Author Topic: Dimfer's  (Read 74234 times)

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
Re: Dimfer's
« Reply #210 on: Aug 10, 2015 at 07:54 PM »
Sus ginoo! Kahit sa pangarap, di na kayang abutin...ha ha...congrats sir..
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X

Offline JLT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #211 on: Aug 10, 2015 at 08:31 PM »
Enjoy pa rin ba yung mga SR at xback mo habang nakikinig?  ;D

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #212 on: Aug 11, 2015 at 12:04 AM »
Finally we can see what you decided to get for a digital system. If my memory serves me right, the firmer designer for PS audio is now the one that makes W4S (EJ Sarmiento). Congratulations, on a very nice system. I am due to receive my regen soon but it would be nice to hear how it performs on your system.
I haven't heard the 1000 watt amps from w4s but I kept hearing good things about their preamp... Maybe someday I will have that chance.
Cheers

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #213 on: Aug 12, 2015 at 08:22 AM »
I didn't know that EJ Sarmento used to design for PS Audio, thanks for that bit of info. The Direct Stream is designed by Ted Smith, based on a FPGA.

The W4S amps  are alright, and yes, the pre-amps are great. Excellent value on this product line.
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Sep 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM »
I had been driving the Magico S1 with the Aurender X725 integrated, 250 wpc @ 4 ohms and had been really impressed with the combination. This X725 can be an undiscovered gem, I have not done an extensive shootout with the much more powerful W4S stereo amps - but when I briefly replaced the W4S amps with it to drive my VSA VR 35, I thought the system was more lit up without being rough or hard on the edges. I am getting similar result with the S1.

I was told my S7 will ship in a couple of weeks, I hope it arrive before snow flies in Edmonton. It will be much more difficult to bring a pair of 300 lb speakers to my basement if I cannot bring it through my backdoor because of the snow on my backyard.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2015 at 12:21 PM by dimfer »
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #215 on: Sep 29, 2015 at 01:32 PM »
Lots of good news on the Aurender ..... also with the devialet!

It seems the era of integrands are getting a scene and a lot have been patronizing due to convenience and built-in wireless features.

Offline jh@meeh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #216 on: Sep 29, 2015 at 05:18 PM »
Binabate kita sir!

Ang lupeettt!
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Nov 09, 2015 at 01:10 PM »

Offline stevesonk

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • apo ng magniniyog kaya siponin,ang tatay utotin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4688
« Reply #218 on: Nov 09, 2015 at 03:03 PM »
My Way  >:D
Parang audio shop sa dami ng high end gears...!!
Ang lupet!!
Omega 2
Krell KAV 300i
Marantz CD6004
REGA DAC
HP DV3
Transparent cables
Tara Labs
PSB M4U 2

Offline dench

• Collector
  • The most beautiful sound next to silence.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Dimfer's
« Reply #219 on: Nov 12, 2015 at 02:33 PM »
Ding, your system defines High End. Only an elite few in the world has the S7. Congratulations!! The sound in your room is world class.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015 at 02:34 PM by dench »
VPI~Verity Audio~Cary Audio~Dynavector~Sutherland~Unison Research~REL~Audio Sensibility~Massif

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Nov 12, 2015 at 02:47 PM »
Thanks Dennis. I think this is my retirement speaker kaya pikit mata na lang sa presyo ng paint upgrade. Me and my wife really like it's pagka pula, terno kay Cayenne. I am just cleaning up the room and will take better pictures soon.

I am very thankful to be able to reach this level. Still burning in but showing a lot of potential already. I thought the Vr 5 setup would be very hard to improve upon, but this pair had surpassed it in many ways already.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015 at 02:48 PM by dimfer »

Offline botching

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #221 on: Nov 12, 2015 at 03:39 PM »
Congrats Ding! Wow stratospheric audio level na yang Magico S7 ;D
Also heard the Aurender N100 streamer sa Pinas last month-ganda ng tunog.

Tidal/Amarra/MB/Chord2qute + Audiomat+HarbethP3/SHL5+/Sonus

Offline n o l

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #222 on: Nov 12, 2015 at 09:01 PM »
wow!! SUPER HIGH END! Congrats sir! :)

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Nov 13, 2015 at 01:08 AM »
thanks Nolax, Audie, Stevensonk, &  jh@meeh

Offline redstarrising

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Paikot ikot lang...ng LP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #224 on: Nov 13, 2015 at 01:19 PM »
Ang galling galing ni ding ding. Pati aruwana sa aqua find their own way  ;) :)
ST70, DIY Tube Preamp, DIY FR Visaton B200, DIY Lenco L75, Lehman Black Cube, DIY Cinemags SUT

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Jan 04, 2016 at 11:05 AM »
20Fifteen

2015 was a roller coaster year for me. I was able to sell my Vr5 Anni to try something else, I was able to secure Magico and of course the fall on Apr 2. I wish I have more than nine lives because at 51, I have used up 2 already   >:D . I feel very lucky to be still alive and with no permanent damage, it took months before I regained my energy level. I did not do much audio related stuff for around six months because my energy level felt so drained when I get home from work, to the point that I had to take a nap right when I get home before I eat dinner. I think I am back to normal now, and actually a little healthier ( I am now down to 201, after staying steady at 215 for more than 5 years)..oops, balik 205 pala, dahil sa walang humpay na kailan nitong mga nagdaang araw. I am looking forward for spring, I hope I could ride my bike more in 2016.

I promised a friend that I will go with him to Vegas for the Pacquiao - Mayweather fight if it ever goes through, we booked our flights right after the fight was confirmed. My wife was totally against the idea of proceeding with the trip because I was still not feeling well and was insistent that we cancel the trip,but I didn't really want to disappoint my friend Joey, who has never been to Vegas. When we arrived in Vegas, my wife phoned me to tell me that one of my arowanas died (it was sick for a while, I think it ate my pleco).. I told her to fish it out of the aquarium and throw it away. It was a very stressful situation for both of us.. Other than that, me and Joey enjoyed our time in Vegas. We were disappointed that MP's camp lied about the shoulder injury (by claiming that he's in best shape ever up until the weigh-in). The crowd was obviously pro Manny during the fight, but me and Joey were looking at each other and knew he would lose by the mid rounds.

Vegas was buzzing that weekend, a lot of people were wearing FMJ stuff. We walked a good portion of the strip the night before the fight, from 11 pm till past 2 am, Joey said he got high on the second hand marijuana smoke  8)  people were partying, having drinks and doing pot out in the open.

We took the opportunity to visit my sister in Phonenix as well. Joey and I left my mom in Phoenix and drove to Vegas 3 days before the fight then drove back to Phoenix the day after.

My brother-in-law is also into cars. pictured above with my mom is his restored 1942 Packard, he also has a 1939 Cadillac parked in the driveway, and a 45' Prevost mobile home (my wife gets a chuckle looking at the picture of my 5'4 brother-in-law driving a big bus  :lol: ), he used to own a very nice Chevelle SS, previously owned and rebuilt by a pro racer. This guy can go talking for hours about little things like signal light or door locks. but yeah, those classic cars were very well built, the headlight use crystal glass instead of plastic, the shiny trims are actually polished steel instead of chromed. not my cup of tea, but I like listening to his stories anyway. He did crazy things too, like driving a classic car he bought in Chicago all the way to Arizona instead of having it transported.

On the audio side, the S1 arrived in July. It did not see action right away because it arrived just days before we left for a family vacation in Cancun.

shown here is da dimfer, fighting a 20' crocodile in Mexico   ;D

When the Magico S1 finally got setup, I was pleasantly surprised how capable this little speaker is. Even better when I augmented it with the Von Schweikert Shockwave V15.

The new top of S line, the S7 arrived in October.

This thing is a chameleon and reveals changes in the signal path much more than the VR5 did. I originally had it driven with the Lamm M2.2 and I could easily tell the difference in the sound when I switch between my Memory Player 64 and PS Audio Direct Stream DAC (either fed by PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport via I2S or Aurender N100 via Uptone Regen Amber/W4S USB cable). With the MP64, the sound was super neutral but still very dynamic. With the PS Audio stuff, it is a little more colored and warmer. Lot's of bass, even in my big and open room. The sound was a little bit strident in the beginning, the edginess started to smoothened quite a bit past 100 hours.

Switching over to Mang Rod's GM 70 lately revealed the musical side of these speakers. Wow, these new tweeters reveals a lot more information now without drawing attention to itself. The sound is now full of body, with lot's of sparkle and air on top. The presentation is more holographic and the speakers can totally disappear from the room. The tube amps gave the S7 more purity. I ordered it in red (pikit mata na lang sa paint upcharge) with the intention to keep it for a long time. We really like the rich shade of red, very similar to the of Porsche GTS red... and I think I could live with my current setup for a long time.

I have not abandoned my Von Schweikert family, and still intend to bring in their new models once my bank account recover a little bit. I have not heard the reportedly very capable Vr55 yet, and hope to hear them either in the show in Chicago (Axpona) or Maryland (Capital Audio Fest).

let me end this report with a beautiful picture taken by our daughter, who is getting deeper and deeper into photography. She did a lot of boudoir but now getting  tired of it and branching into something else. This picture was published at Jute fashion magazine's December 2015 issue (more pictures can be seen page 130 & up at Jute site). I think she has come a long way, while Dad remained in grade 1   O0

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016 at 07:44 PM by dimfer »

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 01:54 PM »
I am currently looking at Onkyo TX-NR737 receiver... not the latest model but fits the bill.. Supposed to go on sale (more than 50% off) this coming Friday.

info here

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #227 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 03:29 PM »
I am currently looking at Onkyo TX-NR737 receiver... not the latest model but fits the bill.. Supposed to go on sale (more than 50% off) this coming Friday.

info here

get the new RZ series na! :D
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #228 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 03:37 PM »
WoW! The stuff, dreams are made of...

Where is the Love? BEP

Offline majoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #229 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 04:14 PM »
ultimate stereo setup  ^-^ drool...

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 09:57 PM »
get the new RZ series na! :D

Nangunguripot pa  ;D

I think Ok na ako na 737 for the intended use  ^-^

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 09:59 PM »
Thanks CoolTOYZ and majoe  O0

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Jan 12, 2016 at 02:55 PM »
Replaced the LG HTIB with the Onkyo TX NR737, happy with the result using Energy Center channel speaker, Mordaunt Short monitors as front and VSA Shockwave V15 powered sub. I am also using the built in ceiling speakers and LD surrounds as surround speakers. Will do calibration once I have finalized speaker placement

Also got an Nvidia Shield which will be used as Kodi streamer

Will take pictures and do a progress report later this week

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #233 on: Jan 12, 2016 at 04:10 PM »
Replaced the LG HTIB with the Onkyo TX NR737, happy with the result using Energy Center channel speaker, Mordaunt Short monitors as front and VSA Shockwave V15 powered sub. I am also using the built in ceiling speakers and LD surrounds as surround speakers. Will do calibration once I have finalized speaker placement

Also got an Nvidia Shield which will be used as Kodi streamer

Will take pictures and do a progress report later this week

Congrats on getting the 737! :)
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Jan 12, 2016 at 07:14 PM »
Congrats on getting the 737! :)

Thanks. I got it for Cdn $ 499, down from Cdn $ 1,099  ;D :D at London Drugs, Bestbuy also has it sale for $649, the discount swayed me to this direction from the Yamaha 1079 or HK 1710S I was originally looking at. It is Atmos and 4K ready, ako lang ang hindi  :-[

The HTIB was handed down to my older daughter, she picked it up and set it up right away at her place and was very happy to have it.

I might upgrade the surround speakers and the cables later, but I'm not gonna rush it. The viewing experience is vastly improved already from what I have 2 days ago

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Jan 12, 2016 at 07:28 PM »
Very happy to read that among the top of the line gears is Mang Rod's DIY Tube AMP.
Mang Rod must be very proud to have his AMP in the company of highly rated gears.
I am truly impressed with Sir Dimfer's appreciation of Filipino Made gears. KUDOS Sir!

Switching over to Mang Rod's GM 70 lately revealed the musical side of these speakers. Wow, these new tweeters reveals a lot more information now without drawing attention to itself. The sound is now full of body, with lot's of sparkle and air on top. The presentation is more holographic and the speakers can totally disappear from the room. The tube amps gave the S7 more purity. I ordered it in red (pikit mata na lang sa paint upcharge) with the intention to keep it for a long time. We really like the rich shade of red, very similar to the of Porsche GTS red... and I think I could live with my current setup for a long time...
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2016 at 07:29 PM by CoolTOYZPH »
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Jan 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM »
Thanks. MR is a very talented designer/builder. He makes very good sounding products.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Jan 12, 2016 at 10:19 PM »
MR is suffering from Arthritis and can barely wind his trafos. I hope he can continue to practice his trade and provide many hours of listening pleasure to music lovers.  O0

Thanks. MR is a very talented designer/builder. He makes very good sounding products.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2016 at 10:20 PM by CoolTOYZPH »
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Jan 13, 2016 at 01:12 PM »
I hope he could stay productive for a while. I was talking with him on the phone just before Xmas regarding our tube pre amp project based on his new design, balita ko maganda daw tumunog. Maganda din daw ang performance nung kanyang kt150. I am planning to commission him to build a preamp using Deulund caps and other premium parts. I still have his v capped compactron.

Offline n o l

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #239 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 06:27 PM »
Congrats sir. Very beautiful speaker and sound for sure. Haayy dreaming of Magico. :-)