Author Topic: Php 150.00 CD player tweak  (Read 3881 times)

Offline ericgnu

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Php 150.00 CD player tweak
« on: Jan 11, 2009 at 01:50 PM »
Guys, just want to share a tweak i did to my player. We've all read about lining the underside of the cd player cover plate with some kind of internal damping material.

Well, bought 1 roll of flashband flashing tape from our local hardware store.... took out the cover and lined it with a single layer of the tape.

Wasnt expecting any results out of this one.... but come testing... wow!!! big improvement really!!

The mids were much clearer, tighter bass and mid kinda harsh highs were really tamed in a very subtle way!! soundstage seems to have improved as well.

Must have been because of the damping properties of the flashband... that seems to surpress any unwanted internal vibration of the player... especially coming from the motor itself.

A little caution here, should you decide to take out the tape if your not satisified.... you might find it a little messy doing so as the tape is really stick and leaves off a gooey residue on the player cover.... but still ... worth a try.

cheers.

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Php 150.00 CD player tweak
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM »
Nice one, congrats.  ;D

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM »
congrats.
to those who are planning to try, better put some masking tape or the likes  (under) before putting those para madali tanggalin if you change your mind later...
 :)

A little caution here, should you decide to take out the tape if your not satisified.... you might find it a little messy doing so as the tape is really stick and leaves off a gooey residue on the player cover.... but still ... worth a try.

cheers.

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 01:16 PM »
Guys, just want to share a tweak i did to my player. We've all read about lining the underside of the cd player cover plate with some kind of internal damping material.

Well, bought 1 roll of flashband flashing tape from our local hardware store.... took out the cover and lined it with a single layer of the tape.

Wasnt expecting any results out of this one.... but come testing... wow!!! big improvement really!!

The mids were much clearer, tighter bass and mid kinda harsh highs were really tamed in a very subtle way!! soundstage seems to have improved as well.

Must have been because of the damping properties of the flashband... that seems to surpress any unwanted internal vibration of the player... especially coming from the motor itself.

cheers.

hi... can you post some pics on how to do this :)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
try this:
-get a dynamat from any reputable auto accessories store
-remove your cdp top cover
-cut the dynamat to the size covering the entire transport area of your cdp
-apply the dynamat to the under side of the topcover such that it lies exactly atop your transport area.
-re-place the cdp top cover and hear the difference.

if if works, u can do the same for your power amp and pre amps. only difference is that you should apply them beneath the top cover lying exactly above the transformer sections.

enjoy.

im allan - 09178087173

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 02:03 PM »
try this:
-get a dynamat from any reputable auto accessories store
-remove your cdp top cover
-cut the dynamat to the size covering the entire transport area of your cdp
-apply the dynamat to the under side of the topcover such that it lies exactly atop your transport area.
-re-place the cdp top cover and hear the difference.

if if works, u can do the same for your power amp and pre amps. only difference is that you should apply them beneath the top cover lying exactly above the transformer sections.

enjoy.

what should we expect from this tweak allan?
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 02:16 PM »
much like the wonder it would do to your car audio set up...
highs - glare and grain will be eliminated resulting to very relaxing and smooth highs.
mids - a bit of lessening the openess but would gain by improving the focus and solidity of imaging
lows - a little bit tighter and extended
clarity/resolution - the background will be very quiet comparing it without the mats. hence, more of the nuances will be unveiled.
air - a reduction in air as mentioned above. upside will be improved focus and solidity of imaging.

systems sounding from neutral to brite would gain more benefit from this tweak. may not be good for laid back sounding systems but would really depend on the listener's ear pa din.

i did this with my cdp transport and preamplifier trannies. next move will be to do the same for the amplifier trannies.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 06:44 PM »
its better to try this if you're into car audio already, then use the spare Dynamat for the CD transport at home  :)

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 06:51 PM »
its better to try this if you're into car audio already, then use the spare Dynamat for the CD transport at home  :)

puwede...
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 06:01 PM »
Allan, can you post some pictures on the procedures you've done?? Thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 06:21 PM »
Allan, can you post some pictures on the procedures you've done?? Thanks!

+1 im interested in doing this kaso i need a graphic description on how you did it im not that techy :)

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 07:47 PM »

was thinking of doing this with my Sony CDP-333ESJ (X303ES) when I noticed that its cover underside is already like this:

Another piece of sheet metal of the same thickness as the cover was there with felt attached exactly on top of the transport section..
I was not sure if one of the past owners of this unit did this as tweak so I tried to research and this is what I saw in TVK Sony ES section.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/CDPX777ES/CDPX777ES-more.html

This particular model has felt on its cover underside. Not sure with other models. If you will notice the location of the felt, one is approximately on top of the transport area.

If Sony has been doing this with its ES top series model, then maybe something must be right with this tweak..  :)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 09:12 PM »
This is also present on the Sony X33ES model I have at home.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 07:12 AM »
fyi only....

this tweak is also found in stock pieces of mark levinson transports and cd players. in these ML units would be found "dynamat" brands to be specific.  ;)
im allan - 09178087173