Author Topic: NO Dolby Digital TrueHD from Yamaha RXV1800 and PS3 Combo  (Read 1138 times)

Offline ricochet315

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I just bought a PS3 80GB from the US.  Together with it, I bought a couple of BDs.  When I tried to play "I am legend" on which I chose as its audio output Dolby Digital TrueHD in the disc' set-up menu, my Yamaha RXV1800, equipped with TrueHD decoder, would only decode in Dolby Digital 5.1.  My speaker set is 7.1 and I am using an HDMI 1.3a cable to connect the two.

I tried to make adjustment on the Sound Menu of the PS3.  It lets you chose your connection, in this case I chose HDMI obviously, and set it to automatic output.  But when the audio output list is displayed, it doesn't include TrueHD.  Why is this so when I believe that The PS3 is capable of TrueHD output through HDMI?  The logos on the casing itself include TrueHD.  What could be wrong with my set-up?
Always Do The Harder Right And Not The Easier Wrong

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: NO Dolby Digital TrueHD from Yamaha RXV1800 and PS3 Combo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 06:39 PM »
It should show up as Multi-Channel PCM, MPCM or something like that on your receiver if setup correctly because the PS3 internally decodes lossless audio such as DD TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc.

DD TrueHD, DTS-HD MA will not show up when you use a PS3. It will only show up if you have a BD player which is capable of bitstreaming HD audio codecs via HDMI.

Hope this helps. :)

Offline ricochet315

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 01:19 AM »
Thanks blued888.  The only problem is you will not readily know what PCM signal the AV receiver is receiving since it just indicates PCM in the display.
Always Do The Harder Right And Not The Easier Wrong

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 01:52 AM »
Thanks blued888.  The only problem is you will not readily know what PCM signal the AV receiver is receiving since it just indicates PCM in the display.

ricochet315, you can use your PS3 remote to display the audio info on your tv screen. That will be the current signal receiving by your AV receiver.

If you really want to see the TrueHD or DTS-MA light up in your AVR display then you will have to get a BD player that is capable of outputting HD bitstream as explained by blued888.

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 08:05 AM »
Also had the same problem before where the receiver only showed Dolby Digital 5.1. I just had to configure the BD player to bitstream audio and let the receiver do the decoding.
SARS!!!