Author Topic: Which to choose E-great M31A or M31B  (Read 6963 times)

Offline bhongskie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which to choose E-great M31A or M31B
« on: Jan 30, 2009 at 02:04 PM »
Guys  pls. help.

I'm buying an NMT soon and Egreat it is.  Now I just wanna know which model to buy the older M31a or the M31B.  What are the differences from the older model?  One difference I read about the two is the the M31a only supports HDMI 1.1 while the M32b already supports HDMI 1.3.  Do I need HDMI 1.3?  My AVR (HK-240) does not output HD audio and no HDMI input for audio so ok na sakin DTS or DD 5.1 output.  For video, will connect the NMT via HDMI to my plasma.

Another functionality I am looking for is the capability of connecting the NMT to my laptop since I will be downloading mkv files from my laptop and transfer this to the NMT.  What connections should I be looking for in an NMT given this?  Would the M31a already provide me with this functionality?

I'm also thinking of buying another external HDD in case I want to add movies in the future.  My laptop only has USB ports and no eSATA so I guess I cannot make of an eSATA port in the NMT.

Please help.
TIA

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Which to choose E-great M31A or M31B
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 03:27 PM »
sir i see no distinct reason why you should get a 31a aside from maybe it sells at a much lower price point.

almost everyone's on the 31b right now.

HDMI to your plasma would work just fine.

easiest connection from a NMT to your laptop is done through usb.

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 04:32 PM »
sir i see no distinct reason why you should get a 31a aside from maybe it sells at a much lower price point.

this is exactly the reason why I am considering the M31a - it is cheaper by 2K i think
with the savings, I can just add a little and buy an external 500gb or 1tb for added storage of movies, etc. which I can play via the M31a

If all the functionality that I need can be found in the M31a then there is no reason to pay more for the M31b, or is there?  I just need the following:

1.)  Output 5.1 DD or DTS to my AVR
2.)  I can connect the NMT to my laptop so that I can copy downloaded movie files from my laptop to the NMT hard disk or vice versa.
3.)  I can connect an external DVD ROM to the NMT so that I can play stored content in the DVD via the NMT
4.)  I can connect an external hard disk (via USB) so I can play content in the extenal hard disk via the NMT

I guess my questions are:  Can the M31a do all of the above? Or there are requirements above that only the M31b can do?  What are improvements done to the M31b?

Sorry numerous questions as I only learned about NMTs just this late and felt the itch to take the plunge instead of buying a PS3 and spending on BD titles.

Your inputs are much appreciated.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 05:23 PM »
Assuming the only difference between the 31A and 31B is HDMI Ver 1.3a, here are my thoughts.

1.  I've browsed through thousands of technical infos of high def encodes in MKV containers but I haven't seen one with those funky sounding "HD" sound stream.  DTS and AC3 palang nakita ko but I've read some previous posts mentioning that they have watched MKV with TrueHD thingy.

2. But there are also those "BD or HD DVD rips" which are practically the real thing in terms of audio and video bitstream and if you would be interested in those, you'd definitely need HDMI 1.3

3. I dont think 31A would be totally outdated so soon based on currently available contents.   Video wise, who expects to see encodes with resolutions higher than 1920x1080 within, say, the next 2 years?

4. I dont think a normal user would connect an external BD or HD DVD drive to the NMT just to watch original high def disks.   That feels like WHAT to me.

5.  I understand NMTs play FLAC too.  I'm not sure if you need HDMI 1.3 for that but if you are interested in lossless music, you'd better verify.

6.  HDMI 1.3 support those deep color thingy - higher than 24 bit color stream.  There is a possibility that encoders may be able to take advantage of that feature soon, or maybe it doesn't matter because of the compression.

But in any case, I would probably just choose 31B or 32B in the end.   

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 05:59 PM »
thanks clondalkin.  I have no use (for now, nor in the near term) for HD Audio, lossless music capability since my AVR cannot do them and I am not upgrading my AVR just yet.  I will in the future but maybe then there will be better NMT which could justify an NMT upgrade.

there is one physical difference between the 31a and 31b that I noticed - the back panel connections.

31a:  PS2-type component and AV-out connections (special cables), same as PS2 mouse connections
31b:  component and other outputs are the usual RCA types (no need for special cables) and of course the eSATA ports

However, I would only need the HDMI for video and the optical for audio and the USB host and slave for laptop connectivity.  Is there any compelling reason I should go for 31b given my requirements stated previously?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 06:17 PM »
thanks clondalkin.  I have no use (for now, nor in the near term) for HD Audio, lossless music capability since my AVR cannot do them and I am not upgrading my AVR just yet.  I will in the future but maybe then there will be better NMT which could justify an NMT upgrade.

there is one physical difference between the 31a and 31b that I noticed - the back panel connections.

31a:  PS2-type component and AV-out connections (special cables), same as PS2 mouse connections
31b:  component and other outputs are the usual RCA types (no need for special cables) and of course the eSATA ports

However, I would only need the HDMI for video and the optical for audio and the USB host and slave for laptop connectivity.  Is there any compelling reason I should go for 31b given my requirements stated previously?

I think the 31a covers your basic requirements.

But in my case, you just gave me a compelling reason to choose the 31B (in case).  I want that standard component video output and the eSATA ports. 

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 06:35 PM »
I think the 31a covers your basic requirements.

But in my case, you just gave me a compelling reason to choose the 31B (in case).  I want that standard component video output and the eSATA ports. 

yup the eSATA should be handy for most people.  As for me, my laptop only has USB2 ports so my only external HDD option are those that come in USB-type (I guess). I learned,  though, that transfer speeds for eSATA is considerably faster than USB so file copying will be faster and makes the 31b more attractive for most.

For those with actual experience with m31a and m31b can you kindly share your experiences both bad and good   ;D

thanks

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 07:31 PM »
Based on Grens price, 31a is cheaper by 3k, add another 3k and you get 1TB na, I did not considered the 1.3 since it is useless to me. Kung pass through lang okay na 31a. Another difference I noticed was the fan is already placed at the back for 31b, which again..doesn't matter to me.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2009 at 08:40 PM by frootloops »

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 08:35 PM »
31b works only well with hdmi 1.3 receivers. I think 31a should work fine with you.  :)

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 10:32 AM »
Based on Grens price, 31a is cheaper by 3k, add another 3k and you get 1TB na, I did not considered the 1.3 since it is useless to me. Kung pass through lang okay na 31a. Another difference I noticed was the fan is already placed at the back for 31b, which again..doesn't matter to me.  ;)

exactly my thoughts  ;)

31b works only well with hdmi 1.3 receivers. I think 31a should work fine with you.  :)

thanks guys. yeah, I made up my mind and my choice would be 31a since it gets me the basic requirements I need.  thanks for your inputs.

btw, do you guys know how much a blank double layer DVD go for these days?  DO you think most downloadable HD movies would fit in a double layer DVD?  HOw about single layer kasya din kaya?  How large is a typical ,mkv movie?  I'm thinking of creating back-ups kasi in a DVD (double or single layer) since may burner naman ako so might as well make use of it para kapag medyo sawa na sa movie erase ko na lang sa hard disk ng NMT at burn na lang sa DVD.

thanks

Offline joeyrodil

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 10:40 AM »

btw, do you guys know how much a blank double layer DVD go for these days?  DO you think most downloadable HD movies would fit in a double layer DVD?  HOw about single layer kasya din kaya?  How large is a typical ,mkv movie?  I'm thinking of creating back-ups kasi in a DVD (double or single layer) since may burner naman ako so might as well make use of it para kapag medyo sawa na sa movie erase ko na lang sa hard disk ng NMT at burn na lang sa DVD.

thanks

to give you an idea
some 720p movies varies from 4.3GB - 8GB
some 1080p movies varies from 6GB - 30GB, although ive seen one as big as 43GB for one movie alone (i regret to download though ) :)

so i think the trend now is its more comfortable to store it in the external harddisk because some files cannot be backup anymore in a Duial Layer DVDR
do not do unto others what can you do for today

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 10:44 AM »
exactly my thoughts  ;)

thanks guys. yeah, I made up my mind and my choice would be 31a since it gets me the basic requirements I need.  thanks for your inputs.

thanks

This is what I exactly do nowadays. Backing up mkvs on dvds. And I have to admit that the effort really pays well. I've saved a humongous gigabites on my hd. The cheapest dual layer I got was 40.00 each. But you have to test one for yourself first. Blank media sometimes are picky.  :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 11:16 AM »

Saves you money, but you'd get tired of burning back-ups on DVD-R once the files stack up.  It takes approx. 10 mins to burn and verify a 4.5GB disk, longer if you deliberately slow burn, even longer if your media is not reliable and results to coasters.  Once your burn it on disk, chances are you wont touch that file again.

Nowadays, I keep blank single layer DVD-Rs mainly for emergency back-up; cases when I cant wait to download something but the hard drive space is nearly gone.

If you stick with 720p contents with AC3 sound and TV series, most of them would fit a single layer DVD-R.  If DTS na ang soundstream, the file would be around 5GB or bigger already.

If you live your life normally, it would take you many months to finish the contents of an HDD - perhaps enough time to save money for another HDD instead of buying and burning disks.  A 1TB HDD can fit about 950GB of data.  You'd need about 210 DVD-R to back-up the whole thing or approx. 3000 pesos for blank media alone.  210 x 10 = 2100 mins = 35 hours of actual copying and verifying - how do you put value on that?   

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 11:26 AM »
thanks for the inputs I appreciate them.  My plan now it to get the m31a with 1tb hdd and will purchase another 1tb in maybe 3 months.  I still plan to back up some of the movies in DVDs though if there is a need.

Another question (hope you don't mind):  think i read somewhere that older versions of e-great and popcorn hour or most of the other NMTs for that matter do not support DTS decoding.  Does this mean the m31a cannot output 5.1 DTS or DD to my AVR?

Offline joeyrodil

• Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 12:52 PM »
Saves you money, but you'd get tired of burning back-ups on DVD-R once the files stack up.  It takes approx. 10 mins to burn and verify a 4.5GB disk, longer if you deliberately slow burn, even longer if your media is not reliable and results to coasters.  Once your burn it on disk, chances are you wont touch that file again.

Nowadays, I keep blank single layer DVD-Rs mainly for emergency back-up; cases when I cant wait to download something but the hard drive space is nearly gone.

If you stick with 720p contents with AC3 sound and TV series, most of them would fit a single layer DVD-R.  If DTS na ang soundstream, the file would be around 5GB or bigger already.

If you live your life normally, it would take you many months to finish the contents of an HDD - perhaps enough time to save money for another HDD instead of buying and burning disks.  A 1TB HDD can fit about 950GB of data.  You'd need about 210 DVD-R to back-up the whole thing or approx. 3000 pesos for blank media alone.  210 x 10 = 2100 mins = 35 hours of actual copying and verifying - how do you put value on that?   
much better if we store it in a harddisk, ive seen a 1 terabyte cost as low as 5.2K, so if the DVDR for back-up alone will cost me 3000, plus the time for copying/verifying is more expensive

For me ill only backup to DVDR if when necessary (to share to friends etc)
its your choice, in a matter of time harddisk cost will drop off significantly

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 03:55 PM »
Not to mention the fact that a DVD-+R has a limited lifespan (around 2-3, IIRC) years depending on how it's stored and the quality of the organic dyes used.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 04:57 PM »
Not to mention the fact that a DVD-+R has a limited lifespan (around 2-3, IIRC) years depending on how it's stored and the quality of the organic dyes used.

That short?  Maski Taiyo Yuden or Mitsubishi Kagaku na brands?

Ma-check nga yung mga kinopya ko in 2005.   

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 05:59 PM »
for me, instead of burning it to disk, bibili na lang ako ng fresh 1tb o 1.5tb loaded with ehem. mas mura na per movie, less space pa.  ;D kumbaga e, 1st generation (2nd pala o 3rd) pa ang copy mo... basta mas less error. dun pa kse magkakatalo sa kalidad ng dvr-r mo e.  ;)

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 08:36 AM »
Good for you guys. Good to know you all have a perfect way of backing up mkvs. Unlike me. I've experienced crashed hard disk twice with all my valuable mkvs in it. This is the reason why I'm now in a habit of backing up on dvds. It may not be the perfect solution but it will definitely not include all my files when it happens again. That's the way I calculate its "VALUE".  :)

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 10:41 AM »
anyone can shed some light on the question below?

Another question (hope you don't mind):  think i read somewhere that older versions of e-great and popcorn hour or most of the other NMTs for that matter do not support DTS decoding.  Does this mean the m31a cannot output 5.1 DTS or DD to my AVR?

what's your experience?

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 10:47 AM »
Good for you guys. Good to know you all have a perfect way of backing up mkvs. Unlike me. I've experienced crashed hard disk twice with all my valuable mkvs in it. This is the reason why I'm now in a habit of backing up on dvds. It may not be the perfect solution but it will definitely not include all my files when it happens again. That's the way I calculate its "VALUE".  :)

amigo, bad experience yun ah. anong brands of hard disks ang gamit mo? basta lang ba nag crush? how long used each? di naman kaya na abused? and paano ba natin maiiwasan ito? tnx/

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 12:44 PM »

what's your experience?

If your AVR has DTS decoding, you will be able to hear DTS and DD through your AVR using Egreat. If your AVR does not have DTS decoding, you will only hear DD audio (no sound for DTS).
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 12:46 PM by sardaukar »

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:39 PM »

what's your experience?

If you would look at the specs of even the newer PCH, there's still no DTS decoding - only DTS passthough
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:44 PM »
If your AVR has DTS decoding, you will be able to hear DTS and DD through your AVR using Egreat. If your AVR does not have DTS decoding, you will only hear DD audio (no sound for DTS).

great! no problem then.  thanks for the reply

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:46 PM »
Hi raptor! Hope you don't mind this question... diba di na kayo naka PCH? You should change your sig na. :)

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 02:10 PM »
Hi raptor! Hope you don't mind this question... diba di na kayo naka PCH? You should change your sig na. :)

hehe ... thanks for the reminder sir ... di ko na-notice
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 02:24 PM »

If you would look at the specs of even the newer PCH, there's still no DTS decoding - only DTS passthough

for the pch a-110 may dts decoder na sya built in :)

Offline dinoalbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 03:34 PM »
I have finally decided to get an Egreat over a PCH....pero hindi pa ngayon.....I will just wait for a firmware update of Egreat na sabi magkaroon na ng DTS decoding with such update. Sana meron nga at sana very soon :)

Now the problem is which Egreat.

Can anyone post here a picture of the panels (back and front) of both models of Egreat?

Or maybe a URL?

para makilatis muna :)

thanks...

Offline joeyrodil

• Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 03:43 PM »
I think eHome can help you decide

You can reach them @ 7445923
You may even vist their office @
G01 Annapolis Wilshire Plaza, 11 Annapolis St San Juan GreenHills
Richie and other guys can help you tour which NMT will suit your needs
You will not regret choosing eGreat!!! :)

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 04:42 PM »
You can also browse their homepage at: http://ehome.multiply.com/

Click on photos and you'll see pics of the 31a and 31b among others.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 04:46 PM by sardaukar »