Author Topic: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?  (Read 198561 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #360 on: Mar 18, 2005 at 03:59 PM »
Fellow Shareholders,

I cannot begin to explain how exciting it is to introduce to you and help you get to
know better the people who make up the ABS-CBN Family.
Many of you know us from our products. The daily soap operas on television, the live
news reports on cable, the radio commentaries as you drive to work, the movies,
magazines, and CDs that vie for your free time on weekends.
But those of us who work here know that ABS-CBN is more than the sum of these
products.

No top-rated show, no certified box-office hit, no multi-platinum record, is made
without a group of creative individuals working together, often as one team (though
sometimes agreeably not), but always passionately committed to creating the best
content they can produce.

ABS-CBN is people — youthful, dynamic, imaginative people.

On a typical day in ABS-CBN (and there are no typical days in ABS-CBN), we argue about programming directions, plan the logistics of nationwide news coverage, coordinate cross-synergy promotions, and synchronize multi-channel sales strategies.
On one end of the globe, we plan the worldwide premiere of the latest cinematic
offering of our homegrown stars; while on the other end, we try out new ring tones and downloads (perhaps the theme song and poster of the very same movie) that we hope will appeal to teenagers of all ages.

ABS-CBN is people – brilliant, aggressive, adventurous people

The best and the brightest people from all walks of life converge in ABS-CBN. Here
their energies are unbound, free to create content across all our different media
platforms, supported by the latest in technology, and guided by broadcast and
entertainment veterans who have built the industry but remain young at heart.
In the following pages, you will meet just a few of the individuals that keep ABS-CBN
fresh and full of life. (And as you will see in the financial review elsewhere in this
annual report, also keep your Company strong, profitable, and growing.)

I have often said I have the best job in the world. As you go through these pages, I
think you will know why.

We are ABS-CBN.
We are the people working for you.

EUGENIO L. LOPEZ III
Chairman and CEO
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2005 at 02:57 PM by RMN »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #361 on: Mar 18, 2005 at 05:47 PM »
It's from the ABS-CBN financial report. Someone very, very close to me conceptualized the theme for that letter and the introduction for the report.  :) 

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #362 on: Mar 21, 2005 at 02:52 PM »
It's from the ABS-CBN financial report. Someone very, very close to me conceptualized the theme for that letter and the introduction for the report.  :) 

I liked the over-all concept of their annual report for 2003 and the theme of Gabby's letter. Does this mean that CEO's never actually  write their letter to shareholders? :D
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005 at 03:20 PM by RMN »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Mar 21, 2005 at 08:38 PM »
I liked the over-all concept of their annual report for 2003 and the theme of Gabby's letter. Does this mean that CEO's never actually  write their letter to shareholders?

LOL! CEOs rarely, if ever, write anything on their own.  :)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Mar 21, 2005 at 11:34 PM »
I liked the over-all concept of their annual report for 2003 and the theme of Gabby's letter. Does this mean that CEO's never actually  write their letter to shareholders?

Sa dami ng creative writers sa ABS-CBN why would Gabby bother writing that himself. lol

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Apr 13, 2005 at 08:53 PM »
But Gabby will have to approve the draft before he issues it. He may have added a few thoughts himself but in the end, it is still his message.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Apr 14, 2005 at 03:16 PM »
There's a group who brainstorms and then one person will make a proposal. Based on that proposal the head of the project will approve it. Only then will a draft be written. When an acceptable draft has been made it is presented to Gabby -- who approves it.

Offline john7

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Apr 21, 2005 at 08:33 PM »
pls vote if you're kapuso or kapamilya.....
 >:D

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 10:53 AM »
I prefer GMA over ABS-CBN.

And in less than two weeks time, GMA will invade Cebu with a barrage of entertainment activities, shows, concerts and even a fun run sports event! ABS-CBN is feeling the heat and sweating, they are suddenly forced to bring their stars and activities to Cebu the same days GMA conduct their activities!

Cebu is suddenly the biggest focus on the GMA and ABS-CBN war. Cebuanos will be proud!

And by the time the big Cebu weekend (April 29 to May 1) ends, I believe GMA will eventually overtake ABS-CBN for the Cebu market of televiewers. ABS-CBN is still number 1 in Cebu but its lead is crumbling as we speak.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 04:30 PM »
Ritchie correction lang, it was ABS-CBN's idea to do a series of shows in Cebu, it was planned way ahead of GMAs.  Infact it was even announced in Cebu and Manila and it was even marketed to our local office in Cebu.  GMA as usual took the counter offensive and launch their own half-baked series of activities in Cebu. 

I agree, Cebu is now becoming the new battleground for the Network Wars, but sa totoo lang napakalakas ng hold ng ABS-CBN sa Cebu nakakahiya ang ratings ng GMA as compared to ABS-CBN sa Cebu, this is also true for the rest of the country.  Infact in other areas in the Philippines ABS-CBN rates as high as 70% against GMA's 10 percent or even lower.  Mega Manila lang ang kuha ng GMA pero mukhang di pa mag-tatagal.  By the year end kuha na ulit ng ABS-CBN ang Mega Manila hehehe. :)

Industry people naman knows wala pa talagang napapatunayan ang GMA masyado lang ang ingay nila because of their planned IPO na di natuloy.  ABS-CBN is ABS-CBN, GMA can only dream about reaching the height of ABS-CBNs success. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2005 at 12:08 AM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 07:57 AM »
Sana magkaroon na ng GMA dito sa amin.  :)
There's something to learn everyday

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 11:02 AM »
Ritchie correction lang, it was ABS-CBN's idea to do a series of shows in Cebu, it was planned way ahead of GMAs.  Infact it was even announced in Cebu and Manila and it was even marketed to our local office in Cebu.  GMA as usual took the counter offensive and launch their own half-baked series of activities in Cebu. 

I agree, Cebu is now becoming the new battleground for the Network Wars, but sa totoo lang napakalakas ng hold ng ABS-CBN sa Cebu nakakahiya ang ratings ng GMA as compared to ABS-CBN sa Cebu, this is also true for the rest of the country.  Infact in other areas in the Philippines ABS-CBN rates as high as 70% against GMA's 10 percent or even lower.  Mega Manila lang ang kuha ng GMA pero mukhang di pa mag-tatagal.  By the year end kuha na ulit ng ABS-CBN ang Mega Manila hehehe. :)

Industry people naman knows wala pa talagang napapatunayan ang GMA masyado lang ang ingay nila because of their planned IPO na di natuloy.  ABS-CBN is ABS-CBN, GMA can only dream about reaching the height of ABS-CBNs success. :)

Whatever whatever.

Still nobody's stopping me from bringing people to GMA's Cebu activities. Am I connected or part of GMA? Hell no! I'm a consumer just making choices. My friends and I will not only join the May 1 Fun Run (link http://www.igma.tv/funrun/ ), we'll be watching their shows as well. GMA's activities alone will make our trip and stay to Cebu worth the cost.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 01:11 PM »
As if their organization isn't bloated already as it is, ABS-CBN appoints Laurenti Dyiogi (sp?), tv director and SCQ judge, as Vice-President for TV Production. Don't ask me what he can contribute. ::)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Apr 24, 2005 at 10:28 PM »
Just want to share this:

AGB PROVINCIAL AUDIENCE SHARES
January - March 2005

BACOLOD
ABS-CBN - 90%
GMA - 4%

LEGAZPI
ABS-CBN - 89%
GMA - 9%

GENERAL SANTOS
ABS-CBN - 87%
GMA - 11%

NAGA
ABS-CBN - 86%
GMA - 9%

LEGAZPI
ABS-CBN - 86%
GMA - 10%

ZAMBOANGA
ABS-CBN - 75%
GMA - 20%

BAGUIO
ABS-CBN - 68%
GMA - 29%

DAVAO
ABS-CBN - 63%
GMA - 17%

CAGAYAN DE ORO
ABS-CBN - 55%
GMA - 35%

CEBU
ABS-CBN - 50%
GMA - 28%

LUZON URBAN AREAS
ABS-CBN - 49%
GMA - 38%

DAGUPAN
ABS-CBN  - 37%
GMA - 27%

As of now GMA is still rating higher in Mega-Manila but not as high as what ABS-CBN is getting from the rest of the country.  If ABS-CBN management can pull their acts together, by year end mababawi nila Mega Manila. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2005 at 10:35 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline obet2

• Apprentice
  • LOVE GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: May 10, 2005 at 12:32 PM »
best sa akin ang kapamilya........ch.2      ;D :D 8)
ako'y isang pinoy,sa puso't diwa...

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: May 12, 2005 at 08:39 PM »
Basta sa Cebu City, hindi kailangan ng ABS mag-pa Libre Sakay para "humakot" ng manonood. Wala ring libreng Lunch, pero dumog pa rin ang tao.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: May 12, 2005 at 08:44 PM »
Number 1 din pong Pinoy Network sa buong mundo ang ABS CBN sapagkat ito ay maaaring mapanood sa Europa, Gitnang Silangan, Australia, North America at Japan. Kailangan mo lang ng satellite dish at subscription, may TFC atbp. ka na. Malayo pa ang tatahakin ng kalaban bago nito marating ang dinaanan ng TFC. ;)

Just want to share this:

AGB PROVINCIAL AUDIENCE SHARES
January - March 2005

BACOLOD
ABS-CBN - 90%
GMA - 4%

LEGAZPI
ABS-CBN - 89%
GMA - 9%

GENERAL SANTOS
ABS-CBN - 87%
GMA - 11%

NAGA
ABS-CBN - 86%
GMA - 9%

LEGAZPI
ABS-CBN - 86%
GMA - 10%

ZAMBOANGA
ABS-CBN - 75%
GMA - 20%

BAGUIO
ABS-CBN - 68%
GMA - 29%

DAVAO
ABS-CBN - 63%
GMA - 17%

CAGAYAN DE ORO
ABS-CBN - 55%
GMA - 35%

CEBU
ABS-CBN - 50%
GMA - 28%

LUZON URBAN AREAS
ABS-CBN - 49%
GMA - 38%

DAGUPAN
ABS-CBN  - 37%
GMA - 27%

As of now GMA is still rating higher in Mega-Manila but not as high as what ABS-CBN is getting from the rest of the country.  If ABS-CBN management can pull their acts together, by year end mababawi nila Mega Manila. :)

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: May 13, 2005 at 10:58 AM »
From Daily Tribune

ABS-CBN plunges deeper in red with P114M Q1 loss

Lopez-controlled broadcast firm ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. suffered the worst quarter in the history of the company since it went public more than 10 years ago as it posted a net loss of P114.28 million during the first quarter of the year from a net income of P124.09 million in the same period last year.

In a media briefing, ABS-CBN said its earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) declined to P638.79 million from P873.59 million.

Total revenues, consisting of gross airtime, other broadcast- related revenues, and net sales and services declined slightly to P3.40 billion from P3.44 billion. Airtime and other broadcasting-related revenues decreased by 7 percent to P2.25 billion as Mega Manila (Metro Manila plus Cavite, Laguna, Bulacan and Rizal) Channel 2 household ratings decreased to 14 percent in the first quarter from 16 percent last year.

Other broadcast-related revenues, consisting of short message service-based revenues, decreased by 10 percent to P66 million with a decline in program promos during the quarter.

Net sales and services grew 12 percent to P1.15 billion due to the continued growth of its international unit, ABS-CBN Global. ABS-CBN Global contributed P910 million to net sales, an increase of 29 percent. Revenue growth came from an increase in subscriber base of 25 percent to 1.76 million viewers as of March 31, 2005.

Other subsidiaries' net sales and services decreased by 25 percent to P240 million due to lower revenues of ABS-CBN Films, which released only one movie (Dreamboy) in the quarter compared to two movies (Milan and Otso Otso) in the same period last year.

Operating expenses grew 11 percent to P2.95 billion from P2.67 billion. Production cost, which accounted for 44 percent of total cash expenses, increased by 15 percent to P1.04 billion. General and administrative expenses increased by 8 percent to P787 million. Cost of sales and services increased by 14 percent to P564 million, while cost margins increased slightly to 49 percent from 48 percent. Non-cash operating expenses increased by four percent to P554 million from P534 million.

According to ABS-CBN president and chief operating officer Luis Alejandro, the net loss practically caught them by surprise, although he stressed they aim to return to profitability as soon as possible.

“We were not prepared for this, and we want to return to profitability immediately,” he said.

In a memo to all ABS-CBN employees, Alejandro laid down three initiatives the company will undertake to arrest this financial skid: recover primetime ratings, optimize production costs and margins, and reduce general and administrative expenses.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: May 13, 2005 at 06:17 PM »
Ok lang yan anyway First Quarter lang yan.  Sa tingin ko ABS-CBN would still be profitable for the whole year.  Unlike before GMA incurred loses for the whole year not only for a quarter and not only for 1 year.  At naka-ilang strike at welga ang employee ng GMA dati.  I still believe that ABS-CBN is in a much better financial position now than where GMA is before.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: May 13, 2005 at 09:28 PM »
FMG, BALIK ABS-CBN AS CONSULTANT - MGA PAGBABAGONG MAGAGANAP
Pilipino STAR Ngayon 05/10/2005

Pinabalik ni Mr. Gabby Lopez Jr, Chairman at CEO ng ABS-CBN ang `utak' ng kanyang kumpanya na si Mr. Freddie M. Garcia bilang consultant at umupo na ito last week lang.

Ideya ni Mr. Garcia ang pagbabalik ng phenomenal hit nilang Meteor Garden na ikinasikat ng F4 na nag-umpisa na kahapon, Lunes bago mag-TV Patrol World at sinibak ang Video Joking.

Matatandaang ang Meteor Garden ang nagpabagsak sa ilang programa ng GMA 7 two years ago at naniniwala si FMG (tawag kay Mr. Garcia) na hindi pa rin nakakalimutan ng mga Pinoy ang F4.

Samantala, sa nakaraang Mancom o Management Committee Meeting ng mga bossing ay napag-usapan ito na ibalik si Korina Sanchez sa TV Patrol World dahil mas hinahanap pa rin daw siya ng viewers dahil simula raw nung umupo si Karen Davila ay hindi na nakaangat pa ang news program ng Dos.

Dagdag pa na ang TV Patrol ang flag ship ni FMG kaya't nailing daw ito sa sinapit ng naturang programa.

In fairness, okey naman daw ang performance ng Presidente ng ABS-CBN na si Mr. Cito Alejandro lalo na sa mga empleyado nila, kaso may mga bagay pa raw itong hindi niya makapa kaya't muling kinuha si FMG.

"Iba kasi ang pinanggalingan ni Cito. Mas malaki ang ABS CBN kaysa sa mga hawak niyang ketchup product," dagdag pa ng taga-Dos.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is a very good news to all ABS-CBN Fans and Stock Holders

Offline stac

• Collector
  • #rm -rf /
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: May 13, 2005 at 09:46 PM »
GMA Kapuso here  8) ;D :D

sa poll dito sa pinoydvd.com lamang kaming mga kapuso:

as of 9:45PM

ABS-CBN - Kapamilya   7 (33.3%)
GMA - Kapuso   14 (66.7%)

Total Votes: 20

;D ;D ;D

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: May 14, 2005 at 01:48 PM »
GMA Network posts P400-M net income in 1st qtr
By Zinnia B. Dela Peña
The Philippine Star 05/14/2005

Boosted by the continued rise in its viewership ratings, GMA Network Inc. reported a 62-percent surge in its first quarter net income this year to P400 million from P246 million a year earlier.

GMA registered gross revenues of P1.9 billion, up 27 percent from P1.5 billion a year ago. This was despite the absence of political advertisements that helped pump up the broadcasting firm’s revenues last year.

Operating expenses, however, rose 12 percent to P898 million largely due to increased salaries and production costs as GMA continued to dominate the viewership ratings in mega Manila.

Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA) stood at P770 million, 42 percent higher than a year ago.

Commenting on the network’s impressive performance, GMA chairman and president Felipe L. Gozon said: "I am pleased that despite the traditionally weak first quarter financial performance of the industry, we were able to generate that much profit."

GMA has managed to maintain its lead in TV ratings in all day parts, including the highly important primetime block. As of end-March this year, GMA has posted total day ratings of 19.5 percent as against its main competitor’s 14 percent, according to data from research firm AGB Philippines.

GMA launched two new "super soaps" in April and May that charged up the network’s performance in primetime TV ratings. "Darna"registered the highest rating for a pilot episode in Philippine primetime TV history while "Encantadia" has consistently posted phenomenal ratings since it began airing last May 2.

To increase its viewership, GMA is set to embark on a provincial campaign following its successful trip to Cebu recently.

Gozon said since GMA has commissioned its new antenna system in Cebu November 2004, the TV station’s signal has been very competitive with or even superior to its rival’s.

Gozon added that the network’s Cebu studio complex is also being rehabilitated. "GMA’s Cebu TV studio facility has been augmented with professional studio cameras," he said.

In Davao, GMA has completed and commissioned last January its new solid-state VHF transmitter which resulted in a much stronger signal in the area.

GMA is also preparing to construct a TV station in Bacolod City after having been granted a television frequency by the National Telecommunications Commission.

GMA has also signed an agreement with Comcast, the biggest cable operator in the US, for the carriage of GMA Pinoy TV in the United States. GMA’s international channel is now available in Japan and Guam.

The company’s subsidiary, Citynet, Inc., is currently preparing for the programming line-up for Channel 11, which would provide an additional platform for GMA Network to showcase its programs and talents.

GMA through film outfit GMA Films Inc., is likewise producing a new movie starring its young stars scheduled for showing in a few months. This would be followed by other movie projects within the year.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: May 15, 2005 at 12:31 AM »
GMA Network maintains lead in overall TV ratings

GMA Network leads the competition in combined Mega Manila, Metro Cebu, Davao City and Dagupan City total day channel ratings, based on a recent survey from Nielsen Media Philippines.

Nielsen data for April 2005 shows GMA Network posting a total day combined market TV household rating of 14 percent against ABS-CBN’s 11 percent. The same data source also shows GMA ahead of its competitor across all dayparts.

GMA registered average ratings of 7.8 percent against ABS-CBN’s 7.1 percent in the morning, 13.5 percent versus ABS-CBN’s 12.3 percent in the afternoon, and 19.9 percent against ABS-CBN’s 14.6 percent in the evening. Twelve GMA shows were listed among the top 15 programs in April.

The combined market channel ratings are based on the weighted averages of Nielsen ratings in Mega Manila, Metro Cebu, Davao City, and Dagupan City.

Last April 20, GMA’s closest rival, ABS-CBN, released several charts and tables to media containing ratings data based on weighted averages of Nielsen ratings in Mega Manila and key cities. The data presented by ABS-CBN showed they were ahead of GMA.

A closer examination of the weighted average ratings released by ABS-CBN, however, shows that the set of weights applied in Mega Manila and the key cities approximated the percent share distribution of NSOs 2000 Urban Philippines Household Population with Metro Cebu, Davao City and Dagupan City getting much bigger weights than their actual share based on TV household populations across the combined survey areas of Nielsen.

According to GMA Network Vice President for Research Sheila Tan, a basic flaw identified in the weights applied by ABS-CBN is the fact that Dagupan City, Metro Cebu, and Davao City, on their own, can not be considered good representations of Urban Balance Luzon, Urban Visayas, and Urban Mindanao. "Previous rating surveys have shown that viewership preferences in cities even within the same region can vary to a large degree, thus, it is not safe to assume that viewership of a sample within a single city can accurately reflect the viewership of the entire Balance Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao," Tan said.

Tan also noted that another problem with applying weights based on NSO’s Population Distribution on TV ratings is the fact that NSO’s household population figures include both TV-owning and non-TV-owning households. "Due to the nature of the (TV viewership) data being generated, TV ratings surveys do not include non-TV-owning households as part of their sample, coverage, or projections. Since TV ownership levels across cities or regions vary significantly, this introduces more bias to such weighting system," Tan said.

GMA Network asked Nielsen Media Philippines to use their global standard procedure or formula when combining ratings from several areas or markets to generate the weighted ratings across the same areas presented by ABS-CBN. Nielsen generated the data via a built-in feature on weighted ratings in their multi-market TV Dynamix and the standard weighing system applied by their software was anchored on TV household populations among the markets covered.

According to Nielsen, Mega Manila accounted for 87 percent of the total TV household population in areas covered by their surveys, while Metro Cebu, Davao City, and Dagu-pan City accounted for 6 percent, 6 percent, and 1 percent, respectively.

GMA Network countered ABS-CBNs claim that it has maintained its significant advantage over GMA across News and Public Affairs programs citing an SWS survey done March 21-29, 2004. The survey, according to GMA, is over a year old and as shown by the more recent Nielsen combined market ratings and AGB Phils. Mega Manila survey, GMAs News and Public Affairs programs have long taken the lead.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: May 15, 2005 at 01:59 AM »
ABS-CBN Beefs Up Regional Programming

For 15 years, ABS-CBN has always been the number one network in the
provincial areas especially in the Visayan and Mindanao regions. In
Cebu alone, ABS-CBN has ruled its airwaves for 15 years, making it
a "kapamilya province!"

Charo Santos-Concio, ABS-CBN's Executive Vice-President and TV-
Entertainment Head, attributes this to the strong affinity they've
built with its regional viewers in the past 15 years. She cites as an
example, the high-quality TV shows they've brought to Cebu. More than
that, they also produced local TV programs like the soap opera "For
Life" and a local version of "TV Patrol" to mention a few, that local
residents relate well to.

This is also the main reason why ABS-CBN held the very
successful "Daghang Salamat Cebu" a couple of weeks ago. As Charo
explained, it was their way of thanking the Cebuanos for their
wholehearted support and for making them an integral part of their
viewing habits.

"We've been bringing our shows to different parts of the region every
year. But this year, we have made bigger plans because we want to
give back to our audience and fans who have supported us for the past
15 years. Next will be Davao, Iloilo and Bacolod," expressed Charo.

ABS-CBN sources estimated that more than 40,000 people attended both
the live performances of "ASAP" at the Ayala Mall in Cebu and "ASAP
Fanatic" at the Plaza Independencia.

"I was very happy with the warm response of the Cebuanos. It reminded
me of my younger years when I also went on a parade for my movies
like `Julian Makabayan' and when I was in a number of Santacruzan
events," shared Charo who, with other ABS-CBN celebrities were
overwhelmed by the Cebuanos' warm appreciation.

Though "Daghang Cebu" went head on with their rival network's Cebu
celebration, Charo did not lose her optimism. She called it "the
function of competition" which for her was a healthy occurrence.

"Competition always brings out the best in all of us. We plan to be
bigger than usual. In the past year, we always bring our programs to
the provinces but the scale is not as grand than the one we are
having this summer...I think both parties are challenged to come out
with better programs for the viewers," Charo remarked.

Setting the pace for the aggressive network competition, she added
that they are beefing up their local shows in their respective
regions. Chit Guerrero has been designated to head the Regional
Production group since they plan to develop, produce and launch more
local shows like teleseryes.

As she reiterated, their success was not just pegged on the well-
produced shows they bring to the regions but more on their unwavering
relationship with the viewers and their acceptance. One such example
was "Going Bulilit's" infectious success. From Mega-Manila viewers,
it has now made its way to the Visayan and Mindanao regions. Its
success even spawned plans to produce and develop "Going Bulilit" in
different regions like Cebu.

"Lahat naman ng mga taga-probinsya katulad ko rin, ang dream
makarating sa Manila. So we want to put talent centers also in Cebu
and Davao. `Going Bulilit' is number one in these regions so we are
going to launch `Going Bulilit Cebu' and Going Bulilit Davao' because
maraming batang gustong mag-artista. Being a star now is really like
becoming a doctor or lawyer in the past. And television brought this
about, making dreams possible," she explained.

In the near future, Charo predicts that viewers will be more
selective of shows they would invest their time on to watch. This is
why their network is continuously creating shows that will be worth
their viewers' time. More than quality, they are also focusing on
content that will give their viewers added value while watching. They
have also implemented a rule not to air any indecent segments or
shows like the celebrity sex video scandals.

With this in mind, Charo plays a mother who gives tough love. Her
management style includes giving her people space to be more creative
in developing shows. But she always keeps a watchful eye on them and
tells on them immediately if she didn't like what was shown on
television.

"Kawawa naman ang mga taong nabi-biktima," she said. "Let's be guided
by the biblical phrase `What does it profit a man if he gains the
whole world but loses his soul.' What do we have to gain if we have
all the ratings in the world, but we hurt innocent people. We just
have to be guided by that value. When we started, Deo Edrinal knows
this. I already told them during `Showbiz Linggo' na huwag kaming
manakit ng kapwa!"

She added that people can just talk about how good shows can be
without maligning people. She'd rather have TV shows that inspire
people especially at a time when there's so much problems and pains
that plague Filipinos. Such show for her is Boy Abunda's "Homeboy"
which she watches regularly even while she's putting on make-up.

"It is a very engaging show for me and I really love it. I
continually learn from other people. Nakakadagdag sa aking kaalaman
at sa aking kalooban yung mga kwento and learnings ng ibang tao!"

This quarter, in its bid to come out with beautiful shows, ABS-CBN is
launching a number of primetime shows like "Ikaw Ang Lahat Sa Akin"
which stars Claudine Barretto, Diether Ocampo, Angelica Dela Cruz,
John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo, the magical fantaserye "Kampanerang
Kuba" which stars Anne Curtis, Jericho Rosales' "Panday" and Maricel
Soriano's "Vietnam Rose." After a long hiatus from television, Sharon
Cuneta will also have her own new show soon!

"There's so much poverty and problems in the world, that's why we
should always continue to inspire!"

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: May 15, 2005 at 02:28 AM »
GMA Network maintains lead in overall TV ratings

GMA Network leads the competition in combined Mega Manila, Metro Cebu, Davao City and Dagupan City total day channel ratings, based on a recent survey from Nielsen Media Philippines.

Nielsen data for April 2005 shows GMA Network posting a total day combined market TV household rating of 14 percent against ABS-CBN’s 11 percent. The same data source also shows GMA ahead of its competitor across all dayparts.

GMA registered average ratings of 7.8 percent against ABS-CBN’s 7.1 percent in the morning, 13.5 percent versus ABS-CBN’s 12.3 percent in the afternoon, and 19.9 percent against ABS-CBN’s 14.6 percent in the evening. Twelve GMA shows were listed among the top 15 programs in April.

The combined market channel ratings are based on the weighted averages of Nielsen ratings in Mega Manila, Metro Cebu, Davao City, and Dagupan City.

Last April 20, GMA’s closest rival, ABS-CBN, released several charts and tables to media containing ratings data based on weighted averages of Nielsen ratings in Mega Manila and key cities. The data presented by ABS-CBN showed they were ahead of GMA.

A closer examination of the weighted average ratings released by ABS-CBN, however, shows that the set of weights applied in Mega Manila and the key cities approximated the percent share distribution of NSOs 2000 Urban Philippines Household Population with Metro Cebu, Davao City and Dagupan City getting much bigger weights than their actual share based on TV household populations across the combined survey areas of Nielsen.

According to GMA Network Vice President for Research Sheila Tan, a basic flaw identified in the weights applied by ABS-CBN is the fact that Dagupan City, Metro Cebu, and Davao City, on their own, can not be considered good representations of Urban Balance Luzon, Urban Visayas, and Urban Mindanao. "Previous rating surveys have shown that viewership preferences in cities even within the same region can vary to a large degree, thus, it is not safe to assume that viewership of a sample within a single city can accurately reflect the viewership of the entire Balance Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao," Tan said.

Tan also noted that another problem with applying weights based on NSO’s Population Distribution on TV ratings is the fact that NSO’s household population figures include both TV-owning and non-TV-owning households. "Due to the nature of the (TV viewership) data being generated, TV ratings surveys do not include non-TV-owning households as part of their sample, coverage, or projections. Since TV ownership levels across cities or regions vary significantly, this introduces more bias to such weighting system," Tan said.

GMA Network asked Nielsen Media Philippines to use their global standard procedure or formula when combining ratings from several areas or markets to generate the weighted ratings across the same areas presented by ABS-CBN. Nielsen generated the data via a built-in feature on weighted ratings in their multi-market TV Dynamix and the standard weighing system applied by their software was anchored on TV household populations among the markets covered.

According to Nielsen, Mega Manila accounted for 87 percent of the total TV household population in areas covered by their surveys, while Metro Cebu, Davao City, and Dagu-pan City accounted for 6 percent, 6 percent, and 1 percent, respectively.

GMA Network countered ABS-CBNs claim that it has maintained its significant advantage over GMA across News and Public Affairs programs citing an SWS survey done March 21-29, 2004. The survey, according to GMA, is over a year old and as shown by the more recent Nielsen combined market ratings and AGB Phils. Mega Manila survey, GMAs News and Public Affairs programs have long taken the lead.

The FACT Remains na sa lahat ng Probinsya outside Mega-Manila lampaso ang GMA.  Kahit anong formula ang gawin ng GMA because of sour graping they cannot change the fact that all over the Philippines iisa lang ang hawak nila Mega Manila lang, the rest of the Philippines eh namamayagpag ang ABS-CBN.

Its very unfair na imarginalize ng GMA ang lahat ng probinsya.  Its like saying na bale wala ang Ratings from Cebu, Davao atbp.  They lump all the provinces together at ginawang maliit na parte lang ng Mega Manila just for ego?  lol

Kung ako ang taga Cebu at Davao at ibang probinsya maiinsulto ako niyan.  ;D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #385 on: May 15, 2005 at 08:42 AM »
abs produced many good shows. most of them, off-air na. they became #1.

marimar became phenomenal. abs followed. then there's tagalized cartoons. abs followed. they did not concentrate on the good shows they had.

gma produced a couple of good shows. they were a good alternative when they were #2. i particularly liked their news and current affairs.

then let go of the probe team. then they decided to go head on w/ abs.

now they both suck.

same s**t, different channel.

buti me cable.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: May 16, 2005 at 12:37 PM »
Lalo ko nagustuhan ang GMA dahil sa napanood ko kanina dito sa local channel namin ng I-witness na ang theme ay Pantasya ng Bayan. Dito ko nalaman na sa ibang bansa pa nakita ang mga lumang peliculang pilipino. Bigla akong nanghinayang.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: May 16, 2005 at 10:42 PM »
kapuso  8)  although lately puro cable na. pero pag walang cable, sympre siyete  ;)

Offline Excalibur

• Collector
  • And now I wait without withering...
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: May 19, 2005 at 07:04 PM »

The FACT Remains na sa lahat ng Probinsya outside Mega-Manila lampaso ang GMA.  Kahit anong formula ang gawin ng GMA because of sour graping they cannot change the fact that all over the Philippines iisa lang ang hawak nila Mega Manila lang, the rest of the Philippines eh namamayagpag ang ABS-CBN.

Its very unfair na imarginalize ng GMA ang lahat ng probinsya.  Its like saying na bale wala ang Ratings from Cebu, Davao atbp.  They lump all the provinces together at ginawang maliit na parte lang ng Mega Manila just for ego?  lol

Kung ako ang taga Cebu at Davao at ibang probinsya maiinsulto ako niyan.  ;D

mr big boy,

if you review the few last paragraphs that you quoted,
the ratings were re-computed by nielsen, not gma. 
gma only requested that nielsen clarify its data/findings
by using a different framework.

mapunta tayo sa financial performance...
if we will look at the 1st quarter earnings of both stations,
mukhang lamang din ang gma (400 M) as compared to a loss for abs.

with regards to venturing into new markets
gma is will be entering the international airwaves.
whether abs likes it or not, kakain ng market share ang gma pinoy tv
kahit maliit man iyon.

this network battle that is becoming more interesting...  ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: May 20, 2005 at 04:08 PM »
mr big boy,

if you review the few last paragraphs that you quoted,
the ratings were re-computed by nielsen, not gma. 
gma only requested that nielsen clarify its data/findings
by using a different framework.

mapunta tayo sa financial performance...
if we will look at the 1st quarter earnings of both stations,
mukhang lamang din ang gma (400 M) as compared to a loss for abs.

with regards to venturing into new markets
gma is will be entering the international airwaves.
whether abs likes it or not, kakain ng market share ang gma pinoy tv
kahit maliit man iyon.

this network battle that is becoming more interesting...  ;D

Excalibur,

That is precisely the point, it was not AC Nielsen who initiated the computation it was requested by a CLIENT.  Of course Nielsen like any other business entity will do practically anything to please a client.

Nationwide ratings or survey for TV Networks are not normaly done for a lot of various reasons.  One of them is because the countryside and provincial Rating methodology and technology is not fully developed yet Nationwide.  Sa madaling salita hindi mo pa makukuha lahat ng Ratings sa lahat ng probinsya ng mabuti to represent a true Nationwide Ratings.  If this is the case it would be Grossly unfair to claim or indirectly project na number one na Nationwide ang GMA based on a few provinces.  It would be misleading.  Do you see my point?   

People with inefficient comprehension mare being misled into believing that GMA is nubmer one in Cebu, Davao and Dagupan and Nationwide when infact kulelat sila sa lahat ng Ratings na available Nationwide outside Mega Manila.  This is what GMA is trying to exploit.

Publicist can very well see how GMA manipulates the Data to project that they are leading not only in Mega Manila but in the entire Philippines , which is not the case naman.  Besides how can you lump up the different provinces into one rating when infact they have different localized programings.  Lalo na kung hindi pa naka satellite.  Example ang Meteor Garden hindi pinalalabas sa Cebu at Davao in the same timeslot.  At may mga local programings ang ibang provinces.  So how can you combine the ratings then?  Misleading yan.

Kaya nga ang survey and research companies don't lump the ratings together.  Cebu is Cebu.  Davao is Davao hindi pwedeng kainin ng Mega Manila ang dalwang ito.  Another factor is not all consumer products that are being advertised are available nationwide some are only available in Mega Manila and some are only available in Cebu or Davao.

So you see its obvious naman why GMA is the only station who requested this kind of deceptive method na hindi commonly pinapractice ng research companies for Broadcasting Ratings.  The prudent way of doing it, is to get all the Broadcast Company to accept a common Formula.  This is GMAs formula so obviously BIAS.

It all boils down to one thing, Deception.  ;D

About financial performance, importante talaga ang Net Revenues pero makikita mo ang cash flow ng isang Company sa Gross Income rin.  When it comes to Gross Revenues malaking malaki ang lamang ng  ABS-CBN, they could cut expenses instantly and improve their Net Income.

Gross Income for First Quarter of 2005
ABS-CBN - 3.4 BILLION
GMA - 1.9 BILLION

Kaya nga kaming mga Stock Holders ng ABS-CBN can still hope that the company can get out of the red before the year ends.