Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player  (Read 182300 times)

Offline keema

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WD TV HD Media Player
« Reply #630 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 10:11 PM »
i don't know if the same in the WD TV, in eGreat, when i play an iso file, its just watching a DVD, with full menus which you can select language, audio and subtitles, the same thing if the folder contain a VIDEO_TS, eGreat will play the folder automatically as like playing a DVD disc

parehas lang din po ba kung yung orig na sd dvd's eh ginawa kong .iso then access ko sya sa WD, hindi ko makikita yung full menus? derecho nood ka na lang agad ng movie?

salamat..

Offline rubenpp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #631 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 03:09 AM »
From the WD TV wiki

http://wdtv.wetpaint.com/page/Video

DVD-video (ripped): VIDEO_TS folder (also in .ISO)
The WD TV will play the main movie, and allows to switch between audio streams and subtitles through the options.

But currently there is no support for DVD-video menu nor chapters. There is speculation on the forums as to whether a new firmware will add menu/chapters support, but WD has not made any public statement about this.

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #632 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 11:23 AM »
I use the software in the url below to add AC3 audio track for my mkv title LXG.  Takes around 10 mins only. This will also solve the audio problem as well as those who doesnt use DTS decoder.

www.heartware.dk/tutorial/

Cheers !!!

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 11:43 AM by JT »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #633 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 06:16 PM »
Does the WD support external DVD drives?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #634 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 08:06 PM »
here .. non dead link :D :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline pooch

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #635 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 11:29 PM »
Does the WD support external DVD drives?

sir, was answered already on the previous page  ;D

Offline jhayc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #636 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 05:42 AM »
To those who have the the WD HD Player:

Does this player upscale files to 1080p?  I mean, if I have a 720p file or even a normal low quality divx .avi file, can it upscale it to 1080p?

We have a Samsung Series  7 TV at home and it has a WiseLink USB port that supports divx playback.  I watch TV shows using that player but one thing I've noticed is that when I play .avi files straight from the TV's USB port, the quality is VERY GOOD,

However, when I play the same .avi file using the PS3 and the Samsung HTIB that came with the TV, the quality is poor, as compared to when I play it .  IN FACT, I've tried playing an .mkv file in the TV (actually, an .mkv file, but since the PS3 only supports .m2ts files, I converted it to .m2ts) and the 1gb .mkv file looked worse than the 350mb divx .avi file.

My only guess is that the TV upscales the video to 1080p which makes it look so good.  Any ideas?  (Sorry nagmukhang offtopic but all I'm asking is if the WD HD Player has an upscaling capability, and, if you guys might know, if upscaling is the reason why playing .avi files directly on the TV looks so good).  Thanks a lot!

Offline pooch

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 11:08 AM »
yes

automatic
1080p
1080i
720p

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 11:50 AM »
I noticed when it comes to fast and panning scenes, mkv playback on the WD TV si kinda choppy even on just 720p files.  Not as smooth as my HTPC. 

It may be due to the difference between 24fps and 23.976fps.  The discussion on avsforum is that the WD supports only 24fps.  MKV files encoded in 23.976fps will have a choppy play on the WD; but 24fps encodes will play smoothly.  

Nothing is wrong with the WD because it plays 24p (progressive frames per second) just fine.  What it really needs is 23.976p support for MKV files.

Film is typically shot and played back at 24 frames per second.  But when using equipment based around NTSC frame rates, encodes are usually at 23.976p.  

The reason for the discrepancy is because the 30fps rate of NTSC is actually 29.97fps, or 30/100.1%.  To match NTSC, 24fps is converted to 23.976fps, since that figure is 24/100.1%, similar to NTSC's 30/100.1%.

The terms 24p and 23.976p are confusing because people usually say 24p when referring to either frame rate.  According to wikipedia, "Many use the term '24p' as a shorthand for this frame rate, since '23.976' does not roll off the tongue as easily."

These days, a frame rate of exactly 24p is sometimes referred to as "true 24p" to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2009 at 12:00 PM by barrister »

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 12:49 PM »

Does this player upscale files to 1080p? 

We have a Samsung Series  7 TV at home and it has a WiseLink USB port that supports divx playback.  one thing I've noticed is that when I play .avi files straight from the TV's USB port, the quality is VERY GOOD,

However, when I play the same .avi file using the PS3 and the Samsung HTIB that came with the TV, the quality is poor, as compared to when I play it .  IN FACT, I've tried playing an .mkv file in the TV (actually, an .mkv file, but since the PS3 only supports .m2ts files, I converted it to .m2ts) and the 1gb .mkv file looked worse than the 350mb divx .avi file.

My only guess is that the TV upscales the video to 1080p which makes it look so good.  all I'm asking is if the WD HD Player has an upscaling capability, and, if upscaling is the reason why playing .avi files directly on the TV looks so good).  Thanks a lot!

if you set the WDTV to output in 1080p, then it will upscale a 720p file to that higher resolution.

now, for which one will be better - the tv or the wdtv -  that you may have to find out when you have one already. do a comparison of the different combinations as you have done with your PS3.

anyway, for those with just the basic need of playing their HD files... with no need of any network capabilities, i can wholeheartedly recommend this player as an excellent entry into the world of HD. i have used the E31B and at least for my PT-AE900 pj i prefer the WD picture. will try and rip a dvd iso file and see how it plays here.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2009 at 02:24 PM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline pooch

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #640 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 02:00 PM »
i have almost the same gears as you in the my bedroom (Samsung 5 series, Samsung HTIB, WD HDTV)

ive noticed that using the HTIB is not recommended as you have also noticed the graininess when it upscales. i use 720p as my default resolution for my WDTV
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2009 at 11:42 AM by pooch »

Offline jhayc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #641 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 11:37 AM »
Wala bang nagpapahiram ng WD HD Player?  :D

Or store sana kung saan pwedeng mag-test.  Gusto ko lang malaman kung mas malinaw mag-play yung same .avi file kung na-play straight from the TV using Wiselink Pro kesa dun sa WD HD Player.

Ma-try nga kina Sir Vic.  Sana pumayag.

@pooch.  Bakit 720p yung default resolution mo?  Bakit hindi 1080p?

Offline pooch

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #642 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 11:42 AM »
pansin ko kasi may lag ang mga fast scenes ang 1080p mkv files. besides, di ko napapansin gaano ang 720 and 1080p native reso

pwede ka siguro patest sa SnS. naka setup na yung WD TV nila dun
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2009 at 11:43 AM by pooch »

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #643 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 11:43 AM »
Currently priced at P5800 at rsun.com.ph, P5750 pag cash.

http://rsun.com.ph/view_item.php?item=MMP200

Offline rubenpp

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #644 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 01:06 PM »
Dell Home has the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player for a low $87.99 after 20% off Coupon Code: 138BFW5PN676V2 (Exp 2/6)

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #645 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 04:43 PM »
bibili na ako nito maya maya na lang! :D papano ba e-load yung firmware update? at kung sang website madodownload?

salamat mga sirs! :D

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #646 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 04:45 PM »
pahabol po ulit...bukod kay axxo...sino pa bang uploader ng .avi ang naguupload ng 5.1 na?

salamat ulit mga sirs..:D

Offline pooch

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #647 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 04:51 PM »
sir, bawal ata pag usapan yan  ;D

regarding firmware, just unzip the file from the WD website

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #648 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 05:01 PM »
yup naisip ko nga na parang bawal pagusapan..anyway..sino man po dyan pwede na lang mag pm nun sakin...very much appreciated po..

salamat mga sirs..:)

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #649 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 08:17 PM »
may nakapag try na po ba sa WD nila na magkabit ng portable na hardisk na usb powered sya pero yun yung mga inassemble type? i mean yung bumili ka ng slim external casing then bumili ka lang din ng hardisk tapos ikaw na lang mismo yung maglalagay..

kse ganun ung kinabit ko sa WD tv ko..pero sabi "unrecognized USB" yung sinasabi sakin..

Offline kapau

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #650 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 09:57 PM »
na format nyo na po ba un hdd?

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #651 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 03:10 AM »
hindi ko pa narereformat ulit yung hardisk na un..pero nagtry ulit ako ng isang portable hardisk, yung inassemble lang din ulit, ganun din yung message nya "unrecognize USB"..

kahit NTFS yung hardisk marerecognize ng WD tv diba? and kung yung hardisk ay naka partition, parehas silang naka ntfs, mababasa pa din po ba ng wdtv un? 

salamat po.. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2009 at 03:13 AM by keema »

Offline amethyst_arr

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #652 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 04:17 AM »
sa mga meron na nito, may question lang po ako:

am planning to buy this and pair it with the 1TB My Book. ano ang recommended na partition nito, FAT32 or NTFS? what are the pros and cons?

thanks.

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #653 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 07:45 AM »
keema - I am currently using an assembled portable drive on my WDTV. parehas lang naman yan at yung mga WD/Seagate/Maxtor portable drives. ang difference lang may brand yung sa kanila and yung sa'yo home made :) you shouldn't have any problems pairing this with the WDTV (unless ang problema eh mali ang pag ka gawa mo ng portable drive  ;D)

amethyst - pag 1TB mas ok na mag NTFS ka na. FAT32 may limitations sa file na pwede mo lagay, if I remember correctly FAT32 can only hanlde files up to 4GB. So kung meron ka hidef movie na nasa 5GB and up you won't be able to load it sa FAT32 formatted HDD.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #654 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 08:55 AM »
 One of my friends's portable generic 3.5 harddrive drive wont work with the wd tv media player. But the other generic one works. The same casing & harddrive inside.

I wonder why, I told him next time to buy WD Passport only. Bec. I tested 3 different passport. It all works well.

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #655 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 10:27 AM »
My experience with the WD TV nedia player -

1. toshiba 2.5" 80gb IDE HDD formatted NTSC put into a generic Vaio enclosure you can buy for 150(?, i think) - worked well.

2. hitachi 2.5" 40 gb IDE HDD formatted NTSC pulled out from a Thinkpad put into a generic vaio enclosure - did not work on 2 WD units. do not know why.  works on my pc.

3. WD Passport 320gb HDD pre-formatted - worked well.  although i can't copy a file bigger than 4gb so it must be FAT32, I'm afraid to reformat it to NTSC for fear of experiencing No. 2

4. WD 1tb (2 units) SATA formatted NTSC put on HDD dock station bought from Rising Sun - worked well

5. 3.5" Seagate 320gb SATA formatted NTSC put into a generic enclosure with own power source - worked well

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #656 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 02:03 PM »
sirs question lang po ulit..example i have a portable hardisk which is assembled and i formatted it, NTFS, but having 2 partitions. will the WD tv be able to read that hardisk? naisip ko baka yun yung problem ng 2 portable hardisk na na-try ko..parehong naka partition..

may naka subok na ba nito? salamat mga sirs..:)

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #657 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 03:16 PM »
i reformatted all my wd passport & mybook into NTFS.

So far no problem, You can't do much with Fat32 4GB limitation.

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #658 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 03:37 PM »
yup i think pag ni reformat lang po yung hardisk ng one partition lang na NTFS gagana sya, madedetect toh ng WD..pero po kung ni reformat nyo yung portable hardisk nyo then ginawa nyong 2 partition example: 500gb na portable hardisk reformat and partitioned na ganito 250gb + 250gb...madedetect kaya toh ng WD?

sorry sa mga tanong sirs..:)

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #659 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 06:16 PM »
yup i think pag ni reformat lang po yung hardisk ng one par***on lang na NTFS gagana sya, madedetect toh ng WD..pero po kung ni reformat nyo yung portable hardisk nyo then ginawa nyong 2 par***on example: 500gb na portable hardisk reformat and par***oned na ganito 250gb + 250gb...madedetect kaya toh ng WD?

sorry sa mga tanong sirs..:)

Mas maganda pag 1 partition lang. Some pc's and macs have problems seeing more than 1 partition on a usb hard drive, i guess the same could be true for the wd media player.