Author Topic: Explaining the DVD collection hobby  (Read 16155 times)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: Explaining the DVD collection hobby
« Reply #90 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 10:00 PM »
Aren't  most of us like that?   Watch the theatrical run, then get the DVD if we or our loved ones like the movie.  It's rarely this or that.  More often, both.  I don't really see much pont explaining this hobby.  Why explain away an incurable illness?    ;D 

Yup, I also watch theatrical run especially if movies are for kids, can't seem to say no to them (of course gusto ko din yung movie that they like  ;D )   But now movies which are not rated GP I normally wait na lang the DVD release since they come out pretty fast naman  ;)

As for the incurable illness, I guess malapit na ako sa terminal stage that if there is a DVD doctor I need to see one  ;D

Everytime I purchase a DVD, I tell myself gift ko sa sarili ko ito  ;D

Offline workshy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • "the seeds of what we'll do are in all of us."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Nov 13, 2005 at 09:00 PM »
Aside from the satisfaction of watching your DVD collection grow , the joy of DVD collection is multiplied by the excitement that goes with the Hunt for the title you want and when your search ends it's like hitting goldmine...and then its on to the next elusive title .
good thing prices have dropped so there's no end in sight for this hobby  ;D

Offline Pilosopo

• Apprentice
  • I watch, therefore I exist.
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Nov 16, 2005 at 03:21 PM »

Since most of the films that I buy are "art films"--or films that may have at least attained an arguable level of artistry--I would normally tell these people that my DVDs compose my personal art collection.   :)

Offline Chivalry

• Collector
  • Chivalry is not dead!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Nov 25, 2005 at 11:17 AM »
Aside from the satisfaction of watching your DVD collection grow , the joy of DVD collection is multiplied by the excitement that goes with the Hunt for the title you want and when your search ends it's like hitting goldmine...and then its on to the next elusive title .
good thing prices have dropped so there's no end in sight for this hobby  ;D

True!!! the thrill of completing a "quest" somehow justifies the time and expenses (gasoline, parking, snacks etc) incurred while hunting down a 299php dvd. 

i suppose every dvd addict's dream job is to be a Video Shop Merchandiser  ;D  all "rounds" will be on company expense...
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2005 at 11:37 AM by Chivalry »
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Offline stannum

• Collector
  • Huh? Me, a collector?
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Nov 25, 2005 at 11:31 AM »
True!!! the thrill of completing a "quest" somehow justifies the time and expenses (gasoline, parking, snacks etc) while hunting down a 299php dvd.

I agree 100%. It's a bit difficult though to explain to one's spouse/mom/dad/kids what's so important about a 299 title that you have to visit every single video shop in the area ... I get weird looks from them when I start combing the shelves (sabay nagbubulungan pa sila kung ano ba talaga nangyari sa akin ;D )
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2005 at 11:32 AM by stannum »
Je ne regrette rien.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #95 on: Nov 27, 2005 at 10:12 PM »
the thing is, my wife doesnt get mad when i buy dvds.  i just get these "sighs" of her that dont really sound normal and alam ko na kung ano yun.  The problem with me is that i'd rather get the r1 versions rather than the r3 version so you'd know that it will cost much more.  More often than not, my credit card gets maxed out because of this and whenever she sees the SA, i get another round of those "sighs".  so the thing i do, i dont show her my purchases right away.  kita na lang niya pag andyan na at pinapanood ko na. hehehe.  yun nga lang it's hell dahil ang hirap panoorin. since she's also working,  i got to get off work early so i can watch before she gets home or else, another round na naman of those "sighs".  sama ko no?

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #96 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 02:38 PM »
Maybe it's just the smell of the new DVD that is addicting....

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 03:08 PM »
Maybe it's just the smell of the new DVD that is addicting....

Yeah, totally agree. It's like you are smelling a brewed coffee when you open a new dvd especially if its R1.  :D

Offline nixenzo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • D'oh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Dec 07, 2005 at 10:48 PM »
Yeah, totally agree. It's like you are smelling a brewed coffee when you open a new dvd especially if its R1. :D

Call me crazy, but boxsets smell better! LOL! ;D

Wait...Did I just said that? :-[
Librarian

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 07:18 AM »
dvds are a lot cheaper,specially whenyou use it again and again and it can also be rewatched by the future generations, and for the guests, even extended ones not mere transients

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 01:43 PM »
Bihira lang ako bumili ng DVD. Puro VCD pag hindi "special" sa akin yung movie. So pag bumili ako ng DVD, gusto ko talaga yung palabas kaya sulit siya para sa akin.

1 lang ang sagot ko pag tinanong ako ng "Bakit di pirated?": "Ayoko ng pirated." ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Mar 27, 2006 at 03:22 PM »
There's another reason to get DVDs.  The emergence of IPOD video and those Archos and Creative Zen Vision mobile gadgets require you to convert to MPEG4 from a GOOD SOURCE.  So far nothing beats a DVD as an MPEG4 source.

But these movie capable gadgets can be a disincentive to buy DVDs as well.  You just need to rent, then copy to MPEG4 on your PC to be downloaded to these devices.     

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM »
Fox, Sony...are now into this revolution.. only 2yrs ago you have this post and vison.. and now almost every new DVD out there (in R1) comes with "Digital Copy"

There's another reason to get DVDs.  The emergence of IPOD video and those Archos and Creative Zen Vision mobile gadgets require you to convert to MPEG4 from a GOOD SOURCE.  So far nothing beats a DVD as an MPEG4 source.

But these movie capable gadgets can be a disincentive to buy DVDs as well.  You just need to rent, then copy to MPEG4 on your PC to be downloaded to these devices.     

[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jun 18, 2008 at 07:06 PM »

Mas masahol pa nga ako eh.  Not only do I prefer original DVDs.  Dapat Region 1 pa.  It's not a colonial mentality thing.  I'm thinking long-term.  With our economic/political times now, I'm thinking portability.

Clever, but a bit deep to justify addiction to dvd collecting lol hehehehe
pero honestly, that's something i never thought about... naku lalo lang ako gagastos niyan pag puro R1 na lol
App-aholic!!!

Offline kraut

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • wink, wink .....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #104 on: Jul 03, 2008 at 04:18 PM »
gusto ko yung movie and i can watch it anytime...

it's a waste of money and space kung bibilhin ko yung di ko naman gustong genre(love story, drama and the likes) ...
I am he as you are me and we are all together !!!

Offline kristerocky

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I remember those cheers...
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 01:53 PM »
For some strange reason, once you're hooked to DVD collection, you tend to buy DVDs regardless of their prices. It's addictive. It's habit forming.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2008 at 01:56 PM by kristerocky »
...they still ring in my ears...

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #106 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 02:12 PM »
to me regardless of the movie basta DVD  ;D

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 02:41 PM »

I'm passionate about movies.

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Jul 04, 2008 at 03:12 PM »
For some strange reason, once you're hooked to DVD collection, you tend to buy DVDs regardless of their prices. It's addictive. It's habit forming.  ;D

i agree. :) i seem to forget what i said before i got addicted to this hobby -- "ang mahal naman nyan! di ako bibili pag ganyan presyo." or "it's not practical to spend that much money on dvd's"

now, i can't stop.  :o
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #109 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 08:01 PM »
I'd say it's more of an addiction rather than a hobby. "mas gusto ko yung nahihirapan akong makuha yung gusto ko" , this what gives me the challenge and excitement in what I am doing and to continue doing it. I had more difficult times in my CD collection, even travelling to Hong Kong (this was during my peak) just to get my titles. That is why when I started collecting DVD's recently, I started with the LE's, OOP's,Platinum's to give me the boost and challenge that I was looking for. The joy of having what you want and feeling it in your two hands after a month or so of waiting is priceless.

However, in the sudden drop of prices of locally available DVD's, it is beginning to turn into more of buying it because it's cheap rather than having it because it is really what you want.

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2008 at 08:15 PM by frootloops »

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #110 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 09:42 AM »
explaining the DVD collection hobby -

1) because there are a lot of good movies you want to own and enjoy, re-watch or simply know that you have a copy of this great movie.

2) physically you want to see the dvd cases and boxes accumulate and stocked up ;D

you may also want to

3) own the different types of packaging like steelbook ;D kahit mahal okay lang ;D collectors ed, limited ed!

and

4) watching movies you missed on theaters!

..and yes i guess it's also an 5) addiction very similar to the hobby's counter part which HT building  ;D

6) we dont support piracy!

ever since i joined this community (PDVD) i got influenced into spending a lot of money! and made me prioritize this addiction than saving :-\ ;D i dont even want to compute!

PDVD is one influence!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 01:19 PM »
The main reasons why I bought DVDs from Amazon.com

1.  Cost of moviehouse ticket in Tokyo is 1,800 yen per person.  5,400 yen for my dear wife, daughter and I.   That's $50 ticket palang.  But sometimes, they show movies in 4K Pure Cinema (like Harry Potter and Pirates 3).  Wala nang isipan yon kahit dalawang beses pa panoorin.    Sana yung TDK ganon din  ;D

2.  Japan is so strict in following the rules of Hollywood as regards keeping the mimimum number of months from local roadshow date before releasing DVD.    I think it is 6 months unless they've already changed that.  So kung hindi makahintay ng release sa rental shop, buy na agad sa Amazon.

3.  It's totally uninteresting watching comedy films in Japanese moviehouses because kami lang family ang tumatawa ng malakas.  Most everybody else is reading the Japanese subtitles which probably are nuanced or, American jokes are simple not funny to the Japanese.

4.  I bought DVDs because I bought a nice home theater set-up first.  Useless yung HT kung walang bagong contents to play.

5.  My favorite TV series are usually 2-3 seasons late sa Japanese TVs, 1 season late sa rental shops.   Hollywood is really making a lot of killing not only in Japanese moviehouses but also in syndication of old TV series.   

In other words, I bought DVDs mainly out of personal necessity.

The main reason why I dont buy DVDs anymore.

1.  I'm badly addicted to downloadable high def contents.   Nanginginig at talamak.  ;D ;D ;D   

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Jul 31, 2008 at 03:03 PM »
1)  Goes well with my HT setup.  Nice to watch / rewatch good movies in Hi Def.  Plus the special features that go with it are a fun to watch too.

2)  The thrill, the ultimate rush is in the FIND.  Better than watching is finding a favorite ( or rare ) title. On sale! 

3)  Para I can post in PDVD's "What's your latest DVD purchase?" then write a mini review in "Most Recently viewed DVD".

4)  And lastly, ala pa kasi ako blu ray player eh ....

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008 at 03:04 PM by mattia »

Offline straker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Nov 30, 2008 at 07:46 PM »
Folks, I'm slowly, but surely collecting DVDs, mostly either the fantasy, sci-fi, or war genre. Besides I have a home theater in the attic and I want that "theater feel."

I'm already getting this strange urge to get a blue ray player and buy BR discs.... my habit will only escalate.  :)

Offline NeoXorn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 09:21 PM »
I dunno. Sakit maybe, pero 'wag naman sana. Hehehe!  ;D

'di lang naman DVDs kinokolekta ko, eh; Comic Books, Toys, ETC... Kung ano-ano pa.

So, sakit nga.

Bwahahahahaha! ;D