Author Topic: VOB ISO Media Player  (Read 2614 times)

Offline aremdvna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
VOB ISO Media Player
« on: Nov 04, 2008 at 07:00 AM »
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, so excuse me if this has been discussed or if I'm in the wrong spot.  I'm looking to backup my DVD's to a 500GB SATA Hard Disk.  I don't have a problem ripping the DVD's to the Hard disk as ISO or VOB files, I just want a HDD Media Player to play/store my DVD ISO's onto to use as a virtual DVD changer.  Do any of you own a HDD Media  Players?  I've seen them on ebay.  Would preffer a local seller.

I'd preffer SATA connection that supports up to 1TB for future upgrade, but for now I'll probably only throw in a 500GB SATA drive so Media Players that support up to 750GB will do.  Looking for one that supported ISO's so I'd have full DVD menu's and quality.  I've seen one's that support VOB files, but don't know if that would give you all the menu options like playing the actual DVD.  Have any of you tried playing VOB files off a HDD Media Player?

Also want one that supports DivX playback and SRT subtitle support.  Most HDD Media Players I've seen only support  up to DivX 5, which I don't really understand.

I have a DVD player that plays DivX files on a disk, USB drive, and SD cards.  This got me to think I can save money and just play my video files off an USB external hard disk.  I plugged a 60GB external hard disk into my DVD player, but it wouldn't work. 

I can just connect my computer to my TV, but that requires restarting it and I hate to do that since I loose all my current download connections.  Plus sometimes I get interference using S-Video out, white lines moving up the screen making videos unbearable to me.  I can also copy the DivX files to a SD card or flash disk to play on a DVD player, but memory cards and usb flash disks can only hold so much space.  Popcorn Hour and other media streaming devices seems cool, but over my budget.

The one I'm interested in is MIDTE MDT-PM368HP.  I've seen it locally for 3,400 pesos with out hard drive.  Not bad considering it has HDMI out, Component out, S-Video out, RCA out, and optical out.
http://www.midte.com/English/Products/MDT-PM368HP.html

CD-R King sells one for 2,500 but it doesn't support SATA drives.  I know new 500GB IDE drives can be found for as low as 3,500 pesos but don't want to buy a new drive.  But now that I think about it 6,000 doesn't sound bad for a 500GB Media Player.
http://cdrking.com/local/products/index.php?action=&temp=2&typeno=6824425-652202-835025400-9162003&prod=Cd-r%20King&prodcode=2165966-503976-791617153-9829546

Please let me know what you think and if you have any experience with HDD media players.  Thanks in advance for any input.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My PC
Vista Ultimate
2.8GHz Pentium D
ATI Radeon X1550 (512MB + HyperMemory)
19" Wide Samsung & 15" NEC LCD Monitors
2GB DDR2 667 RAM
1.32TB total (320GB + 500GB SATA Seagate Hard Drives & 500GB SATA Samsung Hard Drive)
Samsung DVDRW lightscribe writer
Firewire 1394 PCI card

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: VOB ISO Media Player
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 08:08 PM »
Check out the Buy & Sell Forum, under the personal Electronics thread.

Almost all the current  HDD Media players can handle vob, iso files and even MKV HD files fro the expensive ones.

Happy Shopping. ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 07:53 AM »
How are you playing your VOBs and ISOS right now?    Combination of Daemon Tools and DVD playback software like PowerDVD?

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 08:12 AM »
Looks like this is the one for you:
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=87629.0

It's reported to have .vob and .iso capability according to WD product manager:
http://forums.macworld.com/message/674970

It's just been released you may as well wait for additional reviews. The $100 price though is bang for the buck.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 09:50 AM »
How are you playing your VOBs and ISOS right now?    Combination of Daemon Tools and DVD playback software like PowerDVD?

My old cheap Mediagate plays ISO and VOB files smoothly and well just like any crisp DVD, sans any infarctions normally experienced thru optical disc players. ;)

I don't know wheter they use Daemon or any DVD player software, since the thread here is only for HDD media player. Now for HTPC.....Daemon tools for XP and Isomagic for Vista....for VOB, it's still PowerDVD. ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2008 at 09:23 AM by Alfie »

Offline thesaint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 10:40 AM »
Yung MPC can play also iso file. without chapter
Yung XBMC din can play iso...with chapter