Author Topic: help in usind DVI/HDMI cable  (Read 1735 times)

Offline dinoalbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
help in usind DVI/HDMI cable
« on: Feb 01, 2009 at 06:45 PM »
hope somebody can help.

Before, Im using my laptop (vga port) to watch downloaded movies...its connected to my 32" LCDTV (vga port) using a VGA cable.

Then I discovered that my LCDTV is HD-ready ang it has 2 HDMI ports.

I was thinking of connecting my laptop to the TV via HDMI. Since my laptop has no HDMI port, I bought 2 parts:

1. D-sub 15pin to DVI-I 29pin cable
2. DVI 29pin to HDMI adaptor

So now my setup goes like this:

Laptop (VGA port) <--- D-sub 15pin - DVI-I 29pin cable <--> DVI 29pin - HDMI adaptor ---> LCDTV (HDMI port)

Start playing the movie and on my LCDTV I chose HDMI as the source.

Unfortunately, theres no output, the movie is not showing on my LCDTV screen.....unlike nung VGA cable palang ginagamit ko.

Can anyone please tell me what to do? Pwede ba yung ginawa ko?

Thanks...

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2009 at 06:47 PM by dinoalbert »

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
Re: help in usind DVI/HDMI cable
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 09:53 PM »
Even if your new setup works, you won't be improving anything on the video quality, and you will definitely not be having audio through the hdmi connection with that setup ... if it works, you'll probably be decreasing the quality because of the added interconnections (signal loss + possible noise).

You would be better off with your original setup.

HDMI connection would be recommended if your PC or laptop has a built-in HDMI port, which can also transmit the audio.
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline dinoalbert

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 10:30 PM »
oh so this is what I get for experimenting without asking the experts hehehe.

thanks sir....I guess I will have to go back to my orig VGA setup.

now...time to sell those cables and adaptors which I just bought yesterday, naka-2K pa naman gastos ko dun :(

Offline dinoalbert

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 11:09 PM »
by the way I was thinking....

my desktop PC have DVI ports....if Im going to use that to connect to my LCDTV using DVI-HDMI cable, will I be getting a better picture quality than with my current setup (laptop connected to my LCDTV using VGA cable) ?

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 12:29 AM »
by the way I was thinking....

my desktop PC have DVI ports....if Im going to use that to connect to my LCDTV using DVI-HDMI cable, will I be getting a better picture quality than with my current setup (laptop connected to my LCDTV using VGA cable) ?

theoretically yes, but based on my experience, i really don't see any difference in quality when i'm connecting my LCD monitor with either DVI or standard VGA connection ... the difference is probably minimal to notice

the real advantage of the HDMI connectivity is you only use one cable to route both video and audio - this works with newer model laptops or with HTPC's using the integrated video controller with HDMI output ... highest resolution that the LCD or plasma tv can achieve is normally attainable by direct VGA or DVI connection

Offline dinoalbert

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 12:38 AM »
thank you again sir.

So I guess, for me to enjoy HD movies, either I buy a NMT ot I need to convert my desktop PC to HTPC, is that correct?

I have a question about this in another more appropriate thread :)

Offline bejiboys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 05:34 PM »
Let me try to answer your questions.

HDMI is "signal-compatible" with DVI, only for the digital portion, not the analog signal.
Since your original source is VGA (analog), even if you use a DVI-I (analog and digital) converter, you can't get HDMI output.
Bottom-line is, you at least need to have/derive a DVI-D source to output HDMI using a native VGA output.  You can't do this by just using adaptors.   

You may try to confirm this using a desktop with native DVI-I outputs.  Use your DVI-I to HDMI converter and video should display correctly.

Theoretically, connecting your PC via DVI to HDMI will yield better results, as there is no conversion from one domain to another.  How significant the difference is very relative and subject to one's perception.  :)

Offline dinoalbert

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 11:59 PM »
Thank you for all your inputs it indeed helps a lot.

I am now using my decktop PC....I just learned it can be an HTPC.

My PC has DVI ports only but my LCDTV has HDMI port only....so Im using a DVI-DVI cable and a DVI-HDMI adaptor and it works now......tried playing a mkv file and wow for the first time I was able to play and watch HD movie on my 32" LCDTV (after 2 years since I bought it hehehe).

PC (DVI) <-- DVI-DVI cable--><--DVI-HDMI adaptor--> LCDTV (HDMI)

Am I doing it correctly?

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 12:33 AM »
Thank you for all your inputs it indeed helps a lot.

I am now using my decktop PC....I just learned it can be an HTPC.

My PC has DVI ports only but my LCDTV has HDMI port only....so Im using a DVI-DVI cable and a DVI-HDMI adaptor and it works now......tried playing a mkv file and wow for the first time I was able to play and watch HD movie on my 32" LCDTV (after 2 years since I bought it hehehe).

PC (DVI) <-- DVI-DVI cable--><--DVI-HDMI adaptor--> LCDTV (HDMI)

Am I doing it correctly?

That's correct, but it would have been simpler if you were able to use a single DVI-HDMI cable ... for the audio, you might want to spice it up a bit by connecting 5.1 good quality speakers on your PC - this way you do not have to worry about DTS decoding or whatever new audio format comes out - there are always available decoders for the PC.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 12:38 AM by raptor »

Offline dinoalbert

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
thanks again, raptor..you helped a lot.