Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player  (Read 182544 times)

Offline espi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WD TV HD Media Player
« Reply #750 on: Mar 06, 2009 at 05:53 PM »
what do you use to reencode a vorbis track?

wdtv does not support it daw eh... unsupported audio format daw...
Ye Boy! :p

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #751 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 09:05 PM »
As for the powering off, Marvin of eHome suggested I try ejecting the drive. Will try that also later.

I have the same experience. WD Mybook doesn't power off even if the WD TV is powered off. My question is, do I just turn off the power or do I have to eject the drive everytime I want to turn it off?

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #752 on: Mar 08, 2009 at 10:40 PM »
I have the same experience. WD Mybook doesn't power off even if the WD TV is powered off. My question is, do I just turn off the power or do I have to eject the drive everytime I want to turn it off?

Actually, that ejecting the hdd didnt work for me either - first time I tried, the darn spinning eject icon just kept on spinning and after 15min of it doing nothing but spin - I just finally gave up & turned off the powerstrip where the hdd is plugged onto. Tried if again after a few days, same result so either it takes a lot longer than my patience can muster or another quirk by the WD player.

Here's more - if I turn off the WD via its remote & just let the hdd be plugged & light up - the next time I watch a movie, either the player will say it cant play any movie file 'coz they're unsupported or the WD player
says that my hdd has no contents :P

What works for me is - when done watching, i turn off the WD player via its remote then I turn off the power switch of both units in my powerstrip where they're plugged into.
If I wanna watch a movie the next day, I just switch on both their power switches in my power strip & all is normal ::)

Dunno if either my WD player or WD 1tb MyBook Studio Ed is the problem - but thats the only way it works for me. :-\

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #753 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 02:57 PM »
hi guys! i encountered some problems using my WDTV.i immediately sent western digital an email regarding my problem and they replied the day after.

i like that they are doing a good job with their costumers.

i alsp asked them some questions with regards to possible firmware updates and this is their reply...

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

Networking device will not be done as this is only a USB device which does not come with any Ethernet pot."

can the usb be used as a ethernet port using some kind of adapter? :)

Offline loniticz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #754 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 04:23 PM »
@jaypd97

sir, there is a thread in AVS forum where a bunch of people was able to modify WDTV original firmware to add network connectivity.  i think you need a usb to rj45 adapter for it to work using wired connection.  i'am not sure if wireless connection via wireless usb dongle is already supported.

here is the link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100062&page=26

hi guys! i encountered some problems using my WDTV.i immediately sent western digital an email regarding my problem and they replied the day after.

i like that they are doing a good job with their costumers.

i alsp asked them some questions with regards to possible firmware updates and this is their reply...

Networking device will not be done as this is only a USB device which does not come with any Ethernet pot."

can the usb be used as a ethernet port using some kind of adapter? :)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #755 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 04:31 PM »
mga sir question lang po..madami po bang klaseng types ng ".avi"? kse po may .avi akong file na hindi mag-play sa wd tv ko..sinasabi not supported blah blah..

AVI is a container.  Isang klase lang ang AVI.  

AVI can contain various types of video and audio.  Kung ayaw mag-play ng AVI, hindi supported ang video format na nasa loob ng AVI container.

WD Mybook doesn't power off even if the WD TV is powered off. My question is, do I just turn off the power or do I have to eject the drive everytime I want to turn it off?

Ejecting the drive every time you turn off the WD via remote will be inconvenient.  When you turn the WD back on via remote, you will have to unplug and replug the drive's USB connection first before you can access the ejected drive again.

Powering off the WD via remote merely puts it in sleep mode, and the MyBook remains on.

While in sleep mode, the WD casing will remain warm to the touch.  

Check your MyBook after around 15 minutes idle time and find out if it automatically spins down.  Touch the MyBook casing.  If it's vibrating, the disc is spinning; if not, the disc is at rest.    

If the MyBook automatically spins down, there's no need to worry.  No need to eject.

Dunno if either my WD player or WD 1tb MyBook Studio Ed is the problem - but thats the only way it works for me. :-\

I think it's the sheer size of the 1TB MyBook that causes problems.

I use a 320 GB MyPassport and I don't have those problems. 

Before buying my WD, I read on avsforums that it takes much longer for the WD to scan a 1TB MyBook than a smaller-capacity MyPassport.  I decided to get the MyPassport because I anticipated that a 1TB drive will cause other problems to crop up.   

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2009 at 04:46 PM by barrister »

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #756 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 05:42 PM »
mukhang lahat nagtataka pano patrayin ung mga external HDD natin a. hehehe! nagmagandang loob nakong magtanong sa WD :)

ito reply nila:

When you have ejected the drive and power down the device, the books still draws power because WD TV does not have utilities that can power down the USB device that is connecting to the WD TV. The only way to work around is when you have ejected the USB device, for my Book Series you should be able to hold the power down button located at the back of my book. For USB passport drives, it needs to be un-plug from the WD TV.

So the next time when you fire up the WD TV, press the button to power back my book series drive and for USB device just re-plug the USB back in."

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #757 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 06:18 PM »
Ayun pala yon  :D  Thanks for the info.  Malaking tulong yan sa MyBook owners.

Meron bang automatic spin-down sa MyBook?  Yung iiwanan lang, without ejecting, without pressing the button at the back.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2009 at 06:19 PM by barrister »

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #758 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 07:11 PM »
pero siyempre nakalimutan nung tech support nila na hindi lahat ng mybook may power button tulad ng mga essentials ko kaya iemail ko ulit sila...

nakukulitan na cguro sakin mga un.hehehehehe

My Bad, essential product does not have the button but as for the others they do come with. So with Essential product, you will need to unplug the USB int his case."

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #759 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 07:38 PM »

Check your MyBook after around 15 minutes idle time and find out if it automatically spins down.  Touch the MyBook casing.  If it's vibrating, the disc is spinning; if not, the disc is at rest.    

If the MyBook automatically spins down, there's no need to worry.  No need to eject.

So even if the blue light is still on, if the disc is at rest, ok na rin? No need to unplug the power switch or switch off power?

@jaypd97,

does "unplug" mean eject the Mybook or unplug the power switch?

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2009 at 07:41 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #760 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 08:17 PM »
So even if the blue light is still on, if the disc is at rest, ok na rin? No need to unplug the power switch or switch off power?

Pasensiya na panyera, hindi ako familiar sa MyBook, pero sa MyPassport ko, the disc spins down after 10 minutes idle, pero never namamatay ang LED light (white ito), hanggang hindi fully off (power cord unplugged) ang WD.

Sa MyPassport ko, even if the white light is on, OK na kasi the disc is at rest.

But the WD itself, I still unplug it occasionally, kasi the temperature of the WD casing never fully cools down unless the unit is unplugged.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:58 AM by barrister »

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #761 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 08:28 PM »
for me. after powering down the player thru the remote, i switch it off fully thru the AC socket. even without powering down (or waiting for it to power down) My Book, you can see the indicator light slowly fade down until it is full off. then it's safe to turn it off fully also.

only downside i have noticed is that i then have to manually set the WD player resolution every time i turn it on. no big deal though. you can do it while the player is still detecting the hdd so you don't really waste no time before you can begin browsing the titles.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #762 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 09:04 PM »
there should be no issue in turning off the external disk without ejecting it or doing a normal shutdown ... new HDD technology allows the disk to position the read-write heads on the safe landing zone when the power is turned-off ... following is an article regarding this -

When the platters are not spinning, the heads rest on the surface of the disk. When the platters spin up, the heads rub along the surface of the platters until sufficient speed is gained for them to "lift off" and float on their cushion of air. When the drive is spun down, the process is repeated in reverse. In each case, for a period of time the heads make contact with the surface of the disk--while in motion, in fact.

While the platters and heads are designed with the knowledge in mind that this contact will occur, it still makes sense to avoid having this happen over an area of disk where there is data! For this reason, most disks set aside a special track that is designated to be where the heads will be placed for takeoffs and landings. Appropriately, this area is called the landing zone, and no data is placed there. The process of moving the heads to this designated area is called head parking.

Most early hard drives that used stepper motors did not automatically park the heads of the drive. As a safety precaution, small utilities were written that the user would run before shutting down the PC. The utility would instruct the disk to move the heads to the landing zone, and then the PC could be shut off safely. A parameter in the BIOS setup for the hard disk told the system which track was the landing zone for the particular model of hard disk. Usually, it was the next consecutive-numbered track above the largest-numbered one actually used for data.

Modern voice-coil actuated hard disk drives are all auto-parking. On some disks, a weak spring is attached to the head assembly that tries to pull the heads to the landing zone. When power is applied the actuator is able to overpower the spring and position the heads normally. When the power is shut off, the electromagnetic force from the voice coil abates, and the spring yanks the heads to the landing zone before the platters can spin down; this can sometimes be heard on older drives as an audible clunk when you turn the power off. Other disks use a different mechanical or electronic scheme to achieve the same goal. Some even make use of the rotational energy remaining in the spindle motor to move the heads off the data surface when the power is cut off! This means that modern hard disks will automatically park their heads--even in the event of a power failure--and no utilities are required. The BIOS landing zone parameter for modern drives is ignored.

Some people still think that it is necessary to manually park the heads of modern hard disks, but this is not true. I sometimes think of head parking utilities as the disk drive's equivalent of a screen saver. In both cases, the software was invented as a preventative measure, and one that made sense for use with the technology that prevailed at the time it was thought up. And in both cases, the technology has evolved to the point where utility is no longer necessary, yet many people still think it is.

here's the link to the source - http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/op/actParking.html

Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #763 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 09:33 PM »
@barrister

bro ang sabi sakin ng Western Digital with regards to passports,after ejecting you can already unplug the usb from the WDTV :)

Offline renski

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #764 on: Mar 09, 2009 at 11:52 PM »
Nag inquire ako ng WD TV price sa Viramall 5,600 na lang. :)

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #765 on: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:14 AM »
after 1 month nakatago sa room ko kagabi ko lang na test ang wdtv at essentials..wala nmn prob sa akin..when the drive is not in use..the HDD does not vibrate/spin..but the blue LED is on..pag hindi na gamit..turn off the switch lng ng ac..hindi na ako nag eeject

Offline Reefshark

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Ride on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #766 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM »
Same here, I don't eject anymore.  I simply switch off WD TV via remote and then unplug it, the light on My Book will fade and shut down na rin even with out me unplugging it or hitting the power button.

Offline young_Miklo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #767 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 11:08 AM »
guys do you still use the arcsoft media converter? in my case, all my downloaded files works great with wdtv. Do i need conversion to get better video or audio quality with my files?

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #768 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 07:05 PM »
ano  ba optical input neto?  toslink or regular?
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #769 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 07:46 PM »
ano  ba optical input neto?  toslink or regular?

i use regular optical. though i'm interested to know the answer to this question. didn't really read the manual too much. ;D

Offline renski

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #770 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 05:01 PM »
i use regular optical. though i'm interested to know the answer to this question. didn't really read the manual too much. ;D

anong difference sir ng toslink sa regular?  ;D

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #771 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 05:38 PM »
anong difference sir ng toslink sa regular?  ;D

Mas hitech pakinggan TOSLINK kaysa regular OPTICAL so mas maibebenta ng mahal ... hehehe. Pakana yan ng Toshiba, kaya tinawag na TOS-LINK.

The only possible difference is the bandwidth it can support. Branded ones are usually higher but may not have that much difference for short length use only.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #772 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 02:13 PM »
Anyone using a PJ for the WD TV? Can you post some image shots please. TY
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline dhoZe

• Collector
  • -
  • Liked:
« Reply #773 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM »
Mga idol, ok lang po bang gumamit ng ibang brand ng storage device like iomegas? o mas ok pag WD passport?  ;D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #774 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 02:20 AM »

mac and i are both using the WD TV with the panasonic pt-ae900u. one word - dabest!  :D

will post pictures later!   :D
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #775 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 10:19 AM »
mac and i are both using the WD TV with the panasonic pt-ae900u. one word - dabest!  :D

will post pictures later!   :D

Ok bro -- TY. ill wait for the screen shots  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline pooch

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #776 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 10:59 AM »
Mga idol, ok lang po bang gumamit ng ibang brand ng storage device like iomegas? o mas ok pag WD passport?  ;D

any storage devices that uses USB

ako nga flashdrive lang gamit ko for divx series  ;D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #777 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 11:09 AM »

You can see some pics here:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=76181.900

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #778 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 08:04 AM »

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #779 on: Mar 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM »
As mentioned earlier, some guys at AVSforum have created a firmware upgrade allowing network connectivity on our little box.  I've read through the whole thread and I have to confess this is way out of my head.  Maybe somebody here with network savvy take a look into it for us pinoydvd lay peeps.

What I'd like to do is access the files on my NAS to watch on my TV. 

Thanks