Author Topic: Books on Philippine Cinema  (Read 12391 times)

Offline rse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Books on Philippine Cinema
« on: Jan 05, 2003 at 01:44 PM »
I just recently bought a book called "The Urian Anthology 1980-1989".
It's the best book on Philippine cinema I have so far.  Lots of reviews, with nice glossy pictures, even interviews.  Good stuff.  A bit pricey though.  I bought it at the "Filipino Store" bookshop and costs around Php 2900.  Still, money well spent.

I heard that the Manunuri issued an anthology from 1970-1979.  I think it's out of print now.  Anybody here knows where I can get one used?

Any other books on Filipino films you want to recommend?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Books on Philippine Cinema
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 06:50 PM »
There is also THE NATIONAL PASTIME CONTEMPORARY PHILIPPINE CINEMA BY JOEL DAVID.

The book is filled with over 50 reviews of some of the best films during the 1980's, plus several stills/photos behind the scenes of the best movies of that decade.  8)

I hope rse, the Urian Anthology book will reduce its price, because for me it is very pricey, indeed.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Joel David
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 08:10 PM »
keating where did you get your copy of The National Pastime? I've been searching high and low for that title.

I first came across Joel David when I bought Fields Of Vision: Crticial Applications in Recent Philippine Cinema in what used to be Page-One in PowerPlant. I was so impressed that I vowed to collect all his books. I now have Wages Of Cinema: Film In Philippine Perspective.

His books are very informative, though sometimes I find his style too hifalutin, but not too pompous.

As far as I know, he only has those three books published. It's a shame really, we need more books about said subject matter.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2003 at 08:13 PM by Phobos »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 09:24 PM »
There are no good books on Philippine cinema; that has yet to be written.

That said, the Urian is of value for the titles it lists down, and the performances nominated.  I wouldn't take the list of winners too seriously, though...

And another invaulable reference, full of errors and biased it may be, is the CCP Encyclopedia's volume on film, for P2,500 at the CCP.

What else?  Oh, David's and Manny Reyes' books, for their opinions.  The book of Lino Brocka for an exhaustive filmography.  

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 09:27 PM »
Ey Noel, why not write your own book?

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 12:50 AM »
bartmaniac posted these two books at another thread:

Some films you may not have seen or even heard about. The more familiar movies will inspire a voyage of discovery about the Philippine cinema- the directors, the stars, the stories and the intrigues. 100 Acclaimed Tagalog Movies presents poignant and entertaining reviews of classic Philippine films. Many of them have achieved cult-status. Film enthusiasts, and other readers curious about the history and growth of Asian and Philippine cinema, will find this book an excellent reference and guide.

Notes On Philippine Cinema

by: Emmanuel A. Reyes

The aim of this book is to examine Philippine cinema for what it is rather than what is has failed to become. It is tempting to be derogatory when one speaks about Filipino or Tagalog movies. But there is nothing to gain by being aloof about the subject matter. On the contrary, our movies say a lot about what we are as a people. This book is composed of essays, reviews, and an interview. Moreover, it attempts to crack the terrain of mainstream Filipino films. The first section of this book attempts to explore the escapist appeal of mainstream cinema. Essays on mythology, form in the Filipino film, ideology, and genre studies attempt to examine Philippine Cinema to expose angles commonly overlooked by traditional film aesthetics.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2003 at 12:51 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 01:20 AM »
Ey Noel, why not write your own book?

Working on it...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Joel David
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 06:04 PM »
keating where did you get your copy of The National Pastime? I've been searching high and low for that title.

I first came across Joel David when I bought Fields Of Vision: Crticial Applications in Recent Philippine Cinema in what used to be Page-One in PowerPlant. I was so impressed that I vowed to collect all his books. I now have Wages Of Cinema: Film In Philippine Perspective.

His books are very informative, though sometimes I find his style too hifalutin, but not too pompous.

As far as I know, he only has those three books published. It's a shame really, we need more books about said subject matter.

Hi there, phobos. Nostalgia trip muna tayo. I first bought the book when I was in 1st year college after my class at National Book Store in Sm North Edsa. I believe it's the 1st print of it in 1990.

It's out of print already because my friend from the U.S. is also searching for this book by Joel David. Did you try in The Filipino Bookstore and inquire to them if you can still order it?

I bought it in the ist place because there are extensive information about the movies of Peque Gallaga and MIke De Leon, two of my favorite directors in Phil. cinema. Plus several hard to find photos of their movies. Sad to say, Peque has not make a comeback yet in directing movies.

Good luck on your search!  8)

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 08:26 PM »
Here are some other books on Philippine Cinema.  Just click on the book cover for details and/or order info.

Native Resistance: Philippine Cinema and Colonialism 1898-1941

by: Clodualdo A. del Mundo

Pioneer Filipino filmmakers may have failed to break completely the filter of the colonial way of looking at things, but they have indigenized a foreign medium, the cinema, through the infusion of local elements found in the moro-moro, the sarswela, and other theater/entertainment forms.  In this book, Clodualdo A. del Mundo asserts that the early Filipino film "was not an extension of Hollywood, but an emergent cultural form and practice that was in iteself a critical response to colonialism."

Lino Brocka
The Artist and His Times

by: Mario A. Hernando

The study of the most influencial Filipino filmaker. Presents a comprehensive view of his life and work.  This work attempts to present a comprehensive view of the artist's life, with special sections devoted to interviews and reviews of his most important films, as well as a complete filmography of his works. It also features essays written by highly qualified authors on the subject's contribution to contemporary Philippine culture and history.

Geopolitics of the Visible
Essays on Philippine Film Culture

by: Rolando Tolentino

In this anthology of essays about Philippine cinema, geopolitics takes from the post-World War 11 detente foreign policy of the United States to illustrate issues of transparency of power and power relations. It lays bare the geopolitics of the visible in order to render the almost invisible working operations that makes both visibility and invisibility possible.

PELIKULA
An Essay on the Philippine Film: 1897-1960

by: Agustin L. Sotto

PELIKULA
An Essay on the Philippine Film: 1961-1992

by: Bienvenido Lumbera

Feilds of Vision
Critical Applications in Recent Philippine Cinema

by: Joel David

'Fields of Vision' marks a departure from previous book-length approaches to Philippine film criticism in its scholarly application of modernist principles. Such issues as auterism, structuralism, and spectatorship are pursued with the view of testing their usefulness for Philippine cinema, instead of simply dismissing them in the wake of more recent methodologies.

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2003 at 08:44 PM by ßa®tmaniac »

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
Re:Joel David
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2003 at 01:48 AM »

Phobos, the book is available online: http://bookbook.com/catalog/catafilm.html (the site is based in Hawaii  ;D )

The National Pastime
Contemporay Philippine Cinema

by: Joel David

Over 50 reviews of some of the most significant films and film-related products in the Philippines during the 1980s. It also includes 160-plus Filipino titles and terms, a glossary with over 70 entries, and an index of names and titles.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2003 at 09:03 AM »
OT: Checked out the link. What caught me is their e-mail address. bookbook.... bukbuk is what we filipinos are being called here. ;D ;D ;D Yun ay kapag nagkakalokohan lang. ;)

Pero nakakapagtaka kung bakit hindi available sa PINAS ang librong iyun. Eh diyan pala galing yun. ???
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2003 at 09:05 AM by Akebono »
There's something to learn everyday

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2003 at 09:22 PM »
Noel,

that's good to hear!  what exactly is the focus of your book?

Offline VAN HELSING

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2003 at 10:24 PM »
Hammi Sotto was one of the best film critics the phils ever had.Rest in peace,HAM
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2003 at 09:58 AM by VAN HELSING »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2003 at 01:54 AM »
Hammi Sotto was an excellent critic--better than any other in the Manunuri, I think.

One book will be a compilation of my articles.  The second book--I don't want to say just yet.  But I'm excited...

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2003 at 02:34 AM »
will they be strictly about philippine cinema?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2003 at 01:09 PM »
Yes, they will.  No one seems interested in publishing my views on Hollywood  ;D

Offline GL2814

• Collector
  • In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 06:57 AM »
You may want to check out Danny Dolor's “The Golden Years: Memorable Tagalog Movie Ads 1946-1956.”

It is a compilation of about 300+ Tagalog movie ads from the late 1940s to early 1950s, considered the golden era of Philippine movies

My copy has autographs of attendees to the book launch.

For the 1st Urian Anthology, you might want to get it at the Philippine Bookfair in September. I got mine 10 years ago for P1,500.

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2003 at 08:24 AM »
Am also interested in acquiring and have been searching for THE URIAN ANTHOLOGY 1970-1979.  Will appreciate any info.

Although not a film book per se, Ricardo Lee's SI TATANG AT MGA HIMALA NG ATING PANAHON contains the screenplay of HIMALA and other articles on movie personalities.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2003 at 09:56 AM »
Am also interested in acquiring and have been searching for THE URIAN ANTHOLOGY 1970-1979.  Will appreciate any info.

Although not a film book per se, Ricardo Lee's SI TATANG AT MGA HIMALA NG ATING PANAHON contains the screenplay of HIMALA and other articles on movie personalities.

I saw a copy of the Urian Anthology at the Greenhills branch of National Bookstore. This was about a month ago.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2003 at 10:32 AM »
In my grade school library (of all places), they carried a coffee table book about Dona Sisang and the LVN story. Since I was in grade school when I read it, I couldn't really gauge anymore if it had worthy academic value. But at least it was useful in gaining a working familiarity with Pinoy films and film stars from the 30s to the 60s.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2003 at 10:43 AM »
In my grade school library (of all places), they carried a coffee table book about Dona Sisang and the LVN story. Since I was in grade school when I read it, I couldn't really gauge anymore if it had worthy academic value. But at least it was useful in gaining a working familiarity with Pinoy films and film stars from the 30s to the 60s.

I read the book at the CCP library and I found it to be fairly interesting look at the life of Dona Sisang as told by her relatives, associates and the stars of LVN.  
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2004 at 01:52 PM by RMN »

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 06:48 PM »
Just found this online:

synopis:

This book fathoms the depths of Philippine cinema as the author ventures into the largely unknown terrain of the country’s history of early cinema.

With meticulous scholarship and engaging insights, prizewinning filmmaker and author, Nick Deocampo, investigates the origin and formation of cinema as it became the Filipinos’ preeminent entertainment and cultural form.

Cinema’s arrival and its difficulties in asserting itself in Hispanic, then Americanized, Manila until the outbreak of World War II are detailed in this book – the first in five volumes to discuss the development of Philippine cinema in its journey from colonization to nationalism through the process of indigenization. By bringing back to cinema its Hispanic past, the author guides his readers to see Spanish influences even as cinema struggles to find its native form. These influences may be seen through a matrix of forces – language, material culture, aesthetics, reception, and ideology.

An invaluable guide to film historians, cinema students, film and media faculty, critics, and film audiences interested to learn about Philippine cinema, this book is a monumental contribution to the continuing efforts to define Filipino film culture. With its 400 pages and 270 photographs and illustrations, the history of Philippine cinema takes its first steps here.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 09:40 PM »
The young critics circle will be launching their book tommorow, Friday, at the CCP. The book was published by the NCCA. Details:

The Film Desk of the Young Critics Circle, in cooperation with the Cultural Center of the Philippines and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, pays tribute to the legacy of Philippine Cinema, 1990-1999, the decade that the Circle tried to define in terms of film
criticism.  

The Circle acknowledges the contributions of film directors like National Artist Lino Brocka, Gil Portes, Carlos Siguion-Reyna, Jose Javier Reyes, Joey Romero, Joel Lamangan, Ike Jarlego, Jr., Antonio Jose Perez,
Chito Roño, and Mario O'Hara; and performers like Cultural Center of the Philippines Centennial laureate Nora Aunor, Vilma Santos, Maricel Soriano, Elizabeth Oropesa, Christopher de Leon, Aga Muhlach, and Patrick
Garcia in a testimonial reunion of honorees from 1990-1999 on November 21, 2003, Friday, 7 pm, at the Little Theater of the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

Completing this elite circle are screenwriters Ricardo Lee, Raquel Villavicencio, Jose Dalisay, Emmanuel Borlaza, Lualhati Bautista, Amado Lacuesta; cinematographers Jun Pereira, Loreto Isleta, Jun Dalawis, Johnny Araojo, Romulo Araojo, Romeo Vitug, Isagani Sioson, Eduardo Jacinto, Rey de Leon, and Shayne Clemente; production designers Charlie Arceo,
Raymond Bajarias, Benjie de Guzman, Manny Morfe, Lino Dalay, Willy Javier, Len Santos, James Quimson, and Ronnie Cruz; editors George Jarlego,
Jess Navarro, Jose Almojuela, Danny Gloria, Jaime Davila, Ruben Pantoja, and Roberto Vasadre; sound engineers Gaudencio Baredo, Ramon Reyes,
and Albert Michael Idioma; and musical directors Ryan Cayabyab, Vehnee Saturno, Nonong Buencamino, Jessie Lasaten, Jaime Fabregas, and Jesse Lucas.

The ceremonies will coincide with the launching of the book titled Sampung Taong Sine, Philippine Cinema 1990-1999, authored by the members of the Circle and published by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts.  A symposium on the issues and perspectives in Philippine cinema of the past will precede the event from 2-5 pm at the Silangan Hall,
4th Floor, of the CCP.

The day-long commemoration, called Sampung Taong Sine at Suri, encourages the community of film artists as well as the public to take part in taking stock of the gains of the decade and pausing to reflect on the
prospects of a future cinema.  Now on its 14th year, the Circle strives to redefine the means of recognizing achievement in local filmmaking through independent film criticism.

All events are free and open to the public. For details, please contact
Jerry Respeto at 931-0396; 0917-3260771; 426-6001 ext 5320-22; and
[email protected].

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2003 at 09:42 PM by RMN »

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Books on Philippine Cinema
« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2004 at 09:27 AM »
There is a pretty good article/section about Philippine Cinema on Pete Tomb's Mondo Macabro.It is a book about genre films from around the world.The section on Philippine Cinema is called "The Shoe Queen of Blood Island"(?),it features Gerardo De Leon,Cirio Santiago,Zuma, Scorpio Nights,Angela Markado etc.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 11:37 AM »
 ;D Any chance someone will create a book on..

Philippine Cinema only in their dreams that they win for an Oscar?

Philippine Cinema Quality Critiscm for Dummies?

Geez.. despite all this fine read books.. howcome its only stuck when it comes to international awards for Philippine Cinemas to win it.. and not with the prestigous Oscars?

[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 12:42 PM »
Book on the Oscars is a waste of ink.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 12:38 PM »
Is the book by the critics Urian Anthology still available on the market? Cant see any copy anymore on Powerbooks and National Bookstore branches.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 12:41 PM »
Is the book by the critics Urian Anthology still available on the market? Cant see any copy anymore on Powerbooks and National Bookstore branches.

I've been looking for that too, bro. Can't find it elsewhere online din eh.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 12:45 PM »

I've been looking for that too, bro. Can't find it elsewhere online din eh.

Bro did you try bookstores in Florida? The book is thick and bulky worth it if you like Philippine cinema from the 80's.  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2004 at 12:55 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 12:48 PM »
Nah. If it's published by a Filipino publisher, then there'll be no way it'll get in here (unless somebody owns a pinoy specialty bookstore here).

Maybe you can try the publisher....