Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player  (Read 182600 times)

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: WD TV HD Media Player
« Reply #780 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 01:51 PM »
have you ever experience a no display/audio while currently watching in your wdtv?

while i was watching kasi ngaun bigla na lang wala audio at video lumalabas..ni try ko forward/rewind etc wala na display lumalabas..pero pag punta ako sa menu meron naman output sa display ko..tried ejecting the hard drive and power on/off the wdtv..wala pa din..kahit sa mga files na dati ko pinapanood..

check the receiver pwede naman sa ibang sources..tried resetting the wdtv..and it worked..balik normal na..pero ano ibig sabihin nun?bakit bigla na lang naging ganun while watching a movie..nde nmn lemon unit cguro to noh..

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #781 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 02:39 PM »
check the receiver pwede naman sa ibang sources..tried resetting the wdtv..and it worked..balik normal na..pero ano ibig sabihin nun?bakit bigla na lang naging ganun while watching a movie..nde nmn lemon unit cguro to noh..

Puwede ring lemon nga ... pero umpisa ka muna dapat sa pinakasimpleng solution.

Wala akong bilib sa HDMI e. HDMI ba ang gamit mo sir? 

If so, try another HDMI cable for the one that attaches to the WD.  It doesn't have to be an expensive cable.  What is important is that the plugs and sockets mate perfectly.  The slightest loose connection can cause dropouts.  Even if you buy a very expensive HDMI cable that has a plug made exactly to specifications, it will still not mate perfectly if it's the socket on your player that was not made to exact size specs.   

It's hard to know if the cable's plug will mate perfectly with your socket.  Trial and error lang talaga.  Fraction of a millimeter lang kasi ang differences niyan.   

It could be that the resetting of the WD had nothing to do with it.  Baka nagalaw ang HDMI plug nung nag-reset, natiyempo lang na kumilos ang HDMI plug, tumama uli ang connection.

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2009 at 02:43 PM by barrister »

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #782 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 03:57 PM »
thanks for that reply sir barrister..i did check the connection of the hdmi (tried to reseat it)..then power on both the drives and player..then wala pa din..went to the settings of the wdtv and tried to reset it..after reset ok na lahat ulit..I never touch my interconnects unless there is a need to..kaya ng tataka lng ako kasi im in the middle of a movie tapos bigla nging ganun..and check my other files ayaw na din mg play..sana nde na lang maulit..or kung maulit man sana andun pa warranty  :-\

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #783 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 05:33 PM »
I tried searching avsforum for you.  Their WD thread is now so long that it's become extremely difficult to do a search.

Based on avsforum posts, I have 2 more theories:

1.  It could be a defective HDMI port on the WD.

Send that unit back for a new one. I bought one and my hdmi signal would fade away after a few minutes of play and i would have to reset the unit for it to work, I know its the hdmi on the device because i run my ps3 to my tv or projector and it works perfectly. I always had to reset it every few mins for hdmi but composite worked perfect. I talked to WD and they said that there is a malfunction in some of the units hdmi ports. I could still here audio from the optical but the video cut out.  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1080840&page=36

2.  It could be an HDMI handshake problem, in cases where there is an incompatibility between a non-HDCP media player and an HDCP-enabled TV.

Some people who know much more than I do have suggested that this 'incompatibility' alone could explain why I (and others) can't get a proper HDMI signal out of the WD-TV. No HDCP handshake, no go. Obviously, I'd like to believe that my problem is down to a faulty unit - but I'd hate to get another and find the same issue occurring. I wonder if you - or others - could kindly let me know if your TV's HDMI input is also permanently HDCP-enabled, or if you reckon that the WD-TV's non-HDCP output is getting to your screen in some non-HDCP/non-handshake way?  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15232125

Offline jaypd97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #784 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 07:05 PM »
kung magbabackread ka sir parang ganyan din ung nangyari sakin dati. pinaRMA ko tapos after ilang gamit ganun din ang nangyari.i guess wala na un sa una kong WDTV. ung RMA na nakuha ko nagkaproblem ng simula ngayon for some reason ok na ulit. hindi kaya sa HDMI cable? ung cable ko kasi ung tig 600 lang e...

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #785 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 07:57 PM »
This is what i notice with our Toshiba LCD & WD media player. Its takes long for the the image to come out via HDMI.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #786 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 10:00 PM »
kung magbabackread ka sir parang ganyan din ung nangyari sakin dati. pinaRMA ko tapos after ilang gamit ganun din ang nangyari.i guess wala na un sa una kong WDTV. ung RMA na nakuha ko nagkaproblem ng simula ngayon for some reason ok na ulit.

Sayang, hindi ko nabasa yun sir e.  Mabuti na rin napa-RMA ang first unit.  At least may konting assurance na baka hindi yung WD ang problema.

hindi kaya sa HDMI cable? ung cable ko kasi ung tig 600 lang e...

Yan na nga ang unang suggestion ko, mababasa mo sa prior page ng thread na ito (Page 26), sa Reply# 779.  When attempting to resolve a problem, dapat mag-umpisa sa pinaka-simpleng solution, bago pumunta sa mas complicated or mas expensive na solution.  Kaya dapat talagang first step ay sumubok muna ng ibang HDMI cable. 

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM by barrister »

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #787 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 10:05 PM »
thanks again sir barrister..with your post regarding sa avs..mukhang katulad nung number 1 issue sa akin..1st time lang nangyari ito..and I will observe it..pag nangyari ulit..ill swap the hdmi cables..pag wala..since me warranty naman..baka pede i replace na

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #788 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM »
@barrister

sir pa update kami pag bili mo ng HDMI cable saka anong brand na din :)

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #789 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 06:48 AM »
This is what i notice with our Toshiba LCD & WD media player. Its takes long for the the image to come out via HDMI.

hmmm... i also have this issue with my tosh xde500 upscaler...  parang hirap yung hk255 ko na masagap ang signal?  ???  was thinking it was the hdmi cable...

sir andre, have you tried different hdmi cables with your toshiba lcd and wd tv combo?  just bought myself a wd tv this past saturday and i'm buying an hdmi cable today...
There's only one way to find out right?

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #790 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 07:05 AM »
I dont think its the hdmi cable problem (generic or branded), maybe its the hdmi handshake between the toshiba & wd. bec. i tried it with samsung, sony, vizio lcd & panasonic pj, the image instantly pops out.

Offline thesaint

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #791 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 07:12 AM »
I dont think its the hdmi cable problem (generic or branded), maybe its the hdmi handshake between the toshiba & wd. bec. i tried it with samsung, sony, vizio lcd & panasonic pj, the image instantly pops out.

Sir kung verified na sa ibang LCDTV na ok. Malamang sa toshiba na yung problema.
May we know the exact model of your toshiba?

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #792 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM »
hi guys,

I have a question regarding the 1080p24hz setting in playing mkv files be it 720 or 1080p.  The problem is there's judder everytime i set the wdtv to the said resolution when playing mkv files.  Is this a software problem? I thought the judder had something to do with my lcd before which was a bravia 32s400, but it still happens with the pv8 i have right now. Ok naman na pag 720p60hz or 1080p60hz ang setting, the judder only becomes apparent with the 1080p24hz.  Help guys. Thanks.

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:06 AM »
Toshiba 42A3500E, Maybe this is just an isolated case. Switch back to TVIX with Toshiba LCD.

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #794 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:47 AM »
it happened again  :'(

while watching movie kanina..bigla na lang ng stop..or nag freeze ung picture..i stopped it and resume playback..but an error occurred..the file format is not supported? wat?! :o so I tried to play the previous movies I have watched..and still the error persists..so I do what I usually do..power on/off both devices (wdhdtv and HDD)..and start over but still the same error..file not supported..last resort..I reset the wdhdtv under the system settings..and voila it worked normally again..now I do not want to rely on this reset thing..

and I am beginning to believe that my wdhdtv player has a problem..  :'(

can this be a reason for replacement?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #795 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 12:15 PM »
I have a question regarding the 1080p24hz setting in playing mkv files be it 720 or 1080p.  The problem is there's judder everytime i set the wdtv to the said resolution when playing mkv files.  Is this a software problem? I thought the judder had something to do with my lcd before which was a bravia 32s400, but it still happens with the pv8 i have right now. Ok naman na pag 720p60hz or 1080p60hz ang setting, the judder only becomes apparent with the 1080p24hz.  Help guys. Thanks.

This is a known WD issue that should get a fix in future firmware updates.  Medyo mahirap ang explanation nito, but I'll try to make it as clear as possible.

The problem is caused by 2 things:

1.  The difference between 24p (or 24fps or 24 frames per second) and 23.976p; and
2.  Amateur encoders.

The frequency of 24p (24 progressive frames per second) is often confused with 23.976p because usually, the latter is also referred to as "24p" for convenience.

In reality, film has a frame rate of true 24p, not 23.976.  For NTSC compatibility, film's 24p is usually converted to 23.976p for video.  That's because 23.976 will give 24 a common denominator of 100.1% with NTSC's 29.97 frames from 30 frames.

If NTSC's 29.97 fps is 30 fps divided by 1.001, then celluloid's 24 fps divided by the same denominator of 1.001 will give us 23.976 fps, for better NTSC compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p#23.976p

Those amateur encoders should encode at 24p, not 23.976p, to avoid problems with some media players and HTPCs.

The WD can handle a 24p source, but it will have stutter problems with a 23.976p source.  Here's the description on the unofficial WD Bug List:

In "1080p 24Hz" display resolution mode, 23.976 fps video files (e.g. .M2TS) suffer a short stuttering/juddering in an exactly 40-seconds cycle.  This juddering usually occurs, if the device outputs fixed 24.000 fps whereas it should output 23.976 fps.

In "1080p 24Hz" display resolution mode, 23.976 fps video files in .MKV containers stutter extremely hard every ~25 seconds for about 10 seconds.  Remuxing to the .M2TS container temporary solves the issue, but the 40-seconds-cycle juddering is still present then. (Please take a look at the other bug report where the 40-seconds-cycle juddering is described in detail)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100499
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM by barrister »

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #796 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 01:33 PM »
thank you sir barrister for a very informative discussion.  hopefully a future update addresses the problem.  Ang ganda kasi talaga ng panning pag 24p.  I was able to play the LOTR III xvid 1080p using 1080p24hz without any problems, and you can really see the difference. thanks again sir barrister.

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #797 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 05:00 PM »
Has anybody tried this kind of connection?

WD MyBook connected to PC via Esata cable and WD TV Media player via USB simulataneously.

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #798 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 05:06 PM »
@andre

hi ive already tried this but it doesnt work. ive already emailed western digital about this and they said they will take it into consideration...
hopefully sa next firmware nila madagdag para di na hassle ang file transfer

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #799 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 05:16 PM »
Hey, that was a quick reply. Thanks for the info jaypd97.

I'm planning to buy the esata version, usb 2.0 is soooo slow when you transfer the whole drive to another drive.

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #800 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 09:18 PM »
I'm planning to buy the esata version, usb 2.0 is soooo slow when you transfer the whole drive to another drive.

hmm... i have two my books and i connected both to my pc, transferring files between drives. i'm getting around 22-33MBps transfer rates, or that's what the indicator says.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #801 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 09:31 PM »
I also get 20 to 33 mbps via USB. But they say when you have esata, you could get 4x the speed.

Offline renski

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #802 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:14 PM »
Hindi ko alam kung pareho kami ng case ni disturbed. Yung WDTV ko bigla na lang napuputol yung movie tapos mag ju-jump sa home.  Akala ko tuloy hindi kumpleto yung file na na download ko. Twice na nangyari sakin to. Pero pag try ko ulit i play wala naman nagiging problema. Ang ayoko lang kailangan ko i fast forward at maghintay ng matagal para lang mapuntahan ko ulit kung san nag stop yung movie.

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #803 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:55 PM »
Hindi ko alam kung pareho kami ng case ni disturbed. Yung WDTV ko bigla na lang napuputol yung movie tapos mag ju-jump sa home.  Akala ko tuloy hindi kumpleto yung file na na download ko. Twice na nangyari sakin to. Pero pag try ko ulit i play wala naman nagiging problema. Ang ayoko lang kailangan ko i fast forward at maghintay ng matagal para lang mapuntahan ko ulit kung san nag stop yung movie.

pag ni stop naman di ba meron naman resume para hindi mo na i forward? sa akin kasi..ayaw na mag resume..pero nde ka pa naman ng system reset sir?

Offline renski

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #804 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 08:14 AM »
pag nag play ulit ako wala ng resume. Mag start ulit yung movie. Hindi pa sir ako nag system reset.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #805 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 08:16 AM »
I also get 20 to 33 mbps via USB. But they say when you have esata, you could get 4x the speed.

So far sa tests ko, maximum eSATA to eSATA (cradle to cradle) sustained transfer speed Ive seen peaked at about 80MB/sec.    Turbo USB of Buffalo external peaks at around 50 MB/sec during transient, but the steady state rate is about 30-35 MB/sec.

Yeah, advantage talaga eSATA/SATA for large chunks of data transfer.    Cuts the time at least in half.

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #806 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM »
well, that could be the theoretical speed. clondalkin's transfer rate will be the more typical.

Yung WDTV ko bigla na lang napuputol yung movie tapos mag ju-jump sa home.  Pero pag try ko ulit i play wala naman nagiging problema. Ang ayoko lang kailangan ko i fast forward at maghintay ng matagal para lang mapuntahan ko ulit kung san nag stop yung movie.

once you're in fast forward (or rewind) mode... you can jump in 10 mins. steps by pressing the NEXT/PREV button just below the FF/REW buttons.

if you're having troubles, check if you have the latest firmware and/or do a system reset.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline young_Miklo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #807 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM »
i downloaded steet kings 4.5gb file overnight. completed in 13 hrs. when i left the pc, transfer rate was somewhere between 200-250 kb/s. one of those "sinners" files. it was the first time i experienced such a quick download.. but usually, it takes 2 days(40-60 hrs) to complete 4-6gb files. then i transfer it to my 1tb hdd. isp is globe.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM by young_Miklo »

Offline koykoy

• Collector
  • The answer my friend...
  • Liked:
« Reply #808 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 02:36 PM »
I know this might have been covered before but I cant seem to find it.

Can you play a movie with DTS audio using optical cable to an AVR?

Offline young_Miklo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #809 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 02:49 PM »
yes, mine is connected to samsung ht-z210 via optical cable and works fine with dts audio