Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player  (Read 182569 times)

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: WD TV HD Media Player
« Reply #930 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 04:43 PM »
AVI now starts immediately.   

The delayed AVI start was a bug of the 1st release for firmware 1.02 Beta.  It was fixed in the 2nd release (1.02.03; April 4, 2008). 

The bug did not recur in any of the subsequent Beta versions, including the current 5th release (1.02.07).

Thanks barrister! I'm still debating whether to upgrade now or wait for the official 1.02 release. :)

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #931 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 04:52 PM »
connect to htib via optical and your htib must have a dts decoder via optical if some of your files are DTS

hi brother, i dont think dav270k ng sony has Optical. then prologic na 5.1 na lang sya no?
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #932 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 04:55 PM »
good points there, sir. same as mine. hehe! ganyan din reason ko why i stuck with the wdtv. gusto ko lang naman manood ng HD, and wala rin akong hi-speed internet for downloading. so value for money talaga.

i much like that i can attach just the drive where i have the movie/s i plan on watching (i have catalogued the contents already), whereas with the e-great/pch one drive is always attached.

to some extent yes, but since this is a thorny issue, i will limit my statement to that.  ;)

not sure how OC you are with PQ, but for me I'm fine with a properly encoded 720p, esp. since my PJ is 720p native. it may not be night and day, but the difference between 720p and dvd is substantial already.

depends if me optical in and htib mo. if just 2-ch stereo, hanggang prologic lang siya. kung dts pa ang source audio, no sound ka.

thank you bro, this is a very detailed response. :)

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #933 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 05:06 PM »
Thanks barrister! I'm still debating whether to upgrade now or wait for the official 1.02 release. :)

and why so, brother? it's so easy to update naman, unlike when updating a pc bios for instance (though even that had already been greatly simplified too). download firmware, extract the files to a usb drive, connect, and the wdtv takes care of the rest.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #934 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 05:22 PM »
BIggest reason why WDTV and not Egreat and PCH is the Cost, and priary reason why they are more expensive than WDTV is becuase they can be directly connected to internet at wala naman kame sir mabilis na internet just the PLDT 990    50kbps/sec lang ang download speed. But if PCH and Egreat have better picture quality inspite of their higher tag price I think mag bago kame ng isip 

Recent din ang acquisition ko ng Egreat through a trade with a fellow member.  Hopefully, he’s as elated as I am right now.  Personally, the networking capabilities of the Egreat is not relevant to me, and the only function that matters is the playback capability.  So far, all the contents Ive thrown on the Egreat worked absolutely great and it still amazes me that such a diminutive device can match the mkv processing powers of a full sized desktop.

Since I don’t have a WDTV, you can consider this a hearsay.  But a nice friend who happens to own a WDTV informed that there are random issues with some mkvs but mukhang hindi naman marami.   Besides, you can always find a lighter or more efficient 720p encode which the WDTV should be able to handle well.  In other words, the usability factor of the WDTV is very high, however, the Egreat it seems, is even higher.  Whether such playback advantage of the NMT is worth the extra money is the big question.

Also the thought of having it all in just 1 or 2 HDD kesa magpagawa pa ako ng new rack kasi pun na rack ko really plays a big part into getting one.

The ultimate question is, does it replace BD player? Same picture quality ba sir? Ang thinking kasi namen is, why but a BD player whcic costs at least 20k then buy discs na ang mahal pa kung makakakuha naamn ng WDTV then download its contents.

Gumugulo rin ang management once you start collecting hard drives, unless you invest on NAS..hehehe.

If the question of legality is not a concern, then I’d say practically yes.  But the legal implications should NEVER be set aside in a mature discussion, so it’s better not to ask that question in the first place.  Same picture quality – NO, of course not – but not too far off depending on the quality of encode.  On a 50V monitor, 1080p MKVs and even some 720p ones are plainly beautiful enough, certainly a “big leap” compared to DVD – what more can you ask for relative to the price of acquisition?  Lossless audio – NO – but I personally, I still haven’t figure out what’s wrong with lossy DTS or DD, if any, as applied to movies.  Bottom line is, the overall quality is scarily excellent for those who are in the business of selling BDs and DVDs.

Lastly, kung 720p naman native resoultion ng tv namen, and if we were to choose between 720p and 1080p ( which will be eventually downscaled to 720p din naman) files, ano ang dapat namen piliin? Si 720p kasi mas maliit ang files nya at mas madaming mailalagay kesa sa 1080p na 2x tyhe files size ni 720p na eventually madownscale din naman? alin ang mas magandang picture?

There’s another way of looking at mkvs.  The higher the video bitrate, the lesser the compression.  So whether or not the HDTV would downscale a movie to fit its screen, the quality of 1080p data being fed into it is “richer” to begin with.  I’ve been thinking of a good analogy and although this thought is not an exact match, probably it can help in the understanding better.   Let’s say you want to print a picture in 5R.  Would you shoot at overkill highest resolution/highest quality settings of the DSLR or set it to an intermediate resolution/quality that is closer to that of 5R size? 

Anyway, pinapahirap ko lang yata ang mundo ng PQ, so my simple advise is, there are merits to getting 1080p files (if you can conveniently obtain them) regardless of the limitations of the monitor or the player.   Color saturation tends to be closer to the source, blocky spots in homogenous portions of the video are less.  If a 32-inch HD CRT (which has essentially an “indeterminate” resolution –it’s more like a trying hard high def monitor - hehehe) manages to show the difference, what more a 42 inch digital TV.  Nothing wrong with trying. 

And as I understand, you and 2 other friends are planning to buy together, so I suppose that’s 3TB of data amongst yourselves.   3TB is like over 300 1080p titles which should be good for many months (even a year or so) of viewing, unless you suddenly stop your normal daily routine and get stuck inside the TV room.  So why save HDD space for 720ps?

BTW, you dont need an internal drive sa Egreat all the time (ewan ko lang kung gagamitin yung networking functions).  You can readily play from an external drive.

Well, best of luck.

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #935 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 05:36 PM »
BIggest reason why WDTV and not Egreat and PCH is the Cost, and priary reason why they are more expensive than WDTV is becuase they can be directly connected to internet at wala naman kame sir mabilis na internet just the PLDT 990    50kbps/sec lang ang download speed. But if PCH and Egreat have better picture quality inspite of their higher tag price I think mag bago kame ng isip 

Recent din ang acquisition ko ng Egreat through a trade with a fellow member.  Hopefully, he’s as elated as I am right now.  Personally, the networking capabilities of the Egreat is not relevant to me, and the only function that matters is the playback capability.  So far, all the contents Ive thrown on the Egreat worked absolutely great and it still amazes me that such a diminutive device can match the mkv processing powers of a full sized desktop.

Since I don’t have a WDTV, you can consider this a hearsay.  But a nice friend who happens to own a WDTV informed that there are random issues with some mkvs but mukhang hindi naman marami.   Besides, you can always find a lighter or more efficient 720p encode which the WDTV should be able to handle well.  In other words, the usability factor of the WDTV is very high, however, the Egreat it seems, is even higher.  Whether such playback advantage of the NMT is worth the extra money is the big question.

Also the thought of having it all in just 1 or 2 HDD kesa magpagawa pa ako ng new rack kasi pun na rack ko really plays a big part into getting one.

The ultimate question is, does it replace BD player? Same picture quality ba sir? Ang thinking kasi namen is, why but a BD player whcic costs at least 20k then buy discs na ang mahal pa kung makakakuha naamn ng WDTV then download its contents.

Gumugulo rin ang management once you start collecting hard drives, unless you invest on NAS..hehehe.

If the question of legality is not a concern, then I’d say practically yes.  But the legal implications should NEVER be set aside in a mature discussion, so it’s better not to ask that question in the first place.  Same picture quality – NO, of course not – but not too far off depending on the quality of encode.  On a 50V monitor, 1080p MKVs and even some 720p ones are plainly beautiful enough, certainly a “big leap” compared to DVD – what more can you ask for relative to the price of acquisition?  Lossless audio – NO – but I personally, I still haven’t figure out what’s wrong with lossy DTS or DD, if any, as applied to movies.  Bottom line is, the overall quality is scarily excellent for those who are in the business of selling BDs and DVDs.

Lastly, kung 720p naman native resoultion ng tv namen, and if we were to choose between 720p and 1080p ( which will be eventually downscaled to 720p din naman) files, ano ang dapat namen piliin? Si 720p kasi mas maliit ang files nya at mas madaming mailalagay kesa sa 1080p na 2x tyhe files size ni 720p na eventually madownscale din naman? alin ang mas magandang picture?

There’s another way of looking at mkvs.  The higher the video bitrate, the lesser the compression.  So whether or not the HDTV would downscale a movie to fit its screen, the quality of 1080p data being fed into it is “richer” to begin with.  I’ve been thinking of a good analogy and although this thought is not an exact match, probably it can help in the understanding better.   Let’s say you want to print a picture in 5R.  Would you shoot at overkill highest resolution/highest quality settings of the DSLR or set it to an intermediate resolution/quality that is closer to that of 5R size? 

Anyway, pinapahirap ko lang yata ang mundo ng PQ, so my simple advise is, there are merits to getting 1080p files (if you can conveniently obtain them) regardless of the limitations of the monitor or the player.   Color saturation tends to be closer to the source, blocky spots in homogenous portions of the video are less.  If a 32-inch HD CRT (which has essentially an “indeterminate” resolution –it’s more like a trying hard high def monitor - hehehe) manages to show the difference, what more a 42 inch digital TV.  Nothing wrong with trying. 

And as I understand, you and 2 other friends are planning to buy together, so I suppose that’s 3TB of data amongst yourselves.   3TB is like over 300 1080p titles which should be good for many months (even a year or so) of viewing, unless you suddenly stop your normal daily routine and get stuck inside the TV room.  So why save HDD space for 720ps?

BTW, you dont need an internal drive sa Egreat all the time (ewan ko lang kung gagamitin yung networking functions).  You can readily play from an external drive.

Well, best of luck.

thank you so much sir! i noticed sa isang thread, most people Egreat ang gamit, i was anticipating na PCH or WDTV.

Will you be so kind to let me know kung magkano na ang current value ng Egreat? thanks!

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #936 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 05:44 PM »
thank you so much sir! i noticed sa isang thread, most people Egreat ang gamit, i was anticipating na PCH or WDTV.

Will you be so kind to let me know kung magkano na ang current value ng Egreat? thanks!

I think members like Gren or Ert should know best with regard to pricing.   And I remember reading somewhere that you can get the 31A version for 10K yata.   You definitely save some thousands of pesos on the WDTV but...ikaw rin...hehehe.  Wag kalang kumain sa labas masyado ng isang buwan bawi na siguro..hehehe.   

How much is the WDTV nowadays?

Have you considered the following option with your friends.  Bili kayo ng isang PCH or Egreat and then isang WDTV muna then test which one you like better.    Hindi naman yata mahirap ibenta either of the 2 sa site.    The only thing I can guarantee you is that the Egreat will play all 1080ps from your source.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009 at 05:50 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #937 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 05:53 PM »
I think members like Gren or Ert should know best with regard to pricing.   And I remember reading somewhere that you can get the 31A version for 10K yata.   You definitely save some thousands of pesos on the WDTV but...ikaw rin...hehehe.  Wag kalang kumain sa labas masyado ng isang buwan bawi na siguro..hehehe.   

How much is the WDTV nowadays?

Have you considered the following option with your friends.  Bili kayo ng isang PCH or Egreat and then isang WDTV muna then test which one you like better.    Hindi naman yata mahirap ibenta either of the 2 sa site.    The only thing I can guarantee you is that the Egreat will play all 1080ps from your source.   ;D

5,800pesos sir ang WDTV, 11.7k if bundled with 1tera HDD mybook. well marami raming pollo cremoso ng Pasto yan ah. ;D  anyway, I will definitely consider your suggestion sir!

Thank you so much!

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #938 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 06:03 PM »
5,800pesos sir ang WDTV, 11.7k if bundled with 1tera HDD mybook. well marami raming pollo cremoso ng Pasto yan ah. ;D  anyway, I will definitely consider your suggestion sir!

Mura nga no.  Very attractive price.

Well you'd probably look more handsome if you lessen the calories and carbohydrates a little..but you'd have more problems with the ladieS    ;D ;D ;D  biro lang poh.

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #939 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 07:41 PM »

I updated my WD w/ the latest firmware, so far everything is working fine!
Tried copying my R1 extended edition LOTR using nero w/o the menus just the movie...it plays well w/ the WD!
 :)
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #940 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 07:43 PM »
BIggest reason why WDTV and not Egreat and PCH is the Cost, and priary reason why they are more expensive than WDTV is becuase they can be directly connected to internet at wala naman kame sir mabilis na internet just the PLDT 990 ;D  50kbps/sec lang ang download speed. But if PCH and Egreat have better picture quality inspite of their higher tag price I think mag bago kame ng isip :)

I think it depends on your needs.  If you're not tech-savy and just want plain playback, I think WDTV is enough.  The main selling point for NMTs over WDTV is their networking abilities; secondary are the internet-related functionalities.  For WDTV, you can only plug in 1 external HDD at a time. This is ok if you have a big HDD and few movies.  But if you have large or growing collections, say 2TB ~ 4TB up, it's more practical and cheaper to store in several internal HDDs inside a low-powered PC hooked to the local area network.  Your NMT can access all the files in that PC so no more need of changing ext. HDD just to search for movies.  With this set-up, you can easily add NMT for each room (one for you and one for the kids) and all these NMTs can access the same PC and play the same or different movies/music at the same time.  

PQ and AQ I think are the same for WDTV and NMTs.

Of course not.  Iba pa rin ang orig.  You get lossless audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc.) --> better AQ if you have the right equipment to decode it.  You also access all the special features and behind the scenes, etc.

If you have a small 720p TV, 720p are fine.  You won't get the full benefits of 1080p anyway.  I beg to disagree with the post above re 1080p having better PQ than 720p.  Resolutions have nothing to do with PQ.  The encode must get enough bitrates appropriate for its size though otherwise the PQ is not nice.  I remember Sir Streetsmart's post about the different factors that contribute to a better PQ.  Contrast ratio, black level, sharpness are more important than resolutions which are simply a measure of image size (1920x1080, 1280x720, 720x480).  If the encodes are properly done, you can hardly notice the difference between 720p and 1080p in a not so large 720p panel.  There are several tests on this posted over the internet.  More often than not, especially scene releases, the 720p files are not properly encoded that's why their 1080p counterpart seems to look better.

The good thing about 1080p though is for archiving and if you plan to rewatch it in the future when you upgrade to a 1080p HDTV, your 1080p will still look stunning while your 720p not so much since the image will be stretched to fill the 1080p panel thereby loosing some elements in the picture.  Your choice :)
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 04:00 PM by milken »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #941 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 08:04 PM »
and why so, brother? it's so easy to update naman, unlike when updating a pc bios for instance (though even that had already been greatly simplified too). download firmware, extract the files to a usb drive, connect, and the wdtv takes care of the rest.

Yes, very easy. I upgraded my fw to 1.01 immediately upon getting my wdtv a couple of months ago. I just like to avoid any possible bugs of a beta version (like the long wait for the video to start playing that was mentioned earlier). Specially since the device is playing fine right now. But as I said, I'm thinking about it.

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #942 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 08:38 PM »
Updated to .07 version and it resolved the long wait time before the movie playing. BAck to normal na uli siya.
Encountered the ling wait time when I ugraded from 1.01 to 1.02
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #943 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 03:18 AM »
@audiojunkie

sir mon,  thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it.  :)  you are a credit to this community.  Apparently, I have the worst timing ever as the .07 was released a day after I hassled you :P  I'm using the most recent prerelease now, and I THINK it loads faster. :D

@anchit

sir in my humble opinion, the WD is incredible value for its price. It's a great buy especially if you have not been exposed to a lot of hi-def playbacks.  As sir Clondalkin has stated, the leap from DVD to this is quite significant.  The improved level of detail is a given, but I was also pleasantly surprised by the depth of color you are able to experience.  Honestly, my DVD-trained eyes were near overload the first time I tried a marathon. If you are relatively new to hi-def playback, I am pretty sure it'll be a while before you even start noticing some bugs   ;D

However, that being said, it really still has some small issues that taken as a whole, might prove annoying to some (I am guilty of this). I must point out though, that WD is presently very active in trying to address most of them as manifested in the continued release of firmware updates.  ;D

Personally, I bought the WD because I wanted an HD mediaplayer NOW and I simply could not fit an Egreat/etc in my budget.  I bought the WD knowing I would get either a higher-end player or I would set up a decent HTPC rig in the near future.  This logic works for me because of the WD's portability (yes there is the matter of an hd capable monitor, but let's assume that your destination has one, for the sake of argument ;))   ;D  Even if I were already able to upgrade, there would always be a trip to a friend's house or out of town wherein I would want to be able to watch/share(flaunt? ::)) my 720p's/1080p's.  One member here used the ipod shuffle/nano as an analogy. In this case, the WD is/will be my nano  ;D

There's only one way to find out right?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #944 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 07:24 AM »

Thank you so much!

or you could wait for this, i'm sure @gren will have this sooner than we can expect it. wdtv price (well, a tad more expensive) still with network functionality.

quoted from egreat thread.  :)

There's a new model EG-M34A shown in Egreat's website. It's like a souped-up WDTV with networking features. I'm assuming it will pass through DTS-HD since it's hdmi 1.3. It looks like a great option for those who already have external drives. It's being sold on Egreat's US website for $149. I wonder when it will get here.

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 07:25 AM by iiinas »

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #945 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 08:12 AM »
Whats the difference bet. WDTV playing 720p vs upscaled DVD?

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #946 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 09:41 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.. So Sweet!!!

Offline pooch

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #947 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 10:13 AM »
^^ tiyaga mo  ;D

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #948 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 10:18 AM »
^^ tiyaga mo  ;D

passport pa lang yan.wala pa yung nasa 2 TB.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #949 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM »
passport pa lang yan.wala pa yung nasa 2 TB.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sweet.

so which one did you use for it? the folder.jpg or the *filename*.jpg?
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #950 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM »
^^ both...

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #951 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM »
Whats the difference bet. WDTV playing 720p vs upscaled DVD?

imho, malayo. 720p is hidef resolution already while an upscaled dvd is still 480 lines of video but mathematically being process by the dvd's upscaling chip to become either 720 or 1080p and in so doing might appear to be softer and might also have some noise into the video.

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #952 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 02:42 PM »
I think it depends on your needs.  If you're not tech-savy and just want plain playback, I think WDTV is enough.  The main selling point for NMTs over WDTV is their networking abilities; secondary are the internet-related functionalities.  For WDTV, you can only plug in 1 external HDD at a time. This is ok if you have a big HDD and few movies.  But if you have large or growing collections, say 2TB ~ 4TB up, it's more practical and cheaper to store in several internal HDDs inside a low-powered PC hooked to the local area network.  Your NMT can access all the files in that PC so no more need of changing ext. HDD just to search for movies.  With this set-up, you can easily add NMT for each room (one for you and one for the kids) and all these NMTs can access the same PC and play the same or different movies/music at the same time.  

PQ and AQ I think are the same for WDTV and NMTs.

Of course not.  Iba pa rin ang orig.  You get lossless audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc.) --> better AQ if you have the right equipment to decode it.  You also access all the special features and behind the scenes, etc.

If you have a small 720p TV, 720p are fine.  You won't get the full benefits of 1080p anyway.  I beg to disagree with the post above re 1080p having better PQ than 720p.  Resolutions have nothing to do with PQ.  The encode must get enough bitrates appropriate for its size though otherwise the PQ is not nice.  I remember Sir Streetsmart's post about the different factors that contribute to a better PQ.  Contrast ratio, black level, sharpness are more important than resolutions which are simply a measure of image size (1920x1080, 1280x720, 720x480).  If the encodes are properly done, you can hardly notice the difference between 720p and 1080p in a not so large 720p panel.  There are several tests on this posted over the internet.  More often than not, especially scene releases, the 720p files are not properly encoded that's why their 1080p counterpart seems to look better.

Sample screenshot of 720p encode vs. bluray downsized to 720p:
http://achumpatoxford.com/u/files/103/353776b79d1edd1f8e29fffb4d96bd7d.png;  http://achumpatoxford.com/u/files/103/c77f610ff531f1ce1ec02010c052e487.png

The good thing about 1080p though is for archiving and if you plan to rewatch it in the future when you upgrade to a 1080p HDTV.  Your 1080p will still look stunning while your 720p not so much since the image will be stretched to fill the 1080p panel thereby loosing some elements in the picture.  Your choice :)

thank you so much sir!

too bad I cant open the link ng screenshot :-[

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #953 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 04:06 PM »
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 04:08 PM by milken »

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #954 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 04:16 PM »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #955 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 05:14 PM »
Anchit Bro, kung hindi mo pinakyaw yung 1080p versions ng titles na talagang gusto mo...ikaw rin..hehehe...there are things about those particular 1080p files that Im tempted to write about but I wouldnt.

...however I cannot assure you that the WDTV can handle all of them.  yung Egreat sigurado.

Dapat pala na-meet mo ko nung Holy Week ne.   ;D

Anyway, mas malinaw lahat kesa DVD.   ;D

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #956 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 05:44 PM »
Anchit Bro, kung hindi mo pinakyaw yung 1080p versions ng titles na talagang gusto mo...ikaw rin..hehehe...there are things about those particular 1080p files that Im tempted to write about but I wouldnt.

...however I cannot assure you that the WDTV can handle all of them.  yung Egreat sigurado.

Dapat pala na-meet mo ko nung Holy Week ne.   ;D

Anyway, mas malinaw lahat kesa DVD.   ;D

haha now im thinking twice sa pagkuha ng WDTV, natetempt nako ng Egreat. ;) and its your fault sir! hahahaha ;D

Offline jaypd97

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #957 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 06:01 PM »
kano po ba egreat? :) san nakakabili?

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #958 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 06:24 PM »
imho, malayo. 720p is hidef resolution already while an upscaled dvd is still 480 lines of video but mathematically being process by the dvd's upscaling chip to become either 720 or 1080p and in so doing might appear to be softer and might also have some noise into the video.

sirs,

i'm not using a wdtv (i'm using tvix), but i'd just like to share my observations and opinions on the topic -

1. 720p and 1080p downloaded contents looks a lot better than orig DVD on my Pana 42PV8 which is only HD-ready (720p max resolution) ... for this reason, i'm downloading HD contents of the original DVD's that I have - the difference in quality is really significant; i can let go of my dvd originals and keep the HD files
2. difficult to discern the difference between a 720p and 1080p on the Pana 42PV8 - both looks great (observation from a regular viewer)
3. i have a mixture of 720p and 1080p collections, but i usually prefer to download the 720p contents if i'm itching to watch the contents or if i'm having issues already with disk capacity ... but i guess it would really be better to get the 1080p contents for future proofing - we may only have 720p tv's today, but i guess that in a couple of years the entry level models would already be 1080p capable
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #959 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 09:30 PM »
@audiojunkie

sir mon,  thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it.  :)  you are a credit to this community.  Apparently, I have the worst timing ever as the .07 was released a day after I hassled you :P  I'm using the most recent prerelease now, and I THINK it loads faster. :D

no problem...  ;D anytime i could...  :D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest