Author Topic: Direct-to-DVD movie releases  (Read 1874 times)

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Direct-to-DVD movie releases
« on: Dec 30, 2002 at 04:20 AM »
Inspired by viper's query in another thread...

Is there a movie already produced and released direct to DVD? (Disney cartoons not included)

...let's start here a list of movies released directly on DVDs instead of going the usual route of being shown in theaters first.

Feel free to add to this list if you know of other titles. :)

"Joseph: King of Dreams" is a direct-to-DVD (and home video) release of the latest animated movie from the filmmakers of "The Prince of Egypt" (1998).  This full-length animated feature spent nearly three years in production, and is loosely based on the biblical story of Joseph from the book of Genesis.  DreamWorks claims that while "artistic and historical license has been taken", they believe that "the film is true to the essence, values, and integrity of a story that is cherished by millions of people worldwide".  
--www.timefordvd.com

Direct-to-DVD. Don't laugh, as its predecessor was direct-to-video, then went into theatres, then was re-released on video. Tells the story of the coming of the Anti-Christ from a decidedly Evangelical viewpoint. WOrth checking out if you want to see how far some actors can go down the spiral.
--www.chud.com

For a direct-to-dvd "B"-type movie, this was a pretty decent movie. Some of the cast might even have a future... The basic premise of the movie is that a high school (where students have a way of disappearing) is in fact a portal to hell, or something like that...Most of the young cast is pretty decent, although I think plot is somewhat unimportant to this movie, which at times borders on a soft-core homoerotic flick. Not that that's a bad thing...Corey Haim fans, rejoice, the lead actor bears a more than slight resemblance to the 80's bad-boy. Overall, I think it's worth a watch...You might even end up buying it...as I plan to...
-- Customer Review at www.amazon.com

The first direct-to-DVD anime, Tenamonya Voyagerscontinues the outrageous-girls-in-space tradition of such popular properties as "Sol Bianca." Newly certified teacher Ayako can only find a job on the distant planet of Meldonia, at the school where a girl called Wakana has been given an athletic scholarship.
--Editorial Review at www.amazon.com

If you just can't wait for The Blair Witch Project 2, maybe you can tide yourself with one of the most shameless knockoffs ever released, The St. Francisville Experiment. Shot entirely handheld and concerning a group of filmmakers who seek out a legend in a haunted house but mysteriously disappear (sound familiar?) this 77-minute opus mostly bypassed the theaters and now arrives direct-to-DVD from Trimark. Actually, that is way after Blair Witch 2, so I guess by the time this arrives, will anyone care? In any case, the disc looks feature filled, because in addition to a full frame transfer and 2.0 surround track, extras include an audio commentary with the "filmmakers," some deleted footage, a behind-the-scenes featurette, and the trailer
--www.dvdfile.com

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2002 at 04:47 AM by ßa®tmaniac »

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
Re:Direct-to-DVD movie releases
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2002 at 05:13 AM »
In the US, there's a lot of movie releases that are direct to video. Just check circuit city, dvd planet sites etc. and you will find out a lot of titles you never heard of.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2002 at 05:17 AM »
In the US, there's a lot of movie releases that are direct to video. Just check circuit city, dvd planet sites etc. and you will find out a lot of titles you never heard of.

I noticed, barrid.  That's why I stopped na upon reaching five titles.  Nawalan ako ng gana mag-lista nung nalaman kong ang dami pala. ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2002 at 08:26 AM »
I think this is particularly common for inferior sequels to movies that were small hits (but not blockbusters) or have cult followings.

Like Cruel Intentions 2, The Skulls II, and American Psycho 2.

What's funny is the SAME GUY appears in all those three movies!  :)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2003 at 07:01 AM »
Was the film Equillibrium a direct to Movie DVD???

I beleive it was shown in theatres here in Phil however I cannot recall ever showing it at US soil in theatres??
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Movie_Geek_Tom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • "Heres looking at you,kid."
  • Liked:
Re: Direct-to-DVD movie releases
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2006 at 10:06 PM »
Dr.Dolittle 3
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 Plasma 3D
McIntosh MC-2102 Amp