Author Topic: Should Subjects on NMTs be Banned from PinoyDVD?  (Read 16825 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Should Subjects on NMTs be Banned from PinoyDVD?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
I have 200 gb of photos which I have downloaded to the hdd of my NMT. It's so convenient and great to display my pics on a 120" screen.

I plan to get another 1 TB external hdd so I can download my cd collection of about 700 gb. Its just great to have the NMT display my photos on a big screen and facilitate my selection of CD's through a single remote, without getting out of your seat. And in the future, I will likely have a server to handle all of my hdd's.

If I transfer my collection of 1400 DVD's to the hdd of an NMT so I can easily play any movie, will that be illegal? I will check all of this with my lawyer on Monday but I really don't think I would have any legal problem.

This is the future. Let's not get stuck in the past.

Good for you sir. The question here is the majority of users buy NMTs for the sole purpose of playing pirated HD media. NMTs entices people to download/swap illegal/ripped HD DVD/ Blu ray and other copyrighted material. I hope you don't keep any pirated files on your NMT.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 09:17 PM »
First, I like your avatar liner "life is too short..."  ;)

The only thing I do not wish will be for such things to go underground...and for avid members here to have to just pretend that these things does not exist just because it cannot be discussed here...

::)
-JackRyan

Those are my intentions sir. Anything that encourages piracy is no good. To discourage/deny purchase of NMTs would make it harder for "avid" collector to get their hands on pirated material.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #32 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 09:18 PM »
I get my materials from all sources... so I cannot claim to be like you that has only legal copies... but, you may want to give NMT a try... technology wise, it can give the usual blu-ray and legacy HD-DVD players very good competition...

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 09:24 PM »
Those are my intentions sir. Anything that encourages piracy is no good. To discourage/deny purchase of NMTs would make it harder for "avid" collector to get their hands on pirated material.

While I cannot dispute your objective, however, you may want to also consider other approaches than just banning the topic. If you do, will it make the problem go away... perhaps at the surface, but I cant bet it will go underground... and once it does, will it make more difficult for someone like you to at least educate folks here? most likely...

All in all, I agree to your point that life is short... and in moderation,not excess, in all things, it can be a far more meaningful life...

I've shared my piece... I'll let the others to share their ideas and opinions... let's have a great life ahead of us!  ;)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 09:27 PM »
Thanks for the offer sir, but piracy is still piracy. I can get Iron Man and Indy IV HD content right away, but I choose to wait for the real deal. Still playing airsoft sir?

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 09:37 PM »
Thanks for the offer sir, but piracy is still piracy. I can get Iron Man and Indy IV HD content right away, but I choose to wait for the real deal. Still playing airsoft sir?

OT: Yep, but semi-retired... this topic reminds me of the ACM and non-ACM discussions that splintered the airsoft community into various factions...  ;)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #36 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 09:49 PM »
Guys sorry :-[ But we all know the reason why NMTs are selling like hotcakes these past few days :( Its bec of the free contents whether GIVEN by the sellers or DOWNLOADED by the owners. So lets be man enough to accept that we really did cross the line on this one :( Sabi nga ni marvin lets respect the mods on this one. ;) Pinoydvd has been created and maintained all these years bec we share the same passion of collecting and watching dvds in the coziness of our own place.And now comes the NMTs were we openly discuss swapping of files and worst is saying that orig dvds and Bds are no matched for ripped programs :(. Its like saying na tanga na lang bibili ng original ngayon, as in para na rin don sa discussion about the gears na Tanga yung mga may pera who buys branded gears :( :( :(

As for not earning big enough to enjoy originals,well bro im sorry but its like those criminals that got caught  na kaya sila nagnakaw ay dahil wala sila pera ;D Lahat tayo may sariling dahilan why we do things, but please lets not justify if we did something wrong(lets save it for the wife ;D ;D ;D). Im sure we would not like it kung yung mga kids natin ay mangangatwiran ng baliko :D I know ill get the heat on this one but I feel we need to respect the site that has helped and supported us for the longest time. :) :) :) :)

And Sir mouldingo thank you for removing the post you made yesterday about poor mans HD ;D ouch eh ;D ;D ;D

As for mp3 players, well thats another issue and most audiophiles just ripped their orig cds and transfer it lossless to their mp3players, thats what I did ;)

Guys since we all have the data we need to know I think ok na wag na natin discuss yung free contents including NMTs ;)  Peace ;)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 10:26 PM »
The OP's intention is noble and cannot be disputed.  But Piracy is a problem beyond the control of this community.  And it will take another gargantuan discussion on the moral, ethical, economical and practical reasons on why people do it, or dont do it.  And the board will not allow such discussion.

So while I admit that I also get my HD fix from various sources and have also participated in some of the discussion regarding the issue, I also want to respect the board's policy at the same time.

Maybe we can learn from this post:

PinoyDVD.com is about DVDs for DVD enthusiasts. We are interested in the content and technical aspects of the DVD format, the joys of collecting, frustrations regarding pricing and availability, etc. However, the details of where and how you get your DVDs is your business, not ours. While collectively we don't agree with enforced regional coding, we do recognize that piracy is a critical concern for everyone, whether you reject it, endorse it, or occasionally participate in it.

Therefore, please limit all posts to movie title and technical references, and refrain from mentioning and discussing pirated discs. You can buy your DVDs for P10 for all we care, but if a person wants details about where you got the disc, please discuss it over PM or e-mail. As always, we reserve the right to edit posts that we feel may not represent the best interests of the community.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Its from the archived piracy topic in this board, posted by one our moderators.   Let us take our cue from there.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008 at 10:37 PM by Munskie »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 10:27 PM »
Guys sorry :-[ But we all know the reason why NMTs are selling like hotcakes these past few days :( Its bec of the free contents whether GIVEN by the sellers or DOWNLOADED by the owners. So lets be man enough to accept that we really did cross the line on this one :( Sabi nga ni marvin lets respect the mods on this one. ;) Pinoydvd has been created and maintained all these years bec we share the same passion of collecting and watching dvds in the coziness of our own place.And now comes the NMTs were we openly discuss swapping of files and worst is saying that orig dvds and Bds are no matched for ripped programs :(. Its like saying na tanga na lang bibili ng original ngayon, as in para na rin don sa discussion about the gears na Tanga yung mga may pera who buys branded gears :( :( :(

As for not earning big enough to enjoy originals,well bro im sorry but its like those criminals that got caught  na kaya sila nagnakaw ay dahil wala sila pera ;D Lahat tayo may sariling dahilan why we do things, but please lets not justify if we did something wrong(lets save it for the wife ;D ;D ;D). Im sure we would not like it kung yung mga kids natin ay mangangatwiran ng baliko :D I know ill get the heat on this one but I feel we need to respect the site that has helped and supported us for the longest time. :) :) :) :)

And Sir mouldingo thank you for removing the post you made yesterday about poor mans HD ;D ouch eh ;D ;D ;D

As for mp3 players, well thats another issue and most audiophiles just ripped their orig cds and transfer it lossless to their mp3players, thats what I did ;)

Guys since we all have the data we need to know I think ok na wag na natin discuss yung free contents including NMTs ;)  Peace ;)

Thanks for the support sir!

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 10:41 PM »
This is really a touchy question.  Sure, NMT can store legal contents, but 90% (or more) of people shell out cash for a NMT to watch movies.  You can rip your own DVD to hard drive, but who does?  (unless it's shifting it to a portable medium like iphone).  

From a personal standpoint, I am against the discussion of NMTs and contents.  Maybe I am selfish, but as said, if you pay hard-earned cash for your content, but see your neighbor enjoying a higher quality content for free. Something's amiss.  If it goes on long enough (without consequence) sooner or later you would join the game.

But I do understand that you can't stop technology.  If mp3 players discussion and production were banned when the Rio was out, then there would be no ipod of today.   Just as Napster forces the (media) rights holder to rethink their distribution methods, so would NMTs, if it's a hit.    And like it or not, without piracy, we'd be paying 1,500 for any DVDs.  So it's really a double-edged sword.

Maybe, we could just continue discussing NMTs - but how do you without saying without content (ie IronMan MKV is better than Ironman Bluray, when clearly the MKV is pirated stuff) ???  Discussion of sources, and trading of such stuff be banned.  Let the technology game play out for awhile, then calibrate PinoyDVD's response then...

This post contains contradictions, but that is the problem facing this board, this is a hard topic to juggle.  
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 10:43 PM »
Exhibit A

Gentlemen,

After the resounding results of the EB shootout last Saturday (Sept 27/08) at sir Mark aka streetsmart's humble abode, we are organizing a group buy that would reap a substantial discount provided there would be a good number of buyers for EGREAT EG-M31B:

Package:
EGREAT EG-M31B bundled with an INTERNAL 1TB pre-installed with 100++ HD movies :o :o :o

Original price is 20K.
Please add your name to the list if you are interested. We "hope" to complete the list within a week's time from today or as soon as possible.
The "discount" will depend on the "number of buyers" and most definitely, on "payment terms".

Warranty is 18 months.
Buyers will have the privilege of unlimited downloads from the store where item will be purchased from.

For any inquiries on the egreat 31B, You can PM Richie See aka Gren of Pinoydvd or visit this multiply site:http://ehome.multiply.com/photos/album/14/Egreat_EG-M31B

Thanks.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008 at 10:49 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 10:52 PM »
Again, the intent to play illegal pirated HD content is the sole purpose for the purchase of NMTs for most...

this statement maybe true, but it wont stand in court (joke only  ;D). but seriously, i guess its still not enough reason to ban discussions about the medium. because technically it can play legal materials, i can even connect it with an external dvd drive and it will play dvds and cds (legal or illegal).

banning discussions regarding torrents for me is a step in the right direction.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:05 PM »
Froot, halos pareho lang tayo ng results sa shoot-out... :P

Popcorn     BD30     Pio      Oppo       Correct audio 
 3.25         3.58     2.67     2.58        5 right except 1

So, technically, BD is the way to go for me based on the shoot out. But since the PQ of the PCH is very close to that of the BD, in terms of price, i'll lean towards the PCH/Egreat. ;D

And that for a comparison between a pirated HD DVD rip and an original blu ray. Nice promotion guys!
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:19 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:18 PM »
Thanks for the support! ;D

Quote from: XXXXXXXlink=action=profile;u=xxxxxx date=1223126481
Hi, Sir!

It's about time someone took notice on the NMT's and the piracy that comes with it. Thanks for taking the initiative. It really saddens me that several members of this community are joining Jack Sparrow under the disguise of "sharing" content.

I thought this was a piracy-free forum, that's why I love it... now I'm beginning to doubt it. :(

I hate pirates. If they can't afford the technology, they shouldn't use it (or should go open source).

XXXXXXX :)

P.S. I voted YES. ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:19 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:20 PM »
I voted WTH are you talking about.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:30 PM »
Let's get back to the poll:

"Since most NMT media contents are ripped/pirated material. Should it be banned? "

This is an eminently legal matter and you are making pretty strong generalizations.

I guess the questions are ...

A lot of PC's in the Philipines use pirated material (is that statement true? I don't know!). Ergo, PC's should be banned in the Philippines?

A lot of ipods in the Philippines use pirated material (tama ba yun?? ewan .. ). Ergo, ipods should be banned in the Philippines?

DVD writers? CD writers? Tape recorders?
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:48 PM »
Let's get back to the poll:

"Since most NMT media contents are ripped/pirated material. Should it be banned? "

This is an eminently legal matter and you are making pretty strong generalizations.

I guess the questions are ...

A lot of PC's in the Philipines use pirated material (is that statement true? I don't know!). Ergo, PC's should be banned in the Philippines?

A lot of ipods in the Philippines use pirated material (tama ba yun?? ewan .. ). Ergo, ipods should be banned in the Philippines?

DVD writers? CD writers? Tape recorders?

Sir, the ban would apply here in PinoyDVD, not the entire Philippines. Any discussion in the forums subject concerning NMTs such as Popcorn Hour, Egreat and Novatron will not be allowed. Some of those who voted against the polls openly advocates such players and praise the use of media that are known to them to be pirated, including yourself.  Bawal ang pirated dito sa Pinoy DVD, alam naman niyo iyan sir.

Quote from: streetsmart
Yesterday, I watched Ironman and Vantage Point on the egreat 31b. Both movies were 1080p and both were excellent! No stutters. No artifacts. No problems... except maybe the need to stop and exit first when you need subtitles. I will keep posting my experience as I watch other 1080p movies. Dami pa.

May kaya naman kayo sir...
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:55 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:48 PM »
My *guess* is that a lot of members in this site understand that there should NEVER be any discussion about piracy. It's a LEGAL problem for the owner of this site. That is understood and that should always be respected. If I were in his shoes, I would be very nervous about this!

But with respect to discussions about sources, which may play legal or whatever material, that's a different matter. If you don't pay any attention to that, you will go the same way as many computer companies in the 80's and 90's - they died. It's technology. In my view, the technology is brilliant, and its here to stay.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 11:54 PM »
So ripping/pirating of HD DVD/Blu ray sources are okay with you sir? Why did you become a 1000 title DVD collector in the first place?  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:06 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:01 AM »
So ripping/pirating of HD DVD/Blu ray sources are okay with you sir? Why did you become a 1000 title DVD collector in the first ?  ??? ??? ???

I really don't understand what you are trying to say, Mr. Mouldingo. There is no logic whatsoever.

Are you saying that nagyayabang ako? Nagbobola ako na marami ako DVD? At ikaw ay may 250+ Bluray?
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:01 AM by streetsmart »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:05 AM »
Its really unfair to those here in PinoyDVD who collect DVD or Blu ray. And yet here comes the NMT band wagon singing praises on how great it is, pirated lang nga ung laman. It like their saying "Scr*w your collection, We got a better medium and it's all free!"

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:06 AM »
@Mouldingo

Sir..ask ko lang..kayo po ba ni minsan hindi nakagamit/gumamit ng *P* materials?

Mataas ba at nakakaluwag kayo sa buhay?

maraming salamat po.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:09 AM »
You know, it's up to the owners of this site .. and I will respect whatever decision they make - of course cuz they own this site and I love them for that! And if I were in their shoes, the issue would be legal. And if the United States of America has not banned NMT's, why should I ban *discussions* on NMT's?

My take:

Discussions on NMT's: Ok

Discussions on piracy: Banned

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #53 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:10 AM »
@Mouldingo

Sir..ask ko lang..kayo po ba ni minsan hindi nakagamit/gumamit ng *P* materials?

Mataas ba at nakakaluwag kayo sa buhay?

maraming salamat po.

Does it mean that if you cannot afford DVDs and other disk format you are entitled to use *P* materials?

So kung hindi mo afford ang meat, nanakawin mo na lang?

Piracy is never an economic issue, plain and simple, it is stealing.

maraming salamat din.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:15 AM »
Does it mean that if you cannot afford DVDs and other disk format you are entitled to use *P* materials?

So kung hindi mo afford ang meat, nanakawin mo na lang?

Piracy is never an economic issue, plain and simple, it is stealing.

maraming salamat din.

Akoy nagtatanong po lamang...no harm meant...just want to clear things.. we all know we have  LOTS of priority in life.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:16 AM »
I really don't understand what you are trying to say, Mr. Mouldingo. There is no logic whatsoever.

Are you saying that nagyayabang ako? Nagbobola ako na marami ako DVD? At ikaw ay may 250+ Bluray?

I just wanted to point out that being able to have a good collection of DVDs, I would be suprised if you would start collecting/advocating Pirated HD content. I hope you do delete those...
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:34 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:25 AM »
Cease fire muna!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:38 AM »
Its really unfair to those here in PinoyDVD who collect DVD or Blu ray. And yet here comes the NMT band wagon singing praises on how great it is, pirated lang nga ung laman. It like their saying "Scr*w your collection, We got a better medium and it's all free!"

If you think that way, that is really really sad. Having met a lot of Pinoydvd members, I believe that those guys will never say "Scr*w your collection, We got a better medium and it's all free!"

You know, that's in your imagination. The guys in Pinoydvd are really great and cool guys. Keep cool too

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:45 AM »

You know, it's up to the owners of this site .. and I will respect whatever decision they make - of course cuz they own this site and I love them for that! And if I were in their shoes, the issue would be legal. And if the United States of America has not banned NMT's, why should I ban *discussions* on NMT's?

My take:

Discussions on NMT's: Ok

Discussions on piracy: Banned

Self-policing on outlawed discussions would help.  

I for one dont really care on how people source out their movies. Thats their decision and prerogative.  

But we should stop na yung comparisons (and that includes me), so no egos bruised.  No tempers that would flare.

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:47 AM by Munskie »

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #59 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:49 AM »
Why is it we need to start a thread that would most probably spark various arguments from people with differing opinions?  My opinion of course, but from the title pa lang, I knew may arguments ulit mangyayari.