Author Topic: 24/7 Download PC and HTPC  (Read 14068 times)

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 24/7 Download PC and HTPC
« Reply #60 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:37 PM »
tagal ko naghanap ng x2 4850e di ata avail dito sa pinas kaya i end up buying the x2 2350.. Parehas sila 45w kaya ideal f0r l0w p0wer htpc..

Offline Rak-Rak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
tagal ko naghanap ng x2 4850e di ata avail dito sa pinas kaya i end up buying the x2 2350.. Parehas sila 45w kaya ideal f0r l0w p0wer htpc..

HD_MOVIES, is that x2 2350 got what it takes to play 1080p? i know you download a gazillion movies, what can it play and what it can?

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 12:32 PM »
HD_MOVIES, is that x2 2350 got what it takes to play 1080p? i know you download a gazillion movies, what can it play and what it can?

can play the 1080p's bro.. kaso sold na.. ;D

am selling my x2 6000+ 3.0Ghz 2mb cache 89W TDP... pm me ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Dec 07, 2008 at 12:33 AM »
can play the 1080p's bro.. kaso sold na.. ;D

am selling my x2 6000+ 3.0Ghz 2mb cache 89W TDP... pm me ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the offer, the present state of the economy is hitting hard on my hobby, im asked to cut down on electric consumption, no more 24 hour downloads. uhmmm sayang naman ang 40kbps kong connection speed... :'(
for all you guys who helped me thru this thread, thanks alot. hope to help you too in the future...

cheers!!! ;D

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #64 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 12:39 PM »
Thanks for the offer, the present state of the economy is hitting hard on my hobby, im asked to cut down on electric consumption, no more 24 hour downloads. uhmmm sayang naman ang 40kbps kong connection speed... :'(
for all you guys who helped me thru this thread, thanks alot. hope to help you too in the future...

cheers!!! ;D

right bro... need to cut down power consumption...

btw... may effect ba if i-pause yung download, turn-off the PC and then resume after mapahinga yung PC by turning it on again and resuming the download?
40-60kbps lang kasi download speed ko so it takes almost 2 days (straight) to download about 8GB mkv file

tia :)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 12:54 PM »
btw... may effect ba if i-pause yung download, turn-off the PC and then resume after mapahinga yung PC by turning it on again and resuming the download?
40-60kbps lang kasi download speed ko so it takes almost 2 days (straight) to download about 8GB mkv file

Effect in terms of what?

In terms of electricity - cant say because download speed goes up and down in time even though you keep on running the torrent continuously.    In cases where a certain file has only a few seeds, it's better not to run continuously, unless you dont mind seeding the rest of the swarm and getting back a little at a time only.

If terms of file integrity - wala - the PC/torrent saves the downloaded portion and resumes from there the next time yun run torrents.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #66 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 12:57 PM »
right bro... need to cut down power consumption...

tia :)
nope its ok .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 11:51 AM »
Effect in terms of what?

In terms of electricity - cant say because download speed goes up and down in time even though you keep on running the torrent continuously.    In cases where a certain file has only a few seeds, it's better not to run continuously, unless you dont mind seeding the rest of the swarm and getting back a little at a time only.

If terms of file integrity - wala - the PC/torrent saves the downloaded portion and resumes from there the next time yun run torrents.

thanks bro... my concern is on integrity/quality...

btw, there are lot of torrents there available for 1 title... how do you choose, the best torrent that have the best mkv in terms of quality (such as picture and sound)... is there a preferable source? i heard eureka is reliable source... any comment on this?

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Dec 10, 2008 at 07:08 PM »
thanks bro... my concern is on integrity/quality...

btw, there are lot of torrents there available for 1 title... how do you choose, the best torrent that have the best mkv in terms of quality (such as picture and sound)... is there a preferable source? i heard eureka is reliable source... any comment on this?

Actually EuReKa is not a source but one of Bit-HDTV's internal encoding group.  You'll notice the encoding group tags at the end of every title (e.g. The.Dark.Knight.2008.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-ESiR.mkv ===> title.year.resolution.source.audio.codec-group.mkv).  There are lots of encoding groups out there.  The most popular are the scene groups (e.g. reveille, hv, septic, ctu, sinners, cinefile, etc).  These are underground groups which specialize in releasing encodes even before the retail bluray discs go on sale.  Wikipedia definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_(scene)  There is a competition among them on who releases first...so generally their encodes are not that good because they are often done in a hurry (e.g. improper aspect ratio, overcropping, loss of grain, etc.).  Most of the time the internal groups offer better quality.  ESiR, CtrlHD are hdbits internal.  EuReKa is part of bit-hdtv.  These three groups are in the top-tier in my opinion only. 

Also, for best picture quality, try to avoid titles with HDTV (copied from tv broadcast), Bluray capture (back in the days when BD+ was not yet cracked, they copy from the source via hdmi capture before encoding) and DTheater (VHS copy that provide HD resolution. Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTheater) tagged on their titles.  For codec, x264 is good for the size, VC-1 encodes are huge in size.  For audio, you may want to choose one with DTS which some argue to have better AQ than AC3/Dolby Digital.  If the audio in Bluray is lossless (TrueHD, DTS-HD), the encoders would transcode the audio to DTS lossy format or just include the core DTS ripped from DTS-HD audio in the encode. Movies with FLAC audio would be better but you can't play them in NMT and most receivers can't decode them.  For resolution (720p v. 1080p), it depends on your TV size, sitting distance and whether your eyes could see the difference. 

At the end of the day, a reencode is still a reencode.  Nothing beats the original in integrity, picture and sound quality.  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2008 at 07:20 PM by milken »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 09:37 AM »

Torrents 101

If you can get the biggest one and your rigs can handle it, get it.   For instance, kung mag-tyatyaga ka rin lang sa 11 GB na Dark Knight, might as well go for the 16GB version.   So personally, anything between 10GB - 17GB with video bitrate higher than 11MB/sec combined with DTS audio stream makes me drool.  My HDTV can display the difference in visual quality; my HT (including an HTIB) can output the aural difference as well.  Dunno about lossless Tru HD stuff though.

If not, the "smaller" encodes of ESIR, Eureka and CtrlHD have consistently high quality. (4GB-9GB).  And in most cases, they are very very considerate of those who cant live without subs -especially ESIR.   :)

Kung wala yung tatlo, whatever is available in 720p or 1080p will do.  Kung walang subs, just download the subtitle file separately and if necessary, change the subtitle synch manually through your player in order to match that of the video.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 10:10 AM »
Torrents 101

If you can get the biggest one and your rigs can handle it, get it.   For instance, kung mag-tyatyaga ka rin lang sa 11 GB na Dark Knight, might as well go for the 16GB version.   So personally, anything between 10GB - 17GB with video bitrate higher than 11MB/sec combined with DTS audio stream makes me drool.  My HDTV can display the difference in visual quality; my HT (including an HTIB) can output the aural difference as well.  Dunno about lossless Tru HD stuff though.

If not, the "smaller" encodes of ESIR, Eureka and CtrlHD have consistently high quality. (4GB-9GB).  And in most cases, they are very very considerate of those who cant live without subs -especially ESIR.   :)

Kung wala yung tatlo, whatever is available in 720p or 1080p will do.  Kung walang subs, just download the subtitle file separately and if necessary, change the subtitle synch manually through your player in order to match that of the video.

thanks bro... another info earned - 11mb/sec video bitrate :) kaso some of torrents walang description or indication of files video bitrate
anyways, if meron its a bonus :)
interms of audio naman... iprefer dts din :)
i already have several encodes from ESIR and Eureka... next time i'll check CtrlHD
ty uli bro :)

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 10:44 AM »
RELEASE.NAME..: The.Dark.Knight.2008.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-ESiR         
 █   RELEASE.DATE..: 26.11.2008                                               
 █   THEATRE.DATE..: 14.06.2008                                               
 █   RUNTiME.......: 2:32:13                                                 
 █   SiZE..........: 13.9 GB                                               
 █   ViDEO.CODEC...: x264                                                     
 █   FRAMERATE.....: 23.976                                                   
 █   BiTRATE.......: 11580 kbps                                           
 █   RESOLUTiON....: 1920x1080                                               
 █   AUDiO1........: English DTS 5.1 1.5 mbit                               
 █   SUBTiTLES.....: Eng,Ro,Fre,Spa,Por,Ger,Dut,Swe,Fin,Nor,Dan,Hun - ASS     
 █   SOURCE........: The Dark Knight Blu-Ray 1080p VC1 TrueHD 5.1       

Sample of my  ESiR File release. :o     
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2008 at 10:46 AM by demmet »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 10:54 AM »
thanks bro... another info earned - 11mb/sec video bitrate :) kaso some of torrents walang description or indication of files video bitrate

If no technical info is provided, "big" files associated with the top tier groups are usually reliable...the recent ones especially are "too OK" in my opinion...too OK.    :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM »
Curious lang.  About the encoding groups and even the scenes groups - what do they get out of it?  Do they have sponsors or any compensation for what they're doing?  or ...wala lang? ..masaya lang? 

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 04:48 PM »
RELEASE.NAME..: The.Dark.Knight.2008.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-ESiR         
 █   RELEASE.DATE..: 26.11.2008                                               
 █   THEATRE.DATE..: 14.06.2008                                               
 █   RUNTiME.......: 2:32:13                                                 
 █   SiZE..........: 13.9 GB                                               
 █   ViDEO.CODEC...: x264                                                     
 █   FRAMERATE.....: 23.976                                                   
 █   BiTRATE.......: 11580 kbps                                           
 █   RESOLUTiON....: 1920x1080                                               
 █   AUDiO1........: English DTS 5.1 1.5 mbit                               
 █   SUBTiTLES.....: Eng,Ro,Fre,Spa,Por,Ger,Dut,Swe,Fin,Nor,Dan,Hun - ASS     
 █   SOURCE........: The Dark Knight Blu-Ray 1080p VC1 TrueHD 5.1       

Sample of my  ESiR File release. :o     

uy nice one ser... hindi ko na naantay tong dts release from ESiR :)

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 05:05 PM »
I'd like to add. If you see the word "REMUX" in the title of the torrent, it means that no compression was made on the video and audio file.  What they do is they strip away all the unnecessary add-ons: special features and multiple language audios of the Bluray or HDDVD and mux them in a mkv file container, sometimes maintaining the lossless audio like TrueHD and DTS-HD.  The file size is quite big, depending on the file in the original disc, around 20-30gb.  The reason for getting the full disc is the special features (like documentary on the making of Dark Knight).  By the way, high bitrates do not automatically mean they're transparent to the source.  Comparison shots are good gauge to see if the encode is good. EuReKa often posts comparison shots of their encode and source. 

Curious lang.  About the encoding groups and even the scenes groups - what do they get out of it?  Do they have sponsors or any compensation for what they're doing?  or ...wala lang? ..masaya lang? 

Among scene groups, their motivation is competition among themselves on which one is the best group, i.e. the first to release wins.  Under their rules, there can be only one scene release for movie, music or apps. The only time the other groups can release the same title is when there is something wrong with the first release, hence they tagged it "PROPER" and explain it in nfo file.  The scene distributes among themselves but people 'steal' their releases and upload them to torrent sites "without their consent". Kaya meron ding awayan among scene groups and bittorrents sites for unauthorized distribution. hehehe  :D

Sa mga internal groups from hdbits, bit-hdtv, hdcorea, hdchina, hd-bits.ro, etc., it's more community-based parang organization.  Members of the community band together and release titles under their group name for the benefit of the rest of the community only (although you can see their releases spread out even to public torrent sites "without their consent").  As in any community, their motivation is competition too / ego tripping on which group is the best. There's bickering too inside the community.  They compare shots of their releases with those of the scene's and other groups.  As far as I know sa internal groups, they're doing it for free for the members...just like programmers who hack Microsoft, government websites, Apple iPhone to show off their skills.  Kasiyahan lang.  :D
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM by milken »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 05:19 PM »
If no technical info is provided, "big" files associated with the top tier groups are usually reliable...the recent ones especially are "too OK" in my opinion...too OK.    :)

same here bro... usually after searching i sort results by file size then by date added :)

hmm... while im posting... i saw milken's post... mukhang kasiyahan lang :)

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 05:27 PM »
I'd like to add. If you see the word "REMUX" in the title of the torrent, it means that no compression was made on the video and audio file.  What they do is they strip away all the unnecessary add-ons: special features and multiple language audios of the Bluray or HDDVD and mux them in a mkv file container, sometimes maintaining the lossless audio like TrueHD and DTS-HD.  The file size is quite big, depending on the file in the original disc, around 20-30gb, but you save on unnecessary files found in the disc backup.  I have the full bluray of Dark Knight (~40gb+).  The reason for getting the full disc is the special features (like documentary on the making of Dark Knight) but if you don't care for them, a remux or x264 reencode will do...especially for movies that don't deserve a second viewing.  Newer x264 encodes are getting more and more transparent to the source. There is a difference with the original but you can hardly notice it unless you have a big screen, decent HT gears, and golden eye/ears.  By the way, high bitrates do not automatically mean they're transparent to the source.  Comparison shots are good gauge to see if the encode is good. EuReKa often posts comparison shots of their encode and source. 

Among scene groups, their motivation is competition among themselves on which one is the best group, i.e. the first to release wins.  Under their rules, there can be only one scene release for movie, music or apps. The only time the other groups can release the same title is when there is something wrong with the first release, hence they tagged it "PROPER" and explain it in nfo file.  The scene distributes among themselves but people 'steal' their releases and upload them to torrent sites "without their consent". Kaya meron ding awayan among scene groups and bittorrents sites for unauthorized distribution. hehehe  :D

Sa mga internal groups like hdbits, bit-hdtv, hdcorea, hdchina, hd-bits.ro, etc., it's more community-based parang organization.  Members of the community band together and release titles under their group name for the benefit of the rest of the community only (although you can see their releases spread out even to public torrent sites "without their consent").  As in any community, their motivation is competition too / ego tripping on which group is the best. There's bickering too inside the community.  They compare shots of their releases with those of the scene's and other groups.  As far as I know sa internal groups, they're doing it for free for the members...just like programmers who hack Microsoft, government websites, Apple iphone to show off their skills.  Kasiyahan lang.  :D

nice research there bro milken, now i know... scene groups pala tawag sa kanila :)
having that good competition among groups... it will benefit distribution of high quality files :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 05:46 PM »
Well salamat sa kasiyahan nilang enthusiasts/techies/engineers/hobbyists because ako'y isa sa lubos na napapasaya rin.  Merry Xmas sa kanilang lahat and more power to them talaga!   :)

Those comparison screen shots - pampasakit lang ng ulo ng middle-aged persons yun.   ;D   Kung pangit ang source, pangit din ang encode.  Kung maganda ang source, "karaniwan" maganda rin ang encode.  Kung di maganda ang encode for whatever reason - redownload.  Kahit maganda na encode and merong lumabas na "potentially" mas maganda at mukhang "BD-killer", redownload ulit.    ;D

Pero at the end of the day, I still enjoyed watching The X-Factor in avi a lot more than spending 2 hours with 1080p and clean Army of Darkness or Sunshine or Sublime or The Happening.    ;D   

No amount of high definition video and audio can save bad movies or contents.

Offline thesaint

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 06:07 PM »
Maraming napapasaya talaga yung mga groups nayan...
Pero meron din iba dyan na naghihimutok sa galit!!!
Katulad ni ?????....hehehehe....secret!!!
joke joke joke...

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 06:09 PM »
Well salamat sa kasiyahan nilang enthusiasts/techies/engineers/hobbyists because ako'y isa sa lubos na napapasaya rin.  Merry Xmas sa kanilang lahat and more power to them talaga!   :)

Those comparison screen shots - pampasakit lang ng ulo ng middle-aged persons yun.   ;D   Kung pangit ang source, pangit din ang encode.  Kung maganda ang source, "karaniwan" maganda rin ang encode.  Kung di maganda ang encode for whatever reason - redownload.  Kahit maganda na encode and merong lumabas na "potentially" mas maganda at mukhang "BD-killer", redownload ulit.    ;D

Pero at the end of the day, I still enjoyed watching The X-Factor in avi a lot more than spending 2 hours with 1080p and clean Army of Darkness or Sunshine or Sublime or The Happening.    ;D   

No amount of high definition video and audio can save bad movies or contents.

dude, what r comparison screen shots? did you find it sa torrent sites?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 06:11 PM »
dude, what r comparison screen shots? did you find it sa torrent sites?

Yes...but not in public sites I think.

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 06:25 PM »
nice research there bro milken, now i know... scene groups pala tawag sa kanila :)
having that good competition among groups... it will benefit distribution of high quality files :)

I've been torrenting for quite sometime na rin and fascinated with these groups.  I read forums to help me understand them better. 

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 07:49 AM »
bro milken, i hope you could share with me the friendly forum sites re these groups?
i tried to search but i can't find the forum for newbies in torrents... unfortunately sites i found seems for the technical geeks :D
tia

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 08:43 AM »
filesharingtalk.com is a good place to start.  It's a very informative site and good place to research. hehehe.  You have to sign up and wait 30 days though if you want to access their "secret" section. 
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2008 at 08:52 AM by milken »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 09:22 AM »
just read this bro milken. thanks :)

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 09:54 AM »

What do you mean "scenes groups"? encoders from sceneHD who love rar files?

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 11:12 AM »
What do you mean "scenes groups"? encoders from sceneHD who love rar files?

Here's the definition I posted earlier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_(scene)  They are actually a community of hackers.  They share via private and exclusive FTP.  You need to offer something in return to gain access. 

Scenehd is a private torrent site which specializes in sharing scene releases (always in rar files) but they are not part of Scene per se.  Usually someone who has access to the Scene, download files from them then upload them to bittorrent sites (private like scenehd or public like demonoid) or file hosting sites (like rapidshare) without their permission.  Scene is distinguished from peer-to-peer groups, which are from private communities such as hdbits, bithdtv, hd-bits, etc., who share files among themselves but somehow their releases get uploaded to public sites or file hosting sites. most of the time without their permission. So, it's basically pirates "stealing" from other pirates.  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2008 at 11:14 AM by milken »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Dec 15, 2008 at 08:10 AM »
I just got my latest electric bill and my PCs have been busiest during the last month than ever (practically 24/7 including peripherals).  To my surprise, no effect on electric bill.  My consumption in terms of kWH last year during the same period was even higher.  1 high powered desktop connected to HDTV , 1 high powered laptop to 22-inch aperture grille CRT, 1 regular powered laptop, 7 external drives.

If you really want to save on electricity, dont use aircon and control the settings of your fridge appropriately.    Dont worry too much about your plasma or LCD or HTPC.   :)
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2008 at 08:11 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Dec 19, 2008 at 07:30 PM »
uy nice one ser... hindi ko na naantay tong dts release from ESiR :)

Heres another one...

E u R e K A
-----------

General Info
------------
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059786/
Length: 117 minutes

Technical Specs
---------------
Container...........: Matroska
Video Encoder.......: x264
Video Aspect Ratio..: 2.40:1 (1920x800)
Audio Codec.........: DTS (English)
Audio BitRate.......: 1536 kbit/sec
Audio Channels......: 5.1 channels
Subtitles...........: English
Source..............: Blu-Ray
File Size...........: 17.4 GB (avg bitrate of 18.8 Mbit)
DXVA compliant......: Yes

E u R e K A seems to be good also. ;D