Author Topic: Chinese pirates offering cheap AVCHD Blu-ray rips on disguised DVD-Rs  (Read 8745 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Just last week we heard that Warner Bros. was ending its home video / DVD business in South Korea due to rampant piracy, and now we've got a report from China suggesting that sophisticated pirates are duping buyers with faux Blu-ray Discs that are actually DVDs. As the story goes, movie pirates in select parts of Asia are ripping bona fide BDs and then burning them in AVCHD format (which uses 720 horizontal lines of resolution compared to Blu-ray's 1,080) on writable DVDs. Word on the street has it that these discs are being offered for around $7 each, and they even boast the BD hologram and the iconic blue hues on the packaging. Reportedly, none of the discs have made it outside of Asia just yet, but stay sharp should you ever get the urge to snag a discounted BD title while traveling abroad.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/11/17/chinese-pirates-offering-cheap-avchd-blu-ray-rips-on-disguised-d/

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
i think meron na nito dito, i just dont know if its encoded using avchd. but there are already people selling disc in real looking bluray cases, but the content is dvd9. pesos 100 each. wonder if this is one and the same.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
No, that's an SD DVD with standard VIDEO_TS files, transcoded from BD.  Packaging looks real.  It's not the old cardboard package (around P70) , it's a translucent blue plastic case (around P100).   

But we do have AVCHD-on-DVD in the Philippines, confirmed by sir ninjababez, around P500 to P700 each.  (Pekeng totoo daw!  :D)  But this is very rare.

It was only last month when I first heard about it, via this post:

remember i bought one .. ;)
its HD on SD using AVCHD .. :D (pekeng totoo parin .. ;D )
i actually copied it .. it can be played in panasonic HTIBs that can read avchd files .. iirc even my panasonic pv80s sdcard reader can read it! :D
ill try it later :D
according to this it works

...   it only plays on ps3 and panasonic htibs (Bolshoie is using one) ..
its only 1080i/720p, i think 3 stages ang encoding nito bro, they have to convert it to a file type that is HD in order to burn it sa SD media ..
but then again 500 is still too much .. :D

...   nope its really HD, theyre selling it for 600 - 700 but they gave it to me at 500 pesos, because they were curious themselves, they wanted me to "dissect" it for them ..   :)
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM by barrister »

Offline ob120485

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • A Sith Lord w/ Elder Wand, One Ring & Walther PPK.
  • Liked:
Goodness... they are getting more and more sophisticated.  >:(

My co-faculty/Program Director in the university has been ranting about his James Bond "Blu-Ray" (kahit ung mga di pa narerelease sa BD). I can't correct him naman as much as i want to (keeping in mind the ethics "kuno" inside the univ. hehehe! and He is one of my boss) so shut up nalang muna ako...  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM by ob120485 »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
No, that's an SD DVD with standard VIDEO_TS files, transcoded from BD.  Packaging looks real.  It's not the old cardboard package (around P70) , it's a translucent blue plastic case (around P100).   

But we do have AVCHD-on-DVD in the Philippines, confirmed by sir ninjababez, around P500 to P700 each.  (Pekeng totoo daw!  :D)  But this is very rare.

It was only last month when I first heard about it, via this post:

ah ok, thanks sir barrister!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
Goodness... they are getting more and more sophisticated.  >:(

My co-faculty/Program Director in the university has been ranting about his James Bond "Blu-Ray" (kahit ung mga di pa narerelease sa BD). I can't correct him naman as much as i want to (keeping in mind the ethics "kuno" inside the univ. hehehe! and He is one of my boss) so shut up nalang muna ako...  ;D

same here, a lot of my friends thought bluray has been pirated already. the main difference between us, i can correct them.  ;D pero nagsawa na rin ako, paulit ulit ang kwento kakatamad na mag explain minsan.  ;D

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Sorry for these noob Qs, as I am new to high-def, so these are Bluray discs?  Just 720p not 1080p or are these something like MKV or some other format?  Playable in any Bluray player?
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline ob120485

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • A Sith Lord w/ Elder Wand, One Ring & Walther PPK.
  • Liked:
same here, a lot of my friends thought bluray has been pirated already. the main difference between us, i can correct them.  ;D pero nagsawa na rin ako, paulit ulit ang kwento kakatamad na mag explain minsan.  ;D

no probs sa friends. I have some advantage dun sa medyo wala pang alam pero minsan parang nagiging nerd na ako sa ka e-explain...hehehe!  ;D To those of my friends whom I "speak with the same language", mas okey kasi its like we are having conversation lang...

(a little OT): mas worst ung nasa isang appliance shop ako last week at nag lakas loob talaga akong i-correct ung 'diser ng isang big company.. akalain mong sinabi nya na pinatay na ng HD-DVD ang Blu-ray. hahahaha! sarap sabihing estoopido!!! sino pa ang bibili ng BD Player kung ganon? dapat nga siya (sila) ung dapat na may alam pero its the other way around... it's an embarrassment really. we need to advertise the media for it to gain more market and for it to be distributed here locally (for our advantage na rin) and the last thing we need are those people spreading wrong infos...

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
Funny, the pirates will often change the packaging but not the content.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Funny, the pirates will often change the packaging but not the content.

Good packaging is one reason for them to jack up the price.  >:(

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
OK. You know the rules.....