Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player  (Read 182551 times)

Offline moejun

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • left brain by the popcorn stand
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: WD TV HD Media Player
« Reply #1290 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 01:14 PM »
no idea on the release of the 2nd gen. why not try the egreat? or the HDX?
keyboard warrior, gay advocate

Offline rulan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1291 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 01:20 PM »
I noticed one thing about the remote.
When I'm using my wdtv to 24" FHD LCD (Samsung), the remote is very responsive, walang delay / lag.
But when I'm using my wdtv to plasma tv (50PV70 and 42PY800), madalas delay, non responsive ang remote.
Anyone encountered the same phenomenon?

Offline keema

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1292 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 05:00 PM »
hmm..help po guys..i dont know what the problem with my .mkv ironman movie but when im playing it with WD tv there's no problem at all but when im going to play it using my laptop using KMP or MPC it says "no file"

anyone why is like this? :)  ???

salamat po..:)

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #1293 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 07:45 PM »
One of the reasons why some choose to buy original DVDs is for the added features that are included in them. For example, I have the complete Lord of the Rings set where the extras are really worth it.

I won't bother to encode my DVDs - I don't have the patience to wait that long. If the player had .IFO capability you can just copy all the DVD files into your HDD and have it play as if from the DVD itself.

In my case I have a tvix player. What I do is create a single .ISO image file from my DVD. The player handles that perfectly as in it's like you're watching from your DVD. Much much better to have all your DVD files in the hdd and just select using the remote than having to hunt through your DVD collection. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Just a bit confusing.

You say you won't bother encoding your DVDs but you create .ISO image file out of them?

Sorry for being OT, just noticed the conflicting statements within the same post.

Cheers.

Offline moejun

• Collector
  • left brain by the popcorn stand
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1294 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 08:55 PM »
i guess what he means by encoding is changing the movie file to something which is playable on a certain device. for example, creating an matroska file or .avi from the original dvd.
keyboard warrior, gay advocate

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1295 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM »
according to this, dvd iso is playable.
ok narin since 4-9gb lang naman ang usual size ng dvd iso files  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1296 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 10:03 PM »
Just a bit confusing.

You say you won't bother encoding your DVDs but you create .ISO image file out of them?

Sorry for being OT, just noticed the conflicting statements within the same post.

Cheers.

When you create a .ISO file you are basically just conglomerating the files within a DVD into a single file for easy handling. There is no reencoding of the file involved. The files are untouched. If you want you can reburn the content into a blank DVD and have a perfect copy of your original DVD. Depending on the speed of your DVD drive it takes only a couple of minutes to create a .ISO file from your DVD.

With reencoding you are changing the .vob file on the DVD (mpeg2 format) into something else like .avi (divx format). This takes much longer and you lose your DVD menus. And since you are reencoding there is some loss of quality.

Of course this is not important if you are just downloading your movies and do not have a DVD collection.

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1297 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM »
according to this, dvd iso is playable.
ok narin since 4-9gb lang naman ang usual size ng dvd iso files  :D

The thread says it is still unreliable. I still wouldn't recommend it to someone with a lot of DVD backups until a firmware fix makes it more reliable.

Offline kabomanila

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1298 on: Sep 01, 2009 at 07:45 AM »
sorry if this is ot. i just bought wd mybook home 1tb. i will use this for my wdtv player and pc back up. is this possible? i used the wd anywhere back up for my pc. bumagal yung pc. at ang tagal magback up ng files. is this normal? ok lang ba kung delete ko na yung wd anywhere back up? and i will use the drag and drop style. do i need to reformat? what file system? please help. thank you very much.

Offline jaypd97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1299 on: Sep 01, 2009 at 08:23 AM »
pwede gawing pc backup at movie file HDD yan kaya lang hassle sa tanggal kabit. di kasi siya pwede nakakabit sa PC and at the same time sa WDTV e. with regards to backup anag alam ko matagal talaga magbackup ng files...di ko lang din sure pero nasa 5400 lang ang speed ng WD external...

tapos nga pala mas maganda kung ireformat mo ung WD to NTFS. kasi ang default niyan e hanngang may 4GB file limit kaya kung may lalagay ka na mga HD movie na more than 4GB di siya maistore bro...mabilis lang naman magreformat niyan e :) anyway, sana nakatulong kahit pano :)

Offline kabomanila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1300 on: Sep 01, 2009 at 08:33 AM »
pwede gawing pc backup at movie file HDD yan kaya lang hassle sa tanggal kabit. di kasi siya pwede nakakabit sa PC and at the same time sa WDTV e. with regards to backup anag alam ko matagal talaga magbackup ng files...di ko lang din sure pero nasa 5400 lang ang speed ng WD external...

tapos nga pala mas maganda kung ireformat mo ung WD to NTFS. kasi ang default niyan e hanngang may 4GB file limit kaya kung may lalagay ka na mga HD movie na more than 4GB di siya maistore bro...mabilis lang naman magreformat niyan e :) anyway, sana nakatulong kahit pano :)
salamat boss. buti na lang nagpost ako dito sa wdtv thread.

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1301 on: Sep 01, 2009 at 09:09 AM »
@kabomanila

Normally babagal talaga ang PC sa first time mong gamiting ang wd anywhere backup. Kasi siyempre iba-backup niya muna lahat ng files na ini-specify mo. After doing that initial backup it will only monitor for changes on the files that you specified. Halos hindi mo na rin mararamdaman.

Offline kabomanila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1302 on: Sep 01, 2009 at 12:38 PM »
@kabomanila

Normally babagal talaga ang PC sa first time mong gamiting ang wd anywhere backup. Kasi siyempre iba-backup niya muna lahat ng files na ini-specify mo. After doing that initial backup it will only monitor for changes on the files that you specified. Halos hindi mo na rin mararamdaman.
tnx uvax. feeling ko hindi normal yung 12GB in 6hrs using wd anywhere backup. nainip na ko, kasi more than 400GB ibabackup ko sana. btw im using quad core processor na. im using firewire cable to transfer files to my wd mybook 1tb home edition.
anyway im reformatting it to ntfs file system. i will use na lang the drag and drop file transfer.
thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2009 at 12:42 PM by kabomanila »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1303 on: Sep 01, 2009 at 10:27 PM »
tnx uvax. feeling ko hindi normal yung 12GB in 6hrs using wd anywhere backup. nainip na ko, kasi more than 400GB ibabackup ko sana. btw im using quad core processor na. im using firewire cable to transfer files to my wd mybook 1tb home edition.
anyway im reformatting it to ntfs file system. i will use na lang the drag and drop file transfer.
thank you for your help.
you can pm madfaze of tipidpc.com, iirc he had issues using firewire via mybook home ed.
ninjababez online ..

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #1304 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 02:08 AM »
When you create a .ISO file you are basically just conglomerating the files within a DVD into a single file for easy handling. There is no reencoding of the file involved. The files are untouched. If you want you can reburn the content into a blank DVD and have a perfect copy of your original DVD. Depending on the speed of your DVD drive it takes only a couple of minutes to create a .ISO file from your DVD.

With reencoding you are changing the .vob file on the DVD (mpeg2 format) into something else like .avi (divx format). This takes much longer and you lose your DVD menus. And since you are reencoding there is some loss of quality.

Of course this is not important if you are just downloading your movies and do not have a DVD collection.

Sorry if I was not so clear on my comment. I understand the difference between creating an ISO and VOB.

On the other hand, I was actually referring to the motion of putting your DVD into file, which is generally the same for either ISO and VOB, even though one may take more time to do than the other.

I focused on what you said about not having patience in "doing", because for me the overall process/steps are rather the same in which you take the DVD, run a software on it and extract/create file(s) out of it.

But then, sorry for the confusion. Please just ignore this. Thanks.

BTW, I noticed that VOBs have much sharper image than ISOs on the WDTV. ;)

I don't bother with the menu's and special features anyways.

Offline kabomanila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1305 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 08:12 AM »
you can pm madfaze of tipidpc.com, iirc he had issues using firewire via mybook home ed.
thank you ninjababez.

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1306 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 08:25 AM »
tagal naman ng bagong firmware... :(

Offline jazzeon

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1307 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 10:32 PM »
Guys gusto ko sana bumili nito. Wala naman po ba problema magplay ng 1080p file? Yung mga 12gb po. Thanks.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1308 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 07:14 AM »
It's hit or miss. It will play most 1080p files--even those bigger than 12gb. But there are a few (1080p) files it won't.

Offline jazzeon

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1309 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 08:24 AM »
It's hit or miss. It will play most 1080p files--even those bigger than 12gb. But there are a few (1080p) files it won't.
Ask ko lang bakit siya namimili ng files? Sayang naman. Ok na sana siya. Mas maganda paw PQ ng wdtv kesa sa egreat. Kaya ito ang kukunin ko. Thanks

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1310 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 08:54 AM »
New to WD TV.  Their website has a firmware update to 102.07 but I read about mentions for 102.10 here on this thread.  Is it a beta?  Where can I get it, and is it stable enough to try?  I am not sure if it had been mentioned in this thread before since it's too long to read all of it, so any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1311 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 12:55 PM »
New to WD TV.  Their website has a firmware update to 102.07 but I read about mentions for 102.10 here on this thread.  Is it a beta?  Where can I get it, and is it stable enough to try?  I am not sure if it had been mentioned in this thread before since it's too long to read all of it, so any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

the 1.02.10 FW is still in beta version and is installed in my WD tv that works fine.. until now, there's no release of final version of this. if there is I may also out of info...  ::)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline bootsubay

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1312 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 01:13 PM »
I need help guys,
I just upgraded to 1.02.07 but my .mkv(s) won't play properly anymore(play for sometime about a minute then just goes back to the menu). I don't know what the deal is but its really pissing me off. How can I revert to the old firmware? I tried looking for the old firmware online but I can't find any. HEEEELLLLP PLEEAAASE!!! >:(

Offline lucky023

• Collector
  • The Blu side of the force is calling you..
  • Liked:
« Reply #1313 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 02:21 PM »
@techdude, bootsubay

you guys can try the latest beta version (1.02.10). works fine to me also, so far.
heres the link: http://www.wdc.com/wdtvprerelease/

goodluck!
Sammy Series 5
Harman Kardon AVR
WDTV HD Player
Sammy BD-P1500

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1314 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 07:47 PM »
@techdude, bootsubay

you guys can try the latest beta version (1.02.10). works fine to me also, so far.

goodluck!
Thanks!
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Bluebeard

• Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
« Reply #1315 on: Sep 08, 2009 at 09:54 AM »

Correct if I am wrong but only the newer TV's play 1080p videos. Most HDTVs can play 1080i though.
 ???

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1316 on: Sep 08, 2009 at 12:02 PM »
^ sir bluebeard its ok if your display only native res is 720p/1080i > your display or the wdtv will downscale it

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1317 on: Sep 08, 2009 at 12:32 PM »
^Yup, what he said.

Offline jazzeon

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1318 on: Sep 08, 2009 at 04:39 PM »
Sino po mabait ang pwede mamigay ng laman loob? Dito po ako sa muntinlupa.

Offline mfa240

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1319 on: Sep 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM »
@techdude, bootsubay

goodluck!

Any new updates as to performance?