Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player  (Read 182548 times)

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: WD TV HD Media Player
« Reply #810 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 02:53 PM »
Yes as long as your AVR has a DTS decoder.

Offline koykoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • The answer my friend...
  • Liked:
« Reply #811 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 04:04 PM »
thats great.  will get one today. hehe

Offline JayR1129

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #812 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:23 PM »
gud pm mga sirs, question lang.. bkit sbi dti hndi nito kya mgdecode ng dts or 5.1 na audio??   ???

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #813 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM »
Hindi nga kaya ng WDTV mag decode ng DTS. I think they were talking about the AV Receiver as the one decoding the DTS audio.
So a file with DTS audio is passed by the WDTV to the AVR for decoding (via optical cable).
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline pooch

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #814 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM »
tagal naman ng FW update  :-[

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #815 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:20 AM »
i'm really fine with the WD TV without the dts decoding. to have the capability, for sure it will be another add-on cost. for those who really need it, there's the A-110 or the e-great, etc. so it's more of catering to each niche of the market. as it is, this is really one great introduction to the world of HD.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #816 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM »
i'm really fine with the WD TV without the dts decoding. to have the capability, for sure it will be another add-on cost. for those who really need it, there's the A-110 or the e-great, etc. so it's more of catering to each niche of the market. as it is, this is really one great introduction to the world of HD.

True that brader ;)
My desire for getting a media player was just to "play" & nothing else, thus my choice was the WD. I didnt see the need in paying more for features I dont have any intent on using - so this fits the bill perfectly.
While it does have some quirks which is understandable since the technology is still in its teething stage - but I guess you get to live with it till the tech gets better or something better & cheaper comes along ;)

The plus side on this particular brand is its popularity & support for external hdds.......not to mention its great PQ with a PJ ;D

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #817 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 03:10 PM »
hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is a firmware problem but my wdtv does not recognize new downloads i've added to my hd.  my hd is 500gb passport. ive already added a few mkvs two or three weeks ago, wala namang problema. I noticed the problem last night when i tried to watch the movie i just downloaded.  Hindi ko siya makita sa list and another thing, the previous folders(mkv movie) which i already deleted reappeared but without any content, ung folder lang. is this a problem caused by disconnecting the hd without ejecting (though im not sure if such a thing happened)? what are the possible solutions? sorry if this is a noob question but are the mkv folders always in read only mode?  or is this the effect of disconnecting the hd without ejecting? many thanks.

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #818 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 03:20 PM »
what new downloads that didnt play?

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #819 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 03:34 PM »
actually, the problem is not in playing the downloaded file because when i turned the media library on, the mkv i downloaded appeared on the list and i got to play it.  however, after turning the media library to "off", the list once again did not include the latest download i added.  after that, i checked the contents of the hd thru my laptop and the latest downloaded file was there. hence, the media player cannot detect the new download except when turning the media library on (which i do not prefer because it displays all media files it detects in a disorderly manner)

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #820 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 03:48 PM »
if you will notice, there is a "wdxx" folder in the root of the drive. it uses it as a cache/table of contents for the particular drive. it can be that it really hasn't fully catalogued all files yet so you can't see some of them.

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #821 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 04:30 PM »
ok. so do i need to do anything to keep it up to date? or will it update automatically upon reconnection of the hd?

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #822 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 04:39 PM »
if you can connect your external hdd to a pc, delete the folder so that it will do a refresh of the drive contents. you may have to wait for a while though for it to finish its work.

Offline oneirogmophobic

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #823 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 04:42 PM »
thanks bro gearhead. I'll try it later when i get home. hopefully it fixes the problem.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #824 on: Mar 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM »
got a question, does it sensitive to HDMI cable version or category? anybody got problem on HDMI connection? ....  ::)  ::)

;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #825 on: Mar 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM »
got a question, does it sensitive to HDMI cable version or category? anybody got problem on HDMI connection? ....  ::)  ::)

;D

Funny you asked that, I was just testing my HDMI cables on the WD player and here's what we have thus far:

1) Generic HDMI (not sure what ver) = No probs
2) Sony HDMI 1.3a = No probs
3) Monster HDMI 1.3a = No probs

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #826 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 08:04 AM »
regarding sa HDMI cable, i had problems before regarding that.di ko lang actually sure kung sa HDMI cable ba yun or sa WDTV. walang picture lumalabas. first time nangyari un kala ko dahil sa generic cable ko lang kaya pinaRMA ko cable. nangyari ulit kaya pinaRMA ko ung WDTV ko. ngayon bago na pareho, minsan nanyayari pa din. ang ginagawa ko ginagalaw ko ung position ng WDTV. cguro nabebend ung cable,di ko lang talaga sure...

with regards naman sa external passport, natatandaan ko na kasama sa bugs ata ng bagong firmware yung pag hindi mo ineject ung harddrive mo, may chance na parang magiging wirte only or read only na lang ung drive mo...

sana nga lumabas na ung bagong firmware. meron pa kasi mga file types na hindi supported e. :/

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #827 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 12:43 PM »
Funny you asked that, I was just testing my HDMI cables on the WD player and here's what we have thus far:

1) Generic HDMI (not sure what ver) = No probs
2) Sony HDMI 1.3a = No probs
3) Monster HDMI 1.3a = No probs

thanks for the reply bro. Carlo...  ;D

I asked, because when I connected my generic HDMI cable no picture, but the cable works fine with my oppo dvd player, I went back to the store and tested with other brand of HDMI cable it worked fine...  ::)  ::)  ::)  >:(

Now, I'm using it w/ composite connnection and yet to be tested other cables...  ???  ???  >:(
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #828 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 01:32 PM »

;D

i'm using a 10m generic hdmi cable and so far haven't encountered any problem.

Offline owen17

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #829 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 01:50 PM »
sirs external hdd ba ang kelangan ng wdtv??

thanks!

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #830 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 01:53 PM »
Basta may USB connection. So pwedeng flash drive, external drives like My Book or internal drives put inside enclosures or docks.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #831 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 02:11 PM »

;D

i'm using it with a CDR king HDMI cable, no problems encountered with video.

Offline owen17

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #832 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 04:05 PM »
may support na ba to for dvd menu?? and for the special feature of the dvd??

thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2009 at 05:22 PM by owen17 »

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #833 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 02:37 PM »
may support na ba to for dvd menu?? and for the special feature of the dvd??

thanks!

alam ko po wala

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #834 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 03:43 PM »
i'm using it with a CDR king HDMI cable, no problems encountered with video.

thanks! ma'am for the reply...  ;)

'will try today with other cable...   :D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline T33K0Y

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #835 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 09:53 PM »

I asked, because when I connected my generic HDMI cable no picture, but the cable works fine with my oppo dvd player, I went back to the store and tested with other brand of HDMI cable it worked fine...  ::)  ::)  ::)  >:(

Now, I'm using it w/ composite connnection and yet to be tested other cables...  ???  ???  >:(

That's weird..  ??? 

I own a different media player... an NMT actually.. but I had a similar experience just recently... Initially thought the NMT is the problem.  But later on found out that the HDMI cable is the culprit.

It appears the HDMI cable that came with my NMT has a defect or compatibility issue (I'm not really sure about this...  ???) because it suddenly stopped working.. no picture on the TV... tried everything I know to troubleshoot the problem but not successful.  Finally, I switched cables and used the 2 y.o. HDMI of my Oppo 981, don't know if it's already the 1.3 version but it worked :D. Until now it's still connected to my NMT and never encountered the problem again.. so far...  I tested the supposedly defective HDMI cable with my Oppo and panasonic HTIB players and it worked fine naman.. Weird!  ???

Ano kaya naging problem? Maybe compatibility issue?  ??? ??? ???

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2009 at 10:05 PM by t33k0y »

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #836 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 01:14 AM »

That's the problem with some of these media players sometimes namimili ng hdmi cable. My brother tried 2 cables before it "connected". Must be a weird "handshaking" issue, this could be easily fixed with a firmware update - I guess ;)

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #837 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 07:58 AM »
Question: Does the WDTV really reverts back to Composite from the HDMI set-up when turned off?.....This is my experience when I set it with HDMI connection yestereday, is the composite cable connection the default, I have to use the PIP in order to click the yse /cancel prompt so that it's set to HDMI.Weird. ???  :P

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #838 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 08:43 AM »
Question: Does the WDTV really reverts back to Composite from the HDMI set-up when turned off?.....This is my experience when I set it with HDMI connection yestereday, is the composite cable connection the default, I have to use the PIP in order to click the yse /cancel prompt so that it's set to HDMI.Weird. ???  :P

Boss Alfie, by "off" do you mean unplugged? i remember this happening to me once when i turned off the line conditioner my wd was plugged into... i havn't turned the line conditioner since  ;D  will experiment later...
There's only one way to find out right?

Offline Reefshark

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Ride on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #839 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 08:52 AM »

Not in my case, I usually turn off my WD TV via remote then unplug the unit after.  When I switch it on to watch again (even after a day or two) the picture still shows.  By the way, the WD TV is only connected via HDMI to my LCD.