Author Topic: A few Panasonic Plasma Questions  (Read 16012 times)

Offline arvin.poker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: A few Panasonic Plasma Questions
« Reply #120 on: Jun 27, 2009 at 09:30 PM »
question lang sa mga guru's...

pano po mag-upscale ng dvd videos sa panasonic plama tv to 720 and 1080? di ko kasi sya makita sa manual and remote e.  kapag pinipindot ko kasi ang display eh laging 480 lang ang lumalabas.  may dapat po bang i-set sa tv? please help.

i'm trying to check kasi kung ano ang mas magandang mag-upscale between dvd player and the pana 42C10. 

thanks!

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Jun 27, 2009 at 10:10 PM »
c10's native reso is 7xx ata, so it upscales 480 automatically to 7xx. And downscales 1080 to 7xx. I also did the same test bfore, d ko makita difference. Pero i decide upscale via player whch, by the way, is oppo!

Offline arvin.poker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Jun 29, 2009 at 08:55 AM »
c10's native reso is 7xx ata, so it upscales 480 automatically to 7xx. And downscales 1080 to 7xx. I also did the same test bfore, d ko makita difference. Pero i decide upscale via player whch, by the way, is oppo!

thanks sir!  i noticed lang din na when i upscale via dvd player to 720p mas maganda talaga ang PQ na lumalabas kesa sa 480p.

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #123 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 09:03 AM »
Folks,

I recently bought a pv80. Can someone please share the calibration settings before and after 100 hours? just want to make sure that i wont go wasting my hard earned money over something that can be prevented with care.

thanks in advance.
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #124 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 06:53 AM »
Folks,

I recently bought a pv80. Can someone please share the calibration settings before and after 100 hours? just want to make sure that i wont go wasting my hard earned money over something that can be prevented with care.

thanks in advance.
here's what i did during the break-in period
set it to dynamic then whitewash for 24 hours
or check the PV80 thread
ninjababez online ..

Offline ferdinand

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • DVD Guru
  • Trust is my virtue-enjoy life !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 07:31 AM »
Sir arvin, sa dvd player mo (kung capable ) i upscale yung 1080p, ganun ginawa ko sa pv8 ko.  talagang lilinaw   yung picture quality.

Offline amped

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Jul 05, 2009 at 05:36 PM »
Hello to everyone.

I need some info on the energy consumption of the 50" Panasonic plasmas.  The specs state 500w for the pv80 and 50C10.  I spoke to a saleperson at one of the stores in Shang and he said a plasma TV does not steadily consume electricity at the stated wattage.  The power usage depends on the images shown and that the power plasma TV uses is generally lower. 

He added that LCD TVs are that ones that use a steady amount of power...so if an LCD's specs read 200w--it uses up 200w all (or probably most of) the time.

I am asking this because I am thinking of getting a 50" Panny plasma to replace a 50" Sammy rear proj. TV.  The problem is that my wife will be using that set for cable viewing--around 18hrs non-stop use daily!  Naka-babad sa TV eh :-[

Bottom line...is it true that plasmas (more particularly Panasonic) energy consumption run lower than stated specs?  Is consumption relative to the pictures shown--meaning brighter pics mean more power used and vice-versa?

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2009 at 09:39 PM by ESi »
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 04:11 PM »
Thanks ninjababez. Got some settings from Carlo777 too.

I'll keep those in mind. But i'm a bit hesitant to do the whitewash. I'll have to look it up first.
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #129 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 10:03 AM »
Hi guys, Just want to check if this is the same crosshatch pattern you were talking about. This pattern is visible in some text and in some but not the entire image when watching cable TV. I first noticed this when i saw the crowd shot from afar of a UAAP game.

I have the 50G10 and I believe it has the AR coating. Thanks for your feedback!  :)

Offline comitatus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 10:35 AM »
@gaol

not sure, but we can see that pattern when the t.v is off (room lights open) for the pv80, s10, and to a much lighter extent on the c10. i haven't seen that on our g11 though...
Panny 50C10 and Sammy 40A650

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM »
@gaol

not sure, but we can see that pattern when the t.v is off (room lights open) for the pv80, s10, and to a much lighter extent on the c10. i haven't seen that on our g11 though...

Thanks, Yuriko. Hmm, I don't see the pattern when the TV is off, and it only (I hope) shows up on cable TV. Upscaling artifact (from 480i)?

Cheers!
Arn

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM »
Thanks, Yuriko. Hmm, I don't see the pattern when the TV is off, and it only (I hope) shows up on cable TV. Upscaling artifact (from 480i)?

Cheers!
Arn

maybe, becuse the "pattern" is largely seen when you have a blank input, dark movie scene (very difficult) or when the t.v is off.

btw, nice news you're watching there, Arn!..."lalaking, nagtagpuang patay sa..." ;D

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 10:51 AM »
maybe, becuse the "pattern" is largely seen when you have a blank input, dark movie scene (very difficult) or when the t.v is off.

btw, nice news you're watching there, Arn!..."lalaking, nagtagpuang patay sa..." ;D

Haha, I had a feeling someone would comment on the news item. Normally, I watch CNN (daw, hehe) but in the mornings I just switch it to the local morning shows.  ;D

Hmm, I'll see if I can replicate the crosshatch pattern with a DVD and a 480i signal ....
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009 at 11:00 AM by gaol »

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 11:00 AM »
Haha, I had a feeling someone would comment on the news item. Normally, I watch CNN (daw, hehe) but in the mornings I just switch it to the local morning shows.  ;D

ok lang yan...nothing starts the day better than a "hack and slash" news ;)

about the screen, try switching off your t.v, then with normal room lighting look at your screen very closely. we don't see those patterns on a g11 though...

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM »
Hi guys, Just want to check if this is the same crosshatch pattern you were talking about. This pattern is visible in some text and in some but not the entire image when watching cable TV. I first noticed this when i saw the crowd shot from afar of a UAAP game.

I have the 50G10 and I believe it has the AR coating. Thanks for your feedback!  :)

Ganyan ba yung cross-hatch pattern?

I thought the cross-hatch pattern is much bigger, parang cyclone wire fence.  Yan kasi yung nasa pic ni sir sardaukar:

Here's what I'm talking about:

I'm not sure if it's a pattern created by the pixels (phosphors?) or somethng else altogether. I only see it if the room is bright and there is no picture on the screen. It's also slightly visible in dark scenes.

I think your pic shows mosquito noise, parang ganito:

http://www.videsignline.com/howto/180207350

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM »
ok lang yan...nothing starts the day better than a "hack and slash" news ;)

about the screen, try switching off your t.v, then with normal room lighting look at your screen very closely. we don't see those patterns on a g11 though...

;D

Will check again later with the TV off although so far I have not noticed the pattern when the TV is off and with the lights on. Thanks again!

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM »
@ barrister

Ah so that's what mosquito noise is. I guess it might be, although I see some artifacts that look more like the sample image you attached. I wonder if someone else has seen the exact same "issue" I'm seeing.

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #138 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 01:33 PM »
prng normal na kasi sa akin pag cable viewing..basta importante pag HD file eh nde ganyan lumabas :D

the cross-hatched pattern shown eh prang nakita ko na sa PV80 ko yan..pero nde ko na maulit yun ganun.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 01:50 PM »
@ barrister

Ah so that's what mosquito noise is. I guess it might be, although I see some artifacts that look more like the sample image you attached. I wonder if someone else has seen the exact same "issue" I'm seeing.

Mosquito noise is a common compression artifact.  

It's not the TV's fault.  May artifact na talaga yung video signal.  Kahit DVDs, meron din pag hindi magaling ang video mastering.

Maybe the artifact on your pic was caused by the TV station's software that produces the ticker and font.  I notice that the artifact is on the ticker and font, but it's not present on the videotaped picture itself.

Don't worry about artifacts on cable TV, since freeview images are so bad that artifacts are expected.  Try looking for it on a commercial DVD source, at least.  

As for the cross-hatch pattern, I found another pic, posted on avforums (U.K.):

On that pic, the patttern is most visible on the right side (where the wall is reflected) and at the top left (where the ceiling is reflected).  http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions/983263-panasonic-tx-p50x10-screen-reflection.html
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009 at 03:54 PM by barrister »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #140 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 02:10 PM »
Hello to everyone.

I need some info on the energy consumption of the 50" Panasonic plasmas.  The specs state 500w for the pv80 and 50C10.  I spoke to a saleperson at one of the stores in Shang and he said a plasma TV does not steadily consume electricity at the stated wattage.  The power usage depends on the images shown and that the power plasma TV uses is generally lower. 

He added that LCD TVs are that ones that use a steady amount of power...so if an LCD's specs read 200w--it uses up 200w all (or probably most of) the time.

I am asking this because I am thinking of getting a 50" Panny plasma to replace a 50" Sammy rear proj. TV.  The problem is that my wife will be using that set for cable viewing--around 18hrs non-stop use daily!  Naka-babad sa TV eh :-[

Bottom line...is it true that plasmas (more particularly Panasonic) energy consumption run lower than stated specs?  Is consumption relative to the pictures shown--meaning brighter pics mean more power used and vice-versa?

I know sobrang luma na to, but LCDs do usually consume less power than similar-sized plasmas.

Yung rated consumption ata is at max brightness, at hindi typical... so whether LCD or Plasma yung actual consumption would probably be much less than the rated power consumption (unless there is a nominal rating).

LCD panels usually consume the most power when displaying black in the highest brightness setting (this may no longer be the case with local dimming backlights). Plasmas consume the most power when displaying white in the highest brightness setting.

Higher resolution plasmas also tend to consume much more power than low resolution variants because the individual cells are smaller and run less efficiently (plus you have more cells to cover for the higher resolution). LCD power consumption ramp-up in relation to resolution isn't usually as steep as plasma displays.

Offline rockster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 02:48 PM »
ibalik ko lang dun sa cross-hatch question.  so, should this be a cause for any worry?  my pv8 also shows something similar after i turn it off.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 03:41 PM »
There's no need to worry, since nobody has ever had any problems about the cross-hatch pattern.

Those who notice it on their screens are not bothered by the cross-hatch pattern itself.  What really worries them is the thought that it might worsen into something else.

At any rate, nobody knows what's causing it.  Some speculate that it's caused by the anti-reflective coating; some say it's an internal glass/filter reflection; and others say it could be a combination of both.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009 at 03:41 PM by barrister »

Offline rockster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 04:54 PM »
There's no need to worry, since nobody has ever had any problems about the cross-hatch pattern.

Those who notice it on their screens are not bothered by the cross-hatch pattern itself.  What really worries them is the thought that it might worsen into something else.

At any rate, nobody knows what's causing it.  Some speculate that it's caused by the anti-reflective coating; some say it's an internal glass/filter reflection; and others say it could be a combination of both.

thanks for the reply, sir. so, i suppose only time will tell.  if i may ask further, i suppose this only happens to plasma screens?  and is it unique to panasonic plasmas only or to plasmas in general?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #144 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 06:09 PM »

That's not the pattern I was talking about. It's what barrister posted. However, I have seen what you are referring to also from watching a UAAP game. I think it has to do with the signal/video quality from the source. I've actually only noticed it in UAAP games and not from any other source or channel so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 06:33 PM »
;D

Will check again later with the TV off although so far I have not noticed the pattern when the TV is off and with the lights on. Thanks again!

it's not really that bad when you get to see it. sa pv80 and pv70 esp sa c10 and py800 it's not really much of an issue, dahil during regular viewing you don't get to see them anymore. sa s10 naman the pattern is...how do i say it...hmmm...fater than usual?

on the g11 so far wala naman, but i'll look at it again.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 08:00 PM »
thanks for the reply, sir. so, i suppose only time will tell.  if i may ask further, i suppose this only happens to plasma screens?  and is it unique to panasonic plasmas only or to plasmas in general?

Unique to Panasonic plasmas.

The only cross-hatch pattern cases I've read about are on the Panasonic plasmas, starting from the 11th gen models (2008).

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009 at 08:03 PM by barrister »

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM »
That's not the pattern I was talking about. It's what barrister posted. However, I have seen what you are referring to also from watching a UAAP game. I think it has to do with the signal/video quality from the source. I've actually only noticed it in UAAP games and not from any other source or channel so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Yup, it looks like it's a different thing altogether. I can see hints of something similar using a Pioneer DVD sending out a 480i signal to the TV. I tried better cables from the Sky Cable digibox to the TV: the picture improved (so the cables are staying) although this artifact still shows up. I'll just ignore it then.

it's not really that bad when you get to see it. sa pv80 and pv70 esp sa c10 and py800 it's not really much of an issue, dahil during regular viewing you don't get to see them anymore. sa s10 naman the pattern is...how do i say it...hmmm...fater than usual?

on the g11 so far wala naman, but i'll look at it again.

I checked, I don't see it on the G10.  :)

Offline zidack

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Sep 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM »
guys

i just got a 42x10s last monday. need help on calibration and all. is this a good unit compared to the c10?
so far i have been using the zoom 3 to even out all colors of the screen. im currently doing the 100 hours break in test.

do i need any impt things to do? im just watching dvds and cable. havent tried my ps3  maybe after the break in test.

any chance you guys can teach me the white wash and white blast procedure?

thank you

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Sep 25, 2009 at 12:37 AM »
Baket parang sa UAAP nahahalata yung cross pattern?  I noticed that too.  Oddly enough, I notice the black corss patterns especially near the white cross pattern of the net.