Author Topic: Macintosh and NMT - HELP!!!  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Macintosh and NMT - HELP!!!
« on: Oct 26, 2008 at 11:38 AM »
I'm having a very difficult time mounting the internal HDD of my HDX1000 to my Macbook.  When I connect using the USB slave, it doesn't show on my system.  I also installed ext2fs for Mac but unsuccessful.  Thus, I cannot save movies from Mac to the internal hard disk.

Anyone here who uses a Mac with NMT?

Thanks.

Lance

Offline Javoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Macintosh and NMT - HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2008 at 12:35 PM »
I'm having a very difficult time mounting the internal HDD of my HDX1000 to my Macbook.  When I connect using the USB slave, it doesn't show on my system.  I also installed ext2fs for Mac but unsuccessful.  Thus, I cannot save movies from Mac to the internal hard disk.

Anyone here who uses a Mac with NMT?

Thanks.

Lance

Hi,

I have an eGreat and I am also still experimenting on connecting the device as a USB slave to my mac.  I also could not get ext2fs to work but I was able to use the ext2fsd to work on parallels/WinXP and this combination was able to detect the NMT's drive.   

Since this is still in experimentation mode, I just copy files to the nmt via SMB connection in the meantime. 

Cheers!

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2008 at 02:36 PM »
Thanks Javoy.  Seems like we have the same problem.  However, I do not have a parallel connection.  I can watch my downloads thru an external USB  but cannot save on the internal HDD of my NMT.

I guess I do not have a choice but to use XP and install ext2fsd.  Is there a difference between format of ext2 and ext3?  btw, what is a smb connection?

Lance

Offline Javoy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2008 at 03:10 PM »
Thanks Javoy.  Seems like we have the same problem.  However, I do not have a parallel connection.  I can watch my downloads thru an external USB  but cannot save on the internal HDD of my NMT.

I guess I do not have a choice but to use XP and install ext2fsd.  Is there a difference between format of ext2 and ext3?  btw, what is a smb connection?

Lance

Both ext2 and ext3 are linux file systems.  I believe ext3 adds the feature of journaling but as far as NMTs are concerned, I'm not sure what the advantage of one over the other is. 

SMB is a communication protocol.  If your NMT is connected to your home network and the SMB service is running (under  Setup> NMT Applications), then you should be able to connect to it from your MAC.  Just click on  'Go' in Finder, then 'Connect to Server', then type smb://<nmt ip address> in the server address field and click connect. 

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM »
Thanks Javoy!  I do not have a network and I only rely via direct connection via USB.  I read somewhere that the ext2dfs for MAC is very unstable and only works on OSX Tiger.

I think I will need to go the windows route.  Either I install a Windows XP on my Mac via BootCamp or use another laptop solely for file sharing.

Anyways, I appreciate your help.  Sorry for the delayed reaction.  Been busy trying to figure this out. hehe.

Lance

Offline gren

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2008 at 02:34 PM »
were you guys using this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/ ?

client feedback ranged from 'no problems' to 'wtf is up with this pos i'm going back to bootcamp' so i really can't contribute much other than pass that link on.

do share your findings if any.  not sure when we can get our hands on a mac (anytime soon anyway :P)

Thanks Javoy!  I do not have a network and I only rely via direct connection via USB.  I read somewhere that the ext2dfs for MAC is very unstable and only works on OSX Tiger.

I think I will need to go the windows route.  Either I install a Windows XP on my Mac via BootCamp or use another laptop solely for file sharing.

Anyways, I appreciate your help.  Sorry for the delayed reaction.  Been busy trying to figure this out. hehe.

Lance

Offline jessec

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2008 at 04:34 PM »
were you guys using this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/ ?

client feedback ranged from 'no problems' to 'wtf is up with this pos i'm going back to bootcamp' so i really can't contribute much other than pass that link on.

do share your findings if any.  not sure when we can get our hands on a mac (anytime soon anyway :P)

i have use it on my ibook running OSX, but still can't mount my egreat, got no choice but to run it on my windows xp

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:26 AM »
if it's possible, do bring the laptop over.  i want to have a go at it :>

i have use it on my ibook running OSX, but still can't mount my egreat, got no choice but to run it on my windows xp

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
Hi Gren, are you referring to me? sige ba! hehe.  Can you help me mount my HDX to my MAC?  Pls PM me how much would you charge for that.  Thanks.

Lance
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2008 at 10:43 AM by Lancito »

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 10:47 AM »
Problem is I can only download torrents using my Macbook because I do not have a laptop running XP.  MY downloads are saved in a Mac OS extended format external HD.  Therefore, I cannot mount this to PC nor transfer it to Linux since the ext2fs does not work on Leopard.

Anybody who can help?

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 02:22 PM »
charge to experience :> we're not a purely commercial venture, as the folks who've visited here well know :>

dalhin mo lang and we'll have a go at it.

right now, if you want to transfer files, you might just want to get yourself a router (or connect your nmt) and do it via network.

Hi Gren, are you referring to me? sige ba! hehe.  Can you help me mount my HDX to my MAC?  Pls PM me how much would you charge for that.  Thanks.

Lance

Offline jessec

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 03:13 PM »
if it's possible, do bring the laptop over.  i want to have a go at it :>

great after service from you richie :) will try to bring it over. didn't regret buying my egreat fom you ;D

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 04:08 PM »
jessec, paturo nalang sayo after.  kakahiya kay Gren eh.  :)

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 04:15 PM »
charge to experience :> we're not a purely commercial venture, as the folks who've visited here well know :>

dalhin mo lang and we'll have a go at it.

right now, if you want to transfer files, you might just want to get yourself a router (or connect your nmt) and do it via network.

Thanks Gren, il try the router way.  Excuse my ignorance but I hope you can answer some questions.

1.  When you say router, do you mean wifi router?

2.  Should I connect the NMT via LAN cable to the wifi router?

3.  After I connect it, how do I configure my Mac, the router, and the NMT to access each other?

4.  Once configured, you mean I can send files from Mac to the NMT wirelessly?  Won't it still have OS incompatibility problems?

I look forward to your help.

Lance

Offline Javoy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 08:03 PM »
Thanks Gren, il try the router way.  Excuse my ignorance but I hope you can answer some questions.

1.  When you say router, do you mean wifi router?

2.  Should I connect the NMT via LAN cable to the wifi router?

3.  After I connect it, how do I configure my Mac, the router, and the NMT to access each other?

4.  Once configured, you mean I can send files from Mac to the NMT wirelessly?  Won't it still have OS incompatibility problems?

I look forward to your help.

Lance

I currently use a Belkin wifi router.  Egreat is connected to the router via LAN cable. 
iMac is connected via wifi.  I can transfer files from the iMac to the eGreat via ftp or smb
connection.  The file transfer is very slow but it works.

With this setup, it will also be very easy to use myihome media server.  Most of the time,
I don't even need to transfer the files anymore...  ;D

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Javoy.

It is possible for me to do the same connection but I do not know how to configure ftp, smb, both the mac and the nmt.  hassle.  iL try to do some more reading.

Regards.

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 11:11 AM »
for ftp, all you need are:
- ftp client for your mac, should be a lot out there na free
- ip address of your nmt: you can find this out by going to (on your NMT) setup>network.  it's usually something like 192.168.1.10
- open your ftp client, type in ftp://192.168.1.10 (or whatever your nmt's address is) and use ftpuser as username and 1234 as password
- you should then be able to see your folders and files

for smb it's a bit more complicated:
- using finder, you need to search for server
- you'd need to get your nmt's ip address as described above and enter it
- i can't remember the exact steps, it's always been hit and miss for me with the mac, lol

wag ka na mahiya, lol.  if you drop by during weekends, you'd meet some pinoydvd members (usually), so think of it as a meet and greet :>

Thanks for the reply, Javoy.

It is possible for me to do the same connection but I do not know how to configure ftp, smb, both the mac and the nmt.  hassle.  iL try to do some more reading.

Regards.