands of a Marcos crony, there are a lot of stories on how it got to the hands of the 3 present owners, and it's also an interesting story."

In  fact, Bob Stewart left the country  heartbroken and in disgust because of the take-over.

"And about Beaver Lopez and Jackie Estrada, that is a different  thing romantic in nature naman ang relationship nila at hindi political or business, infact Meralco was not given a rate hike even if Beaver is the son of Manolo Lopez the President of Meralco."

::)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 01:45 PM »
GMA-7 aired  FPJ's campaign kick-off rally staged in the Cuneta Astrodome one Saturday. This only means... :o

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 01:53 PM »
i never read much of the earlier replies but- NONE. they both stink.

I can not stand watching any of their shows... I also do not like the idea that a single talent works on so many shows within that channel.

this really feels like the Heyday of WWF vs WCW to tell you the truth. Talents jumping ship every other week. (maybe one channel may end up owning the other just like Vinny Mac??). What one does, the other tries to outdo the other.

Frankly, i even find myself watching Channel 9 and Channel 5 more (not since they started showing PBA every day though). Cause that league also $uck b@ll$.

Pero more times than never, i only watch cable channels.

Lifestyle network's kinda boring na rin with the same show rotations. (can't they afford to buy more??)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 02:27 PM »
ABS-CBN woos Dolphy
back home: source
Posted: 11:11 PM (Manila Time) | Mar. 23, 2004
By Gil C. Cabacungan Jr. and Marinel R. Cruz
Inquirer News Service

ABS-CBN, the home studio of comedy king Dolphy, appears to have backtracked from its decision to cancel "Home Along Da Airport," according to a source close to the comedian.

A top executive of the giant network reportedly called Dolphy on Monday and asked him to resume taping on Friday.

"Dolphy said the network would give him another show that he will not be able to refuse," the source added.

The comedian, however, reportedly said he would not accept the offer.

Dolphy and Fernando Poe Jr. met Monday night during the taping of Poe's campaign jingle "May Bagong Umagang Darating" in Libis, Quezon City.

Poe reportedly told Dolphy that he felt bad because he was the reason the comedian lost his TV show, the Inquirer source said.

"OK lang, pare, ang mahalaga manalo ka (That's all right. Your victory is what's important)," the source quoted Dolphy as saying.

Formal launch

Even as ABS-CBN was reportedly courting Dolphy, a top executive of Associated Broadcasting Corp. Channel 5 on Tuesday said its management was in "serious discussions" with Dolphy, who played the role of Kevin Cosme in the long-running "Home Along Da Riles" (and its sequel "Home Along Da Airport"), for a high-profile transfer to the revitalized broadcast station now controlled by businessman Antonio "Tonyboy" Cojuangco.

The actor is not allowed to discuss his pending departure from the network because of a stipulation in his contract preventing him from saying "anything derogatory" against ABS-CBN, the source said, adding the contract also prohibits him from resigning from the show.

Reached by the Inquirer for comment, Maloli Manalastas, ABS-CBN vice president for government, corporate affairs and public relations, said: "As earlier stated, ABS-CBN remains firm with our position that agreements between the management and the artist will be treated with confidentiality."

The ABC executive, who requested anonymity, said negotiations were being coursed through Dolphy's son, actor-director Eric Quizon, and that both sides were just waiting for the 75-year-old comedian's contract with ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp.'s Channel 2 to end soon.

Dolphy's transfer would be announced next month at the broadcast station's formal launch, the executive said.

Despite Dolphy's unblemished record with the network, the Lopez-controlled ABS-CBN reportedly did not like the fact that one of their main stars was actively campaigning for opposition presidential candidate Poe.

The Lopezes are believed to be supporting the reelection bid of President Macapagal-Arroyo whose running mate, Senator Noli de Castro, is a newsroom talent of the broadcast station.

ABS-CBN officials, however, insisted they did not meddle or influence choices made by their talents.

Poe's party, the opposition Koalisyon ng Nagkakaisang Pilipino (Coalition of United Filipinos, KNP), however, said it had received reports that ABS-CBN officials had ordered its talents and contract stars to campaign only for the President and her K-4 ticket.

In a press statement, the KNP also noted that the network had never denied that it was planning to cancel Dolphy's show.

Ratings impact

Part of the ABC management's overall strategy is to utilize Dolphy in a totally different and fresh take than his most recent incarnation, the ABC executive added.

The source said the management considered Dolphy a unique case, adding that he is one of the most enduring institutions in show business and his presence alone would give ABC an immediate impact in the ratings game.

Several other ABS-CBN talents have reportedly sent feelers about joining ABC, but network officials said it would take its time going over the new applications.

Cojuangco spent over two billion pesos when he took over ABC-5 last year, and has put up another one billion pesos to beef up the network's facilities, talent and content.

The executive said the changes would not be immediate but would unfold in the next 12 months as it establishes itself as a force to reckon with in the television industry dominated by ABS-CBN and GMA Network, Inc.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 02:28 PM »
i never read much of the earlier replies but- NONE. they both stink.

Yeah, both networks SUCK!!! And they do nothing but copy each other.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2004 at 02:29 PM by RMN »

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
Re: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #287 on: Apr 16, 2004 at 03:38 PM »
GMA7. kapuso mo ako  O0

Offline Xiami

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 02:50 AM »
None here. Both lacking in content. ABS relies too much on the "star powers" than content but ABS promotes their network  better than GMA.

Offline crezi_munky

• Collector
  • I lived to watch you all die!
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Apr 27, 2004 at 08:04 AM »
none...both network show stupid and annoying movie stars!  >:D

Offline pinoycoolwacky

• Apprentice
  • Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2004 at 02:26 AM »
Well! As far as international scene is concern I guess ABS-CBN has more edge compared to GMA-7. Because for ONE thing ABS-CBN has its TFC while GMA - sorry but I dont think they have this kind of franchise internationally.
::) Life is like a box of chocolates..::)

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #291 on: May 31, 2004 at 06:19 AM »
GMA. I rarely watch local channels anymore, but GMA still has bubble gang and some sitcoms that Im watching every  now and then. sa abs cbn ,grabe ang telenovela nila. Starting from 6pm to 10pm!!!?? nakainis especially if someone from your house wathces all of them each and every day. It means they will hog the tv up until primetime.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004 at 06:20 AM by Koolkat »
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline Hitman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Signature Move: The Sharpshooter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #292 on: Jun 27, 2004 at 08:10 PM »
GMA 7,mas natural at pangmasa ang mga artista nila...di kamukha sa abs na napakadaming talents na maaarte >:(

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Jun 27, 2004 at 08:14 PM »
Even though they are very powerful, they still both suck!

One of them generates a hit, the other simply imitates instead of coming up with something new and original.

ABS-CBN and GMA are both IDIOTIZING the Filipino masa!

Offline shu_lien

• Collector
  • Li Mu Bai!
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 10:39 AM »
GMA 7 - KAPUSO !   :D

I tried watching ABS-CBN shows,gags, etc..  naBWISIT lang ako! I did not enjoy.. not even a minute...  >:(

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 02:44 PM »

TV Patrol lang pinapanood ko sa ABS and even though I rarely watch Tagalog shows and sitcoms, I think GMA is better in this aspect based on some shows I've seen. Tama iyong iba. I tried watching some ABS sitcoms and shows but I didn't laugh 1 bit pero sa GMA, Eat Bulaga pa lang nakailang tawa na ako. Sana lang iimprove pa nila ang programs nilang 2 para hindi naman bumaba intellect ng viewers.

Offline shu_lien

• Collector
  • Li Mu Bai!
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Jul 22, 2004 at 12:18 PM »

TV Patrol lang pinapanood ko sa ABS and even though I rarely watch Tagalog shows and sitcoms, I think GMA is better in this aspect based on some shows I've seen. Tama iyong iba. I tried watching some ABS sitcoms and shows but I didn't laugh 1 bit pero sa GMA, Eat Bulaga pa lang nakailang tawa na ako. Sana lang iimprove pa nila ang programs nilang 2 para hindi naman bumaba intellect ng viewers.

Korek ka jan!  :)

PAreho tayo, i watch News lang din.   Pero In fairness, mas gusto ko "THE BUZZ" pagdating sa showbiz talks.. Magaling naman kasi si Boy ABunda... Un lang dalawa so far ang nakita kong maganda sa kanila...

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #297 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 10:54 AM »
I know that most pinoys are glued to these two networks during their viewing time, especially the C,D, and E population -- we might be enjoyin the shows and programs of these two competing tv networks but much of what have become the pinoys now typifies what these two are showing most of the time.  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Jul 31, 2004 at 04:30 PM »
I was browsing through the past posts for past few weeks and I was surprised that none (particularly the later posts) even mentioned the legal tussle between ABS/GMA/Kris.

Either it is a non-issue or sub-judice ::)  (meaning removed?)

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Jul 31, 2004 at 05:13 PM »
i think i speak for everybody when i say "Who The F cares about their legal tussle crap?"