Author Topic: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?  (Read 198645 times)

Offline Excalibur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • And now I wait without withering...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #330 on: Feb 25, 2005 at 12:53 PM »

mr. bigboy,

local news kamo?  :o

a significant part of the local news programs in free tv
is about crime, politics & showbusiness.
remembering the difference of the treatment of news in canada & in the US
(as reported by michael moore in "fahrenheit 9/11",)
para na tayong sumusunod sa US model.
kaya tuloy nagiging praning na rin ang mga pinoy.

and thats why i think its better to read the local news than watching it on TV.
(walang pang halong dramatic voices)

moreover, both ABS & GMA news features sports, business & even
science & technology noon . ngayon (halos) ala na.
naging propaganda machines na sila ng kani-kanilang talents.
(kaya nga nagalit na ang mga managers, PAMI, sa mga networks eh)

and worse, they call it "in the service of the filipino people" o
"serbisyong totoo"?  >:(

if we start to think that the important aspect of news
is the technical side and not the content,
then were all in big trouble.

by the way,
hindi ba abs lang ang filipino channel abroad?
so its not surprising na hit ang any show ng abs sa abroad. ;)
(kaya nga number 1 kasi only one...)
i do believe the true power of abs will be known
kung magkakaroon sila ng competition abroad, di ba?

i do believe competition should make the industry better,
and not make the consumers suffer.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: Feb 25, 2005 at 02:33 PM »
Exculibur,  ;D

I'm not talking about TFC here. I’m talking about shows being syndicated internationaly.  Or shows being bought directly by Foreign TV Networks to be shown and marketed to their people.  Like in Africa, Asia and Europe.  There are even clamor from some countries by NON-PINOYS to bring our artist there because of the popularity of some Pinoy programs there.  Even the movie right of Feng Shui is being sought by Brad Pitt and Jeniffer Aniston's Film Production Company from Star Cinema.  About TFC not having a competitor before, that’s true because TFC is the one who took the risk and pioneered international Pinoy TV, because of that a lot of Pinoy and even its competitor will reap the benefits of that risk TFC made.

Of course technical advancement is not the be all and end all of TV Fares, but that is one important and highly appreciated factor by TV viewers.  I’m sure if our Networks do not invest on equipment they will receive additional criticisms from you.   I guess it's a matter of seeing the glass of water as being half full or half empty.  I acknowledge the tremendous shortcomings of the TV industry but I rather appreciate the good things about it and there's a lot of good things happening to it right now infact.

As for relying more on the papers for News, that’s the biggest joke.  Papers can be a lot more bias and inaccurate than TV and in many instances that is the case.  At lease on TV you can see news unfolding before your eyes and hear it practically from the horse’s mouth.  The two has its pros and cons we can’t make a sweeping conclusion which of the two is more reliable, for one papers can’t bring us breaking news which is very important if you’re engage in speculative base businesses.

All I'm saying is we pinoy tend to be over critical to our own, we bash everything Pinoy and praise anything foreign, that’s just a general observation.  I’m not saying that you’re like that.  I also watch more foreign cable channels than Pinoy, but I do not base my judgment what to watch based on which is local and which is foreign because for me both got trashable programs and sensationalize news and in the same manner both got good points and can be appreciated in different ways.  I guess the “bakya” tag does not affect me as long as I like the program I watch them regardless where they came from.

;D
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2005 at 02:58 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 09:01 AM »
A GMA Kapuso here[/glow][/color][/b]   8)
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2005 at 09:12 AM by garee »

Offline eRaSeR

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 10:00 AM »
 ;D

mr. bigboy,

by the way,
hindi ba abs lang ang filipino channel abroad?
so its not surprising na hit ang any show ng abs sa abroad. ;)
(kaya nga number 1 kasi only one...)
i do believe the true power of abs will be known
kung magkakaroon sila ng competition abroad, di ba?

i do believe competition should make the industry better,
and not make the consumers suffer.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #334 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
kapuso sana ako e. kaso nawala ang probe team :'( but that's not enough reason to shift to abs ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2005 at 10:11 AM by bumblebee »

Offline lite-on

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 10:27 AM »
GMA definitely, from morning till midnight.  :)

Sana kasi mag-add ng poll yung author ng thread.  :)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 03:30 PM »
Charo Santos unloaded all of her ABS-CBN shares. what does this mean?

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 05:57 PM »
Charo Santos unloaded all of her ABS-CBN shares. what does this mean?

Well she said in a statement that she plays the Stock Market now, and if you were following the Market ABS-CBN has been performing very well in the market these past few days and think its logical to sell or unload now, given the recent bombing and rumors of more bombings to come the market is beginning to plumet again.  hehehe
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2005 at 10:55 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #338 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 10:18 AM »
I play the stock market too. If ever Charo Santos is indeed just "playing" the stock market -- it's quite a weird move for a top executive to unload all of her stocks in a company she STILL WORKS FOR. If ABS-CBN stocks are really performing well, common sense dictates that you sell SOME of your stocks and then wait for the shares to go HIGHER. Any stock market analyst would advise that . If Charo has indeed unloaded ALL of her stocks -- well, in any other company that only means one thing -- the executive has lost confidence in the company.

Are there any people here who dabble in stocks. I'm curious as to what you guys think about this.

RMN, was Charo's move confirmed? My wife has never mentioned this topic being discussed in her internal meetings at the company.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2005 at 10:19 AM by indie boi »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 11:07 AM »
I went to the Phisix website a while ago. I was thinking that if ABS is doing really well I should tell my father-in-law to unload his stocks too -- since he has been stuck with it since he bought it a couple of years ago at 28 pesos per share. I was so disappointed to find out that ABS stocks are not performing that well after all. After a high of 24/share last October 2004, it's only listed at 18/share today. Aside from a few market corrections, ABS shares have been plummeting since October of last year.

Sayang, I really thought my father-in-law could sell his stocks this week.  :(

http://www.pse.org.ph/html/Charts/charts.jsp?securitySymbol=ABS

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #340 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 12:16 PM »
hmmm... a local martha stewart case! ehehe  ;D
better sell the shares while you're at it before it goes down!
or she has other plans to jump ship ehehe
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 05:51 PM »
I went to the Phisix website a while ago. I was thinking that if ABS is doing really well I should tell my father-in-law to unload his stocks too -- since he has been stuck with it since he bought it a couple of years ago at 28 pesos per share. I was so disappointed to find out that ABS stocks are not performing that well after all. After a high of 24/share last October 2004, it's only listed at 18/share today. Aside from a few market corrections, ABS shares have been plummeting since October of last year.

Sayang, I really thought my father-in-law could sell his stocks this week.  :(

http://www.pse.org.ph/html/Charts/charts.jsp?securitySymbol=ABS

28 Pesos? Wow.  If I remember correctly ABS-CBN reached a high of 47 per share nung bago palang ito sana binenta na niya that time.    The PSE performed generally well for a couple of days before that Valentine bombing incident and ABS-CBN and it's Mother Company Benpres Holdings performed well also.   Given the fiscal crisis the uncertainty of VAT being approved and the Budget not being passed, if I am Charo I would unload all my Stocks and invest it in Real Estate or something more stable against speculative forces or wait.

The problem with the stock market is no matter how good and stable the company is performing it doesnt follow na maganda na rin automatically ang magiging value ng stocks mo, alam mo naman yan kung nag lalaro ka sa stock market diba.   Saka relative sa time frame yung sinasabing magandang performance eh di naman ibig sabihin buong taon yung icoconsider mo, a few days in the market can very well mean millions of losses or gains.  I'm surprised na hindi mo napuna na gumaganda ang takbo na Phisix before the bombing incident and had to check the website pa, anyway kanya kanya yan.  I only quoted what Charo Santos said and according to her she's playing the Market now that's why she unloaded her stocks.  Anyway when the Value goes down she can always buy back ABS-CBN stocks tumubo pa siya.

If Charo Santos is indeed moving out of ABS-CBN I don't see any reason why she can't keep her stocks or atleast some of it,  unless nasa Company Constitution yun which I doubt.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2005 at 06:56 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 06:00 PM »
hmmm... a local martha stewart case! ehehe  ;D
better sell the shares while you're at it before it goes down!
or she has other plans to jump ship ehehe

Oo nga no. hehehe Baka makasuhan siya ng insider trading.  :)

Sigurado malaking effect pag-nagkaroon ng mass resignation ang Top executives sa ABS-CBN sa Value ng stocks nito.  Baka may alam si Charo.   
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2005 at 06:07 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 06:16 PM »
I play the stock market too. If ever Charo Santos is indeed just "playing" the stock market -- it's quite a weird move for a top executive to unload all of her stocks in a company she STILL WORKS FOR. If ABS-CBN stocks are really performing well, common sense dictates that you sell SOME of your stocks and then wait for the shares to go HIGHER. Any stock market analyst would advise that . If Charo has indeed unloaded ALL of her stocks -- well, in any other company that only means one thing -- the executive has lost confidence in the company.

Are there any people here who dabble in stocks. I'm curious as to what you guys think about this.

RMN, was Charo's move confirmed? My wife has never mentioned this topic being discussed in her internal meetings at the company.

Yeah I agree, unless there are other factors she considered.  Or maybe she knew something that we don't.

Or maybe she unloaded all her stocks for now then will wait for the value of ABS-CBNs stock to dip drastically and then thats the time she'll buy into ABS-CBN again.  Maraming gumagawa niyan depende sa condition ng market.  Eh sa ngayon mas malamang bumagsak ang value ng stocks kesa tumaas kaya mas safe mag unload saka bumili ulit pag nag stabilize na.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 06:23 PM »
Just want to share this with you guys. 

AC Nielsen Ratings: Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2005
Top Overall TV Programs in MegaManila:
1.  Save the last dance for me [2] 38.5%
2.  Extra Challenge [7] 35.7%
3.  Krystala [2] 35.5%
4.  Spirits [2] 34.1%
5.  Hiram [2] 32.6%
6.  TV Patrol world [2] 30.7%
7.  24 Oras [7] 30.5%
8.  Mulawin [7] 27.2%
9.  Stairways to heaven [7] 26.2
10. Till death do us part [2] 23.7%
11. Pilipinas Game ka na ba? [2] 23.6%
12. Full House [7] 22.5%
13. Eat Bulaga [7] 22.0%
14. Wowowee [2] 21.69%
15. Rubi [2] 21.62%
16. Search for the star in a million [2] 19.5%
17. Yes yes show [2] 19.0%
18. Nuts entertaiment [7] 18.8%
19. Daisy Siete [7] 18.4%
20. Kapamilya Cinema [2] 18.3%
21. Irene [7] 17.9%
22. Showbiz No. 1 [2] 17.6%
23. MRS [2] 16.8%
24. Homeboy [2] 16.4%
25. Saang sulok ng langit [7] 15.7%
26. Sis [7] 14.9%
27. Gate Keepers [2] 14.4%
28. Slam Dunk [7] 14.2%
29. Joy Ride [7] 13.7%
30. Dolphin Bay [7] 13.4%
31. Mission Odyssey [2] 12.4%
32. American Idol [5] 12.2%
33. Saksi [7] 8.8%
34. Jessica Soho [7] 7.7%
35. News Central [23] 7.34%
36. Special Assignment [2] 7.32%
37. Magandang Umaga Bayan [2] 5.8%
38. Insider [2] 5.4%
39. PCSO [4] 5.3%
40. Unang Hirit [7] 3.5%

Comparative Ratings AC Nielsen
MEGA-MANILA  Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2005

ABS-CBN   Magandang Umaga Bayan   5.8%   
GMA          Unang Hirit                           3.5%

ABS-CBN   Mission Odyssey   12.4%
GMA          Anime?                  TALO

ABS-CBN   Homeboy       16.4% 
GMA          Dolphin Bay   13.4%

ABS-CBN   MRS   16.8%
GMA          Sis     14.9%

ABS-CBN   Rubi    21.62%
GMA          Irene  17.9%

ABS-CBN   Pilipinas GKNB?  23.6%
GMA          Eat Bulaga         22.0%
ABS-CBN   Wowowee         21.69% 

GMA          Daisy Siete                   18.4%
ABS-CBN   Kapamilya Cinema        18.3%   
GMA          Saang sulok ng langit   15.7%

ABS-CBN   Showbiz No. 1   17.6%
GMA          Joy Ride             13.7%

ABS-CBN   Gate Keepers   14.4%
GMA          Anime?             TALO

ABS-CBN   SFASIAM       19.5%
GMA          Slam Dunk    14.2%

ABS-CBN   TV Patrol World    30.7%
GMA          24 Oras               30.5%

GMA          Extra Challenge   35.7%
ABS-CBN   Krystala               35.5% 
ABS-CBN   Spirits                  34.1%

ABS-CBN   Hiram       32.6% 
GMA          Mulawin   27.2%

ABS-CBN   Save the last dance for Me   38.5%   
GMA          Full House                             22.5%

GMA          Stairways to heaven     26.2
ABS-CBN   Till death do us part      23.7%   

ABS-CBN   Yes yes show          19.0%   
GMA          Nuts entertaiment   18.8%

GMA          Saksi      8.8%
ABS-CBN   Insider   5.4%   

GMA          Jessica Soho              7.7%
ABS-CBN   Special Assignment   7.32%

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 06:47 PM »
28 Pesos? Wow.  If I remember correctly ABS-CBN reached a high of 47 per share nung bago palang ito sana binenta na niya that time.    The PSE performed generally well for a couple of days before that Valentine bombing incident and ABS-CBN and it's Mother Company Benpres Holdings performed well also.   Given the fiscal crisis the uncertainty of VAT being approved and the Budget not being past, if I am Charo I would unload all my Stocks and invest it in Real Estate or something more stable against speculative forces or wait.

You're right! Imagine, from a high of 47, my dad-in-law got to buy it at 28 and now it's at 18. Actually, the reason I posted was because I am surprised Charo, who's top management is unloading her stocks. That's unprecedented in ANY publicly listed company. You mentioned insider trading. You may be right. That's why I'm concerned.

The problem with the stock market is no matter how good and stable the company is performing it doesnt follow na maganda na rin automatically ang magiging value ng stocks mo, alam mo naman yan kung nag lalaro ka sa stock market diba.   Saka relative sa time frame yung sinasabing magandang performance eh di naman ibig sabihin buong taon yung icoconsider mo, a few days in the market can very well mean millions of losses or gains.  I'm surprised na hindi mo napuna na gumaganda ang takbo na Phisix before the bombing incident and had to check the website pa, anyway kanya kanya yan.  I only quoted what Charo Santos said and according to her she's playing the Market now that's why she unloaded her stocks.  Anyway when the Value goes down she can always buy back ABS-CBN stocks tumubo pa siya.

Well, technically, if a company is showing positive numbers, stocks are bound to go up. Stocks are a measure of public confidence in a company. Just look at CAP, even if it claims that it is not bankrupt, it has lost public confidence that's why they're in a tight fix right now. People who dabble in stocks don't look at the numbers on a day-to-day basis. There are trends to consider and historical figures that would affect the total value of shares. If you say na "hindi naman buong taon yung icoconsider mo" then you're misinformed. Just look at the GDP, GNP and the other economic indicators. it is measured relative to the previous quarter or the previous year. The same with companies too. Just read ANY year-end report and you'll see the references to the performance from the previous year.  You also mentioned the Valentine's Day bombing, if the time frame is "relative" as you said, then we wouldn't have seen any drastic changes in the stock market the day after the incident, right? But we did.

Oh, and I do know that the Phisix is doing well. I went to the Phisix website to check specifically on ABS-CBN numbers because I don't follow ABS stocks since my family do not own these stocks. I wanted to get accurate and unbiased information, you see. You mentioned that it was doing well, so I had to check it. Malay mo nga naman, it would've helped my wife's family unload their ABS stocks.

If Charo Santos is indeed moving out of ABS-CBN I don't see any reason why she can't keep her stocks or atleast some of it,  unless nasa Company Constitution yun which I doubt.

More power to her then. I don't really care about the network wars anyway. I'm not even concerned about ratings since I don't watch these two channels. Yes, good ratings are an effective way to boost share prices but for some reason, I'm not seeing this with ABS-CBN (again, just look at the surveys you posted and how the company's stocks are performing). The bottomline though is, I'm concerned about the stocks because a lot of money is riding on these things -- not just a monthly salary.

Funny thing is, Ernie L has preserved his sense of humor when talking about ABS-CBN's poor performance in the stock market whenever he talks to my wife and her group.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2005 at 10:36 PM by indie boi »

Offline Excalibur

• Collector
  • And now I wait without withering...
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 08:11 PM »
I'm not talking about TFC here. I’m talking about shows being syndicated internationaly.  Or shows being bought directly by Foreign TV Networks to be shown and marketed to their people.  Like in Africa, Asia and Europe.  There are even clamor from some countries by NON-PINOYS to bring our artist there because of the popularity of some Pinoy programs there. 

that's good news mr. bigboy. more power to the pinoy artists  ;D

Even the movie right of Feng Shui is being sought by Brad Pitt and Jeniffer Aniston's Film Production Company from Star Cinema. 

i'll believe it when i see the ads from hollywood na.  ;)

About TFC not having a competitor before, that’s true because TFC is the one who took the risk and pioneered international Pinoy TV, because of that a lot of Pinoy and even its competitor will reap the benefits of that risk TFC made.

no question about it.
pero eto ang point ko:
how can ABS tell that they are better than another pinoy station
if the international viewers are not yet exposed to their competitor?
para silang nasa boxing ring declaring to everybody they are the champion
pero wala naman silang kalaban.  O0

Of course technical advancement is not the be all and end all of TV Fares, but that is one important and highly appreciated factor by TV viewers.  I’m sure if our Networks do not invest on equipment they will receive additional criticisms from you.   I guess it's a matter of seeing the glass of water as being half full or half empty.  I acknowledge the tremendous shortcomings of the TV industry but I rather appreciate the good things about it and there's a lot of good things happening to it right now infact.

again you are missing the point. i never said it was a bad decision to invest in
equipment. in fact i'm happy that they did.

what i emphasized is that, if the PRIORITY is the technical aspect RATHER THAN the content of the news, that is something to think about.

i also appreciate the good things happening in the local tv industry.
and i express that appreciation by watching those shows.

but the appreciation should not STOP us, viewers,
to EXPRESS OUR DISPLEASURE
over what we believe the tv stations are doing wrong.
(kaya nga nandyan si nestor torre eh.  ;))

As for relying more on the papers for News, that’s the biggest joke.  Papers can be a lot more bias and inaccurate than TV and in many instances that is the case.  At lease on TV you can see news unfolding before your eyes and hear it practically from the horse’s mouth.  The two has its pros and cons we can’t make a sweeping conclusion which of the two is more reliable, for one papers can’t bring us breaking news which is very important if you’re engage in speculative base businesses.

i think using a modulated voice with flashing graphics and upbeat rythms in delivering the news is a BIGGER joke. 

when it comes to witnessing the news, only live coverage will apply in your point.
otherwise, i do believe you are aware of the magic of editing. and whether you like it or not, editing can make the truth a "half truth". but of course, this will also apply to the print media.

if you’re engage in speculative base businesses, yes, live coverage is important.
but you have to remember that this is the age of the web. the gap of the delivery time in giving live feeds between tv & the web is surely becoming smaller.   ;)

by the way, in choosing between
biased "dramatized" news that overloads your senses and
"biased" written news, i'll go for the "biased" written news anytime.

All I'm saying is we pinoy tend to be over critical to our own, we bash everything Pinoy and praise anything foreign, that’s just a general observation.  I’m not saying that you’re like that. 

thanx  8)

I also watch more foreign cable channels than Pinoy, but I do not base my judgment what to watch based on which is local and which is foreign because for me both got trashable programs and sensationalize news and in the same manner both got good points and can be appreciated in different ways. 

parehas tyo ng paniniwala pag datin dito bro. cheers & peace  ;D

ps: ooops, i never called you "bakya" just to be clear.  ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2005 at 08:40 PM by Excalibur »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 01:21 PM »
Charo Santos, the story goes, unloaded all of her shares as soon as she reported to work after a month long vacation abroad. This move of her's, I agree, does not send a good signal to stockholders, fellow ABS-CBN employees and management. More than anything, it would appear as a vote of no confidence on the company she works for. In this post Enron/Worldcom/Tyco business environment, I believe regulators (the SEC or PSE) should look into this.

Or maybe this confirms the "insider" story that I heard... :-X

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #348 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 01:27 PM »
Charo Santos, the story goes, unloaded all of her shares as soon as she reported to work after a month long vacation abroad. This move of her's, I agree, does not send a good signal to stockholders, fellow ABS-CBN employees and management. More than anything, it would appear as a vote of no confidence on the company she works for. In this post Enron/Worldcom/Tyco business environment, I believe regulators (the SEC or PSE) should look into this.

pls share the insider story?  >:D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 01:31 PM »
My lips are sealed... :-X In the proper time, perhaps... ;)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 01:33 PM »

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for enlightening us RMN. I did ask my wife last night about this but surprisingly she said the subject was never mentioned during her meetings yesterday. She did say that some sort of powerplay/reorganization is going on right now in Mother Ignacia so the people there are a bit "on edge."

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 01:34 PM »
My lips are sealed... :-X In the proper time, perhaps... ;)

You can always use the PM function, hehe.  ;)

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #352 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 01:54 PM »
I am an "outsider" but doesn't this smells, sounds and looks like a clear example of "insider trading"  :-X
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2005 at 01:55 PM by jackryan »

Offline marty_e

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 02:29 PM »
"That's unprecedented in ANY publicly listed company." ??? ???

Daily disclosures given by the PSE will invariably include snippets on how many Ayala Corp, BPI, Globe shares JAZA bought or sold, how many Globe shares Mr. Ablaza bought or sold, how many shares of PLDT Mr. Pangilinan bought or sold etc... This is not only PUBLIC information but a requirement to the PSE to disclose share movement of TOP management.

With the advent of shares of stock being used as part of an executive's renumeration, it is inevitable that there will be share movement. These guys have personal needs and will unload as these needs arise. Similarly, as excess funds flow in, they may buy additional shares.

I'm not disputing the fact that Ms. Santos may be prudent in off-loading her shares of stock to "dabble in the stock market" as she was quoted as saying. Should any corporate development be disclosed after the sale of shares and the news MATERIALLY impacts the company's fundamentals, then Ms. Santos may be cited for insider trading. Corporates will have compliance rules on when an exec may buy or sell shares in the market.  I agree though that this does not signal a lot of confidence in the company but heck, anyone who can read a quarterly financial report will know that ABS profit performance and audience share has been sliding does not have to be an insider to know when to bet on another horse... ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 02:58 PM »
"That's unprecedented in ANY publicly listed company." ??? ???

Daily disclosures given by the PSE will invariably include snippets on how many Ayala Corp, BPI, Globe shares JAZA bought or sold, how many Globe shares Mr. Ablaza bought or sold, how many shares of PLDT Mr. Pangilinan bought or sold etc... This is not only PUBLIC information but a requirement to the PSE to disclose share movement of TOP management.

With the advent of shares of stock being used as part of an executive's renumeration, it is inevitable that there will be share movement. These guys have personal needs and will unload as these needs arise. Similarly, as excess funds flow in, they may buy additional shares.

I'm not disputing the fact that Ms. Santos may be prudent in off-loading her shares of stock to "dabble in the stock market" as she was quoted as saying. Should any corporate development be disclosed after the sale of shares and the news MATERIALLY impacts the company's fundamentals, then Ms. Santos may be cited for insider trading. Corporates will have compliance rules on when an exec may buy or sell shares in the market.  I agree though that this does not signal a lot of confidence in the company but heck, anyone who can read a quarterly financial report will know that ABS profit performance and audience share has been sliding does not have to be an insider to know when to bet on another horse... ;D

Quite true. And I agree with the points you raised -- most especially the quarterly financial reports of ABS-CBN.

Share movement of top management is usually done by exercising their stock options. But I have yet to hear a top executive unloading ALL of his or her stocks. Of course, we really wouldn't know if Ms. Santos really sold all of her ABS stocks or just sold some as part of a personal business strategy.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 04:28 PM »
War in the Living Room
By Carmela Fonbuena
Newsbreak Staff Writer

ARE YOU kapuso or kapamilya?
In these days, you can’t afford to be both. Caught in the fierce battle between the two giant TV networks are the viewers who have decided to take sides. And how!

Things were less complicated then. Fans were loyal to the celebrities, not to the stations that hosted them. In the heyday of the film industry, for example, movie fans followed Nora or Vilma wherever the two went or whichever TV channel they appeared in.

Today, the mass branding of GMA-7 (Kapuso) and ABS-CBN (Kapamilya) is somehow pitting audiences against each other.

Even the rumored transfer of an ABS-CBN star to the rival GMA-7 network lands on the headlines of the Lifestyle pages and merits loud denials on prime time by the concerned TV station. And when former “kapuso” (GMA-7) teen celebrity Toni Gonzaga jumped to “kapamilya” ABS-CBN, she found herself profusely apologizing to her “kapuso” fans in—of all forums—ABS-CBN’s “The Buzz” talk show. Gonzaga had been a mainstay in GMA-7 regular programs such as its noontime show, “Eat Bulaga.”

One’s choice station has already caused heavy traffic on the Internet. Is GMA-7 the number one TV station nowadays? Bloggers are deeply divided. Read what one kapamilya has to say about the issue in www.pinoyexchange.com: “GMA-7 has no right whatsoever to say that they are the no.1 network since the surveys issued by you-know-what are UNRELIABLE and BIASED. Why do I say so? It’s because the surveys are only conducted in Metro Manila.”

This prompted a terse reply from a kapuso: “Basta KAPUSO is NO.1 sa masa SIGURO pang mayaman lang ang KAPAMILYA (SIGURO LANG).”

Discussions range from putdowns of the rival programs to the loyalties of the stations’ contract celebrities.

What’s all this branding about, anyway?

GMA-7 President Manuel Quioge told NEWSBREAK that “kapuso” was introduced in 2002 to build viewer loyalty to their station. At that time, they were gearing to compete head-on against the ratings leader ABS-CBN, which introduced “Kapamilya” in the same year.

Quioge explained: “To achieve this, we had to build an emotional relationship with the viewers. Our shows may be good, but if we don’t have their loyalty, they can always jump to the other station after that show.”

Entertainment shows began using the slogan, and because it clicked, this soon rubbed off on the news programs. GMA-7’s news anchors and reporters started using the slogan daily in their news reports. In the case of GMA-7 news anchor Mike Enriquez, he even drags the kapuso slogan into his product endorsements of, say, Astring-O-Sol mouthwash.

ABS-CBN, however, chose to tweak its brand slogan for its news programs. While kapamilya refers to the whole station, news anchors and reporters have adopted a more “global” slogan in the news: “Patrol ng Pilipino” as against GMA-7’s “Ang inyong Kapuso.”

This was followed by a noticeable change in the way reporters act in the field while breaking the news. A “kapuso” reporter would be seen hugging a typhoon victim, while a “kapamilya” reporter would be shown on TV distributing relief goods in poor communities.

There’s basically nothing wrong with a reporter showing empathy, according to journalism ethics professor Luis V. Teodoro of the University of the Philippines. “Even in print reporting, you have to adopt a certain persona in interviewing somebody to be able to get the information.”

However, it’s one thing to be sympathetic, it’s another to make a big deal out of it. “Putting reporters in the report is self-serving. It makes the reporters the focus of the event,” Teodoro said.

Last year’s media coverage of the Quezon typhoon disaster, for instance, sparked debates among practitioners because reporters were shown giving away relief goods to families.

“We saw that the people were suffering. That is why we wanted to help as individuals,” ABS-CBN reporter Jay Ruiz said. “The Quezon coverage was a special case,” he explained, in response to criticism that they went overboard.

Luis Alejandro, CEO of ABS-CBN, said: “It was being humane about it. That was not staged.”

Both ABS-CBN and GMA-7 ran a telethon on the Quezon typhoon disaster. This helped the two companies raise funds for their respective foundations.

“Beyond funding, our responsibility is to make sure that through media we continue to remind people about this program so that we can continue to have sponsors for them. Total money is close to P100 million. One sheik gave $50,000. That to me is the ultimate test of how viewers look at ABS-CBN outside of the ratings. Would you give your money to somebody you don’t trust? GMA-7 did not get that,” Alejandro said.

News organizations are certainly not banned from getting involved in civic projects. “But if it is done on air, then this leads us to the question of what the motives are. That will lead you inevitably to [the companies’] commercial interest. In the context of the ratings war, you know that it’s all about business,” Teodoro said.

In the end, there seems to be no debate on the issue of helping out during disasters. But to Teodoro, the best assistance that any news organization can provide the public still comes in the form of stories—stories “that inform people about the causes of disaster and what can be done to prevent future recurrences.”

Send feedback to [email protected]

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 04:32 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2005 at 04:35 PM by RMN »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 08:37 PM »
A very well-written article. Isn't Chai Hofilena a part of ABS-CBN?

I laud Mr. Alejandro's vision for ABS-CBN. Hopefully, he can really follow through.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 08:09 PM »
SEVEN !!!

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Mar 09, 2005 at 01:12 PM »
Now showing: Family feud on GMA Network
Posted: 11:17 AM | Mar. 09, 2005

Victor Agustin
Inquirer News Service

printable version email a story write the editor feedback

UNRESOLVED boardroom issues between the related Gozon and Jimenez families, which could lead to another management shakeup, has prompted GMA Network Inc. to postpone indefinitely its already delayed initial public offering (IPO) of stock.

"The majority owners of the network wanted to give the public the chance to become shareholders of a company which engages in public service, through the IPO, without losing management control of the company," GMA Network said in a statement.

The putative P9-billion IPO offering would be on hold "until certain issues between the majority and minority shareholders are satisfactorily resolved."

Despite the corporate tone of the statement, only three individuals actually control the country's leading television network: chairman/president/CEO Felipe Gozon with his 30 percent, his brother-in-law Menardo Jimenez whom he ousted in December 2000 with another 30 percent, and former Rep. Gilberto Duavit, controlling the swing 35 percent block.

As late as September 2004, when GMA Network was on a pre-IPO publicity blitz, Gozon sounded confident that he would retain control of the network despite a plan for each bloc to divest proportionately; after all, it was on Gozon's watch that GMA Network's fortunes rose to overtake the erstwhile No. 1 moneymaker, ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp.

GMA Network, Gozon said at that time, was planning to offer about 20-30 percent of its stock, both locally and through American depository receipts.

"We will have at least 50+1 percent stake (post-IPO)," Gozon was quoted as saying. "I will not lose control of the company."

"If I were Nards Jimenez, I'd be very happy and ecstatic, because the market value of the whole company and his stocks have now doubled under my administration," he added.

Though he has kept himself inaccessible to the media, Jimenez has been heard complaining to his close friends about his sudden fall from grace.

To keep himself from moping after his ouster, Jimenez joined ABC Channel 5 owner Antonio Cojuangco Jr. and former internal revenue commissioner Dakila Fonacier to establish a network of theater-anchored strip malls in select areas nationwide. That venture has yet to meet shareholder expectations.

Although he has resigned from the GMA Network board, Jimenez, who is married to a sister of Gozon's, still wants to push through with the IPO, but apparently under certain conditions.

According to the grapevine, the two Jimenez children in the board, Laura Jimenez-Westfall and Joel Marcelo Jimenez, submitted a list of shareholder demands at the last board meeting, prompting their chairman-uncle, who was said to have been surprised by the last-minute change of mind, to suspend the listing indefinitely.

[Editor's note: INQ7.net is a joint venture of the Philippine Daily Inquirer and GMA Network Inc.]