Author Topic: Atlantic Technologies...  (Read 4218 times)

Offline eyebags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Atlantic Technologies...
« on: Jan 03, 2003 at 03:26 PM »
I'm new to the home theater world (still saving up for my first system) and a friend of mine mentioned this brand of speakers.
Being the newbie that I am, I've only been exposed to the more popular brands (some of which turned out to be big disappointments after reading the reviews) and some brands that I've read about on this thread and in audio magazines.

What's your feedback about Atlantic Technologies?  Anyone?

Thanks and happy new year to all!

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Atlantic Technologies...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 04:38 PM »
Atlantic Technology is not a bad brand, as far as home theater is concerned. Medyo mahal lang ata kunti. Ti's an american brand actually. And you know the mainstream "american" sound: slightly forward and less warm character.

Before anything else, may I ask you: Are you into music (as in concert dvds) or more on movies (war, action type)?

Atlantic Technology speakers are usually driven by Yamaha receivers when you see them on demo(because the AT dealer is also a Yamaha dealer, that's why).

Offline eyebags

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 06:05 PM »
thanks for the quick reply, dude.

that's what my friend mentioned about the a.t.'s--expensive nga.
haven't heard them perform yet so i really don't have a solid opinion about them.

actually, as soon as i build up the system it' going to be used primarily for movies (you guessed right--war, action and the like) and my playstation.

later on, i've got plans to include concert dvd's to my collection but it will be a small percentage, basically just the bands i'm really, really into.

is it possible to strike a good compromise?

this is my first system so i'm looking at upgradeable yet decent separates.  my initial thoughts were to get a yamaha avr and pair it with energy or jbl surround sound speakers.  i'm on a pretty tight budget so second hand units are a consideration.  if i could get them on terms, even better.

any comments or suggestions?

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2003 at 12:55 PM »
If it's to be used primarily for movies, you can opt for a much cheaper system (cheaper than the AT, Energy). Off the bat I could recommend this combo:
Fronts: Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 (floorstanders)
Center: Wharfedale Diamond 8C
Rears: Wharfedale Diamond 8.1
All of these five speaker units costs PhP15K flat at any Ambassador Appliances store (Makati Gold Crest/Glorietta), and another one in EDSA Shangrila.
Add a Dynaquest DQ12 subwoofer (P6.2K) and we're all set for a pop corn and booze my man!
Yamaha receiver is perfect to view your "Saving Private Ryan" DVD. Next stop... U-571.

Last word: don't forget to invite me over.  ;D

P.S.
Btw, if you want to get an idea how an AT system sounds, drop by Listening In Style (EDSA Shangrila) or Listening Room (Megamall). They carry AT speaker and Yamaha receiver.

Offline Alamat

• Collector
  • ETONG IYO!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 03:17 AM »
  Atlantic Tech speakers are held in high regard in HT. OK ang mga reviews. I personally have had a couple of sets from them. My first HT came with an AT Compact Theater 2 and it still serves a friend of mine who bought them from me when I "upgraded". He also has my Yammy 995. Customer service was equally good as I had to send 2 of my speakers for repair. (Kasi tinodo ng idiot  ;) while watching the opening scene of Gladiator) . Of course hindi ko sinabi yun...
  At present, I have the AT 350 THX, twin subs at a 7.1 set-up. It  is driven by a Denon 3802. I didn't believe there would be a difference in the sound but u can actually hear it. Ngayon, I only upgraded kasi we had to move at tsaka I got the 350s pre-owned at half the price brand new.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2003 at 11:19 AM by Alamat »

Offline eyebags

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 08:58 AM »
thanks for the feedback, guys.  i'll be visiting l.i.s. at shang soon to check out the a.t. and b&w speakers that they carry.

i was at upscale audio in park square yesterday, checking out budget systems and saw the receiver/s that i've got in mind--a yamaha rx-v630 at 26k or an onkyo tx-sr600 at 24k.  i saw a denon 1803 at spectra going for 23k.  which would you guys recommend (it's primarily for watching movies, playing ps2 games.  music would mostprobably be secondary).

most of the speakers on display were way over my budget (psb at 44k--haven't heard of this one either, any comments?).  they had energy's but they turned out to be over my budget as well.  thanks for the lead on the wharfedales, tyro, i'll go check them out.  15k for a whole set is not bad at all!  and a pair of floor standing fronts at that!

thanks guys!

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 02:34 PM »
Eyebags, bear in mind that most higher priced HT gears are backed up your opportunity to hear them in a demo. They have that as the "value added" for the higher price you pay, something that you won't see in the "cheaper" end of the market. Hence, it may be difficult to ask Ambassador Appliances to hear a demo of the cheaper products, such as the Wharfedale Diamond set. You just have to take our word for it, that it sounds just as good, because eight of my officemates took my word for it and are now enjoying the realm of home theater! One more thing, What-HiFi magazine (of UK) rated the Wharfedale Diamond speakers as Five Stars, the highest, for its price range.

Offline eyebags

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 04:38 PM »
thanks tyro.

napansin ko nga na the shops that carry the budget systems don't really let you do a demo.

actually, i'm really taking your (and everyone else who has been helpful) word on it.  and i checked a copy of what hi fi? while i was at upscale audio--true enough the wharfedale's were rated as the best in its price range.

thanks again!  last question, though, which avr do you think would match the wharfedales best?  a denon 1803 or a yamaha rxv630?  both fall within my budget kasi and i don't really want to spend more that 25k on the avr since i'm still new to all this.  in fact, if i can find anyone who's selling a used avr (good brand and condition), i'd probably go that route.

cheers, bro.

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 09:03 AM »
You can't go wrong with either receiver brands/models. While Yamaha pioneered the digital processing technology, Denon on the other hand is highly regarded as among the most durable designs, and with excellent musical performance to boot. If price is just about equal, I would go with Denon 1803... Good for movies, and great for music. Yamaha sounds a bit sterile on music, perhaps due to its being so neutral, resulting to being a bit dry and lifeless (in CD).

Can't wait for you to finally buy your own HT set, so that you'd begin to have sleepless nights watching/listening. Para naman you can do justice to your name "eyebags". Magkakaruon ka rin ng 'eyebags' Bro! hehe.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2003 at 09:24 AM by audio_tyro »

Offline eyebags

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 04:27 PM »
thanks dude.

i think i'm going to go for a denon 1803 with wharfedale diamond series 8.x's.  haven't decided which particular wharfedale's just yet but according to the reviews and some ht-philes, i can't go wrong with any of the 8 series.

tama ka dyan, bro, lalaki pa lalo ang mga eyebags ko!  lalo na't reregaluhan ako ng ps2 ni misis!  yipee!

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 07:53 PM »
Ah, Wharfedale. Many (including me) started with this brand, Diamonds in particular, and always have fond memories.

Notice that, through this post and your research, you've been gently pulled toward the warm and polite British sound, and towards the warmer side of the Japanese sound as well. Not a bad way to start. Most source material is bright and harsh, whether it's CDs, DVDs (or even many LPs, truth to tell), and your Playstation. So having a relatively forgiving system means you can enjoy quite a diverse range of material.

You're at an envious point in your journey, eyebags. Godspeed!
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2003 at 07:54 PM by slowhand »

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2003 at 09:33 AM »
Eyebags, good luck. I can foresee your getting more eyebags with the hint of path you said you're going to take. Btw, while all Diamond 8s are rated five stars, a friend dealer told me the about his latest experimentation: Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 used as front speakers on top of 24 in. speaker stands beats the 8.3 floorstanders in resolution and clarity (again in music parlance). He said, while he enjoys serving his rich customers with highend systems costing close up to a million bucks, he is equally enthusiastic to recommend the Diamond 8s to the beginners with golden ears. How's that???

Slowhand is right, you seems to be in great path on your quest having gotten a shortcut to sonic nirvana in a budget (while most of us took the long "cut" and wasted a lot of money in the learning process!).

Offline eyebags

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2003 at 05:08 PM »
Ah, Wharfedale. Many (including me) started with this brand, Diamonds in particular, and always have fond memories.

Notice that, through this post and your research, you've been gently pulled toward the warm and polite British sound, and towards the warmer side of the Japanese sound as well. Not a bad way to start. Most source material is bright and harsh, whether it's CDs, DVDs (or even many LPs, truth to tell), and your Playstation. So having a relatively forgiving system means you can enjoy quite a diverse range of material.

You're at an envious point in your journey, eyebags. Godspeed!

Thanks slowhand.  Forgive me if you will, but how do you define brightness and harshness?  While I do have a vague idea of what it could mean, I'd rather defer to more experienced audiophiles to show me the way.

Thanks for the lead on the speaker stands, tyro.  Do you know of any good speaker stand brands or any store that makes good ones?

I can't wait to get my bigger eyebags!

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2003 at 05:23 PM »
Many options. For one, Lovan stands costs approx. P3K. ThHere are other steel speaker stands around. Most important is for it to be stolid and leveled (no rocking pls.) Go ask Hypertriode too at 832-5710. I've seen he has many stands on stock last Christmas. Baka may natira pa dun.

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2003 at 02:19 PM »
I'm new to the home theater world (still saving up for my first system) and a friend of mine mentioned this brand of speakers.
Being the newbie that I am, I've only been exposed to the more popular brands (some of which turned out to be big disappointments after reading the reviews) and some brands that I've read about on this thread and in audio magazines.

What's your feedback about Atlantic Technologies?  Anyone?

Thanks and happy new year to all!

Try mo yun Definitive Technology Speakers or the Klipsch. These are two know U.S brand which critique and history that can prove that they are audiophile grade

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Atlantic Technologies...
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 05:27 PM »
up...

got interested in this brand from Nemesis' posts. any current owners around?

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 08:10 PM »
up...

got interested in this brand from Nemesis' posts. any current owners around?

check with Sir MatzTer, he has them for HT use.
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline The Analog Source

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
have one of the older and cheaper model. bought it 1995 or6 or7?

ok un center specially if you watch a lot of nun madami conversations na movies. very clear ang usapan.

didn't use other brands so can't compare

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:08 AM »
Test Atlantic Technology at Theater Works Trinoma! Judge for yourselves. ;D
The company also own's Parrasound

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:36 AM »
I am using system 270 THX. These are my observations, based on using them w/ matching Yamaha 2500 THX receiver (as pre-amp) and a Rotel 5x100w THX power amp:

PROS:
  • Subwoofer is LOUD!!! Mine is calibrated at -8db, yet this thing can still rock the room. Sudden bomb explosion scenes from the Miami Vice & V for Vendetta made me check my room if it was still intact ;D. My friend has this highly reviewed sub for his huge 100sqm combined Living/dining/den and it can still rattle his steel stairs.
  • Its built specially for HT. Sealed type boxes (no rear or front ports) are cool for putting it anywhere, in cabinets or hide them like those pro installation HT's in HT magazines where you dont see the speakers (like sir Nemesis's work, pro na pro!). Also all 5 speakers cut off at exactly 80hz!
  • Wide dispersion. Used to have a problem w/ my previous main speakers as when I toe them in for music, there are areas in my room that are not reached by the speakers (extreme left & right) for HT. With the AT speaker's D'Appolito array (mid-tweeter-mid), all seating areas now have equal sound due to the wide dispersion. And my separate speaker for audio can be positioned anyway I like it.
  • Loud w/o harshness. The speakers can be cranked yet they do not sound harsh or distorted. Sounds as big as FS speakers.
  • Great center speaker clarity. Indeed! you will never miss the dialogues, unless you are sleepy :-\. there are even adjustments for the tone at the back. Also the built in tilting feature is much appreciated.
  • Dipoles do a great job in surrounds. Its hard to figure out where the surrounds are coming from, w/c should be the case.

Cons:
  • Its a bit expensive. System 270 THX was around $2,600 before. The smaller non-THX System 170 is $1500
  • Sub is loud but not as smooth (as my previous Velodyne). Pang HT nga talaga. Or maybe di pa break in yung akin. :-[
  • Not as musical as others. (but note I am not saying its bad). But I expected that, since I believe in specialty HT speakers & separate musical speakers instead of getting a 50/50 music/HT speakers (you get 50/50 as well :-\).

My recommendation would be JBL or Atlantic 5.1 HT speakers (sealed type, hang it or hide it on walls or cabinets) then get a pair of musical FS (Dynaudio!) using em as speaker B on your receiver. This way, you can position your speakers for music & get the best of both worlds, music & HT. PLUS all 3 of your front speakers are of matching size w/c is perfect for HT.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 01:13 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 05:19 PM »
How does Atlantic T70 sub compare to velo cht-10r?

Offline The Analog Source

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 08:46 PM »
clear intelligent dialogues..... that's the word i was looking for for the AT centers

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2007 at 02:56 PM »
Atlantic new series 2200 Malupit! ;)

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 12:03 AM »
New users of Atlantic Tehnology THX speakers!
Sam > of Pinoy Big brother
Vhong > Lastick man
Gardo Versosa
and the 1st Family! ;)

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 07:11 PM »
dito pala dapat ako nagtanong hihi

mga sirs, maganda po ba ang atlantic tech 352 PBM THX subwoofer? second hand, used for 5 years na... any feedback po?
salamat po

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM »
dito pala dapat ako nagtanong hihi

mga sirs, maganda po ba ang atlantic tech 352 PBM THX subwoofer? second hand, used for 5 years na... any feedback po?
salamat po

if the price is right and No any defects,, grab it na but after you audition the unit....  :D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM »
magkano po ba ang reasonable price nun? hehe
5 years na, ang price niya sa net around 2002 - 2003 e $1700 =)

pls advice, baka magoyo ako... natest ko na, smooth pa naman ung bass ang wala namang problema sa sound output

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 09:50 AM »
im selling my AT T70PBM subwoofer FYI.  13K.  I posted it at pinoybazaar.  Tnx.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 10:24 AM »
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008 at 10:29 AM by leomar »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
The price of 450SGD is less than 15k pesos right? I think thats a good price for an AT sub. 300 series are a higher one than my 272 THX sub that used to cost 45k here.

If your room is small then be careful w/ these. they can really send your neighbors knocking.