Author Topic: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?  (Read 198674 times)

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #390 on: May 20, 2005 at 04:20 PM »
Gross Income for First Quarter of 2005
ABS-CBN - 3.4 BILLION
GMA - 1.9 BILLION

what's the net income?

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #391 on: May 20, 2005 at 04:26 PM »
Lopez: 'We've had a rude awakening'

ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. looks forward to ending the year in the black despite the net loss it recorded in the first quarter, the network's chairman and CEO Eugenio "Gabby" Lopez III said Thursday.

"We hope to recover. We are now focusing on (reducing) our costs," Lopez III told reporters following the annual stockholders meeting of the country's largest broadcasting network.

ABS-CBN reported a net loss of P114.3 million for the first quarter, compared to the P124.1 million net profit it posted for the same period last year.

Interviewed by Ricky Carandang of the ABS-CBN News Channel (ANC) after the stockholders meeting, Lopez said cost-cutting would offset a projected decline in advertising income, as a result of a marked slowdown in the Philippine economy.

Ricky Carandang: Well, our first quarter was not one of our best performances. Did they (stockholders) ask you about that and what was the answer?

Eugenio Lopez III: Well, they did, Ricky, and, of course, we were very disappointed on how we did the first quarter and there's a clear focus now on looking at the major levers of our cost and finding ways to bring that cost down.

As you know, this year is a going to be a very tough year for us, Ricky, and I think I speak for most of the businessmen of our country, the economy looks like that there is a significant slowdown and if you touch base with our major advertisers around the country, there's a clear sign that the spending is going to slow down because the consumption is simply not there.

Given this kind of bleak scenario in the next nine months, the focus has to be on managing our costs and that's where we are going to focus on.

I was watching the early part of the stockholders meeting and you were saying that, well, Mr. (ABS-CBN president Luis "Cito") Alejandro was saying revenues grew. There was actually some growth in the revenues but it was outpaced by growth in expenses, which I think is going by about 16 percent, compared to the eight percent of revenues. Are expenses going up because we are putting more into production to get back the market share?

Yes, and in the situation where you basically have a two-station game, there's only so much that you can do in terms of driving up your costs and that elasticity simply isn't there. So it's a recognition of the dynamics of play in the advertising economy that has led us to really now take a look at what are those major costs.  And I think, if I can speak frankly, I think our success all these years has really masked a lot of the erosion that is occurring within the organization and today, there is a very hard-nosed look at what are those corrosive elements in our cost infrastructure and what can we do to bring that down. Having said that, there's a lot of low-hanging fruit and we can fix all of these things and today there is the political will to fix all these problems.

I understand also that there is a three-point plan for recovery.  Tell us a little bit about this.

Well, I think, you know, and that goes to the heart of what (ABS-CBN) is, you know, we're really a content company and so there are going to be a lot of new programs. We are very excited about some of the programs and if I can speak to just one of them, "Big Brother" or "Kuya" will be launching within the next couple of months.

We are actually building a house across the street and this house will be where 12 men and women will live for the next hundred days.  This show, which is a program that's run around the world in 31 countries called "Big Brother," has been a major rating success even from countries like the Netherlands and Germany and parts of the Middle East to South America and places like Mexico.

So this takes the reality genre a step further and the technology transfer that will occur here will enable us to produce many different reality genres in the near future so we're quite excited about the prospect of this becoming a very significant part of what were going to be doing now and in going forward.

Reality TV is such a big thing in the United States in particular and seems to be a growing trend in TV markets all over the world. Are we making a major investment in reality TV as where entertainment is going to go?

Yes, we are going to and "Big Brother" is going to be our first effort at this. I think the people that did "Big Brother" know reality shows. They have a technology and a process of doing it that we can learn from and that we can use then to spill over into many different types of reality shows. Studio 23, which is really our youth market, is going to be a major recipient and beneficiary of this type of show.

One of the things about reality TV is since so many people are watching now, it's good for the revenues and brings in the ads but its also relatively lower cost sort of program.

That's correct so its perfect for what are we trying to do, which is manage our cost but, you know, deliver the revenues.

I was talking to Mr. Cito Alejandro and you before the stockholders meeting began and he did say that there does seem to be a bit of recovery as far as viewership is concerned. We're sort of narrowing the gap between us and our major competitor. Is that something that you feel is sustainable?

Oh, yes, I think so, and as Cito had mentioned, we've been able to stabilize our noontime ratings and our moves on prime time has been very good. Slowly but surely, the audience is coming back to us and the competitive climate means that the tenure of each of these programs are shorter and shorter. We have the stable of stars that will enable us to continually change and provide diversity for our viewers so we're quite excited going forward. We are capable of bringing back and regaining our dominance in terms of prime time ratings for Mega Manila although we've never lost it in the provincial arena.

This is quite a difficult question but I'm sure it's asked of you by a lot of the analysts and the reporters: When do you expect to see the benefits of all these things we're putting in place?

Well, of course, you know, I am the CEO of the company and so I'd like to see it tomorrow. But the reality is we have to focus on fixing the problems we have in our organization, looking at the process and finding ways to improve that process and coming out with good shows. At the end of the day, people watch programs and I think we're going to keep at it until we find the right combination of programs on prime time to do it. We have the people, the experience, the wherewithal to do it.

We've had a rude awakening and in my view, in a way it's good that it's happened to us because it's forcing us to take a hard look at the various processes that we have in our organization. And I have no doubt Cito and I will find ways to bring us back.

Offline Excalibur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • And now I wait without withering...
  • Liked:
« Reply #392 on: May 21, 2005 at 02:31 PM »

Excalibur,

That is precisely the point, it was not AC Nielsen who initiated the computation it was requested by a CLIENT.  Of course Nielsen like any other business entity will do practically anything to please a client.

Kung may duda na ang abs sa objectivity ng nielsen (dahil client ang gma), eh di hindi na nila dapat gamitin ang figures na nirerelease ng nielsen.   ;)

Pero kung number 1 sila according sa nielsen, bakit naniniwala sila?

Nationwide ratings or survey for TV Networks are not normaly done for a lot of various reasons.  One of them is because the countryside and provincial Rating methodology and technology is not fully developed yet Nationwide.  Sa madaling salita hindi mo pa makukuha lahat ng Ratings sa lahat ng probinsya ng mabuti to represent a true Nationwide Ratings.  If this is the case it would be Grossly unfair to claim or indirectly project na number one na Nationwide ang GMA based on a few provinces.  It would be misleading.  Do you see my point?   

Good Point. Kung hindi available ang ratings sa lahat ng provinces dahil hindi pa ito fully developed, bakit nagcompute ang abs ng over-all rating using some of the NSO figures re:population data using a few provinces? Hindi ba misleading din iyon? ;)

People with inefficient comprehension mare being misled into believing that GMA is number one in Cebu, Davao and Dagupan and Nationwide when infact kulelat sila sa lahat ng Ratings na available Nationwide outside Mega Manila.  This is what GMA is trying to exploit.

Abs cbn was the first one to release the over-all rating. gma only responded and questioned the process how abs arrived at the figures. questioning and presenting an alternative figure is not necessarily exploiting. nasa tao na iyan kung anong figure at proseso ang gusto nilang paniwalaan.  ;)

Publicist can very well see how GMA manipulates the Data to project that they are leading not only in Mega Manila but in the entire Philippines , which is not the case naman.  Besides how can you lump up the different provinces into one rating when infact they have different localized programings.  Lalo na kung hindi pa naka satellite.  Example ang Meteor Garden hindi pinalalabas sa Cebu at Davao in the same timeslot.  At may mga local programings ang ibang provinces.  So how can you combine the ratings then?  Misleading yan.

Misleading din ang ginawa ng abs cbn.

Kasi, they used the NSO figures for the entire population per area when in fact the proper figure should be the number of households owning a television per province/city/municipality (ginamit nilang figure ay hindi para sa target population).  Itanong mo iyan kahit sa kaninong matinong researcher o statistician.

Kaya nga ang survey and research companies don't lump the ratings together.  Cebu is Cebu.  Davao is Davao hindi pwedeng kainin ng Mega Manila ang dalwang ito.  Another factor is not all consumer products that are being advertised are available nationwide some are only available in Mega Manila and some are only available in Cebu or Davao.

So you see its obvious naman why GMA is the only station who requested this kind of deceptive method na hindi commonly pinapractice ng research companies for Broadcasting Ratings.  The prudent way of doing it, is to get all the Broadcast Company to accept a common Formula.  This is GMAs formula so obviously BIAS.

It all boils down to one thing, Deception.  ;D

Abs cbn was the first one who came up with the over-all rating.
abs cbn ay may sariling formula for the over-all rating.
at sabi mo, ganun din ang gma.

Using your arguments, ang ibig bang sabihin ay parehas nilang dinedeceive ang public? kasi they both released an over all rating at sabi mo, ratings should not be "lumped together".

By the way, can you mathematically prove na bias ang formula ng gma/nielsen?
(According to Nielsen, Mega Manila accounted for 87 percent of the total TV household population in areas covered by their surveys, while Metro Cebu, Davao City, and Dagu-pan City accounted for 6 percent, 6 percent, and 1 percent, respectively)
To objectively say that a formula is bias, dapat may proof. Kung wala, then it is purely speculation o opinion. ;D

bumblebee,

net income ng 2004:
gma 1.5 billion pesos
abs cbn 758 million pesos

net income q1 2005:
gma 400.5 million (profit)
abs cbn -114.3 million (loss)

additional news on the ongoing network wars:
http://news.yehey.com/news3.asp?c=12&i=86189
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005 at 03:03 PM by Excalibur »

Offline badjepoy

• Apprentice
  • Musta Ka Na Dyan
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: May 22, 2005 at 03:19 PM »
kung meron lang GMA 7 dito sa california matagal na kong nagpasubscribe

yung reception ng GMA thru cable sobrang labo napuputol pa palagi ang broadcast

nakakasawa na ang channel 2 nababaduyan na ko sa mga gimmick nila

but now i still have to stick with them for a while

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: May 22, 2005 at 03:50 PM »
Kung may duda na ang abs sa objectivity ng nielsen (dahil client ang gma), eh di hindi na nila dapat gamitin ang figures na nirerelease ng nielsen.   ;)

Pero kung number 1 sila according sa nielsen, bakit naniniwala sila?

Huh? Who said about ABS-CBN being duda sa AC Nielsen?  I was just saying na AC Nielsen heed to the request of GMA kasi client.  The computation was not initiated by Nielsen.  So on that alone bias na kasi GMA ang humingi ng ganun computation.

Good Point. Kung hindi available ang ratings sa lahat ng provinces dahil hindi pa ito fully developed, bakit nagcompute ang abs ng over-all rating using some of the NSO figures re:population data using a few provinces? Hindi ba misleading din iyon? ;)

Abs cbn was the first one to release the over-all rating. gma only responded and questioned the process how abs arrived at the figures. questioning and presenting an alternative figure is not necessarily exploiting. nasa tao na iyan kung anong figure at proseso ang gusto nilang paniwalaan.  ;)

Misleading din ang ginawa ng abs cbn.

Another BIG HUH???  Excuse me?  Where did you see that?  I havent seen ABS-CBN publicly releasing ads na Number 1 sila Nationwide.  Kung may ad na lumabas na ganito please point it out when and where.  In contrast GMA is in full blast on their PR deception.  They put an Ad on almost all the dailies, tabloid man o broadsheet.  Pati internet this is all over, I'm sure you havent miss all those PR works.  Sa ABS-CBN saan???  Please point it out kahit isang Ad lang sa dyaryo nung sinasabi mo.  ;D

Kasi, they used the NSO figures for the entire population per area when in fact the proper figure should be the number of households owning a television per province/city/municipality (ginamit nilang figure ay hindi para sa target population).  Itanong mo iyan kahit sa kaninong matinong researcher o statistician.

Abs cbn was the first one who came up with the over-all rating.
abs cbn ay may sariling formula for the over-all rating.
at sabi mo, ganun din ang gma.

Using your arguments, ang ibig bang sabihin ay parehas nilang dinedeceive ang public? kasi they both released an over all rating at sabi mo, ratings should not be "lumped together".

Again where are these ABS-CBN ads you are talking about?  Can you even point atleast one Ad (PUBLIC announcement) regarding this from ABS-CBN.  Sa GMA lahat na yata ng Dyaryo lumabas pati sa Internet at TV.  Sa ABS-CBN saan?  I have seen the provincial ratings thru our office pero walang sum yun.

By the way, can you mathematically prove na bias ang formula ng gma/nielsen?
(According to Nielsen, Mega Manila accounted for 87 percent of the total TV household population in areas covered by their surveys, while Metro Cebu, Davao City, and Dagu-pan City accounted for 6 percent, 6 percent, and 1 percent, respectively)
To objectively say that a formula is bias, dapat may proof. Kung wala, then it is purely speculation o opinion. ;D

bumblebee,

Does Metro Cebu, Davao City, and Dagu-pan City plus Mega Manila makes the whole Philippines kung hindi eh why did they even lump these provinces together and projected they are leading Nationwide by virtue of the sum of FOUR Cities thats HILARIOUS!  And thats not bias?  LOL

I think I'm being objective (being an advertising person) when I say, that all Ads tends to be overly bias.  But there are still ethics and rules.   Hindi pwede ang outright deception like what GMA is doing.  Four cities lang pala ang buong Philippines. lol

:)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005 at 04:03 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: May 22, 2005 at 03:52 PM »
METRO MANILA: NOT THE ENTIRE PHILIPPINES
Metro Manila does not represent 86% of the viewing Filipino public. Any study claiming the otherwise is unscrupulous and lacks a semblance of integrity and accuracy.

The mere fact that TV commercials are heavily concentrated in Metro Manila is not an enough basis to conclude that Metro Manila represents more than half of the viewing public. If it is true that AC NEILSEN considers this as a fact, then, with more reasons to doubt the integrity of their surveys, as they are employing incorrect research standards.

AC NEILSEN is an international research-marketing company utilizing international standards. However, certain international standards are not applicable to our setting, as the Philippines is a highly diverse country.

Neither Metro Manila represents Cebu nor Cebu represents Metro Manila. The same thing goes with the other areas. This is attributable to the fact that each region in the country does have its own unique culture, beliefs, and traits. In order to arrive at a correct conclusion, an analysis and a comparison of all the regions should be made.

Thus, even if ABS-CBN’s closest competitor, GMA, leads in Mega Manila, the latter still could not claim that it is now the country’s leading network, the fact being that GMA failed to maintain the same status on the rest of the areas in the Philippines. To claim as such would be a total lie to the true sense of the word.

Acceding to the fact that television sets are highly available in the urban areas and that Metro Manila is a 100% urban area, still it isn’t safe to conclude that Metro Manila is representative of the whole country. Aside from Metro Manila, it must be pointed out that there are other areas in the Philippines considered as highly urbanized.

In the year 2000, 16 provinces in the Philippines have been considered as highly urbanized.

Source: NSO, 2000 Census of Population and Housing

Provinces with More Than 50 Percent Urban Population: 2000

1            Rizal                     95.79
  2            Cavite                   86.81
  3            Laguna                  83.49
  4            Bulacan                77.80
  5            Pampanga             67.43
  6            Benguet                64.49
  7            Cebu                     63.43
  8            Bataan                  59.72
  9            Zambales              56.92
  10          Misamis Oriental    53.36
  11          Pangasinan           52.41

According to the N.S.O., in Luzon, aside from Metro Manila, there are four other cities considered to be entirely urbanized, these are Baguio City, Angeles City, Olongapo City, and Lucena City. In Visayas, Ilo-lo City, Bacolod City, Cebu City and Mandaue City are considered to be entirely urbanized. In Mindanao, Cagayan de Oro City, Marawe City and Cotobato City are also considered to be 100% urbanized.

These facts, GMA 7, in proclaiming itself to be the country’s leading network, has failed to consider.

The country’s second leading broadcasting network, GMA 7, although leading in Metro Manila is but second as to the rests of the places in the entire country. How could GMA now claim that it is the Philippine’s no.1 network when in all other urban areas and in the rest of the rural areas in the Philippines, it is still ABS-CBN who maintains the lead?

In the entire country, it is only ABS-CBN who is enjoying a wide-range of popularity. No doubt, ABS-CBN is the Philippine’s largest and No.1 broadcasting network.

Heavy Concentration of TV Commercials in Metro Manila

The heavy concentration of TV commercials in Metro Manila is not attributable to the claim that Metro Manila shares more than 50% of the entire viewing public. This conclusion of GMA is incorrect and self serving.

The heavy concentration of TV commercials in Metro Manila could be attributed to the fact that Metro Manila is the country’s capital. All business establishments are placed here. Restaurants, bars, movie houses, car shops, and a lot more are all around the metropolis. Thus, it is but logical for the businessmen to concentrate their advertisements where the market is.

More so, most of the businesses in the provinces do not need commercial advertisements, or even if so, it wouldn’t be cost effective.

Factories, fishponds, poultries, farms, and the likes do not need commercial advertisements. A different type of marketing strategy is employed in these types of businesses.

Also, Jollibee and Mc Donalds need not place many advertisements in the provinces as the competition is not as tough as compared here. Place a Jollibee establishment is San Fernando, Pampanga, for sure they would not be needing TV ads much as they need it here in Metro Manila. To do so would be senseless and would just be a waste of money, as it is not needed.

Besides, most of the celebrity endorsers here in Metro Manila are ABS-CBN talents. Ha ha.. what do you think this fact implies now?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: May 26, 2005 at 05:10 PM »
Victor Agustin
Inquirer News Service

HEMORRHAGING ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. is readying an across-the-board early retirement program to slash by at least one-fourth the manpower complement of the country's biggest radio-TV network, according to the industry grapevine.

A two months' salary for every year of service package looms as the ballpark incentive figure for the targeted "retireables", but ABS-CBN spokeswoman Maloli Manalastas was quick to caution that the executive committee was still a month away from submitting any package for board approval.

ABS-CBN, which suffered this year its first-ever first-quarter net loss of more than P114 million since its 1992 public listing, had 4,262 employees and talents as of end-2004, as against GMA Network Inc.'s 2,370.

The leaner and meaner GMA Network saw its first-quarter net income zoom to P400 million, from P246 million in the same period last year.

Faced by rising operating expenses and flat revenues, ABS-CBN this year factored in no bonuses for its new chief executive officer, Luis Alejandro, and four other top officers.

Still, the combined 2005 salary of Alejandro and company is estimated at P63.77 million, as against the P60.17 million (plus P15.04 million in bonuses) in 2004 and P58.29 million (plus P16.6 million in bonuses) in 2003.

Also for the first time, ABS-CBN officers from the rank of manager and higher have been told to expect no bonuses this year as well.

The industry lore is that ABS-CBN, which has one executive vice president, seven senior vice presidents and 19 vice presidents, is one top-heavy organization as compared to GMA Network, which has four senior vice presidents but also a number of presidents running its subsidiaries.

GMA Network board member Joel Marcelo Jimenez said the network has "competitive" executive compensation package but it is the quality of the programming that makes or breaks a network.

And of the 15 top TV programs monitored nationwide in April, 12 belonged to GMA Network.

Offline Asktig

• Apprentice
  • Don’t always listen to what you’re told...think!
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: May 26, 2005 at 06:10 PM »
Actually I was once a pure "kapamilya" viewer, pero last mid-year I decided to switch to "kapuso". why u ask? kasi di na ako masaya sa mga shows ng kapamilya.  And now I'm much happier with "kapuso"... Pansin ko lang parang laging madilim/gloomy ang broadcast ng abs-cbn, parang laging kulang sa lighting yung mga sitcoms nila. Compared sa gma which is more brighter kaya cguro ako napalipat.  Di na lalabo ang mata ko. Hehe!  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #398 on: May 26, 2005 at 07:59 PM »
People keep saying they're "kapuso" or "kapamilya". I wonder though -- is there really such a thing as "station loyalty"? Does this mean you don't watch ANY programs from a particular station if you've "allied" yourself with its rival? Isn't the regular viewing habit to watch a show that holds your interest regardless of the TV channel?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #399 on: May 26, 2005 at 09:22 PM »
People keep saying they're "kapuso" or "kapamilya". I wonder though -- is there really such a thing as "station loyalty"? Does this mean you don't watch ANY programs from a particular station if you've "allied" yourself with its rival? Isn't the regular viewing habit to watch a show that holds your interest regardless of the TV channel?

ganito na talaga ngayon. wowowee loyals will never switch to eat bulaga, no matter how bad that show is. and it doesn't end there. it's not the stars that make a station anymore. it's the other way around. what do you think will happen to juday if she decides to go to 7? your guess is as good as mine.

there is danger here. stations will just produce shows just for the heck of it. who cares about bad shows when it's rating anyway? this station loyalty is slowly becoming a religion. and the big players are the gods.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005 at 09:24 PM by bumblebee »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: May 27, 2005 at 02:16 AM »

This is all about branding.  Every product or company tries to build a loyal and solid costumer base, both Network succeeded doing just that.  This is one reason why companies support or give to certain causes, to build goodwill for their brand.  Pero what sets ABS-CBN and GMA apart is, these two companies are showbiz based.  Pinoy are the most "showbiz" people siguro in the whole world that's why it generated so much fanaticism.  It's like Nora and Vilma rivalry all over again, this time it's 2 different brands.  This Network loyalty was made even stronger by branding it with sentimental moniker like "Kapamilya" & "Kapuso".  Some went as far as erasing certain channels on their TV sets, yes OA yun. 

As for me I'm more interested in the business and technical side of this Network War.  It's like the marketing and branding war Coke and Pepsi wage against each other.  Siyempre my bet is ABS-CBN kahit na I only watch a handful of local shows.  hehehe.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 at 02:48 AM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline JanMike

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #401 on: May 27, 2005 at 02:39 PM »
As for me I'm more interested in the business and technical side of this Network War.  It's like the marketing and branding war Coke and Pepsi wage against each other.  Siyempre my bet is ABS-CBN kahit na I only watch a handful of local shows.  hehehe.

I think for the business side, it's GMA who's ahead right now. They have been posting increasing net profits as opposed to the constant net losses of ABS-CBN. Right now, GMA is more stable and seems to be in a better direction. This success of GMS in recent years has even led SMART chairman Manny Pangilinan to want to buy GMA7. May mga directors lang that are not amenable to that right now. I think that has something to do with the MVP's plan to converge the telecoms and television platform. This is a brilliant move. If this happens, maiiwan ang ABS-CBN.   

As for the technical side, I think ahead and ABS-CBN as they are able to reach farther locations. But, GMA is not far behind.

At the end of the day, it's GMA who been able to make sound decisions and partnerships. The Lopez group has quite a number of bad investments that some of the income gaine dby ABS-CBN is used to offset the losses. Too bad!

Offline Excalibur

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: May 29, 2005 at 08:28 PM »
Hi mr big boy,

Nice arguments  ;D Eto ang reply ko:

Huh? Who said about ABS-CBN being duda sa AC Nielsen?  I was just saying na AC Nielsen heed to the request of GMA kasi client.

Walang nagsabi na abs ay duda sa results ng nielsen. That’s why if you carefully read my response, ang sinabi ko ay “KUNG”. It’s a hypothetical question/situation ;)

The computation was not initiated by Nielsen.  So on that alone bias na kasi GMA ang humingi ng ganun computation.

Do you imply na if the client asks for a re-computation, biased agad iyon?
Or, does asking for a computation based on a different framework would automatically imply biasness? Yes or No?

Another BIG HUH???  Excuse me?  Where did you see that?  I havent seen ABS-CBN publicly releasing ads na Number 1 sila Nationwide.  Kung may ad na lumabas na ganito please point it out when and where.  In contrast GMA is in full blast on their PR deception.  They put an Ad on almost all the dailies, tabloid man o broadsheet.  Pati internet this is all over, I'm sure you havent miss all those PR works.  Sa ABS-CBN saan???  Please point it out kahit isang Ad lang sa dyaryo nung sinasabi mo.  ;D

Teka, teka., teka. I never used the term ADS in my recent response to you.

Eniway, ganito ang approach ko:

Remember the news item posted by Ritchie Nolasco?
“…Last April 20, GMA’s closest rival, ABS-CBN, released several charts and tables to media containing ratings data based on weighted averages of Nielsen ratings in Mega Manila and key cities. The data presented by ABS-CBN showed they were ahead of GMA…”

Since it was released last April 20, siguro naman, if there was a denial of abs stating that they did not release such figures ay makikita agad natin. But I never saw any denial by abs. (Madali lang naman mag deny di ba?) Kung may nakita ka na denial, please share it with us.

Again where are these ABS-CBN ads you are talking about?  Can you even point atleast one Ad (PUBLIC announcement) regarding this from ABS-CBN.  Sa GMA lahat na yata ng Dyaryo lumabas pati sa Internet at TV.  Sa ABS-CBN saan?  I have seen the provincial ratings thru our office pero walang sum yun.

Again, if you carefully read my response, I never used the term ADS. So I don’t need to point an ad about abs cbn.  ;D

I used the term over-all rating. And I based my statement about the over-all rating (released by abs) on the article posted by Ritchie Nolasco. At iyun ay quinote mo rin.

Does Metro Cebu, Davao City, and Dagu-pan City plus Mega Manila makes the whole Philippines kung hindi eh why did they even lump these provinces together and projected they are leading Nationwide by virtue of the sum of FOUR Cities thats HILARIOUS!  And thats not bias?  LOL

Actually, its not hilarious. It is feasible. According to survey designs and operations, due to the factor of limited time & financial resources available, you can actually select a (small) SAMPLE that can represent the whole country. Therefore, it is mathematically possible to obtain a sample containing only Mega-Manila, Metro Cebu, Davao and Dagupan because they are elements on the sample space of the Philippines.

To say that a sample selected is bias(ed) needs proof. Since sinabi mo na bias ito, please show your mathematical proof na bias nga ang sample na ito.

Again, as long as you cannot MATHEMATICALLY prove na bias ang sample selection at ang formula ng nielsen, I think you are basing your arguments on speculation.

… Hindi pwede ang outright deception like what GMA is doing.  Four cities lang pala ang buong Philippines. Lol

Additional explanation:
Paano mo nasabi na masarap ang coke? Tumikim ka lang ng isa o dalawang bote, pwede na, di ba? At maniniwala ka na sa conclusion mo with just a few bottles, right?

Ang tanong ko: kailangan mo bang inumin ang lahat ng bote ng coke sa pilipinas para masabi mo na masarap ang coke? Siguro naman hindi praktikal iyun. Ganoon din ang surveys. If you think that four cities is not enough, then conducting a survey na covered ang mas maraming area is a good idea. hindi nga lang praktikal.  ;)

Eto ang crucial factor: Sino ang magfufund ng survey? At hanggang kelan? Willing kaya ang abs? I hope they would. Sila ang dapat mag-negate sa computations ng nielsen na nirequest ng gma. As long as hindi nag-iissue ng public apology ang nielsen regarding their computation of the over-all rating, it is up to abs to dispute it in an academic manner.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005 at 08:39 PM by Excalibur »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2005 at 12:06 AM »
Hi Excalibur, you have some good points but, this is how I see it:

Walang nagsabi na abs ay duda sa results ng nielsen. That’s why if you carefully read my response, ang sinabi ko ay “KUNG”. It’s a hypothetical question/situation ;)
Hehehe meron ngang "kung" but you implied it just the same.   Making a point like that is argumentative, so, that in turn implies I made an opposite argument and saying I did not, make your "duda" statement totally pointless.  Then why say it at all?   
;D

Do you imply na if the client asks for a re-computation, biased agad iyon?
Or, does asking for a computation based on a different framework would automatically imply biasness? Yes or No?
Yes of course, definitely.  By the very nature of the request it makes it biased in favor of GMA.  Would they make a formulation or request a computation that would be disadvantageous to them?  Every statistician knows that statistical data can easily be slanted.  That's why formulas and computations must be agreed upon by all parties involved to make it aceptable.  Out of 6 VHF Networks and 7 UHF Stations, how many approved the formula?  How many of them initiated the Nationwide computation which is not NORMALY PRACTICED?   OBVIOUSLY that computatin is not a standard practice in the industry.  Do I need to say more?
 ;)

Teka, teka., teka. I never used the term ADS in my recent response to you.

Eniway, ganito ang approach ko:

Remember the news item posted by Ritchie Nolasco?
“…Last April 20, GMA’s closest rival, ABS-CBN, released several charts and tables to media containing ratings data based on weighted averages of Nielsen ratings in Mega Manila and key cities. The data presented by ABS-CBN showed they were ahead of GMA…”

Since it was released last April 20, siguro naman, if there was a denial of abs stating that they did not release such figures ay makikita agad natin. But I never saw any denial by abs. (Madali lang naman mag deny di ba?) Kung may nakita ka na denial, please share it with us.

Again, if you carefully read my response, I never used the term ADS. So I don’t need to point an ad about abs cbn.  ;D

I used the term over-all rating. And I based my statement about the over-all rating (released by abs) on the article posted by Ritchie Nolasco. At iyun ay quinote mo rin.
If it’s not an Ad then why did GMA answered it with an Ad, that’s the point.  So you can't claim that ABS-CBN did what GMA did.  So it was GMA that said, ABS-CBN released the contentious figures and we should believe it? Right! I read a lot of Tabloids and Broadsheets.  Its part of my Job requirement, but I never encountered such data.  All I've seen is the Provincial Ratings that were itemized and not lumped together.  For the sake of argument lets say ABS-CBN did released that said data, then why did GMA had to released the supposed counter-data on a different venue for a different audience?  That doesn't make sense.   And claiming that it just countered an invisible press release is such an intellectually insulting reason.  How can you counter anything that is invisible or in a different arena?  Shadow boxing?  I mean, c'mon!   Magpapaidiot ba ikaw?   Common sense. 

I don't need to show you a denial from ABS-CBN.  Not denying the claim of GMA doesn't mean anything, it does not make it true.  Besides if you can't even produce or point to a single alleged claim of ABS-CBN, then how do you expect me to see a denial?  The burden of proof always lies on the accuser, and that’s you, not me.  hehehe
;D

Actually, its not hilarious. It is feasible. According to survey designs and operations, due to the factor of limited time & financial resources available, you can actually select a (small) SAMPLE that can represent the whole country. Therefore, it is mathematically possible to obtain a sample containing only Mega-Manila, Metro Cebu, Davao and Dagupan because they are elements on the sample space of the Philippines.

To say that a sample selected is bias(ed) needs proof. Since sinabi mo na bias ito, please show your mathematical proof na bias nga ang sample na ito.

Again, as long as you cannot MATHEMATICALLY prove na bias ang sample selection at ang formula ng nielsen, I think you are basing your arguments on speculation.
What!?  Baka himatayin ang professors ko dati sa sinabi mo na yan! lol   It might be the case for some statistical data depending on the purpose.  But not here, where the contention involves regional/local statistics and figures.  First of all you are going against the very principle and claim GMA is making.  Which is they are number one Nationwide not just in one place (Mega Manila).  How can you just factor in three Provinces and make a projection based on the percentage weighted universe that is favorable to you?  How can you make an approximation for an entirely different Regional figures based on a chosen universe?  That will be very lopsided or BIAS.  And furthermore the data from other provinces were readily available; there is no reason why they should be left out.  They could have easily used all the other provinces where ABS-CBN is so far ahead with the ratings, but they did not, why? 

You are asking for proof? I already said the proof.  You just don't want to hear them.

One more thing, just to illustrate how BIAS that press release is; they showed that they are leading "Nationwide" based on the computation they requested.  This was derived from the formula they approved.  They stated the figures for morning, noon and evening ratings using the said formula and it shows they are winning by a very slight margin, but just the same they are still winning.  Then they claim on the very same press release, that out of the top 15 shows 12 of them are from GMA only 3 from ABS-CBN.  This figure, obviously, was not derived from that said formula.  It was reflective of only Mega Manila where they are ahead by a large margin.  But if you tabulate the Top 15 shows using the formula that they used to favor them in “nationwide” ratings, it would not be 12 out of 15 shows.  It will be almost 50/50 between ABS-CBN and GMA.  Reflective of the slight margin derived from the "nationwide" Ratings.  Obviously it would not be favorable to them to use the formula on the Top 15 tabulation.  But they incorporated it just the same to deceive the clueless readers again and to make it appear that out of the Top 15 shows "NATIONWIDE" 12 of them are from GMA.

And that's not Bias? LOL Yeah Right.  hehehe

Eto ang crucial factor: Sino ang magfufund ng survey? At hanggang kelan? Willing kaya ang abs? I hope they would. Sila ang dapat mag-negate sa computations ng nielsen na nirequest ng gma. As long as hindi nag-iissue ng public apology ang nielsen regarding their computation of the over-all rating, it is up to abs to dispute it in an academic manner.
That is one reason why AC Nielsen and AGB does not compute Ratings on a Nationwide basis.  The technology and logistics are not yet there.  It would not be accurate to do so.  Thats why the ratings only show itemize Provinces so not to misled the public.

Why will Nielsen make a public apology?  They never claimed that the survey accurately reflects the Nationwide preference.  NEVER.  If they do that they will lose their credibility.  If you heard or read anything like this kindly point it out.  All AC Nielsen did was to make a computation based on the request and formula of GMA.  What GMA does with it is their business, AC Nielsen is out of it.

Here is why GMA don't want an itemize figures (which is the industry's practice).  It's self explanatory.

AGB Philippines
Coverage: January-March 2005
Audience Share

Bacolod
ABS-CBN 90%
GMA 4%

Tacloban
ABS-CBN 89%
GMA 9%

General Santos
ABS-CBN 87%
GMA 11%

Naga
ABS-CBN 86%
GMA 9%

Legaspi
ABS-CBN 86%
GMA 18%

Zamboanga
ABS-CBN 75%
GMA 20%

Baguio
ABS-CBN 68%
GMA 29%

Davao
ABS-CBN 63%
GMA 17%

Cagayan De Oro
ABS-CBN 55%
GMA 35%

Cebu
ABS-CBN 50%
GMA 28%

Urban Areas (Luzon)
ABS-CBN 49%
GMA 38%

Dagupan
ABS-CBN 37%
GMA 27%

It woudn't look good kasi.

Additional explanation:
Paano mo nasabi na masarap ang coke? Tumikim ka lang ng isa o dalawang bote, pwede na, di ba? At maniniwala ka na sa conclusion mo with just a few bottles, right?

Ang tanong ko: kailangan mo bang inumin ang lahat ng bote ng coke sa pilipinas para masabi mo na masarap ang coke? Siguro naman hindi praktikal iyun. Ganoon din ang surveys. If you think that four cities is not enough, then conducting a survey na covered ang mas maraming area is a good idea. hindi nga lang praktikal.  ;)
Additional Explanation for your Additional Explanation:

You are not hearing me obviously.  It's very evident on that Coke analogy. lol

That was precisely the point I've been making, if you only read my arguments with an open mind.  You can't use a single universe and apply it to compute all different and distinct equations and problems that have their own given universe.  Why?  Again the programming of the Networks does not exactly mirror Mega Manila's programming and vice versa.  Bawat region may localize programming and each provinces have different figures.

To borrow your analogy; it's like tasting Coke and making a judgment based on it for the entire Coke flavors such as Vanilla, Cherry and Classic.  Kung favorable sa Coke(GMA) yung review(ratings) kasi nasarapan(nagrate) sa Coke(Mega-Manila) then swerte nila.  The prudent way to do it is taste all four different flavors so you can make a general conclusion that Coca-Cola Brands is good.  You can’t assume or judge the four other Coke flavors based on that particular Coke nor can you make a sweeping statement that Coke Products are good based on a single flavor you tasted, because each flavors varied even if they are all Cola based.

I rest my case.  ;D ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005 at 01:11 AM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Excalibur

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: May 31, 2005 at 12:38 AM »
Hi Excalibur, you have some good points but, this is how I see it:
Hehehe meron ngang "kung" but you implied it just the same.   Making a point like that is argumentative, so, that in turn implies I made an opposite argument and saying I did not, make your "duda" statement totally pointless.  Then why say it at all?   
;D

good point. eto naman kasi ang reason ko:
i think abs did use nielsen figures before
to show na they are the leading network nationwide.

so, may pinagmulan naman ang hypothetical question ko
regarding abs's willingness & trust to use nielsen figures in the future.

Yes of course, definitely.  By the very nature of the request it makes it biased in favor of GMA.  Would they make a formulation or request a computation that would be disadvantageous to them?  Every statistician knows that statistical data can easily be slanted.  That's why formulas and computations must be agreed upon by all parties involved to make it aceptable.  Out of 6 VHF Networks and 7 UHF Stations, how many approved the formula?  How many of them initiated the Nationwide computation which is not NORMALY PRACTICED?   OBVIOUSLY that computatin is not a standard practice in the industry.  Do I need to say more?
 ;)

now that's info. thanx.  ;D
teka, ilan nga ba? wag mo naman ako ibitin. 

If it’s not an Ad then why did GMA answered it with an Ad, that’s the point.  So you can't claim that ABS-CBN did what GMA did.  So it was GMA that said, ABS-CBN released the contentious figures and we should believe it? Right! I read a lot of Tabloids and Broadsheets.  Its part of my Job requirement, but I never encountered such data.  All I've seen is the Provincial Ratings that were itemized and not lumped together. 

since sinulat ng isang broadsheet ang issue na ito,
siguro naman, may kopya din ang broadsheet/s
ng mga supposed tables computed/released by abs cbn
so that they can also verify the info released by gma.

it might be possible na sila ay may kopya ng tables
at nagkataon na ikaw ay wala.  ;)

For the sake of argument lets say ABS-CBN did released that said data, then why did GMA had to released the supposed counter-data on a different venue for a different audience?  That doesn't make sense.   

actually it does. strategy yun.
gma had to seek out an audience to air their ideas.
and they just chose a different audience.

I don't need to show you a denial from ABS-CBN.  Not denying the claim of GMA doesn't mean anything, it does not make it true.  Besides if you can't even produce or point to a single alleged claim of ABS-CBN, then how do you expect me to see a denial?  The burden of proof always lies on the accuser, and that’s you, not me.  hehehe
;D

good point.  :)

however, it is abs' duty to seek out the truth
because they are a media company.

it is abs cbn's duty to deny gma's statements
re: "over-all ratings" because being a media company
they should be a vanguard of/for truth.
(that is, if lies talaga ang sinabi sa "ads" ng gma)

in addition, sa media, battle of perception/s rin iyan.
at may kasabihan tayo na with regards to perception,
"silence usually means yes".

sa (perception at) media, the burden of proof
does not always have to be with the accuser ;)

What!?  Baka himatayin ang professors ko dati sa sinabi mo na yan! lol   It might be the case for some statistical data depending on the purpose.  But not here, where the contention involves regional/local statistics and figures.  First of all you are going against the very principle and claim GMA is making.  Which is they are number one Nationwide not just in one place (Mega Manila).  How can you just factor in three Provinces and make a projection based on the percentage weighted universe that is favorable to you?  How can you make an approximation for an entirely different Regional figures based on a chosen universe?  That will be very lopsided or BIAS

how about MULTI-LEVEL SAMPLING METHOD?  :)
I think what gma-nielsen did can be imagined
kung proportional allocation ang iisipin mo.

by the way, i think mega manila includes areas
near but outside metromanila kaya malaki ang weight nila.

And furthermore the data from other provinces were readily available; there is no
reason why they should be left out.  They could have easily used all the other provinces where ABS-CBN is so far ahead with the ratings, but they did not, why? 

di nila gagamitin kasi makakasama sa kanila iyun.
its like abs announcing sa station nila that they are number 2 in mega manila now.
(remember, tinanong kita before about the possibility
that both of them may be deceiving the public?)

You are asking for proof? I already said the proof.  You just don't want to hear them.

kasi anybody can say an estimate is bias.
but to support their statement with figures
and mathematical process will reduce subjectivity.

with regards to your proof about representation,
may expalantion ako about sampling later...

...What GMA does with it is their business, AC Nielsen is out of it...

kung kayang gawin ng gma iyon, bakit ipinagawa pa nila sa nielsen?
isnt it possible that nielsen was more capable in making the computation?

also, every time a respected seller releases a product, 
he makes sure na he can stand by his product.
at laging may unspoken agreement ang seller
with their buyer na hindi dapat gagamitin ang produkto
para makasira sa seller.
i do think nielsen is smart enough to know this.
i believe they can stand by the figure they gave to gma.

Additional Explanation for your Additional Explanation:

You are not hearing me obviously.  It's very evident on that Coke analogy. lol

That was precisely the point I've been making, if you only read my arguments with an open mind.  You can't use a single universe and apply it to compute all different and distinct equations and problems that have their own given universe. 

teka, baka naman you are talking about the population, not the universe.
the philippines can be defined as one population kasi.
one province can also be defined as a population.
so, depende sa researcher iyan.

Why?  Again the programming of the Networks does not exactly mirror Mega Manila's programming and vice versa.  Bawat region may localize programming and each provinces have different figures.

please explain the concept of localize programming
para naman makrespond ako ng maayos sa arguments mo.  :)

eto kasi ang idea ko as of now:
we are talking about a rating here.
and a rating does not have a MEASURING UNIT.
(unitless sya) it is expressed in percent.
therefore, pwede mo syang i-combine with other ratings
of diff areas to obtain a weighted average.

kung ang elem, HS & college grade ay na-cocompute ang GPA
considering na totally different ang nature ng mga enrolled subjects,
diff skeds, diff teachers, diff class requirements, diff classmates, diff rooms, etc.
at accepted ito, bakit hindi sa tv rating?

To borrow your analogy; it's like tasting Coke and making a judgment based on it for the entire Coke flavors such as Vanilla, Cherry and Classic.  Kung favorable sa Coke(GMA) yung review(ratings) kasi nasarapan(nagrate) sa Coke(Mega-Manila) then swerte nila.  The prudent way to do it is taste all four different flavors so you can make a general conclusion that Coca-Cola Brands is good.  You can’t assume or judge the four other Coke flavors based on that particular Coke nor can you make a sweeping statement that Coke Products are good based on a single flavor you tasted, because each flavors varied even if they are all Cola based.

I rest my case.  ;D ;)

ginamit ko ang analogy na iyon to point out na
feasible at acceptable ang sampling sa diff areas.
to arrive at a generalization/conclusion na masarap ang coke.
ni hindi ko nga binanggit sa ang other coke flavors eh.
ikaw naman. 

ang pinag-uusapan dito ay preference ng isang brand over another.
(abs vs. gma, remember?)

o, eto na lang ang explanation ko:
parang pepsi challenge ang ratings war.
(in this case, coke at pepsi lang ha. walang ibang flavors.)  ;)

at mag-pepepsi challenge ka sa limited number of areas
kasi may budget at schedule ka.

...It would not be accurate to do so.  Thats why the ratings only show itemize Provinces so not to misled the public...

as long as agb & neilsen will state
kung anong sampling method ang ginamit nila,
hindi na misleading iyon.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005 at 12:45 AM by Excalibur »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 10:39 PM »
MANILA TIMES

EAST AND WEST
By JULIUS F. FORTUNA

BRIEF NOTES. Gabby Lopez, the top man in ABS-CBN, has obtained access
to derogatory information about its rival. Sources have said that the
information is lethal to the opponent because it involves shares that
are supposed to be kept secret . . . Aides of Gabby are egging the ABS
chief to expose the information, but it was said that the grandson of
Don Eugenio wants to keep the war on the level of gentlemen. It was
said that the Lopez channel has been silently suffering the attack
from its rival network on the ABS-CBN as a vested interest group "na may
pinoprotektahan." When will Gabby use his card?

Does anyone have an idea what this is all about?
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2005 at 01:48 AM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline bad_movie

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Jun 05, 2005 at 03:05 PM »
eto lang....walang kahit sino pa mang gumawa ng statistics na naging "very" accurate o kahit near accurate. kahit anong sampling method pa gawin nila....merely statistical datas vs human behavior ang pinagbabangga? papano mo irereconcile yun? kalokohang malaki...i can say i favor this network kung tatanungin ako pero hindi pala tapos ilalabas nila as data....kalokohan na agad....kahit median ng population hindi nila kaya makuha ang opinion so how come they can derive such results? a pinch of salt is incomparable to an ocean...

don't believe such statistics ek-ek....nababayaran lahat yan and they are "NOT" reliable, never will and never is...

anyone who wants to rebutt? go ahead. it's going to be my logic vs. your data...lol

just my two cents. PEACE!!!

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: Jun 19, 2005 at 01:06 PM »
Where did ABS-CBN go wrong?

By CARLOS BANAAG

We’ve had a rude awakening," said Gabby Lopez, ABS-CBN Chairman and CEO.

After several months in what a therapist might call the denial stage, ABS-CBN now admits openly that it is no longer No. 1 in the ratings in Mega Manila. Of course, the Lopez network still claims to be ahead nationwide or more accurately in Cebu, Dagupan and Davao; but everyone knows that it’s the Manila numbers that really count. And the Manila numbers leave no room for doubt. For the first quarter of 2005, ABS-CBN had an audience share of only 34%, while GMA-7 had 46%.

Since as far back as August 1987, ABS-CBN had lorded it over the competition with programs such as "TV Patrol" "Home Along Da Riles" and "Maalaala Mo Kaya." Cracks began to show up on the ABS walls of fortress in the late 1990’s, but until recently the network continued to dominate the television landscape with hits like "Meteor Garden" and "Marina."

Late last year, the Kapamilya station could still say that it controlled the all-important primetime TV viewing block. Then, in what seemed like a matter of weeks, ABS-CBN’s ratings collapsed. GMA-7 literally swept the field, took over the top position in every time slot throughout the day and night, and became the first new overall ratings champ in a generation.

WHERE DID IT GO WRONG?

Retiring Freddie Garcia was one big mistake. But that’s the easy answer. It’s true that the decline in ABS-CBN’s viewership that followed closely after his retirement couldn’t be purely coincidence. The idea, however, that the loss of Garcia alone caused the fall of ABS-CBN is as ridiculous as the notion that Felipe Gozon single-handedly drove GMA-7 to the top. The "Great Man" approach to management is facile at best and flies in the face of well-documented studies of many great companies.

That ABS-CBN was brought down by an unfortunate confluence of personalities, policies and events is probably closest to the truth. For the full story, wait for the book. For our purposes here, however, if we can encapsulate what went right for 17 years, we may see what ultimately went wrong.

In broadcast and advertising circles, there is a general agreement that ABS-CBN did three things extremely well over the years: First, they copied other people’s ideas, but made them better. Second, they pirated the best shows and the best people. Third, they crushed everybody else.

Let’s say, for example, that a competitor had produced a variety show that was beginning to attract viewers. ABS-CBN would immediately launch a bigger variety show with glitzier sets, grander production numbers and more hosts. If the competition had a singer who was getting praise, ABS-CBN would offer to triple her talent fee. Finally, it would never be enough to just edge out the competing show in the ratings.

ABS-CBN made sure that its lead was overwhelming. Never give an inch! Take no prisoners! Total victory! These were the battlecries that you imagined ABS-CBN employees heard from their leaders every day. It didn’t matter what types of shows were involved—dramas, sitcoms, children’s shows, news and public affairs. The same three ploys worked over and over again. What could be copied was improved upon. What couldn’t be copied was pirated. Whatever was left of the enemy was destroyed by any and all means.

The tactics of ABS-CBN employed one basic weapon: Money. More money than other networks were able or willing to spend. Money for production, money for programming, money for equipment and facilities, money for executive salaries, money for talent fees, even money for game show prizes. If Christopher de Leon gave away a million on his show, Kris Aquino gave two million on hers.

The deep pockets and Ilonggo generosity of the Lopezes were legendary. The dream of young talents and industry executives alike was to be noticed and hired by ABS-CBN so that they too could enjoy the fantastic salaries and benefits that only the Lopezes were paying.

AWAKENING

About five years ago, everything changed. The listing of ABS-CBN shares on the stock exchange had been brilliant in that it gave the network access to a huge hoard of other people’s money, but it also seemed to have a more profound and insidious effect on the mind-set of the network’s policy makers.

Like many other companies ruled by fluctuating share prices, ABS-CBN become more conscious of short-term financial results and embarked on cost-cutting campaigns. At first, the cuts were facetious—sorry no more fresh flowers in the executive offices and reuse your plastic cups please—but later, they began to cut, not just fat, but meat and bone.

The older, more established and more expensive artistas were let go or alienated. Those who were retained had package deals that ensured that viewers would see them over and over again to the point of satiety. The number of shooting days per episode was reduced. Promo spots that would have looked great on film were done on video.

At the same time, Channel 2 strayed from its traditional three-part formula. Take the case of "Extra Challenge" which GMA-7 used to establish a beachhead in primetime. ABS-CBN never deigned to produce a clone of the show even when it had become clear that the celebrity Fear Factor format was going to be a monster hit. Nor did ABS pursue Paolo Bediones or Miriam Quiambao or Ethel Booba in the way that it went after, say, Kris Aquino and Boy Abunda a decade earlier.

Finally, ABS-CBN hesitated to pit its strongest programs against the upstart reality show. Instead, "Extra Challenge" became the programming tentpole that pulled up the ratings of "24 Oras" and "Mulawin."

Speaking of "24 Oras," the continued success of Mike Enriquez represents another example of the failure to properly implement the standard ABS-CBN strategy. The Lopez network successfully enticed Karen Davila to move over; but she was never the top anchor of GMA-7. That honor belonged to Mike Enriquez, whose unique appearance and style is not clone-able.

ABS-CBN’s next option was to pirate him; but although meetings reportedly took place, ABS-CBN apparently balked at offering him an amount of money that would make him jump ship. The last recourse is to attack Enriquez; thus far, however, complaints filed against him have not prospered.

Yet another example involves Michael V. and "Bitoy’s Funniest Videos." ABS-CBN’s "Vid-Joking" was a copy but not an improvement. Mark Logan is no Michael V. And though the latter was available, ABS-CBN did not get him. The list goes on.

Certainly, a host of other problems contributed to pulling ABS-CBN down to number 2, among them, the internal politics, favoritism and intrigues; the loss of credibility in news and current affairs; the drain on resources represented by Studio 23 and other ventures; and the lack of broadcast experience of its president.

Nevertheless, one factor stands out as the proximate cause of ABS-CBN’s collapse in primetime: The failure to aggressively protect its market share using the methods that had succeeded so spectacularly in the past.

Gabby Lopez says ABS-CBN is awake now. The question is: Will we see a ponderous giant roused from slumber but weakened by cost-cutting OR will we be treated to the adventures of a lean, mean, show-no-mercy pirate? As every other TV reporter says when he doesn’t know the answer, "Only time will tell."

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Jun 23, 2005 at 04:08 PM »
What is GMA-7 doing wrong?
By CARLOS BANAAG

In the Service of Man, For the Glory of God.

That was then.

Today it's "Kapuso Mo, Anumang Kulay ng Mundo," which on the GMA-7 website is translated into "One in Heart, Regardless of the Colors of Life." One imagines that what they mean is that GMA network knows and shares your desires, no matter who you are.

The fact is they do seem to have divined what most Filipino televiewers want. On its premiere night, the primetime reincarnation of "Darna" starring Angel Locsin, again with wings (on her headband), attracted 60.3% of people watching television. A month later GMA-7 followed it up with yet another fantasy series featuring stars in outlandish costumes. The pilot episode of "Encantadia" got a fantastic 61.8% share of the audience. On that same night, the Asia-novela "Full House" did even better, hitting 67.3%. More than two out of every three viewers were glued to GMA-7.

While these numbers are impressive, they do not fully reflect the strength of the Kapuso network. The ratings of entertainment programs are notoriously unstable-but a couple of GMA-7 shows have consistently rated well for much more than just one night or one season. "Bubble Gang" has been a Friday night staple for around a decade. And of course, "Eat Bulaga" which recently celebrated its 25th year on the air continues to be the top noontime show. Now, that's strength.

GMA-7's muscle in news programming is equally if not more remarkable because news viewers are generally thought to be more conservative, more loyal, more likely to stay with what they are used to. Although "TV Patrol" was the top newscast for over 15 years, "24 Oras" broke the stranglehold of ABS-CBN on the early evening news slot. It currently beats "Patrol" by something like five to 10 rating points each night. Who would have thought that Mike Enriquez could be a TV anchor, let alone the nation's number one newscaster?
Somebody at GMA-7 did.

The truth in the "Kapuso" slogan, therefore, is undeniable. GMA-7 does have a finger on the pulse of the people and is thus able to supply what the multitudes want, when they want it.

It is telling, however, that the network's motto no longer mentions any higher purpose or social responsibility. Abandoning "Service to man and for the glory of God," slogan, GMA-7 now appears to aspire for nothing beyond pandering to the desires of the mass audience in order to increase ratings and revenues. Sadly, the lack of altruism indicated in the "Kapuso" catchphrase seems to be borne out in the network's programs and practices.

Examples can be found in the area of children's programming. In place of award-winning educational shows like "Sesame Street" and "Blues Clues," GMA-7 now airs cartoons. As a result, morning ratings have shot up. Obviously, kids want cartoons. But is that what they need? Whereas ABS-CBN put its money into productions like "Sineskwela" and "MathTinik," GMA-7 has nothing comparable to these programs, despite having overtaken ABS-CBN in profits.

"Quality" programming has also fallen by the wayside. Gone are the telemovies and drama anthologies in which writers and directors at least attempted to be creative, artistic or thought-provoking as well as entertaining. Instead GMA-7 seeks to tickle viewers with comedies and gag shows that are practically unscripted and only barely directed. The fantasy soap operas are expensive; but as entertainment, they are more closely related to the circus than to great television like "Angels in America."

Mel Tiangco's "Magpakailanman," which could have stood as the last bastion of quality, has been reduced to a publicity vehicle for minor personalities, extending their 15 minutes of fame to an excruciating hour and a half.

Ironically, some quarters think GMA-7's "abandonment" of the public trust is most acute in the news programs that do carry high-minded slogans. Channel 7's protestations of objectivity and public service-"Walang Kinikilingan, Serbisyong Totoo," etc.-are not to be taken seriously when one considers, for instance, that its news anchors are commercial endorsers of pharmaceuticals, herbal remedies, laundry detergent bars, instant coffee and who knows what else. More significantly, GMA-7 was perceived to be anti-Erap and pro-Gloria back in the days of EDSA 2 and 3. Will it skew its news coverage to favor the Arroyo administration even in this season of wiretapping and jueteng scandals? Or will the viewers' attention be simply diverted away from the government crisis?

Crisis or no crisis, the increasing number of minutes devoted to entertainment news has regrettably turned the newscasts into extensions of the "trashy" showbiz talk shows; and the program plugs masquerading as news stories are nothing but a disservice to the public.

In the simple matter of starting the newscasts on time and at decent times, GMA-7 has failed utterly. Thus, virtually every day, the public interest is sacrificed in order to let higher rating entertainment programs run long and carry more commercials.

It is worth nothing that GMA-7 can "legally" cram in more commercials per hour than any other TV network because it is no longer a member of the KBP. Forget GMA-7's belated arguments that the KBP is a martial law creation and that there is no scientific basis for setting the maximum commercial load at 18 minutes per hour. The ultimate effect of GMA-7's withdrawal from the KBP is that the Kapuso network can overload on ads with impunity. Serving the public or respecting the viewers? There are profits to be made.

Will this social irresponsibility cause a backlash against GMA-7? Yes, there are complaints; but no, there is no general outcry, much less a call to punish the network for its misdeeds . . . yet. Observers are so impressed by the surge in the network's ratings and profits that they do not see or care what principles may have been forfeited in order to achieve these numbers. Besides, the Filipino public has bigger problems to deal with at the moment.

If GMA-7 hopes to maintain its success over the long term, however, top management would do well to heed one of the central lessons in the book "Built to Last." "Profitability is a necessary condition for existence and a means to more important ends, but it is not the end in itself," write authors Collins and Porras. The most successful and enduring companies are those which are committed to a purpose and set of core values which transcend purely economic considerations such as profit-maximization and maximizing shareholder wealth.

Offline Asktig

• Apprentice
  • Don’t always listen to what you’re told...think!
  • Liked:
« Reply #409 on: Jun 23, 2005 at 04:24 PM »
Where did ABS-CBN go wrong?     

What is GMA-7 doing wrong?
By CARLOS BANAAG

nabasa ko ito sa inquirer... ::)

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: Jul 03, 2005 at 10:42 AM »
From http://www.philstar.com/philstar/freeman200507032401.htm

'Ratings gone bad' set the tone for massive ABS-CBN revamp
SHOWBIZDRIBBLE By Salve V. Asis
The Freeman 07/03/2005

It's going to be a "bloody" week in ABS-CBN. The word is that close to 500 people will be given their walking papers as part of the network's massive efforts to reinvent itself in the face of rapidly falling ratings.

Aside from retrenchment, ABS-CBN will also be canceling a number of its programs and moving others to new time slots. Such mainstays as "Pipol" and "Dong Puno Live" are being cut. Boy Abunda's "Kontrobersyal" has been moved to a slot after "Insider." "Dong Puno Live" was literally eaten alive in the ratings game by GMA-7's "Debate" and ABS-CBN feels confident Kontrobersyal could take Debate head-on.

The Lopezes' network has also taken in new managers to inject new life in moribund departments. Maria Ressa, who carved out a name as a CNN correspondent and later bureau chief, is taking charge of ABS-CBN's news and public affairs department. And Emily Abrera, a respected figure in advertising, is coming aboard to boost the networks' advertising and marketing arms.

Why all these changes? I guess ABS-CBN has finally come to acknowledge that it has lost its position as industry leader to its smaller but more creative rival. For years, GMA-7 has been overshadowed in the ratings war by ABS-CBN. Things began to change when the teleserye fad came into the scene. ABS-CBN took the early lead, rolling out the highly successful "Marina." Slowly, however, GMA-7 started to catch up. It produced the blockbuster series "Mulawin." By the time it debuted "Darna" and "Encantadia," the little network had taken a clear lead.

Today, GMA-7 dominates in the reality game show category with "Extra Challenge" and in news programs with "24 Oras." It would have been foolish of ABS-CBN to just watch its rival race to the lead.

In television, ratings are everything. Advertisers will not waste time or money on second best. Let's see how the battle of the networks pan out.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 05:34 PM »
In a move that is expected to bring more credibility to the network, and reduce controveries arising from sister Lopez companies, the board of ABS-CBN has accepted the resignation of Director Manolo Lopez, Meralco Chair & CEO. In his place, Emily Abrera, formerly of ad agency Mccan-Ericson (sp?) was appointed.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Jul 27, 2005 at 06:11 AM »
ABS-CBN and GMA7 was supposed to slug it out in San Francisco last weekend. Is it true that the ABS CBN crowd was humongous and the GMA show was relegated to a mere 'mall' show? (Seems like Cebu fiasco all over again for GMA7). I saw on TV ABS's San Francisco show (which is way much better than last week's show). Nover got to see GMA's show last Sunday. Is it true they went on 'best of' episode again (another term for replay). Maybe GMA is post producing their taped US show to add additional audience  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2005 at 06:12 AM by viper »

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Jul 28, 2005 at 07:16 PM »
Test to see if this topic will go back on top.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Jul 28, 2005 at 07:24 PM »
Test to see if this topic will go back on top.

Ayaw talaga!

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #415 on: Jul 28, 2005 at 07:46 PM »
Okay, my turn...

... and you're right.

Will try again after I do the upgrades tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2005 at 07:48 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Aug 21, 2005 at 07:51 PM »
Subok uli kung mag-aapir na sa board!  ;) ;)

Pinoy Big Brother simula po ngayong gabi!

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Aug 21, 2005 at 08:03 PM »
Subok uli kung mag-aapir na sa board!  ;) ;)

Pinoy Big Brother simula po ngayong gabi!

'Ngek!'

Ayaw pa rin! :( ??? :( ???

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 02:57 PM »
kakasawa at kakasuka na...news...segments...features regarding the ratings scandal.....pwe!!!  >:(

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #419 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 08:11 PM »
They have done it before and is doing it again. For ABS, this is a clear case of misleading the people to avoid further issues regarding Willie Revillame's "practice video"  on the alleged scam on Willie of Fortune.

If I may ask, where is the issue now?