Author Topic: Which preowned AVR to get  (Read 1715 times)

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which preowned AVR to get
« on: Oct 04, 2008 at 12:56 PM »
Hi

I have already shifted to diff HTIBs from samsung x20, to sony dav150k to sammy z210, and i still veeeeeery bitin, but i dont have that big budget to start a stand alone HT pag bnew ang kukunin ko. I've been browsing our for sale section and been seeing a lot of preowned AVRs, like munskie's Marantz for 18k, and other stuff like the HK 140 for 12k, HK145 for 18k din ata.

To cut to the chase, if I have a 20k budget to get the best preowned AVR that my money can buy, ano ang kukunin ko? Purpose is 30-70, movie-music.

Then if we've chosen already kung anong AVR, ano naman ang ipe-pair ko na speakers para dito, my friend got himself a bnew 9.1 wharfs,a dn US audio sub, 5.1 package price is 19k, bnew. Do you think OK na sya? O better to wait and look for preowned speakers, hindi naman ako maartekung preowned o bnew, as long as it is a good deal and will suit my budget.

My uncle kasi is very particular sa tunog, and he is amazed sa pv70 plasma ko, pero irritated sa sound ng sammy z210 ko, na nilalait nya.

Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008 at 01:02 PM by anchit »
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Which preowned AVR to get
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 01:08 PM »
Hi

I have already shifted to diff HTIBs from samsung x20, to sony dav150k to sammy z210, and i still veeeeeery bitin, but i dont have that big budget to start a stand alone HT pag bnew ang kukunin ko. I've been browsing our for sale section and been seeing a lot of preowned AVRs, like munskie's Marantz for 18k, and other stuff like the HK 140 for 12k, HK145 for 18k din ata.

To cut to the chase, if I have a 20k budget to get the best preowned AVR that my money can buy, ano ang kukunin ko? Purpose is 30-70, movie-music.

Then if we've chosen already kung anong AVR, ano naman ang ipe-pair ko na speakers para dito, my friend got himself a bnew 9.1 wharfs,a dn US audio sub, 5.1 package price is 19k, bnew. Do you think OK na sya? O better to wait and look for preowned speakers, hindi naman ako maartekung preowned o bnew, as long as it is a good deal and will suit my budget.

My uncle kasi is very particular sa tunog, and he is amazed sa pv70 plasma ko, pero irritated sa sound ng sammy z210 ko, na nilalait nya.

Thank you so much!

hi sir anchit. am not really into audio, but since you will be using this avr 70% of the time in music. based on all the readings i did here on pdvd. best avr with good music impressions would be yamahas and marantz. and if you are decided on the wharfe diamonds. this speaker set is known to pair well with yamahas. i just don't know if there are any pre-owned yamahas for sale sa marketplace. am not sure also if the diamonds will pair well with the marantz.

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 01:14 PM »
hi sir anchit. am not really into audio, but since you will be using this avr 70% of the time in music. based on all the readings i did here on pdvd. best avr with good music impressions would be yamahas and marantz. and if you are decided on the wharfe diamonds. this speaker set is known to pair well with yamahas. i just don't know if there are any pre-owned yamahas for sale sa marketplace. am not sure also if the diamonds will pair well with the marantz.

hi, thanks for your response, im not yet sure with the wharfs yet, kung makakakuha ba ako ng ibang speakers na preowned na ams ok i dont mind kahit 2nd had, i see some Missions sa for sale section, though im not sure how it performs.

The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 01:46 PM »
hi, thanks for your response, im not yet sure with the wharfs yet, kung makakakuha ba ako ng ibang speakers na preowned na ams ok i dont mind kahit 2nd had, i see some Missions sa for sale section, though im not sure how it performs.

missions good. its more expensive than wharfedales. and its known to pair well with onkyos. yun lang nga onkyos are not known for their musicality. mas ok sya for ht/movies.

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 06:14 PM »
+1

I have a mid-level HK & Onkyo , I still find the HK to be more musical.

that's HK 340 & Onkyo 705.

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 07:24 PM »
Denon and Marantz have good reputation as musical AVRs. :)  Getting a pre-owned AVR is a good idea since you get value for your money.  Your AVR should be a good match with your speakers to get the most out of your system.  Good luck!

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 10:17 AM »
Yamaha AVR and Wharfes speakers are perfect combination pre, if you can find a second hand hi-end AVR kahit old model, the better, any brands will do basta mid level or hi-end level, i tell you they sound better than the new entry level AVRs in the market :)

You can visit me minsan sa bahay pre para marinig mo setup ko, oldies but goodies, hehe malapit ka lang naman sa amin e ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline arnellspt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 09:22 AM »
There's 2 pre-owned Denon AVR's being sold now, check them out, one is the flagship model and one is in the mid-levels. Very good price is being offered. 

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 10:52 AM »
Hi

Thank you so much!

Will try to shake a little  ;D

I think the first thing I have to ask is ... what have been the choice of your speaker to support your 30/70 movie/music ratio?

I bought the Z10 'cause its cheap in some purchase strategy ... to use it as utility for my kids (rakrakan nila) in their HT stuff. But I would say it is very good for the right application - small HT area at normal decent listening (hindi rakrakan) - I am just guessing here kasi masetup ko pa yung unit ko sa Saturday (but this is typical of small HTIB application). Has optical input para lagyan mo ng ibang players. Can be used to upscale video up to 1080p.

Judging from the technology, Z210 used digital amps reason for its small footprint. looking at specs, it is rated at 3 ohms (133W daw per channel  :P but could be true at 10% and knowing digital amp can do this). Let's assume it is about 16W rms at less than 1% THD (audiophile kunwari tayo).

At 3 ohms, it can support my BG X1 at 4ohms  :o. At 93db, the 16W is more than enough to rock a bigger HT space!  8)

Bottomline, what sucks your Z210 is not the Z210 head unit per se - but those crappy speakers! They are best in their appropriate application (beautiful, unobtrusive presence, sleek, and may sound good at low levels due to its low sensitivity).

Thus, if you have speakers already, how about trying it with them? 8-ohm will not hurt the unit - but note, I think the speaker is cut at 100Hz (too bad). Need a sub that has speaker level input where you can tap the sub-out of the Z210 and give you a 2.1 experience. If it sounds good to your ears, surprise your uncle!  :D

Getting any of the pre-owned AVR will not also guarantee you a good sounding HT/music also! 20k may not need to fly immediately out of the pocket without the benefit of experimentation - its also fun to discover something without spending so much.

I can setup mine tonite for the sake of testing a 4-ohm BG X1 with Yamaha sub with speaker level input and give you my impression.  :)

Welcome to the unknowns!
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2008 at 11:01 AM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
Yamaha AVR and Wharfes speakers are perfect combination pre, if you can find a second hand hi-end AVR kahit old model, the better, any brands will do basta mid level or hi-end level, i tell you they sound better than the new entry level AVRs in the market :)

You can visit me minsan sa bahay pre para marinig mo setup ko, oldies but goodies, hehe malapit ka lang naman sa amin e ;)

I would TRY to make a 20K offer for Reynold's DSP-A1 if I were you.  Malamang no-chance but who knows.    ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2008 at 11:02 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 10:33 PM »
Okay as promised - and if it will interest you, I can emai you the shot of the innards of the Z210 - trying to get the digital amps used  :) . Will advise my research.

True enough, the crappy speakers sounds like garbage - what to expect! It is just a freebies thrown in for whatever you want to do with it! Not planning to use them though - will remain in the box!  ;D

In the manual, samsung speakers starts at 140Hz up, so most likely, the amp is cut at about 100-140Hz.

At this time am listening to the Z210 hooked on my X1 (4 ohm 93db speakers - 2 channel) only. My impressions:

loud beyond tolerance (night time na kasi) - and still pumping solid sound (dahil 93db speaker ko at full featured speaker)

in audiophile recording like jheena lodwig / susan wong / vocals such as those hand outs by hatori sound good (am not missing my bass  :) ) and can listen all night (how I wish) - Z210 sounds very good in my X1

I played mantovani strauss orchestra - the mid and upper register sound very good. am having thought I can already simplify my setup with this unit alone  ;D.

However, in my mantovani, since I did not connect the samsung sub (which I know is another crap), I missed the lower register >:( . So my decided on this:

- Get 2 idle speakers of decent sensitivity (86db or up) 8ohm each.
- tie them together (parallel) to make a speaker set of 4ohms.
- Then connect these 2 speakers to the sub out of the samsung (it is safe because samsung will tolerate 3 ohms)
- will serve as the reproducer of 140Hz and below freq. separate these 2 speakers as if they are left and right. U

nder the BOSE strategy, 200HZ is almost non-localized sound (samsung is at 140Hz - good hit for me  :D ). I used a 97db vintage aiwa  ;D (so got to pull down sub level)!

So all in all, you'll end up with full sonic nice sounding system that even your uncle will not believe is possible with the samsung thing (the head unit I mean) but not with the crappy speakers!

If I were you, I will not (rush) bet my 20k for another unknown receiver and unknown speaker until I can find whats possible with what you have right now. With those kenwood speakers at high sensitivity for a vintage look - will provide good bass if parallel (hooked) to sub out of samsung. and a 2nd hand audiophile bookshelf of your choice (x5) - and you still have more cash and a discovery that will change how you look at your samsung.

As usual - my grain of salt.

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2008 at 10:08 AM by aHobbit »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 10:12 AM »
To finish the tweak, got to change the wires supplied to about #14 or #12.

Truly, the only thing that matters in the Z210 package is the head unit. This is usually the case with those HTIBs. What makes it better than panasonic 46x series is that Z210 opted to have all speaker impedance output at 3 ohms - thus, capable to be tested in any kind of speaker system.

Happy listening!

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 10:36 AM »
I would TRY to make a 20K offer for Reynold's DSP-A1 if I were you.  Malamang no-chance but who knows.    ;D ;D

Higher, hehehe ;D ;D ;D
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline firm

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2008 at 09:54 PM »
HARMAN KARDON 630 hanap ka nito ndi ka magsisi

Offline moks

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 09:23 PM »
ok na ba yung price na 14k para sa pre-owned na denon avr-3802?