Author Topic: How To Check The Region On A DVD.....  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Guardianlion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How To Check The Region On A DVD.....
« on: Dec 13, 2008 at 12:55 AM »
I know that you have to look for the globe on the back and it will have a number in it and that's the region. However what happens if you can't find the globe, then what? I was in a video/music store in SM Makati it was the same floor as Toy Kingdom, I was looking at some TV shows on DVD but I couldn't find the globe. The sales people had no idea what region any of their DVDs were, so I just left. So how can I tell if theres no globe? Or if there no globe is it fake??

Offline ddrare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: How To Check The Region On A DVD.....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 02:56 AM »
Hmm..as far as I know, shops here only sell region 3 and some original DVDs don't have the globe icon.
ITULOY ANG LIGAYA: eheadslive.multiply.com

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 04:09 AM »
I know that you have to look for the globe on the back and it will have a number in it and that's the region. However what happens if you can't find the globe, then what? I was in a video/music store in SM Makati it was the same floor as Toy Kingdom, I was looking at some TV shows on DVD but I couldn't find the globe. The sales people had no idea what region any of their DVDs were, so I just left. So how can I tell if theres no globe? Or if there no globe is it fake??

Stores like Astrovision, Astroplus, Music One or Odyssey records will never sell fake or bootleg DVDs... yet  ;D Seriously, these stores are reliable.

As far as the region goes, whether or not a DVD has the globe icon it almost always is region "3". Or region "ALL". Some concert DVDs are region ALL while most movie DVDs are region 3.

There are some DVDs that don't have the globe icon at all. But if you're buying from any Astrovision or Astroplus store, rest assured that DVD is 100 percent original.

From what I can tell, that was an Astro store you went to at SM Makati. All of those DVDs are either region 3 or ALL. They're also original DVDs. There are rare cases where you'll find a region "1" or "2" DVD. But in most of these cases, you'll see the region code icon indicating it so at the back cover.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
...There are rare cases where you'll find a region "1" or "2" DVD. But in most of these cases, you'll see the region code icon indicating it so at the back cover.

...such as the original release of the 2 disc lotr titles by c-interactive way back in 2002 onwards, or select disney titles like lion king, freaky friday, et al. i even saw a copy of the  lotr-ttt extended ed. on sale in astro megamall at one time.  nowadays, wala ka nang makikitang r1 release na available sa mga stores na to...

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 11:47 AM »
...such as the original release of the 2 disc lotr titles by c-interactive way back in 2002 onwards, or select disney titles like lion king, freaky friday, et al. i even saw a copy of the  lotr-ttt extended ed. on sale in astro megamall at one time.  nowadays, wala ka nang makikitang r1 release na available sa mga stores na to...

The 2-disc release for Dirty Dancing says it is Region 1, but it's actually Region 3.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM »
If the TV Series you are looking at is from Magnavision (Sony, Paramount, Universal), chances are it's All Region (Region 0) if it's locally pressed (see thread on whether disc is DVD 5 or DVD9).

If it's from Warner (WB, HBO) or Viva (ABC, Disney, Fox), they are Region 3 locked. 

Imported TV Series from Magnavision are also Region 3 locked, but Magnavision releases very few (if any) imported TV series these days...

As said Region 1 discs from local retailers are rare, unless the store you are saying, deals with Imports and is a store that caters to high-end home theater crowd...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 12:29 PM »
One more thing, I think the distributors are not allowed to sell R1 by their mother companies that is why even those discs that have Region 1 or 2 (like American Gangster Steelbook) markings have R3 discs inside...

There are exceptions, but rare...  If it happens you'd probably read it here on this forum...unless you are the first to buy/notice. :)
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.