Author Topic: Blue-ray: better than VCD and DVD- Phil. Inquirer page H3, Dec. 8, 2008  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
I saw this article today and there are so many misinformations and kalokohan IMO. Thats why I really hate Sony, for their desperation (spin master talaga) ;D ;D Even the spelling is WRONG, tsk tsk tsk (Inquirer should have checked properly)...Here is the entire article, The ones in bold are the ones I think are all KALOKOHAN.. Opinion ko lang ;D I don't have the figures anyway

WATCHING FILMS ON DVD may soon be passe with the arrival of Blue-ray Disc.
     According to the optical disc format's main proponent, Sony, the high-definition (HD) viewing experience that Blue-ray provides will attract a large number of living rooms in the country in about two years - gaining a considerable foothold against VCD and DVD.
     Blue-ray was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association, an industry consortium composed of nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Mat-sus**ta, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG electronics, Hitachi, Sharp and Samsung.

50 gigabyte memory

The name Blu-ray is derived from the blue laser used to read and write this type of disc. A two-layer Blu-ray Disc can store 50 gigabytes, almost six times the capacity of a two-layer DVD, or ten and a half times that of a single-layer DVD
     Currently there are more than 1,000 Blu-ray Disc titles released in the United States.
     "Blu-ray has achieved tremendous growth in Asia and the Philippines," said Tim Meade, Vice-president for Licensing at Sony Pictures Asia Pacific. "I think it's going to be a couple of more years before it penetrates the mass market. But there's such a great opportunity for this new technology"
     Sales of Blu-ray titles in the country have been on an upswing, thanks to both an upsurge in HD home entertainment systems and the penetration of Sony Playstation 3 - which can alternate as a Blu Ray player- in an increasing number of Philippine households.

Theater-like ambience

A Filipino film on Blu-ray is also not farfetched, as regional authoring services are available for local producers to tap.
     Blu Ray offers theater-like audio and video for high-definition home entertainment systems.
     "It gives you the best picture quality, sound quality and uncompressed audio, so you could feel the room shake," said Meade. "It's really the closest thing to the theatrical viewing experience. Everyone who loves going to the movies enjoy the visual and audio sensation in the theater. This is what Blue-ray is all about."
     In the Philippines, the best selling blu-ray titles are action films, which "maximize the format" These include "Hancock", "Kung fu hustle" and the "Spiderman trilogy"
     Soon to be released are Blu-ray versions of "Crouching tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Terminator 3"

Hay naku mga wrong spelling sa blue-ray :D :D tsk tsk tsk and the ones in bold are the ones I go huh??? ???..Do we have magnavision figures on the Sony blu-ray titles? It's on an upswing daw ah..or Sony square figures??? If this is true why is Warner Philippines holding out?        Uncompressed audio pala can make a room shake ???..Hay naku Sony Sony Sony..I may be wrong with my opinion so I wanna see SALES FIGURES from Magna and Sony :D :D ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008 at 01:37 PM by Moks007 »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nakakatuwa naman, pinoproblema pa pala nila ang VCD hanggang ngayon :D.

Do we have magnavision figures on the Sony blu-ray titles? It's on an upswing daw ah..or Sony square figures???

Napakadali sigurong bilangin niyan.  Nahihiya lang sigurong sabihin kung ilan na nga ba ang discs sold.    :D
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008 at 02:37 PM by barrister »

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
Sir, I think sinama nila yung mga pirated copies na nakalagay na rin ngayon sa blu-ray casing kaya upswing na yung sales sa Philippines  ;D ;D
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Ang alam ko yung "Blue-ray" ang hit dito sa Pinas hindi yung Blu-ray  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
haha or the dude checks this site and reads the "What's your latest hddvd/blu-ray purchase" thread and counted all those purchases as "Philippine purchases" ;D :D.. Hoy mister mostly amazon yun ;D..They don't even have an official ps3 launch here tsk tsk tsk..

Combined bd sales magna and sony square so far :D ;D..Pls don't take my figures seriously :D ;D
2006      balut
2007      10
2008      25

hahaha..ya upswing yan

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
why blame Sony? blame the reporter, hell even I can make a better news story than this "reporter"  ;D

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
Who's the reporter? And is there a comment function on the PDI site?

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
why blame Sony? blame the reporter, hell even I can make a better news story than this "reporter"  ;D

Why blame Sony? Check out what Tim Meade said. He is the vice-president for Licensing at Sony pictures asia pacific

He said "Blu-ray has achieved tremendous growth in Asia and the Philippines"

Tremendous growth to me are "significant" words. He also mentioned the Philippines right? If he said asia lang I will understand diba? We know Sony is using PR to get people to get into blu-ray (what do you expect) part of marketing yan, that it is safe na to buy in. What are his basis? Ps3's are not "officially" launched here. Where does he get his blu-ray standalones and ps3 figures? From abenson, automatic center, Sony center where s350 is being sold for around 40,000 pesos ata? Or from EYO, tipidpc and other shops in virramall. Where does he get figures for his software sales(in the Phils) to say this. I just think it is Sony "spin master" doing all this "air"  :D ;D

I could be wrong but this is my own opinion and analysis, until you have like Nielsens, Home media magazine like figures on week by week software sales and hardware sales. This is all "air" :D :D ::)

If bd is taking off,  on an upswing and tremendous growth here in the Philippines, we should already be seeing LOTS of titles selling at Astro, not in Infomaxx, where by the way I see titles there gathering dust ata ;D ;D  If there is growth, there should be demand by this time. It's been a year.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:

Its Gerry Plaza, contributor. I typed the whole article ;D, got tired nga eh. ;D I did not scan or check the inquirer site for this.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Why blame Sony? Check out what Tim Meade said. He is the vice-president for Licensing at Sony pictures asia pacific

Tremendous growth to me are "significant" words. He also mentioned the Philippines right? If he said asia lang I will understand diba? We know Sony is using PR to get people to get into blu-ray (what do you expect) part of marketing yan, that it is safe na to buy in. What are his basis? Ps3's are not "officially" launched here. Where does he get his blu-ray standalones and ps3 figures? From abenson, automatic center, Sony center where s350 is being sold for around 40,000 pesos ata? Or from EYO, tipidpc and other shops in virramall. Where does he get figures for his software sales(in the Phils) to say this. I just think it is Sony "spin master" doing all this "air"  :D ;D

I could be wrong but this is my own opinion and analysis, until you have like Nielsens, Home media magazine like figures on week by week software sales and hardware sales. This is all "air" :D :D ::)

If bd is taking off,  on an upswing and tremendous growth here in the Philippines, we should already be seeing LOTS of titles selling at Astro, not in Infomaxx, where by the way I see titles there gathering dust ata ;D ;D  If there is growth, there should be demand by this time. It's been a year.

Korek!  :D

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Its Gerry Plaza, contributor. I typed the whole article ;D, got tired nga eh. ;D I did not scan or check the inquirer site for this.

Kung sa presscon 'yan dito, mabubugbog si Meade sa tanong ng mga Pinoy tech reporters and columnists. Sa akin pa lang siguro unahan na lang sa pag-bato  ;D ;D ;D

Offline devlin_waugh

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76

here's the online version:

Blu-ray: better than VCD and DVD the webpage has a standard comment function for factual errors and for reporting journalistic ethical breaches.

The author, Gerry Plaza, is a contributor to the Showbiz section (where the article also appeared), and writes mostly about Cristy Fermin and Lolit Solis' travails...so naturally he'd be clueless about the stuff being discussed here

Although it does not excuse him from doing an article that doesn't have credible and verifiable sources for his data and sales figures...

Offline jimmylr

• Collector
  • Liked:
grabe comedy talaga ang dating ng article na to!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
The author, Gerry Plaza, is a contributor to the Showbiz section (where the article also appeared), and writes mostly about Cristy Fermin and Lolit Solis' travails...

It strains the imagination to believe that the article was payola-free.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
here's the online version:

Blu-ray: better than VCD and DVD the webpage has a standard comment function for factual errors and for reporting journalistic ethical breaches.

The author, Gerry Plaza, is a contributor to the Showbiz section (where the article also appeared), and writes mostly about Cristy Fermin and Lolit Solis' travails...so naturally he'd be clueless about the stuff being discussed here

Although it does not excuse him from doing an article that doesn't have credible and verifiable sources for his data and sales figures...

baka sya mismo hindi pa nakakita ng bluray disc!  :o

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

It strains the imagination to believe that the article was payola-free.

It's 100% sure the writer was given a "free" lunch. Or given some sort of token. Doesn't PDI have rules about under the table dealings with their writers?

ETA: They do have rules, but only for regular staff pala  ;D Seeing as he's just a contributor, they may just let it slide. Pretty stupid to have a showbiz writer do tech work, though.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2008 at 01:54 AM by Dan »

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Ethics ethics...

Question will always be... Whats in it for me?

Blue Ray? san ka pa?  :D

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
oh noes, Blue-Ray vs Blu-Ray in 2009

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Hay naku! It's so sad! This reporter does not know what he/she is talking about...he/she is in desperate need of a story if you ask me... ::)

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
hahahaha.

Who contacted PDI and reported the errors this contributor made?  Come on. Who?

The article is now with "Blu-ray" from Blue-ray.  lol

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30

haha or the dude checks this site and reads the "What's your latest hddvd/blu-ray purchase" thread and counted all those purchases as "Philippine purchases" ;D :D.. Hoy mister mostly amazon yun ;D..They don't even have an official ps3 launch here tsk tsk tsk..

Combined bd sales magna and sony square so far :D ;D..Pls don't take my figures seriously :D ;D
2006      balut
2007      10
2008      25

hahaha..ya upswing yan

;D ;D ;D nag compute siguro yung writer and nung nakita na double digit % growth ayun sinulat na tremendous  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2008 at 01:57 PM by vtec3 »

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
baka dapat ang term ay three-mendous growth.

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
showbiz section? really? since when is anything on the showbiz section of any newspaper regarded as fact?  ::)

the whole article lost all its credibility just for being in that section.

as for Sony being a "spin master," of course they'll spin it. they're selling a product. they need to make it sound fanstasmagorical.

I wouldn't blame Sony for spreading exaggerated news, hell, it's EXPECTED for a company to sing praises of a product their selling. I blame the author and the editors for not doing enough research and fact checking.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2008 at 03:34 PM by animated »