Author Topic: External ODD for use on NMTs  (Read 3994 times)

Offline azzileur

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
External ODD for use on NMTs
« on: Jan 29, 2009 at 12:50 PM »
matagal na ko collector ng videos kaya naka-backup sa mga dvdr yung sakin.  question ko lang kung meron na ba nakapag-try sa mga nmt owners dito na gamitin mga external odd?  alin nmt kaya supported mga external usb odd?

salamat mga sir.

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: External ODD for use on NMTs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 01:57 PM »
Yung TVIX pupuwede basta hindi region protected yung content.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 04:51 AM »
The egreat has that capability as well.  No region issues, too, iirc.

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 09:26 PM »
I assembled myself an external ODD---internal DVD ROM + 5.25" USB enclosure---for my egreat.  you can connect an external ODD to all NMT using Syabas software (e.g. popcorn hour, egreat, HDX, etc.)
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2009 at 09:28 PM by milken »

Offline air ween

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 03:15 AM »
sorry for a noob question, but what is an OOD? ???

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 03:43 AM »
sorry for a noob question, but what is an OOD? ???

Chief, baka ODD? ODD - Optical Disc Drive.  ;)

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 06:45 AM »
I wonder if the LG BD Rom and BD-RW drives are already available in Gilmore...

Offline joeyrodil

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 04:22 PM »
yes but expensive i saw one the lowest around 6K in PC Hub
do not do unto others what can you do for today

Offline Huddaf

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 01:35 AM »
Question is, would it be practical to connect a bd rom drive to an NMT? Possible ba na ma maximize yun if connected to an NMT?  ???

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 04:22 AM »
Question is, would it be practical to connect a bd rom drive to an NMT? Possible ba na ma maximize yun if connected to an NMT?  ???

If the NMT can rip BD's and HD DVD's, then why not?  :)

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 01:45 PM »

I'm not so sure whether NMTs can support an ext. bd rom drive.  Here's my analysis.  First of all, the specs of egreat/pch didn't say so. dvd rom drive lang nakalagay.  Second, even for ext dvd rom, NMT can only play backup copy of DVDs and not those with CSS encryption.  If we follow the same logic and assuming NMTs can support an ext. bd rom drive, there's a possibility that NMTs can't play an encrypted bluray disc but can 'probably' play a backup copy of bluray discs.  Note that the cost of blank bluray discs nowadays are still expensive and it would not be practical to copy and burn bluray discs for playback in NMT via ext bd rom drive.  Baka mas practical pa mag-backup ng bluray disc sa hard disc..

Again, these are all my speculation.  It would be nice if someone actually try it and post his experience here for the information of everyone.  Bro huddaf, bili na ng bd rom drive and update nyo kami. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2009 at 01:47 PM by milken »

Offline Huddaf

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 10:27 PM »
If the NMT can rip BD's and HD DVD's, then why not?  :)

I think they can play back ripped BDs and HDDVDs but BD/HDDVD themselves. I think thats a different story. Unless, NMTs have this firmware updates that can make it work.  :-\

Offline Huddaf

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 10:29 PM »
I'm not so sure whether NMTs can support an ext. bd rom drive.  Here's my analysis.  First of all, the specs of egreat/pch didn't say so. dvd rom drive lang nakalagay.  Second, even for ext dvd rom, NMT can only play backup copy of DVDs and not those with CSS encryption.  If we follow the same logic and assuming NMTs can support an ext. bd rom drive, there's a possibility that NMTs can't play an encrypted bluray disc but can 'probably' play a backup copy of bluray discs.  Note that the cost of blank bluray discs nowadays are still expensive and it would not be practical to copy and burn bluray discs for playback in NMT via ext bd rom drive.  Baka mas practical pa mag-backup ng bluray disc sa hard disc..

Again, these are all my speculation.  It would be nice if someone actually try it and post his experience here for the information of everyone.  Bro huddaf, bili na ng bd rom drive and update nyo kami. :)

Haha Patay tayo dyan! Maybe we can PM or request Richie to test it for us? Calling Gren here!  :D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 01:42 PM »

No.  Why would someone buy an NMT in the first place, honestly speaking?

Offline thesaint

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 05:56 PM »

ewan nga natin sa iba. pinipilit pa rin yung ODD sa NMT/Media player.
Alam naman natin na yung back-up nila ay iso format.
Or baka yung mga back-up nila ay in form of media disc pa rin...

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 11:29 AM »

I think the question is coming from a NMT owner and one deciding whether to buy a brand new bluray player or just an external bd rom drive for less than half the BD player's price.  Some members buy the bluray discs of the movies they like and just dl the others.  So they just want to maximize their NMTs to do other stuff at lesser cost.

Actually supported talaga ang external DVD-ROM drive sa NMT. Yung BD ROM drive hindi pa sure kung pwede or available thru firmware updates.  NMT can access backup data sa DVDs not only in ISO format.  It can read data files like mkvs, avis, jpeg, mp3, flac, audio cds, etc.  I've backed up a lot of data to DVDs/CDs throughout the years so it's practical for me to hook up an external ODD to NMT to access them without need of a PC.  But since HDD are getting cheaper, I think the more practical route nowadays is to store files in HDD.

Another workaround to those who want to access files in the DVD-ROM drive of their PC is via networking using myihome. Networking sets NMT apart from media players like WDTV.  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009 at 11:34 AM by milken »

Offline Huddaf

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 04:35 PM »

I guess everyone has their reason. Unfortunately, people will always look for ways to maximize their toys.

Thats the beauty of individuality. They can do what they want with what they have. Is there something wrong with it? Kanya kanyang preference yan if you have money to burn.

I guess what we are trying to do here is discuss all possible options to maximize our NMTs. May it be practical or not.

;)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 04:50 PM »
I think the question is coming from a NMT owner and one deciding whether to buy a brand new bluray player or just an external bd rom drive for less than half the BD player's price.  Some members buy the bluray discs of the movies they like and just dl the others.  So they just want to maximize their NMTs to do other stuff at lesser cost.

I fully understand where the question was coming from.  I just dont think its practical to spend 6K on a device that is primarily used as a player of high def files not stored on BD disks.  If I were to spend 6K on an accessory that cannot be used as a standalone unit, then I would rather save more money and get a BD player to have more reliability, as well as flexibility especially in terms of simultaneous viewing or usage at different rooms in the house.    Maximizing the capability of this particular device is not necessarily practical - me thinks.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009 at 04:51 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 07:01 AM »
I fully understand where the question was coming from.  I just dont think its practical to spend 6K on a device that is primarily used as a player of high def files not stored on BD disks. 

On the contrary, the usefulness of an NMT is unchallenged for its price range.  The functionality is also quite utilitarian, if you ask me.  People are just looking for ways to make the most of their gadget, I guess.

If I were to spend 6K on an accessory that cannot be used as a standalone unit, then I would rather save more money and get a BD player to have more reliability, as well as flexibility especially in terms of simultaneous viewing or usage at different rooms in the house.

The premise discussed is really not to build a BD player off of an NMT but to see if this functionality can be leveraged as a value-add.   IIRC, the aim was really not to create an out and out BD player but to see if this functionality could be a possible spin-off.

Maximizing the capability of this particular device is not necessarily practical - me thinks.

It would be practical if somebody already had an outstanding external BD/HD DVD drive that connects using USB; instead of ditching it or letting it rot in your attic, why not connect it to the NMT and still make use of it?  It would be a totally different matter if NMT owners would encourage each other to scrounge around looking for BD ROM drives.  And btw, if this functionality is available, a BD-ROM drive addition would most certainly be a welcome surprise to many an NMT owner.

Disclaimer:  I do not have an NMT.

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 09:14 AM »

Actually supported talaga ang external DVD-ROM drive sa NMT. Yung BD ROM drive hindi pa sure kung pwede or available thru firmware updates.  NMT can access backup data sa DVDs not only in ISO format.  It can read data files like mkvs, avis, jpeg, mp3, flac, audio cds, etc.  I've backed up a lot of data to DVDs/CDs throughout the years so it's practical for me to hook up an external ODD to NMT to access them without need of a PC.  But since HDD are getting cheaper, I think the more practical route nowadays is to store files in HDD.

Another workaround to those who want to access files in the DVD-ROM drive of their PC is via networking using myihome. Networking sets NMT apart from media players like WDTV.  :)

i agree with you bro milken. i'm not a bd player user yet, but i'm thinking of getting one (either stand-alone or bd-rom, if possible to run thru nmt). i'm one of those hopefuls of bd-rom-nmt tandem, there are a lot of bd releases which i can't get thru dl yet, e.g. international films, documentaries etc.. :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 06:22 PM »
Ok, to each his own.  I have my own interpretation of the term practical and others have their own.  That's fine.

Just be reminded na internal bd drives require SATA connection and the cheapest one capable of reading recordable bd disks in addition to bd rom  is LG.  Yun siguro yung 6K dyan sa Pilipinas because its like 8.5K here in Tokyo based on current exchange rates.  So kung balak nyong magkabit ng internal drive, make sure you'd find a way to connect it through eSATA - find the proper enclosure or mount dahil di naman puedeng exposed yung internal drive.

If you can only do with USB2.0 connection, then you have no choice but to go with external bd drive and the cheapest one Ive seen so far is almost the same price as an NMT.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 06:28 PM »
... there are a lot of bd releases which i can't get thru dl yet, e.g. international films, documentaries etc.. :)

I would have to respectfully disagree with this one.  It's opposite in my experience.  The downloadable selection, legal or otherwise, is so much wider not only in terms of movies but also in terms of TV series, docs, sports, events, educational stuff, foreign films, etc.  Many of them shown on TV in high definition will never be released in bd but are downloadable.

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2009 at 06:30 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 06:08 PM »
I would have to respectfully disagree with this one.  It's opposite in my experience.  The downloadable selection, legal or otherwise, is so much wider not only in terms of movies but also in terms of TV series, docs, sports, events, educational stuff, foreign films, etc.  Many of them shown on TV in high definition will never be released in bd but are downloadable.

we have opposite experience nga siguro bro, and to add, different preference. saw some documentaries downloadable in HDTV, but i let it pass, mas prefer ko kasi HD file from BD source. there are documentaries and foreign films already released in BD but, unfortunately, wala pa sa public torrent sites (siguro for now) :) mas priority ng release groups yung mga sikat na materials :)