Author Topic: Egreat NMTs  (Read 224398 times)

Offline gren

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Egreat NMTs
« on: Oct 08, 2008 at 12:46 AM »
Hi guys:

Please post your Egreat related discussions and questions here.  This is a technical/general information thread.  For sales related inquiries, please direct them to the appropriate post(s).

Some links you might want to hit first:
- http://www.networkedmediatank.com - this leads to the general  NMT site as  hosted by Sayabas / Popcornhour.  The forums are of particular interest to those looking to troubleshoot their NMTs.  The WIKI also contains the latest 'manual'

- http://www.mpcclub.com -- this leads to *THE* site for reviews and articles for media players of all sorts (not just NMTs).

- http://www.smallnetbuilder.com -- I find this site to be of particular interest, especially for products and articles that will help you expand your NMT's features and capabilities.  Look up their NAS and LAN/WAN reviews

gren

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Egreat NMTs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2008 at 11:26 PM »
pre question lang. If lets say you own a PCH A100 that has a 500GB internal drive with NMT apps plus movies installed then you decide to get an egreat e31b, can you outright get the Hard Disk and plug it in the egreat then boot up? Or do you need to re-install the apps or reformat the HD? Then say after e31b, you decide to get PCH A110, can you just get the HD then put it in the A110 or say an HDX1000?
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:01 AM »
Theoretically, it SHOULD be swappable, seeing that it's a higher layer (think application layer) software that's installed into the hard drives, as opposed to firmware.   I'll try it out tomorrow.

Incidentally, you're right, the 081808 firmware is out for the egreat.  DTS-TrueHD passthrough, but no DTS decoding (boo).  Will check out the other changes.

pre question lang. If lets say you own a PCH A100 that has a 500GB internal drive with NMT apps plus movies installed then you decide to get an egreat e31b, can you outright get the Hard Disk and plug it in the egreat then boot up? Or do you need to re-install the apps or reformat the HD? Then say after e31b, you decide to get PCH A110, can you just get the HD then put it in the A110 or say an HDX1000?

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:04 AM »
Hi Gren! ;D Have you been getting much sleep? ::) Anyway, I shall let you know tomorrow, the HD capacity for the Egreat I'm getting from you. ;D

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 08:21 AM »
Ritchie, thank you for accomodating me and my bro yesterday.  We're very happy in adding EG to my HT system :D May hangover pa ako ng HD PQ & SQ until now, sobrang ganda talaga :) Excited na nga ako umuwi ;D

By the way, installing the software to my PC was very easy pala. I was able to explore the folders and contents and remaining disk space. One question... after connecting EG to PC, there was "&recycle.bin" folder that was created.  I did'nt delete that folder and same folder was displayed when i connected it back to TV. Is this folder automatically created everytime i connect EG to PC? Can i delete this also everytime it is created?   

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 08:41 AM »
One question... after connecting EG to PC, there was "&recycle.bin" folder that was created.  I did'nt delete that folder and same folder was displayed when i connected it back to TV. Is this folder automatically created everytime i connect EG to PC? Can i delete this also everytime it is created?  

i think this comes about when you delete something from the egreat while its connected to the pc :) i just delete this folder whenever it comes up :)

-jb

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 10:06 AM »
stupid question... hopefully to be answered...

does nmt support subtitles? how's the application?

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
i think this comes about when you delete something from the egreat while its connected to the pc :) i just delete this folder whenever it comes up :)

-jb

I think that recycle folder is created by the PC.  It sees the EGreat as an external hard drive right?

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM »
stupid question... hopefully to be answered...

does nmt support subtitles? how's the application?

Yes it does.  If your file has subtitle embedded or if you have a separate subtitle file (e.g. .srt, .sub), you will see the subtitle.  But first, you have to make sure that the subtitle option is turned on in the preference setting.  The good thing about NMT is that you can change the font size, font color, the location and timing of the subtitle.  Very convenient indeed.

AFAIK, the subtitle supports english character only (?). Chinese, Korean subs are not supported (?).  Maybe someone can confirm this.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2008 at 10:34 AM by milken »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 10:53 AM »

The good thing about NMT is that you can change the font size, font color, the location and timing of the subtitle.  Very convenient indeed.

How fast can you do that?  Kase with HTPC, you simply type the time lag in milliseconds, which could be any number positive or negative.  Using an NMT, how do you go about resynching audio and video if say, the lag is like 2 mins (as in the case of some TV shows where they show "previously on blah blah...." for about 2 mins but the subtitle starts only from the actual new episode.

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 11:07 AM »
Does simply putting the subtitle file (.srt, .sub) in the same folder as the main video file enable the subtitle options?
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 11:20 AM »
How fast can you do that?  Kase with HTPC, you simply type the time lag in milliseconds, which could be any number positive or negative.  Using an NMT, how do you go about resynching audio and video if say, the lag is like 2 mins (as in the case of some TV shows where they show "previously on blah blah...." for about 2 mins but the subtitle starts only from the actual new episode.

I haven't tried changing the timing of the subtitle though.  But I remember there's a fixed increment fraction of seconds (can't remember how many fraction. 0.5 sec maybe??) Check ko pag uwi ko.  I fiddled with all the buttons in the remote once so I know there's such an option.

With regard to synching audio and video, I don't think NMT can do that.  Even on PC, you need mkvmerge to delay or advance the audio with respect to the video.  Mas madali yung subtitle to sync with audio+video..

Does simply putting the subtitle file (.srt, .sub) in the same folder as the main video file enable the subtitle options?

Yes I think so.  According to the specs, NMT supports MicroDVD [.sub], SubRip [.srt], Sub Station Alpha [.ssa], Sami [.smi]  But haven't actually tried it.  Most of my files have embedded subtitles. 

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
New firmware update  0818

http://www.egreatworld.com/en/support.asp

I hope they fixed the issue on Transmission 'coz I can't seem to access it.  :(

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM »
I think that recycle folder is created by the PC.  It sees the EGreat as an external hard drive right?

yes, EG is seen as an external hard drive

-jb
Wala naman akong na-delete na file.  so, its safe to delete that created folder by the PC

Another question... I want to disconnect EG to PC without shutting down the PC.  Is it safe also to turn-off EG and disconnect the USB connection? wala kasing eject option when i right-click on the EG drive.

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 11:56 AM »

there's a fixed increment fraction of seconds (can't remember how many fraction. 0.5 sec maybe??)

yup its .5 sec + or - for subtitles. regarding external subs, you put the sub file in the same folder with the video file. it should be the same name with the video file, + the .srt extension. :)

Another question... I want to disconnect EG to PC without shutting down the PC.  Is it safe also to turn-off EG and disconnect the USB connection? wala kasing eject option when i right-click on the EG drive.

with my egreat, i eject the hardware first from the pc just like any other usb or external drive through the safely eject hardware icon at the right side of the taskbar.  the hd of the egreat comes out as 3 diff drives on my pc, only 1 can be ejected, try a different letter drive nalang pag ayaw maeject :)
them switch off the unit then unplug the usb cable. :)

-jb
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:03 PM by penguin230 »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:10 PM »
Ooops typo.  I meanst synching subtitle and audio.

So kung increment of +-.5 sec ang synching, I'd have to press the remote like 240 times in case the sub and the audio are off by 2 mins.  What if the lag is not exactly an increment of 0.5 secs?

If the PC sees the EG as an external drive, then that recycle.bin folder is normal.  The PC does the same thing when you connect a plain external hard drive to it.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:12 PM »

Yes it does.  If your file has subtitle embedded or if you have a separate subtitle file (e.g. .srt, .sub), you will see the subtitle.  But first, you have to make sure that the subtitle option is turned on in the preference setting.  The good thing about NMT is that you can change the font size, font color, the location and timing of the subtitle.  Very convenient indeed.

AFAIK, the subtitle supports english character only (?). Chinese, Korean subs are not supported (?).  Maybe someone can confirm this.

You can actually turn subtitles on and off "on the fly," while watching movies. Just press the subtitle button on the remote and then press right arrow.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:22 PM »
So kung increment of +-.5 sec ang synching, I'd have to press the remote like 240 times in case the sub and the audio are off by 2 mins.  What if the lag is not exactly an increment of 0.5 secs?

press and hold? i haven't really tried syncing subs that are more than a couple of seconds out of sync though :) and its .5 seconds, so if the sub is still lets say .25 seconds off, either you choose it to be .25 ahead or late :) or get another sub file, which is what i do for really out of sync subs :)

-jb

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:29 PM »
press and hold? i haven't really tried syncing subs that are more than a couple of seconds out of sync though :) and its .5 seconds, so if the sub is still lets say .25 seconds off, either you choose it to be .25 ahead or late :) or get another sub file, which is what i do for really out of sync subs :)

-jb

The Wife who cant live without subs made me synch a sub and audio which are 1 hour off.  In some cases, the subs that perfectly match the MKV are those derived from multi-disks or fragmented encodes.  For example the encoded version of Once Upon A Time In America has like 5 or 6 subtitle segments which are real pain to sync. 

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:37 PM »
yup, subtitles are really hit or miss i think. maybe you can try out different subtitle files and see which fits :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM »
yup, subtitles are really hit or miss i think. maybe you can try out different subtitle files and see which fits :)

That's The Wife's problem.  hehe.   I dont want subs but she needs subs.   I only help if she asks.  She found the 1-hour lag a little bit too challenging considering the fact that you have to convert 1 hour in milliseconds.  But she's quite adept with synching for the most part.  Ang bilis nga nyang mag-synch.   ;D

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 01:00 PM »
haven't really looked into 0818 yet, we installed it on one machine last night.

for the transmission non-access issue, current conjecture is that accessing the older client, whether via nmt or web, can cause the non-accessible 8077 port issue.  not verified.  solution right now (unverified) seems to be reinstalling the NMT application package.

Hopefully 0818 will do better.

New firmware update  0818

http://www.egreatworld.com/en/support.asp

I hope they fixed the issue on Transmission 'coz I can't seem to access it.  :(

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 06:45 PM »
haven't really looked into 0818 yet, we installed it on one machine last night.

for the transmission non-access issue, current conjecture is that accessing the older client, whether via nmt or web, can cause the non-accessible 8077 port issue.  not verified.  solution right now (unverified) seems to be reinstalling the NMT application package.

Hopefully 0818 will do better.

Richie, hope to hear from your findings on new firmware.  and also step by step procedure on how to update firmware.
TIA :)

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 01:44 AM »
as reported by one of our clients -- DD - TrueHD works!  TrueHD-capable receiver owners please confirm :>

we upgraded one problematic install (8077 BT Client not working) and it seems that Bit Torrent has been fixed a bit.  we need to verify this further though.

i'll try to provide a step by step guide tomorrow. but roughly speaking:

- download http://www.hdtank.com/0818.rar
- extract files to a usb drive
- put the drive into your egreat
- go to the appropriate usb drive location
- select the TEXT category from the media type selection (you know: movie, audio, pictures, text)
- press ENTER on the linda.htm file
- press ENTER when highlighting the new firmmware link
- watch the progress bar
- watch the nmt restart
- voila!

Richie, hope to hear from your findings on new firmware.  and also step by step procedure on how to update firmware.
TIA :)

Offline nvektus

• Collector
  • audio.video.disco
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM »
thanks for the awesome service when i picked-up my egreat the other day.  it's an amazing little toy... very highly recommended!!  my only issue is the the lack of a dts decoder.

OT: are those aztech homeplug av capable of streaming hd materials from a NAS?  i'm thinking of going this route to archive all my home videos, pics, cd's, etc.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 09:33 PM »
Hey Richie, thanks for being so accomodating this afternoon when I came to pick-up my unit! ;D I can't wait to play around with it and begin viewing films in full HD!!! Yeah baby!!! :D Again, to you and your staff...more power! ;) I'll be visiting you soon for updates. ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM »
Hey Richie, thanks for being so accomodating this afternoon when I came to pick-up my unit! ;D I can't wait to play around with it and begin viewing films in full HD!!! Yeah baby!!! :D Again, to you and your staff...more power! ;) I'll be visiting you soon for updates. ;D

Ahem >:( >:( >:(

Quote from: Clondalkin
It should be common sense by now that any seller who sells an HDD packaged with NMT has got to contain something.  Otherwise, that woud be like giving you a car in the middle of the desert with empty tank.  It is already widely known that those sellers and many other members have some contents in whatever storage media they own.  So lets just stop talking about those contents publicly.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2008 at 11:13 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 02:50 AM »
it's on my to-do list.  I've tried streaming a few things before, with mixed results.  i'd rather test it in 'real world' conditions rather than the 'less than ideal' setup here at the shop, particularly situations that have long runs of power cabling, as well as a more varied set of electrical devices installed within the circuit.

thus far, we've tested the Netgear Wireless-N bridges with better results, though it still cannot sustain higher bit rates (6-10 MB/sec) common with higher resolution files (1080p), but lower bit rate files (720p) can be streamed relatively smoothly with minimal stuttering.

thanks for the awesome service when i picked-up my egreat the other day.  it's an amazing little toy... very highly recommended!!  my only issue is the the lack of a dts decoder.

OT: are those aztech homeplug av capable of streaming hd materials from a NAS?  i'm thinking of going this route to archive all my home videos, pics, cd's, etc.

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #28 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 05:53 AM »
hey richie,

Thanks for the excellent service last thursday. One happy customer here. Keep up the good work!!! :) :) :)

Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM »

btw, my partner told me you can't swap hdd between models and expect them to work properly.  this was between the 31a and 31b.  will confirm this with the latest firmware.

hey richie,

Thanks for the excellent service last thursday. One happy customer here. Keep up the good work!!! :) :) :)