Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player  (Read 182438 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WD TV HD Media Player
« Reply #990 on: May 13, 2009 at 02:51 PM »
yes sir barrister, thanks for the info, i have heard of avi with surround sound, but have never encountered it before ...

Marami na yan sir.  On your favorite site, search using the keywords ac3, 5.1, avi, xvid.  Maraming lalabas.

... may i know how big will the file be if encoded with ac3? 1gb perhaps?

Yes, around 1GB.

If total file size for a 2-hour movie is 700MB, video size will be around 580MB, and audio size for 128Mbps MP3 will be around 110MB.

If the 110MB MP3 audio is replaced with a 400MB AC3 5.1 track, the total file size will be about 1GB (580MB video + 400 MB audio). 

Try Ecuador's Bit Rate Calculator:

http://www.ecuadors.net/pcdvd/dvdabc.htm

AutoGK allows the option of transcoding DVDs to DivX or Xvid video, while copying audio untouched via a direct stream of the original 5.1 file.

On "Step 4 (optional) advanced parameters", click "Advanced Settings", then under "Output audio type", choose "Original (AC3/DTS/MPA only)". 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009 at 03:09 PM by barrister »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #991 on: May 13, 2009 at 03:13 PM »
Marami na yan sir.  On your favorite site, search using the keywords ac3, 5.1, avi, xvid.  Maraming lalabas.

Yes, around 1GB.

If total file size for a 2-hour movie is 700MB, video size will be around 580MB, and audio size for 128Mbps MP3 will be around 110MB.

If the 110MB MP3 audio is replaced with a 400MB AC3 5.1 track, the total file size will be about 1GB (580MB video + 400 MB audio). 

Try Ecuador's Bit Rate Calculator:

http://www.ecuadors.net/pcdvd/dvdabc.htm

AutoGK allows the option of transcoding DVDs to DivX or Xvid video, while copying audio untouched via a direct stream of the original 5.1 file.

On "Step 4 (optional) advanced parameters", click "Advanced Settings", then under "Output audio type", choose "Original (AC3/DTS/MPA only)". 

thanks for the info sir barrister!  ;D

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #992 on: May 16, 2009 at 08:42 AM »
mga sirs...regarding the arcsoft media converter 2.5 which comes with the wdtv -

1. why i keep getting the error message "cant open source file" everytime i tried converting direct from dvd?
2. in the main window under "connected device" - the error message is "device connection not supported"..naka default yun Select Manufacturer "Western Digital" and Select Device Model "WD TV"

any help from your guys would be appreciated....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009 at 09:06 AM by stryder »

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #993 on: May 16, 2009 at 09:08 AM »
Is the DVD orig?

If it is the DVD protection is preventing you from doing so. You'll have to rip the contents to your hard disk first.

Offline van_xer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #994 on: May 16, 2009 at 09:49 AM »
meron ba compatibility problems?

Offline grimmy

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #995 on: May 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM »
meron ba compatibility problems?

There are playback issues with some 1080p files with WDTV

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #996 on: May 16, 2009 at 04:25 PM »
mga sirs...regarding the arcsoft media converter 2.5 which comes with the wdtv -

1. why i keep getting the error message "cant open source file" everytime i tried converting direct from dvd?
2. in the main window under "connected device" - the error message is "device connection not supported"..naka default yun Select Manufacturer "Western Digital" and Select Device Model "WD TV"

any help from your guys would be appreciated....

currently, using DVDFab 6 (beta version but working pwerfectly) converting my dvds to any format I wanted to... :D

just search the net to DL...
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline van_xer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #997 on: May 16, 2009 at 07:29 PM »
There are playback issues with some 1080p files with WDTV

some meaning?...ok to get WDtv or Egreat na lang

Offline kapau

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #998 on: May 16, 2009 at 07:34 PM »
guys i need help yun wd hd ng officemate ko nagdedefault to composite everytime he turns it off. kelangan nya parati connect using composite to switch to hdmi para magamit then he do it all over again para magamit ulit using hdmi. what could be the prob?

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #999 on: May 16, 2009 at 07:38 PM »
Is the DVD orig?

If it is the DVD protection is preventing you from doing so. You'll have to rip the contents to your hard disk first.
yes, am using the mummy 3 R3 dvd to test this software...

currently, using DVDFab 6 (beta version but working pwerfectly) converting my dvds to any format I wanted to... :D

just search the net to DL...

i was able to dl DVDfab  v5.25 and installed it..tho i have to uninstall my DVD43

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1000 on: May 16, 2009 at 07:40 PM »
guys i need help yun wd hd ng officemate ko nagdedefault to composite everytime he turns it off. kelangan nya parati connect using composite to switch to hdmi para magamit then he do it all over again para magamit ulit using hdmi. what could be the prob?

bro have you tried looking into the settings menu...kasi sa akin i set it to HDMI

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1001 on: May 16, 2009 at 07:45 PM »
although i have DVDfab 5, currently am working with my dvd conversion using AnyDVD Converter Pro and ganito ang settings ko:

video codec - xvid
video size - 1080x720
video bitrate - 12000
video framerate - 25
audio codec - ac3
audio bitrate - 192
sample rate - 48000

is this ideal or too much? any suggestions on what item to reset to minimize file size yet still get an hd PQ and 5.1 AQ?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009 at 08:09 PM by stryder »

Offline kapau

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1002 on: May 16, 2009 at 07:50 PM »
bro have you tried looking into the settings menu...kasi sa akin i set it to HDMI

yun nga ginagawa nya he sets it to hdmi parati. by the way he's using a pana pv80.

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1003 on: May 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM »
Just be careful with the remote control. Remote slipped from my grip and landed not so hard on the floor, now its no longer working!!! Kainis!!! Would you know if retailers sell spare remote control? Without the remote this WDTV is useless because you can't control anywhere!!!

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1004 on: May 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM »
I can't figure out what went wrong? I opened the remote, mechanism is intact, no soldering is loosen... I would assume that the weakest link is the remote control. Kung kelan ko pa uumpisahan panoorin yong Fast & the furious saka nahulog.. ???

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1005 on: May 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM »

bro, try other HDMI cable... when I got mine, I was so excited so I disconnected the HDMI from my DvdP but no picture. I even, went back to the store to complain but when they connected with their HDMI cable it's like magic, no settings needed. Now, i'm using the stock cable that working fine...  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1006 on: May 17, 2009 at 02:26 PM »
Just be careful with the remote control. Remote slipped from my grip and landed not so hard on the floor, now its no longer working!!! Kainis!!! Would you know if retailers sell spare remote control? Without the remote this WDTV is useless because you can't control anywhere!!!

Barrister mentioned this store in Greenhills before, Asia Computer. They sell WDTV remotes. You can try calling first. 7212068

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1007 on: May 17, 2009 at 05:56 PM »
although i have DVDfab 5, currently am working with my dvd conversion using AnyDVD Converter Pro and ganito ang settings ko:

video codec - xvid
video size - 1080x720
video bitrate - 12000
video framerate - 25
audio codec - ac3
audio bitrate - 192
sample rate - 48000

is this ideal or too much? any suggestions on what item to reset to minimize file size yet still get an hd PQ and 5.1 AQ?

Bro - overkill ang settings mo kung DVD ang original source.

DVDs are only 480p that means max resolution of 704x480 if widescreen or 640x480 if standard. I've seen good rips with bit rates ranging from 1000-1500 Kbps. Since you're ripping for WDTV you can take the native ac3 untouched as the WDTV can process it.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1008 on: May 17, 2009 at 06:10 PM »

video codec - xvid
video size - 1080x720
video bitrate - 12000
video framerate - 25
audio codec - ac3
audio bitrate - 192
sample rate - 48000

i keep mine @default setting... ::)  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1009 on: May 17, 2009 at 06:40 PM »

DVDs are only 480p that means max resolution of 704x480 if widescreen or 640x480 if standard. I've seen good rips with bit rates ranging from 1000-1500 Kbps. Since you're ripping for WDTV you can take the native ac3 untouched as the WDTV can process it.

I agree. Generally speaking and imho, anytime you encode a video, you should assume that you will lose quality, perceptible or not.   I've tried encoding to HD resolution from BD and HDDVD rips a few times. I found handbrake and Megui as encoders have really good output files. VERY VERY demanding of your hardware though...

Going back to our beloved WD TV HD  ;)

I've recently tried to make the most of the thumbnail view feature of the WD, nakakapagod pala magdownload at mag-rename ng files haha. I am admittedly very OC so I ended up using both the "folder.jpg" and "file.jpg" per folder  ;D

I am of course  using the latest firmware.  It's been a small annoyance for me that the WD randomly picks a file or two that would not show the thumbnail pic.  I have two 1TB mybooks and this happens whether i access one or the other. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also noticed that some files have the audio and the video going out of synch at some point of playback.  stopping then resuming usually solves it.  Any one else notice this?
There's only one way to find out right?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1010 on: May 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM »
^ Where do you go for your pictures (thumbnails)?

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1011 on: May 17, 2009 at 10:31 PM »
Barrister mentioned this store in Greenhills before, Asia Computer. They sell WDTV remotes. You can try calling first. 7212068

Thanks bro! Try calling the number first thing tomorrow. WDTV w/o the remote is useless & I don't want to spend 3K by buying universal remote like the logitech to control this thing. ;D

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1012 on: May 17, 2009 at 10:41 PM »

I put all each movie into folder and save the picture inside the folder as cover.jpg with 307 x 500 pixels size. got dvdcovers from cdcovers.cc site...  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1013 on: May 18, 2009 at 12:05 AM »

i keep mine @default setting... ::)  ;D
I agree. Generally speaking and imho, anytime you encode a video, you should assume that you will lose quality, perceptible or not.   I've tried encoding to HD resolution from BD and HDDVD rips a few times. I found handbrake and Megui as encoders have really good output files. VERY VERY demanding of your hardware though...

thanks a lot mga sirs for the input / comments..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM by stryder »

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1014 on: May 18, 2009 at 01:52 AM »

most of the time i either use  http://posters.motechnet.com or http://www.availableimages.com/  ;D

i am now planning to try out the xbmc media companion application to automate this process for me though, as downloading and renaming can be very monotonous work... (all i can say is, manually downloading and renaming 2 terabytes worth of files at one go was almost a religious experience  :o)

There's only one way to find out right?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1015 on: May 18, 2009 at 06:01 AM »
I'll check them out. Thanks audiojunkie, thanks Invinciible.

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1016 on: May 19, 2009 at 09:50 AM »
After a long hiatus from this forum, I impulsely ordered a WDTV from a member to utilize a 1tb I have full of hd movies which have been lying around the house for a few months now.

I have not made any upgrade on my HT set-up for almost two years.  I'm still using a Benqw100 Pj which is only 480p, but wow! after plugging in the wdtv with the 720p movies, I was amazed with the jump in PQ from regular dvds.   The colors are vivid, the details are amazing, its like I upgraded to a 720p PJ.

I'm very happy with it.  It's a great buy.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009 at 09:51 AM by Jairus »
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline loniticz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1017 on: May 19, 2009 at 10:24 AM »
New pre-release firmware is available 1.02.08

here's the link: http://bit.ly/1apxkR

got the link from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148288

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1018 on: May 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM »
No luck in finding a spare remote control. Even called Axis Global but they only have "one is to one" stocks. Would you know if this can be controlled by Logitech universal remote? Got no choice here..... WDTV remote sucks & probably lemon units!! I only dropped once SIRA agad! >:( >:(

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #1019 on: May 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM »
Would you know if this can be controlled by Logitech universal remote?

yeah... maybe it's time for you to get a universal remote, my friend... specifically the logitech ones as mine do work with the wdtv. in fact it's my main remote i use for it. i have mapped almost every button of the wdtv remote to my harmony 520.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS