Author Topic: Pinoy Telenovelas Thread  (Read 13286 times)

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Pinoy Telenovelas Thread
« Reply #30 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 11:43 AM »
Hindi lang naman dito nangyayari yan, kahit sa mga US shows ganyan... pera-pera lang yan, that's business.

Naiinis ako sa mga US shows dahil walang katapusan, tapos same pattern din, puro characters ang focus gang sa parang hindi na nakakarating sa dapat kapuntahan ng istorya. Kaya anime na lang pinapanood ko kahit parang wala din katapusan, nakakatuwa naman kasi cartoons.. ;D Saka ganda ng mga artworks, dun ako bumibilib ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #31 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 12:53 PM »
Hindi lang naman dito nangyayari yan, kahit sa mga US shows ganyan... pera-pera lang yan, that's business.

Naiinis ako sa mga US shows dahil walang katapusan, tapos same pattern din, puro characters ang focus gang sa parang hindi na nakakarating sa dapat kapuntahan ng istorya. Kaya anime na lang pinapanood ko kahit parang wala din katapusan, nakakatuwa naman kasi cartoons.. ;D Saka ganda ng mga artworks, dun ako bumibilib ;)

U.S. shows? Maybe in their daytime soaps/network TV procedurals. Not in cable though! Don't tell me you know how Breaking Bad is going to end.

In the U.S., writers have a bit more power because the head writers are also the producers of the show and their name becomes a brand and sometimes they crossover to become big movie people too: J.J. Abrams, Aaron Sorkin and Joss Whedon are examples of this. Mabigat ang mga pangalan nila and they became a brand because of TV. The shows that become hits in the U.S., the fans get to know, not only yun mga artista, but also the creator who's also the executive producer and head-writer for the show otherwise known as a SHOW-RUNNER. 

Over here, we do not know who's the creator of the show (the names of the creator/writer are not prominently displayed in the credits) so the writers have very little chance to make a name and gain power plus I don't think Pinoys are the least bit interested in finding out about writers anyway even in shows that they love.

Offline sirhc

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #32 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 01:32 PM »
As someone who has been on the inside (Ricky Lee workshopper, writer for ABS-CBN), that is the case. The networks, by and large, make programs that are guaranteed to be hits because these days, the ads don't support the shows, they make the shows so you can watch the ads.

It's not because we lack writers with original ideas. I know A LOT of writers who have EXCELLENT, ORIGINAL, EXCITING ideas for shows (not to brag but yours truly included) but the networks want guaranteed ad revenue. Even if by some miracle your original idea was approved, you will be asked to rewrite it and rewrite it and rewrite it, until it becomes MORE generic and only the shell is left. It's so much so that Ricky Lee has told us that if we manage to get one or two original/new twists and turns into the soaps we're writing, it's considered a triumph for us.

Writers have almost zero power in writing these shows. And they're poorly paid too. I know writers who'd work well into the wee hours for only FOOD and a thank you.

So if you watch a Pinoy telenovela and you notice all of these tropes, it's NOT because of the writers. It's because of the TV network executives and advertisers who want GUARANTEED ratings (i.e. nothing so new that it would risk turning off viewers) and the Pinoys who swallow it all up in big numbers.

Haaaayyyy.. dapat ata offshoot ng "May pag-asa pa ba ang Pilipinas?" thread to e... hahahaha.. and sa tingin ko, wala na..  ;D
Never stop learning.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #33 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 02:39 PM »
sabagay sa US nga rin yung soap opera nila, palit-palit ng partner, amnesia, evil twin, secret whatever din... pati yung revenge wala nang kwenta. even true blood, glee, how i met your mother.
 and remember the last few seasons of lost, x-files and smallville?

yung my husband's lover parang kakaiba dahil lang mga gays pero story rin sya ng marital infidelity at over extended na rin ang crying scenes while kuh ledesma's song plays. music video ba ito?

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 02:44 PM »
U.S. shows? Maybe in their daytime soaps/network TV procedurals. Not in cable though! Don't tell me you know how Breaking Bad is going to end.

In the U.S., writers have a bit more power because the head writers are also the producers of the show and their name becomes a brand and sometimes they crossover to become big movie people too: J.J. Abrams, Aaron Sorkin and Joss Whedon are examples of this. Mabigat ang mga pangalan nila and they became a brand because of TV. The shows that become hits in the U.S., the fans get to know, not only yun mga artista, but also the creator who's also the executive producer and head-writer for the show otherwise known as a SHOW-RUNNER. 

Over here, we do not know who's the creator of the show (the names of the creator/writer are not prominently displayed in the credits) so the writers have very little chance to make a name and gain power plus I don't think Pinoys are the least bit interested in finding out about writers anyway even in shows that they love.

Maybe I don't know all of them US SHOWS. So bilib ka kay JJ Abrams??? LOST anyone?? I was really LOST hehe!!! How about his movie about some ALIEN(Monster???), though not really sure about this kung sya ang writer or producer hehe!

How about SMALLVILLE??? HEROES??? etc etc.... ;D

Most of the time umiiral lang ang Colonial mentality naten kaya hindi naten nakikita (o ayaw naten makita ;D) ang mga flaws ng ISTEYTSAYD na shows... ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #35 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 04:46 PM »
^boss, relax! baka tumaas ang high blood! :D
pero tama nga na mas fair i-compare ang pinoy telenovelas sa us soap operas lang kasi wala naman tayong weekly drama series dito, cable or network man. I think the last time GMA tried, it was with Philip Salvador in Verano, parang action-drama way back in the 90s pero tinalo talaga ng soap operas.Pati mga weekly sitcom, namatay. TV5 tried din with a weekend supernatural, di ko lang maalala.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #36 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 07:04 PM »
sabagay sa US nga rin yung soap opera nila, palit-palit ng partner, amnesia, evil twin, secret whatever din...

Don't forget demonic possession; parang I recall one storyline sa Days of Our Lives in which the lead character was possessed by a demon, LOL

Maybe I don't know all of them US SHOWS. So bilib ka kay JJ Abrams??? LOST anyone?? I was really LOST hehe!!! How about his movie about some ALIEN(Monster???), though not really sure about this kung sya ang writer or producer hehe!

How about SMALLVILLE??? HEROES??? etc etc.... ;D

Please stick to the topic; the shows you mentioned are not soaps or telenovelas--they are scripted weekly dramas. Yup, they are also flawed, pero the discussion is about Pinoy Telenovelas in general.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2013 at 07:08 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 08:03 PM »
I think a fairer comparison to our telenovelas are MEXICAN telenovelas. I think they are the closest comparison. The soaps in the U.S. are VERY different from our soaps. They do tend to be wacky because there's only so much they can do with love triangles and adultery storylines.

Most of the time umiiral lang ang Colonial mentality naten kaya hindi naten nakikita (o ayaw naten makita ) ang mga flaws ng ISTEYTSAYD na shows...

I'm not speaking from a "colonial mentality" point of view. I'm speaking from someone who has worked on the inside, knows quite a bit about how showbiz works (I mean, I have written a Pinoy indie film after all!) and pretty much has a critical eye about that sort of stuff. Hindi ako bilib dahil "isteytsayd". I quit watching Glee because I know the storylines and the quality are getting poor. I find Beverly Hills 90210, The O.C., Brothers and Sisters and One Tree Hill boring as hell.

All your complaints here about Pinoy telenovelas, I'm just saying that all of what you see is not because we lack talent but because the people in power just wants guaranteed money. If I try to pitch a show where the lead character is a corrupt politician who tries to cover up the murder of a prostitute by his mentally ill teenage son and it will be told from a non-linear narrative from the points of view of different characters, I'd either be chased out of the room or be told to rewrite it and water down it so much that it will simply be a conventional gentle drama about an honest politician falling in love with a prostitute (maybe not even a prostitute, baka GRO or Japayuki na lang) who will be changed through the power of prayer. 

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 03, 2013 at 01:05 AM »
Agreed. Alam ko din nman na marami talaga tayong talentadong manunulat, kaso talagang nauuna muna ang pera. And dont get me wrong hindi rin ako bilib sa mga telenobela naten, kaso yan talaga ang gusto ng karamihan karaniwang pinoy. Pero napansin ko kahit papano nagiimprove na naman. Halimbawa yung Juan sa abs, pansin ko medyo improved na ang cinematography(if thats whats its called ;D)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 03, 2013 at 02:00 AM »
Well, the fact that My Husband's Lover exists shows that it IS improving even just a little bit. It's still a conventional soap but at least it's tackling a topic seriously that hasn't been tackled in Pinoy telenovelas and it's a hit! Maybe...just maybe...that would tell executives that Pinoys are not averse to new ideas.

Online oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
« Reply #40 on: Aug 03, 2013 at 06:40 AM »
now that they've seen the potential, we can expect more of the same genre soon.{milk it}

Offline rusty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: Sep 07, 2013 at 10:30 PM »

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #42 on: Sep 12, 2013 at 08:36 PM »
yung anak ko gusto panoorin yung "got to believe" sa abs-cbn
after nito mrs ko naman "my husband's lover" sa gma7  >:D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM »
out na on dvd yung "my husband's lover" volume 1 and 2  >:D

Offline BusyChild

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #44 on: Oct 19, 2013 at 09:54 AM »
Yung gay lovers din ang nagkatuluyan.... hehehe... but without the kissing scene... SPG daw according to MTRCB...
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2013 at 09:54 AM by BusyChild »
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 19, 2013 at 09:58 AM »
Yung gay lovers din ang nagkatuluyan.... hehehe... but without the kissing scene... SPG daw according to MTRCB...

si lally sino nakatuluyan? si ryan agoncillo ba?

Offline BusyChild

• DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM »
si lally sino nakatuluyan? si ryan agoncillo ba?

Well... yun ang premise nung nagmeet sila ulit ni ryan... pero hindi naman naconclude sa ending...

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM »
Well... yun ang premise nung nagmeet sila ulit ni ryan... pero hindi naman naconclude sa ending...

parang hawig ni ryan si eric pag nakasalamin  >:D

Offline BusyChild

• DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM »
Ang ending, sabi ni lally... my husband's lover also became my bestfriend....

;)   *yak!*

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jun 03, 2014 at 03:12 PM »
I have a question to anyone watching Pinoy telenovelas like Legal Wife and the like: Do any of these telenovelas take the cheating husband or boyfriend to task? It seems as though Pinoys love it when two women fight over a man despite the fact that the man cheated on both of them.

Offline Jingo

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • If you found love, you've found music
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 16, 2014 at 09:33 PM »
sino ba ang puede magsabi sa mga director at mga writers sa mga telenovelas naten na kung puede lang itigil na yung istorya na panget kuno muna yung bida tapos gaganda.

this is so old and an obsolete story. can they not make any good shows anymore? got to believe medyo okay, hehe. tsaka legal wife. hahahaha
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2014 at 09:34 PM by Jingo »
Egreat R6S | Bose Companion 3 Series II | Marantz 1504 | Monitor Audio BX Series

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 16, 2014 at 11:25 PM »
sino ba ang puede magsabi sa mga director at mga writers sa mga telenovelas naten na kung puede lang itigil na yung istorya na panget kuno muna yung bida tapos gaganda.

this is so old and an obsolete story. can they not make any good shows anymore? got to believe medyo okay, hehe. tsaka legal wife. hahahaha

I know this coming from the inside: We have a lot of talented writers with a lot of great ideas for new stories and new concepts for shows. Ang problema is the fact that networks and sponsors want GUARANTEED ratings and new types of stories is a rick. So they stick to the tried and true for the most part.

Offline Jingo

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • If you found love, you've found music
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 17, 2014 at 07:28 AM »
I know this coming from the inside: We have a lot of talented writers with a lot of great ideas for new stories and new concepts for shows. Ang problema is the fact that networks and sponsors want GUARANTEED ratings and new types of stories is a rick. So they stick to the tried and true for the most part.

That is sad. Then they are not building talents. its all about business.
Egreat R6S | Bose Companion 3 Series II | Marantz 1504 | Monitor Audio BX Series

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2015 at 07:07 PM »
BTW, what is it with Pinoy teleseryes and their sympathetic depictions of two-timing husbands/boyfriends? It's sad that women fight over these losers while they should just leave them for someone better.

Offline sirhc

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2015 at 04:49 PM »
BTW, what is it with Pinoy teleseryes and their sympathetic depictions of two-timing husbands/boyfriends? It's sad that women fight over these losers while they should just leave them for someone better.

Strike whilst iron is hot. Though I agree, they're proliferating the wrong idea.
Never stop learning.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2015 at 05:37 PM »
I think it's because we live in a culture that tolerates this type of thing. Due to us having no legal divorce law, women HAVE to stay with their husbands and have to put up with them having mistresses so they can relate to "having to fight for their husband's love" despite the fact that they've cheated on them.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Mar 20, 2015 at 02:38 AM »
Part of my job description now is having to watch ABS-CBN teleseryes, I have to say most of them have lots of recurring elements they use again and again and again:

1. Family, family, family. ALL of the teleseryes I see are always about family. As far as I know, there is no TV drama/fantasy/dramedy series on ABS-CBN that doesn't center around a family.

2. Love triangles. Practically every teleserye has a love triangle of sorts. All heterosexual love triangles. They may be adulterous love triangles or they may be lovey-dovey teen-kilig type love triangle but it's all there.

3. Rich and poor. There's almost always a rich and poor dynamic going on. Poor people area almost always depicted as noble, hard-working and happy while rich people are either depicted as unhappy or evil.

4. Religiosity. The good guys are always depicted as explicitly religious Catholics.